No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go out somewhere expensive. Dress nice and go talk to whoever our preferred gender is. Someone's got to appreciate all the work we've done on our hair!

I write things.

Comment

• Go out somewhere expensive, with expensive booze! It'll make you look even better bring contrite and contemplative at a temple later after you've eaten amazing food. And are really drunk. Or something.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• Go someplace cheap, being already too drunk for someplace fancy. Noodle shop with booze seems appropriate.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
        An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Go somewhere cheap. Noodles are cool. But we can afford to eat meat, so not the cheapest place ever.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
          Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• Expensive place. Go for the expensive place.

Comment

• Are there sports pubs in Creation? And if so, is our favorite team playing? Where cute members of our preferred gender(s) can be found?
              If so, that (or the closest thing to it) has my vote.

Now I'm suddenly in the mood to go to an Irish pub and order a big greasy sandwich and a really good beer....

Comment

• With all the cash you have, you might as well treat yourself.

You find trousers and a shirt that don’t have several days’ worth of mud on them along with a headband that hasn’t been soaking in your sweat. Your kit goes into the hidden compartment under your floor, except for Vortex, and your holdout knife1. After you’re finished tidying up, you stick a hair across your door and doorframe, then hit the streets.

The restaurant of choice is called Bounty of the Fields – a spacious two-story establishment with lights and streamers hung all around the outside to draw in travelers. It’s in the Gold district, far enough away from the main roads to keep the noise down but close enough to attract a steady crowd. By the time you get there, it is already packed with merchants and their families.

A familiar mustachioed man greets you at the door. “Ah, Master Nergüi,” he says, bowing slightly. “A pleasure to have you with us again2. I am afraid we are full now, but if you will have a seat I will see to it that the next table is saved for you.”

With nothing better to do, you nod in agreement and settle into one of the plush chairs by the entrance. Little screens divide the restaurant into sections so that you can eat without having to look at all of the other diners. You sit close enough to one of these screens to make out an old man’s voice on the other side, rambling loudly.

“…and they turned me away at the door, can you believe it? ‘Aya is under no obligation to match the prices of Ryuunosuke.’ I tell you, it’s a shame what the country’s coming to. The nobles would rather spite each other than profit themselves. It’s nothing like how things were when I was your age-“

“Grandpa, please don’t start the war story again,” says another voice, female and probably much younger.

“It’s important to remember these things, butterfly. We were united once. We faced a common threat, and we didn’t throw each other in front of it to slow it down, no – we stood up as one!”

You stop focusing on that conversation and let the noise of the whole restaurant wash over you – laughter, chatter, clattering tableware, soft chewing. After a while, the doorman appears in front of you. “Master Nergüi, thank you for your patience,” he says ingratiatingly. “We have a corner seat available, if you wish…”

“Yes, thank you.” You stand up and follow him around the divider. The pair of you pause to let a server balancing many trays of food walk by. Then…

“Godsblood!” exclaims the old man.

Your hand drops to Vortex. You turn around and see an elder with a long grey beard and bushy eyebrows staring at you like he has seen a ghost, mouth agape. He is sitting at a table with four other people who might be his family, if resemblance is anything to go by – a grown man and a woman, and two adolescent girls. The adults and one of the girls are looking at the old man with concern. The second girl, following the old man’s gaze, is looking at you too.

“This way, Master Nergüi,” says the doorman. You let him lead you away while voices from the old man’s table follow you.

“Are you alright, Father? What happened?”

“Nothing. I thought I saw… well, nevermind. Just these old eyes playing tricks on me, I’m sure…”

“Did you know that man who just walked by?”

“…No. I thought I did, but I’m sure it was just a coincidence.” There is a loud throat-clearing noise, then the old man speaks again. “Sorry for the outburst. What were we talking about?”

You are ushered into a seat at a small table by the wall. The doorman bows once again. “Is there anything I can-“

“Wine,” you say sourly. “Leave the jar.”

“As you wish, master.”

Going out ready for battle gives people the wrong idea, but you don’t feel right without at least a few good weapons at your side. Most places will let you walk in with anything that isn’t too obvious.
                When you have money, you come here often enough and spend enough that this might not be a lie. Also, you try not to be rude to the staff or break anything – you don’t want to repeat what happened at the Silver Carafe.

The evening passes on while you eat and drink alone, unable to relax. Eventually give up and walk out, leaving a small heap of coins on the table. Afterwards, you shamble home. Part of you wishes you could find a woman to work off some stress with, but you’re not in the mood – too much sobriety, not enough desparation3.

When you arrive at your house, you find it has been broken into – the hair you put up before is split in two. You pause, listening for any sound of movement from inside. When you hear nothing, you slide open the door with a curse, wondering what the damage is and if you’ll have to run around town threatening people to return your things again. However, the inside of your home is much as you left it – no one has cut open the mattress, moved your furniture, or stolen your pot.

Unwilling to let go of your suspicions, you open your floor compartment to see if your weapons and armor are all there. They are, but not piled in the same way that you left them. So, someone was here, but they didn’t take anything…

Without an immediate answer to this mystery, you decide that the best thing to do is keep watch. You shrug into your brigandine, put all your weapons in their places, and sit down on the bed to wait.

You don’t truck with normal women much anymore. It’s not that you don’t sometimes want to, but… five or six years ago, you paid for one to take home. She was young, and she reminded you a little of someone you knew before you shed your name. Halfway back to your place, you realized that you were old enough to be this girl’s grandfather or even great grandfather. There was even a small chance that you were her grandfather or great grandfather. That soured your mood and your evening. Since then, you haven’t been able to look at anyone mortal without wondering what it will be like to outlive them.

After an uneventful night, the dawn brings a welcome burst of activity. Eight Roads gets noisier as it wakes up and everyone gets ready for another day of wheeling and dealing. For you, it means a relief from staring at the walls of your home, waiting. You don’t like being awake and sober at this hour, but daybreak gives you an excuse to move – something you sorely needed.

With a sigh, you get off of your bed and stretch. As long as you’re up, you might as well make use of this time.

What do you do?
                • Ask all your neighbors if they saw anything last night. Probably they didn’t, and if they did they wouldn’t tell you. Still, you should check.
                • Go shopping. What you didn’t do yesterday still needs doing today.
                • Do your training. Normally you’d do this later in the day, but your daily exercises lie with wine and hair management among the things in life that stop you from losing your mind. You’re dressed for it, too.
                • Something else?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Do Training. Go shopping.

Don't bother with the neighbors. We don't want to be on speaking terms with them anyways.

I write things.

Comment

• Ask your neighbors if they saw anything last night. Hell, tell them if they have anything useful to say about it, there's silver in it for them.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• Do your training.

Halfway back to your place, you realized that you were old enough to be this girl’s grandfather or even great grandfather.
                      So, given this and the "decades ago" comment, we can conclude that the Nameless is one of the few unbound Solars during the reign of the Empress.

Or it's just set some time later than the usual year zero, but I prefer my reading.
                      Last edited by The MG; 07-27-2015, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• It might almost be worth it to move out of the country until everyone who recognizes me is dead.
                        Almost.

I do my training, try to relax, and go shopping.

((I don't think we've had confirmation that the Empress is gone at all at this time. But yeah, Nobody is apparently approaching a century by now. That helps explain the frighteningly large artifact weapon collection. Also, apparently his father wanted to be Genghis Khan. I wonder if he succeeded?))
                        Last edited by Erinys; 07-27-2015, 06:02 PM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                        Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                          Do Training. Go shopping.

Don't bother with the neighbors. We don't want to be on speaking terms with them anyways.
                          Yes. If the neighbors ignore us, we consider them well trained.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98

Comment

• Maybe not the neighbors, but it seems plausible that we would have one person (maybe a kid with nothing better to do, who knows?) that we occasionally tip to get information from. Maybe the kid who shines our boots or the hair-person saw something or heard something last night?

Comment

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                              But yeah, Nobody is apparently approaching a century by now. That helps explain the frighteningly large artifact weapon collection. Also, apparently his father wanted to be Genghis Khan. I wonder if he succeeded?))
                              I think it's a stretch to say he's pushing a century. We don't know. Particularly because we don't know his culture's typical lifespan. Though seeing what I assume to be a teenage girl and possibly being her grandfather great-grandfather, that assumes an age gap of at least 36-48 years (assuming a boy could have children at 12, and frequently did in certain cultures), putting him around 50-60 years old at a minimum.

That a graybeard recognized him might confirm that age, or slightly older, again considering we don't know the typical lifespan.

In any case, he's old, but appears to have been Exalted for a few decades at least, such to look maybe in his 30s or 40s from my reading.

I really like the characterization and noting the perspective as age increases - a long time for a mortal, a blink of an eye for a Celestial Exalt. Perhaps it's because most Exalted games assume the characters have been Exalted for 5 years or less, but most games don't deal with that turmoil of attachment to mortals whose great-grandchildren you could easily outlive, or the struggle of just potentially living so long and what it does to your mind. No wonder he drinks.

Makes me think of Highlander, in a good way.

Comment

• Anybody besides me think the Grand Magister had his place searched?

Comment

Working...
                                X