From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay! New post!
    Trade Information: We're currently rich, so we don't need more money right now, but we're taking a risk in offending a future employer. At the very least we should find out what Ayumu thinks his underling is up to.
    Suggested initial tidbits:
    1. It was some kind of jewel.
    2. The bandits were hired to look for it. Our killing them was part of the contract, so we understand crossing Himitsu is a potential risk.
    Also:
    Find out Ayumi's motives: Why does he care, exactly, what it is? What does he intend to do about it? And what does he think Himitsu is up to?
    Last edited by Mushroom King; 07-31-2015, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Try to bargain. You’ll tell the truth, but only for an unreasonable sum.
      • Trade information. See if you can find out what Ayumu already knows before you give him everything.
      Some combination of these two.

Originally posted by Mushroom King View Post
      Suggested initial tidbits:
      1. It was some kind of jewel.
      2. The bandits were hired to look for it. Our killing them was part of the contract, so we understand crossing Himitsu is a potential risk.
      Also:
      Find out Ayumu's motives: Why does he care, exactly, what it is? What does he intend to do about it?
      This too.

Himitsu takes Joy's advice about things like "Should I ever hire Nergüi again?" and she told him no. Plus, being in his employ when he murders his employees and hangs out with Joy is... not very appealing. However, the Magistrate must surely understand that I may have difficulty making a living if I gain a reputation for selling the secrets of my employers.
      Last edited by Erinys; 07-31-2015, 11:59 PM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
      Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• Originally posted by Mushroom King View Post
        Find out Himitsu's motives: Why does he care, exactly, what it is? What does he intend to do about it?
        Did you mean Himitsu (the magus who hired Nergüi first)? Or Ayumu (the grand magister who is talking to Nergüi now)?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Oh. ((I'd prefer Ayumu's motives.))

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
            Did you mean Himitsu (the magus who hired Nergüi first)? Or Ayumu (the grand magister who is talking to Nergüi now)?
            Sorry, fixed that. Both I guess, though I meant Ayumu's at the time.

Comment

• Trade Information and then Stick to your story.

I write things.

Comment

• >Try to bargain. More money is great because it means more booze.
                >Trade information. You seem to have become embroiled between a power struggle of magisters. Perhaps you can leverage this to your advantage.
                >Then tell the truth. Himitsu apparently had his own men killed and keeps counsel with a monster. You owe him nothing.
                Last edited by Zelbinnean; 08-01-2015, 09:10 AM.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• Trade information.

Comment

• Trade Information. And don't shank the Grand Magister if possible, he's giving us booze.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                    An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• “I got him… some jewel or other. Why do you care?” you say, trying to sound unconcerned. You have a drink from your bowl – you’re not sure what this is, but it tastes expensive.

“I have reason to suspect that Himitsu may be overstepping his boundaries,” answers Ayumu. He also sounds unconcerned. “Describe this jewel, if you would.”

“It was… about the size of my head, made of some finely cut clear crystal I could probably tell you more about if I were a jeweler. Were those men in the ruins yours?”

“No, they were Himitsu’s. Was there anything… overtly magical about the jewel?”

“Yeah. There was some kind of shifting pattern of colors and shapes on the inside. What is Himitsu to you, anyway?”

“The magus is responsible for overseeing my affairs in Eight Roads. Did he tell you what the function of this jewel was, or why he wanted it?”

“He called it ‘The Stone of Making.’ Does this have something to do with Joy of Metamorphosis?”

Ayumu is silent for a time. He passes his bowl from hand to hand, but does not drink.

“…it might, but let me warn you – sometimes, merely knowing of events in progress makes you responsible for them. If you want to know the whole truth, well… that has a price.”

“So let’s deal, then. You tell me why I should care, and I’ll tell you about the Stone.”

Ayumu lets out a small, short laugh. “Is that how you play this game? Very well then… I have certain business interests in town centers throughout this country. These interests help me to maintain my position as counsellor and mediator for the nobility. Himitsu is one of my managers, but recently he has begun behaving… irregularly. It may simply be that the presence of his ‘advisor’ has twisted his mind, but my gut tells me that he intends to move up in the world.” He takes a small sip. “There is nothing concrete that I can point to and say ‘yes, here is absolute proof that the follower wants to lead and will stab me in the back as soon as I have turned away’, but I have been at this for a long time.”

“Why not just kill him?”

“Master Nergüi, it is not my policy to have people killed based on a feeling. A man in my position faces some scrutiny, and if I must take a life then I should show a good reason for doing so.”

“Nuo told me he was ‘unreliable’ for years. Why are you only looking into it now?”

“Because artifact hunts are not normally part of his work for me. Master Nergüi, I can see from the impressive range of weapons on your person that you appreciate the power of old masterworks. Himitsu, too, has had an interest in forgotten magic for as long as I have known him, as befits a magus. However, I have reason to believe that he has developed more than a scholarly interest in such things. He may even be practicing true sorcery in secret. As you can imagine, when it came to my attention that he had sent mercenaries to excavate the old castle… well. I had to learn more.”

“And what makes you think I’d tell the truth?”

“You have a reputation, Master Nergüi. Occasionally your business and mine intersect, and from what I have heard you are brutally effective, do not renege on agreements, and take no long-term contracts. You are without loyalties to anyone but yourself. I do not expect us to become friends, but I believe I can trust you for the duration of this transaction.” Ayumu gives a slight smile. “Now that I have told you what I know, what is the Stone of Making?”

You think for a moment, wondering how to describe what you saw inside the crystal in a way that would make any sense to someone who hadn’t seen it. “It’s a… conjuring tool. It lets you create things…” you say, feeling your way through the words. “…all kinds of things. Tools, money, food. Himitsu thought that the old castle was built using the Stone, somehow. I think…” you pause, frowning as a thought surfaces. “…I think it can do even more than that. You could pull living things out of the stone. Plants, animals…” you trail off, leaving the last part of your thought unspoken. Could you make people with the Stone of Making? Would the gods allow it? What kind of people would they be?

Ayumu puts his hand on his chin. “I see. Did Himitsu mention he meant to conjure anything specific?”

You shake your head.

“Well, that is frustratingly vague.” Ayumu sighs, then takes a long drink. “So, to sum up, the magus has acquired a magical device that he could use to make anything. That knowledge is useful, but not quite actionable.”
                      • Ask about Joy. You still don’t get how she fits into this.
                      • Ask about Nuo. Assuming your senses aren't lying, Ayumu doesn’t have any guards on him. Staying in the Ryuunosuke house gives him some protection, but it seems odd that he only has this one messenger.
                      • Offer to steal the Stone. If it’s still in Himitsu’s house, reaching it shouldn’t be that difficult. Burglary is easy when you can jump to the top floor and see in complete darkness.
                      • Finish your drink, take your money, and leave. You don’t like acting against people you’ve worked for. Talking to Ayumu is as far as you’re willing to go, and learning more will just make you more involved.
                      • Something else?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• We consider Finish your drink, take your money, and leave. but instead offer to steal the Stone. We wouldn't mind taking another look at it.

I write things.

Comment

• Finish your drink, take your money, and leave. No doubt this will get ugly, in time. It's best to remain neutral until then, when potential employers will be desperate.

Comment

• >Ask about Joy.
                            >Then ask if there's any...other business he might be interested in contracting for.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• Ask about Joy.

Comment

• Cool post!
                                I would ask about Joy, then see if Ayumu has any jobs for us (this would include stealing the stone).
                                I hesitate asking about Nuo because I suspect she is a Water Aspect Dragon-blooded, and probably a capable one at that.

Comment

Working...
                                X