From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WarDragon View Post
    Knowing what he wants the stone for would be nice, but it might be best asked after my next question...

Namely, is he interested in hiring longer term? This guy seems like he's going places.
    He did seem like a good prospect before he hired us to kill his previous employees. That isn't a good sign for our future. Also his buddy Joy somehow manages to creep us out, which is saying a lot.

His purposes with the Stone don't really seem super important, unless he plans to use it to get rid of us for knowing about it, or something like that.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
    Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post
      .... Also his buddy Joy somehow manages to creep us out, which is saying a lot.
      Joy is either an Infernal or an Abyssal, and automatically an enemy.

An enemy of the Light.
      An enemy of the Law.
      A Night caste is a Lawgiver, chosen by the Unconquered Sun.

Joy in Metamorphisis is why I am willing to take an abrasive tone with Himetsu. Might have to kill both of them, one for sure goes on the to-do list.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
      An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
        I call Liminal.

An enemy of the Light.
        An enemy of the Law.
        If this Sun type wants us to deal with his enemies, he better cough up the silver first.
        Last edited by The MG; 07-19-2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• ((I do not think there is any reason for Nergui to know anything about Abyssals or Infernals IC, or to care about "enemies of the light" even if he did know.))

Joy is just creepy. It isn't often we meet something that actually creeps us out, so that's weird and, uh, creepy.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
            Nothing in that sentence is correct. I was thinking she's most likely a summoned Neomah. Seriously, where the hell are you getting "can only be Infernal or Abyssal?" And even if she were... yeah, like Erinyes said, Nergui is a mercenary. He cares only about getting paid and living long enough to spend it.

An enemy of the Light.
            An enemy of the Law.
            Solars are not D&D paladins. They can be just as pragmatic, amoral, and downright selfish as anyone else. This particular Solar thought nothing of murdering a couple dozen people because, basically, they annoyed him and had seen his caste mark.

Joy in Metamorphisis is why I am willing to take an abrasive tone with Himetsu. Might have to kill both of them, one for sure goes on the to-do list.
            Absolutely no reason to. If you want to be the past life that was a hard-line demon hunter, fine, but even if she is a Creature of Darkness, that's not necessarily any reason for the living person in the driver's seat to get out of sorts.
            Last edited by WarDragon; 07-19-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Outvoted 3 to 1 already. Looks like Joy gets to live.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98

Comment

• Sorry. I do find it interesting that you seem to be trying to turn the morally righteous Layoro into a bloodthirsty berserker, and the amoral mercenary into a virtuous crusader, though. :P

Comment

• Nah. Joy finally looks like an enemy worth fighting, so I mentioned the first two things that came to mind. Upthread it was said that Joy is just creepy, but I think the description is of a deeper, instinctive repulsion:

"She doesn’t belong in the same room with you, or in the same town with you, or in the same country with you. She doesn’t belong anywhere, and her presence is unwelcome..."

Sounds like more than an instant dislike to me, but apparently just me. Hey, that's what votes are for.
                  Last edited by L'het'esh; 07-19-2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• I agree that it was a sense of "just plain wrong," but I don't think it was a reaction from the Exaltation, more like... she isn't supposed to be in Creation, period. I am genuinely curious what made you think that meant a corrupted Solar, though.

Comment

• “Those men you told me to kill were working for you,” you say, trying not to sound angry. “They were looking for the stone, same as I was. Was there some kind of dispute, or was it just cheaper to kill them than to pay them?”

Himitsu’s face quickly becomes a practiced blank, like a gambler’s. If he is surprised you talked to the bandits or is upset that you are confronting him about them, you can’t tell. “There was, in fact, some kind of dispute,” he says in measured tones. “Based on my assessor’s judgment of their progress over the past six weeks, it was apparent that the… workmen… I hired before you would not retrieve the artifact in a timely manner, if at all. They were also taking advantage of our arrangement to finance themselves through brigandry. Swift action was required.”

“Why? Wouldn’t the militia1 handle it if you waited?”

“Indeed they would, but then whoever commanded those militia would have control of the castle for however long they chose to hold it. Retrieving the Stone then would be... challenging.”

Also, you think, they might find out from the bandits what Himitsu was doing. They wouldn’t be happy about that. He doesn’t say it, but it’s pretty clear to you that Himitsu sent you partly to protect himself.

“It is unfortunate that we could not resolve our differences peacefully, but they left me with no choice,” says Himitsu, giving an argument that you’ve heard too many times. You’ve used those words yourself more than you’d like. “If you are concerned about your own position, perish the thought. I do not punish people who get results quickly and discretely. Now, will that be all?”

You've heard that phrase enough times to know that it actually means "I want you to leave, but I'm too polite to tell you to get lost." You may be able to push for one more question...
                      • Ask about the Stone. Why is it so important?
                      • Ask about Joy of Metamorphosis. This “assessor” is clearly someone Himitsu trusts, but who is she really?
                      • Ask for more work. The pay is good. What more could you want?
                      • Something else?
                      The noble families that rule these parts have an arrangement with each other where nobody is allowed to have their own army. Some number of bodyguards is permitted, but no more. Whenever there’s a border skirmish or something else that needs more muscle, a house can levy some peasants or mercenaries. If they don’t dismiss their levies after the fighting is over, that house gets hammered with sanctions. If that doesn’t work, then people start hiring assassins like you. You’ve ended a few family lines in your time here, although that’s not public knowledge.
                      Last edited by semicasual; 07-20-2015, 07:48 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Ask about joy and more work.

I write things.

Comment

• Ask about Joy.
                          Last edited by Erinys; 07-20-2015, 09:06 PM.

Comment

• (Made a minor edit to my post because I want you to prioritize what you think is really important - you get ONE more topic of discussion. Just one. I'm counting the last two posts as "Ask about Joy" unless you post again to clarify.)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Fair enough, where is my pay?

Comment

• I was going for more work but... This guy is an Exalt. As much as he drowns his Sorrows (?) in booze, there has to be some reason he caught the sun's eye.

Nergui tries to hid in the bottle, but sometimes his curosity gets the better of him. Ask about the stone.

I write things.

Comment

Working...
                                X