Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RWBY Thread

Moving it from the old forums here.

I just have had a chance to watch the latest episode, Stray, and I must say that despite the wonky animation in some places, it's one of my favourites yet. The focus finally moves back on to the four titular characters, and especially we find out more about both Blake and Weiss.

This episode is a nice little package of bottle world building and character development, and I have to say it also has the best camera work out of the series up to now. Even without any form of action it has gotten me pumped about the end of Volume 1.

Character development is nice. GIVE ME FIGHT SCENE NOW

Okay, yes, I know that Monty Oum can't just churn out these super-complex fight scenes whenever he wants, but dammit, isn't that what we're all here for?

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

Well, it's certainly what I came for. What I'm here for currently... I'm not really sure, to be honest. But I'd certainly not complain about a battle soonish.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

They way I see it, there no way they arent going the end Volume 1 with some kind of big battle. After all, the girls have fought has a team once, and I really hope that whatever trouble is coming their way can give us both more awesome stunts and resolve the situation Blake and Weiss are in right now.

Comment

I was totally not expecting the big reveal about Jaune. I genuinely thought that he was going to be the "doofy guy with lots of hidden potential who got in on merit but sucks at tests" dude. I really didn't think that he had straight-up lied to get into Beacon. Also, I hadn't expected them to make Weiss such a blatant, unapologetic racist.

"The true object of all human life is play. Earth is a task garden; heaven is a playground." -G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by blackwingedheaven View Post
            I was totally not expecting the big reveal about Jaune. I genuinely thought that he was going to be the "doofy guy with lots of hidden potential who got in on merit but sucks at tests" dude. I really didn't think that he had straight-up lied to get into Beacon. Also, I hadn't expected them to make Weiss such a blatant, unapologetic racist.
            To be fair, the way Yang talked about White Fang, it seems like this sort of sentiment isn't uncommon. You know, "they aren't all bad," etc. If anything, it sounds like Ruby is pretty out there for just flat-out accepting the faunus without a hint of racial animus.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

They're an armed group working against the system. Of course they'll be seen badly, and going too far is a matter of course. Reasons, good or bad, tend to lose relevance quite quickly with those groups. Add the backlash effect of minorities seeking privileges rather than equality and bam.

Comment

I am the guy who can run Hunter games that don't have a fight till the end of the story. I can go without a big fight.

That said, it would be weird if the season ended without some kind of fight.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

I'm not sure if Weiss is racist or just bitter about about White Fang's assaults on her father's company.

I'm just hoping that we are at the end of the High School Hijinks part, because that was getting annoying, and we can move on to, well, whatever it is this series is supposed to be about, because I'm not really sure anymore. I thought it was supposed to be about battling monsters and other threats, but Oum and company don't seem to be interested in foregrounding that. I like an occasional character episode that doesn't have to advance the plot, but to many episodes like that make a show feel like its plodding or just going nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by samcwic View Post
                    I'm not sure if Weiss is racist or just bitter about about White Fang's assaults on her father's company.
                    Can you really tell the two apart? Weiss has good reason to dislike the White Fang, but she's generalized the feeling to all faunus (fauni?). She's put them all in the same category - trash.

That's not to say she's a monster. Stereotyping is, from what I understand, the default behavior of the human brain. One person hurts us and we designate their whole kind (however we perceive that) as enemies.

Weiss is simply human. She's got some lessons to learn and I think Blake's going to be her unwilling teacher.

So, who'd win in a fight, Weiss or Blake?

Masters of the Industrial Elements
                    Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                    Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                    The Underworld (3rd Edition)
                    ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

It sounds to me like she has a dim view of any Faunus that commit crimes or cause mischief. Monkey-dude was causing trouble, so she sees him as a "troublesome faunus" and places him in the "horrible person" pile.

Comment

That's the way I see it, too. Just goes to show that extremists hurt their own cause. They may be fighting for faunus rights, but their just hurting faunus-human relations (are faunus considered human, or are they a different race altogether?)

In a fight, I'd say Blake. I'm thinking Weiss might tend to be overconfident and underestimate her opponent.
                        Last edited by samcwic; 11-05-2013, 05:57 AM. Reason: Edit: I mean race in the fantasy or D&D sense, of course. Perhaps species is a better word.

Comment

I'm fascinated to see a show that actually deals with the topic of racism without making its main characters pure bastions of modern civil rights sentiment. Did not expect that kind of depth out of RWBY, I'll admit.

As to who would win, Blake in a minute. Weiss is probably smarter, and her dust/sigils makes her a more dangerous combatant in theory, but Blake fights dirty. And again, she probably has the night vision thing going on, so I'd bet dollars to donuts that Blake would know well enough to only confront Weiss when it's too dark for her to see.

Comment

From what we've seen, I don't think we can conclusively tell who'd win between Weiss and Blake. Some situations would favour each of them.

As has been said, Blake is probably better at creating battlefield advantage by sneak attacks and hit-and-run tactics, and I also get the feeling that she's actually more skilled than Weiss in terms of actually handling Gambol Shroud. If she manages to keep her distance and wait for the right moment to unload, Blake certainly has an edge.

I also think that if Weiss gets to have enough Dust for Myrtenaster (and we've never seen that ammo for that thing is any kind of problem for her), and can manage to keep the battle sufficiently white room and in your face, she has the upper hand in terms of versatility and possibly also damage output. She might not be as martially skilled as Blake, but Myrtenaster has so many different effects that I feel like she should be able to counter most of what Blake can throw out, and with her Semblance (the movement glyphs, as I've understood it), she's in a really good spot. We've not seen Blake do much else than huge damage, and honestly, it's mostly been against mooks as well. Of course, this might mean she has something more to pull out, maybe a Semblance of her own, but we don't know that either.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Well, damn, here I was about to make some joke-spoiler about something everyone already knew, but we've moved past the point where it'd work.

Obviously, this means you're all White Fang and must die. Either that or filthy humans and must die. Or something.

SO...as to who would win in a fight? I haven't really seen enough fight scenes with either, so...depends.

Comment

Working...
                              X