Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    (although he behaves more like a Dawn)
    Caste "behavior" stereotypes are solely useful for helping new players wrap their heads around the game. Any notion that they constitute hard and fast rules or generalized norms is spurious at best.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• ((I'm a new player, though. So uh... yes? I like that Castes aren't rigid classes that define what abilities you are unable to use, but I don't really understand well what they are aside from a vague class-lite theme.))

((Clarification: I am new to playing the game and having actual characters, not to reading about the setting.))
      Last edited by Erinys; 07-17-2015, 07:05 PM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
      Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

((I'm a new player, though. So uh... yes? I like that Castes aren't rigid classes that define what abilities you are unable to use, but I don't really understand well what they are aside from a vague class-lite theme.))
        (I think of them as a "tendency." As in, "Dawns tend to be fighty general types." Mechanically, this is enforced by giving the castes free Favored Abilities in specific areas... but there's nothing stopping a player character from Favoring other Abilities instead and spending the bulk of their XP on out-of-caste charms in those Abilities.)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Deliver the Stone to Himitsu

Stones that can do nonsense like this are little but trouble.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

• Well, we know more details than that... He's never given thought to the idea of "Anathema" even though the bandit leader called him a devil. It's always "his Blessing". He's been told that some spirits won't like his Blessing because they don't like the gods, so one could assume his culture doesn't consider Terrestrial gods to be "gods", but merely spirits. (Also, someone talked to him who either knew about Exaltation or made a very good guess.) The first post says nobody around here understands that he calls himself Nameless, so his birth society is far away (either geographically or culturally). This tomb appears to be linked to his culture: the spirit knows what seems to be an older version of his language, and there's the references to horses.

Surprisingly enough, Nergui knows how to write, of all things. Given the opportunity, he'll wash himself properly. He's willing to go through a long, annoying process to braid all that hair he has, even though it'd be simpler to chop it off. I'm pretty sure it's been said he's used to old ruins, probably in the post where the talking demon mask is revealed.

I'm not quite sure whether or not Archer's Paradox is an artifact weapon. If it is, that's interesting, because it comes from his family.

And I'm probably forgetting some stuff.
            Last edited by Kazorh; 07-17-2015, 09:56 PM.

Comment

((I'm a new player, though. So uh... yes? I like that Castes aren't rigid classes that define what abilities you are unable to use, but I don't really understand well what they are aside from a vague class-lite theme.))

((Clarification: I am new to playing the game and having actual characters, not to reading about the setting.))
              This might be a great basis for a new thread

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• Originally posted by Zelbinnean View Post
                This might be a great basis for a new thread

Yes! But when I get back from my trip.

Cliff notes version on my view on Castes: I see Castes as a theme than a class or a group of abilities. A Dawn Caste is all about getting everything out into the light of day. A Night Caste is focused on actions best left in the dark. Your Dawn will fight an enemy head on in honorable combat. If that doesn't work, your night caste will sneak in to the camp and assassinate your enemy.

Of course in Second Edition, I always got screwed over with this theme idea for non-Solars, as you really didn't have much room to play with abilities. I hope in Third Edition, I can do finally make my Chosen of Serenity Martial Arts Instructor or my Fire Aspected War Strider Pilot.

I write things.

Comment

• ...but however magnificent their Power was, it was the Will that made these champions mighty. Such was the Will of the Sun’s Chosen that they could walk past the edges of the world and force their desires upon the seething chaos that lay beyond. Thus they did bring into being many wondrous things that were not to be found in the world, for they were nothing less than dreams made true.

“Hey. Wake up. We’re here.”

You shift the arm covering your face and immediately regret it as the sun pierces into your brain. Once your eyes adjust, you see the elaborate stone arch which marks the east entrance to Eight Roads passing overhead. The trip back was uneventful. You slept through most of it, since Li prefers to drive the animals at night and rest them for part of the day1.

“The master will want to see you, and the Stone, at once. I’m driving straight there. Thought you might want the chance to wake up first.”

You don’t want to wake up at all, but you can see the value in listening to Li this time. You grumble and sit up, trying to wish away the fatigue and stiffness.

The cart rolls down Nexus North Way – a wide muddy road, always busy. All around you are people going about their business, mostly passing through on their way to other places2. You ride by too many markets, shops, and street vendors to count. The smell of cooked food reminds you that you haven’t had a real meal in days. Unfortunately, all that there is in the cart is the remains of travel rations. You make do with what there is, and wish there was still some wine left. You consider hopping off the cart to go shopping, but then you remember that you didn’t bring any money and Li probably won’t stop to wait for you.

Li turns onto Riverside, moving into the rich part of Eight Roads. Based on his steering, you guess that you’re headed for the Jade district, and you are not disappointed. In time, the cart comes to a stop in front of a large, three-story tiered manor house with a wide, walled-in yard. The house looks new, judging from the weathering on the wood and bricks. Two soldiers with lamellar armor and short spears stand guard behind the yard entryway. Two others wait in before the large front doors.

Li gets off the cart and tells you to wait. You continue to sit patiently while he walks up to the guards by the door, greets them, and enters the house. Your attention wanders over the guards, who are all studiously not looking you. You’re sure that if you made any sudden movements, they would surround you immediately. Some time passes, and when the doors open again Wei3 comes out alongside Li.

“Ah, Master Nergüi,” says Wei as he approaches with a smile on his face and his hands behind his back. “We are very pleased to hear of your success. Truly, you have exceeded your considerable reputation.”

“I’m sure,” you answer, mostly out of impatience. “Would’ve been awful if I died or ran off with the rock, wouldn’t it?” You can see Li cringe.

“My lord will see you now,” Wei replies without breaking his rhythm. “If you will follow me, please…”

“Just a moment.” You slide yourself off the cart and grab your satchel along with the bundle containing your weapons. Then, thinking the better of it, you put the bundle back and unroll it part of the way to pull out Righty and Lefty. You can feel the eyes of Li, Wei, and the guards on you as you hang the swords on your belt.

“Now, Master Nergüi, surely you do not think you will need those?” says Wei, his tone somewhere between condescension and rebuke.

“I hope not.”

“You may leave your possessions here. Li will attend to them.”

“Mmhmm. And I suppose when the high-borns from Silver come to visit, you demand they give up their swords too?”

Wei frowns and does not answer.4

“Better question – do you want to try and take them from me?”

“Master Nergüi, please be reasonable.”

“I am. I’m looking after my own kit so Li can do more important things. Now will you show me in, or not? Your boss is expecting me.” Wei silently considers for a moment, then turns on his heel and makes for the door. You follow him with your satchel and the bundle at your side.

Once, when you were sober enough to wonder about it, you asked Li why he doesn’t drive the animals all day and rest them at night like most teamsters do. All he would say was that they were darklands steeds. You aren’t sure if you believe him – the horses clearly aren’t dead and you’ve never seen them drinking blood, human or otherwise. It still doesn’t explain why Li, never one to hesitate to complain, doesn’t mind riding at night when rainclouds cover the moon and stars.

Eight Roads is a middle-sized town. One major thoroughfare – Nexus North Way - bends through its center, going on its way between the big cities to the southwest and the forest communities further east. Seven other roads – Riverside, Miner’s Run, Southeast Vale, Pilgrim’s Path, Desert Way, East Hunting Farms, and Victory Road - join to the large one in the space of several miles. People, their animals, and their wagons crowd Nexus North during the day, going to the markets or just trying to get from one road to another.

Many boarding stables, hostels, restaurants, and other traveler-serving businesses line the main road, along with a number of scattered marketplaces at the road junctures. Beyond the edges of the markets and the service businesses are other kinds of trades – manufacturing, crafts, scholarly arts, Guild bankers. Past those are the residences for those who do not live in their place of business. At the edges of the town, far away from the noise and dirt of the market hubs, are the homes of the upper class – the wealthiest merchants who trade but do not travel, officials, and landowners.

Between the eight roads are six districts – from west to east, Gold (between Miner’s run and Pilgrim’s Path), Copper (between Pilgrim’s path and Desert Way), Silver (between Nexus North and Riverside), Jade (between Riverside and Southeast Vale), Tin (between Desert Way and Victory Road), and Iron (between Southeast Vale and East Hunting Farms). The rich in Eight Roads have houses in the Jade district, which is always expanding, or in the Silver district, which is where most of the old money lives and has so far resisted expansion.

Wei is a perfect bureaucrat. His robe is immaculate, just like his manners, his posture, and his mustache. You haven’t spent any time with him, but you know his type. People like him take a strange amount of pride in knowing people who are important, and love to use rules and politeness as weapons. Only the knowledge that his soft words are backed by the hard steel of others keeps you from dismissing him completely.
                  These city people have a custom, you’ve learned – nobles always go armed everywhere, and telling them to leave their swords at home is reason enough for them to cut you down. Supposedly, when one noble visits another, they personally give their weapon to the master or mistress of the house as a sign of respect. None you’ve met have shown you that consideration.

Last edited by semicasual; 03-04-2016, 04:26 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• The guards at the door follow you in, and there are two more inside. The four form a neat box around you and Wei as you walk down a wide hallway, up two flights of stairs, and into an impressive office. Large paper windows on all four walls light the room. Shelves built around these windows hold dozens of scrolls of varying sizes. Soft rugs entirely cover the floor. A finely carved and heavy-looking wooden desk sits in the center of the room, along with two chairs behind and beside it.

In the chair behind the desk is a man who you are sure is Master Himitsu. He’s tall for one of the city people – almost your height. You’re not certain how old he is – he has a short beard and mustache that are entirely black and he carries himself like a young man, but his shaved head and worry lines across his face make him look aged. His silk robes hang loosely on his lean frame, dyed dark blue and gold. When you enter the room he stands up to greet you with an amiable smile.

In the chair next to the desk sits… a woman, possibly? When you first see this her, your first thought is that you’re looking at some kind of lifelike doll, not a human. Even after studying her for a while, you wonder if she’s a real person. Her face is entirely covered in white makeup, accented with two black dots on her forehead. She smiles when you look at her, and her teeth are stained black. The white robe she wears seems much too large for her, flowing over her shoulders down to the floor. It is difficult to tell what her figure is like, but you would guess that she is much shorter than you and very thin. She has extremely long, straight black hair that pools around her feet – it may be longer than she is tall.

Something about her puts you on edge – you don’t know why, but you have this sense that she isn’t supposed to be here. She doesn’t belong in the same room with you, or in the same town with you, or in the same country with you. She doesn’t belong anywhere, and her presence is unwelcome even though she smells like poppy blossoms. She remains seated when you come in.

“Master Nergüi, my lord,” announces Wei unnecessarily. He bows, then walks back down out of the room. The guards stay in position by the stairs.

“Greetings, Nergüi. I am Himitsu, and you are welcome in my house.” says the man, spreading his arms. His voice is strong. “This is Joy of Metamorphosis,” he continues, gesturing towards the small woman. “It is our honor to finally meet you in person.”

“Honor’s mine,” you respond without conviction. Getting through the formalities is your least favorite part of these meetings. Himitsu seems to notice your disinterest and his smile shrinks.

“We are both busy men, so let us proceed to business. I am told you were successful in your adventure – may I see the artifact?”

With your free hand, you open your satchel, reach in, and withdraw the Stone of Making in a tight grip. You step towards the desk and set it down without letting go. Himitsu’s eyes light up at once and he leans in to get a closer look. Joy of Metamorphosis grimaces and crosses her hands in her lap.

“It is exactly as the scrolls describe,” declares the magus. “The Stone of Making is real.” His smile returns as he shifts his gaze from the Stone back to you. “I believe congratulations and rewards are in order.”

“First, I have some questions,” you say, pulling the stone towards you a few fractions of an inch. There are a few things about this job that are bothering you. Himitsu looks surprised, but he seems to be listening.
                    • Ask about the bandits. Did Himitsu really hire you to kill people who worked for him? Why?
                    • Ask about the stone. What does he want it for?
                    • Ask about Joy of Metamorphosis. You have a hunch that she’s not just Himitsu’s mistress or another agent. Who is she?
                    • Ask about something else. (Suggestions welcome!)
                    Last edited by semicasual; 08-18-2015, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• "Please leave your priceless magical weapons outside so we can steal them."
                      Yeah, no.

"Please come in unarmed to meet with the bastard who hired you to murder his previous hirelings."
                      Again, no.

Those three questions are all good ones. Although outright asking about this "killing previous hirelings" business sounds like a good way to piss him off hugely, and possibly get assassins sent for us. Which may not be fatal, but still problematic. Then again not asking questions like that is probably one of those formality things.
                      Last edited by Erinys; 07-19-2015, 12:04 AM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                      Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• I have a suspicion about Joy, but I wouldn't mind having i confirmed outright (don't think those teeth are "stained").

Knowing what he wants the stone for would be nice, but it might be best asked after my next question...

Namely, is he interested in hiring longer term? This guy seems like he's going places.

Comment

• > This is no simple trinket, and it was pretty well hidden and guarded. How did Himitsu know it was there?

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• Step one: ask about the bandits.

Originally posted by WarDragon View Post
                            [...](don't think those teeth are "stained").
                            I'm sure they are. It's the poppy smell you should be worried about.

Comment

• >Ask about the bandits. In a sort of offhand manner.
                              >Then ask if he's hiring more long term.
                              >Ask about the stone.
                              >Ask about Joy in Metamorphosis. Particularly why she seemed to grimace at it.
                              Last edited by Zelbinnean; 07-19-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• "I was a little surprised that the so-called 'bandits' were unsatisfactory employees. I was considering the prospects of long-term employment, but now I am not so sure. Tell me, Joy, may I call you Joy? what you think of Himetsu's management techniques."

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                                An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

Working...
                                X