No announcement yet.

Questions I really want the next corebook to answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calibration is moonless, as will be restated in the 3e setting chapter. No other unusual celestial phenomena are guaranteed.

Note that the text will not explicate a negative. It's not the role of the corebook to explicitly point out that the sun does shine and the stars do come out during Calibration, as such things are already the default state of affairs.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

I always assumed '10,000' was just a number used in setting to mean that there were a large number of Dragon-Blooded. Not that it was the literal number of them in Creation.

Originally posted by Omicron View Post
      I'm okay with that. I find the idea of a starless sky interestingly weird and frightening.
      I live in Las Vegas and the city produces enough light that you can't see the stars at night.
      Last edited by hippokrene; 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

Yeah. A compelling interpretation I've seen suggested on the old forums is that in old Chinese, 10,000 was code for "a lot, don't bother counting higher". I don't know if that's true or not, but I think it conveys the right idea.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

Originally posted by hippokrene View Post
          I live in Las Vegas and the city produces enough light that you can't see the stars at night.
          Same in Paris. And then sometimes the sky is cloudy and the lights of the city are reflected or something and the end result is the sky is a dark orange.

So weird.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Weimann View Post
            Yeah. A compelling interpretation I've seen suggested on the old forums is that in old Chinese, 10,000 was code for "a lot, don't bother counting higher". I don't know if that's true or not, but I think it conveys the right idea.
            It's not just ancient Chinese. 万 (ten thousand)is still used figuratively and in a lot of sayings to represent a really big number that's too big for anyone to count.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
              Calibration is moonless, as will be restated in the 3e setting chapter. No other unusual celestial phenomena are guaranteed.

Note that the text will not explicate a negative. It's not the role of the corebook to explicitly point out that the sun does shine and the stars do come out during Calibration, as such things are already the default state of affairs.
              5 consecutive, completely moonless nights are quite unusual anyway.

Comment

Oh, I thought of a question I want answered: when exactly an Eclipse can expect his diplomatic immunity to work.

(assuming they still have diplomatic immunity)

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                  What happens to a ghost that's dispersed by Ghost Eating Technique?
                  The name and description of the charm seemed to imply they won't reincarnate after that, but I believe it was RoGD2 that clarified all spirit destroying attacks send ghosts to Lethe unless stated otherwise.
                  Hasn't that Charm always been the this-is-why-the-Primordials-feared-the-Solars-enough-to-surrender-Charm?

I do not have a book right by me right now, but I am pretty sure that this Charms means that spirits die permanently. In the case of Primordials or Yozi, this means turning into a Neverborn.

Loch Ness monsters. On vacation. On a pillow.

Comment

The thing with light pollution is that the sky is bright. Out in the woods, with everything dark, the stars in the sky really pop and sparkle and you can really appreciate how much light those stars give. A night with no stars and no moon in the woods? Terrifying. Everything would be pitch black. You could not see anything at all. It would be like being in a cave.

Masters of the Industrial Elements
                    Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                    Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                    The Underworld (3rd Edition)
                    ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

I read 10,000 Dragons as being the number that the Realm claimed existed. Hence "officially" instead of officially.

Comment

Tao gives birth to one (the undifferentiated something at the beginning or before it*. kinda like the concept of Nirvana or whatever our universe might have been before* the Big Bang, Exalted's Time-Not)
                        One gives birth to two (differentiation, Big Bang, Yin and Yang, Exalted's end of Time-Not and the Shinma, especially the one that makes it so things are different from other things)
                        Two gives birth to three (interaction between Yin and Yang forming the Supreme Ultimate, dynamic interaction between the forces of the universe, possibly some aspects of some of the Shinma further defining reality, or maybe the birth of the Primordials and other beings in the Chaos. Not sure what is the best parallel for "Yin and Yang now interact and form a whole". The various "flavors" of Essence are probably part of it)
                        Three gives birth to the ten thousand things (that is, everything in the universe. "Dynamic interactions between the forms of basic forms of Essence that compose the universe lead to the existence of everything in it" apply pretty equally to classic Chinese understanding of the universe and to Exalted, I think)

*Kinda weird to refer to something as before when possibly time wasn't a thing then, but I can't find a better word

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by Kukla
                          We get that in Boston on snowy nights sometimes.
                          I always attributed that to all the yellow snow, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jutlander View Post
                            Hasn't that Charm always been the this-is-why-the-Primordials-feared-the-Solars-enough-to-surrender-Charm?

I do not have a book right by me right now, but I am pretty sure that this Charms means that spirits die permanently. In the case of Primordials or Yozi, this means turning into a Neverborn.
                            Originally posted by RoGD2
                            Certain Exalted Charms are also capable of completely destroying a ghost, eliminating any possibility of reformation. Generally, such Charms send the ghost directly into Lethe, except for Abyssal Charms, which usually send them into Oblivion.
                            I don't like it, but that's what ended up canon.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Kukla
                              We get that in Boston on snowy nights sometimes.
                              We get that in Northern Virginia pretty regularly, as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_238_1438728365271_197[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by maelstromseeker View Post
                                It's not just ancient Chinese. 万 (ten thousand)is still used figuratively and in a lot of sayings to represent a really big number that's too big for anyone to count.
                                It's not just chinese, either. Myriad was ancient greek for 10,000, but used in English chiefly to mean "lots"

Comment

Working...
                                X