Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    A memo to all who "liked" Vortex - "likes" do not count as votes because I am not certain how to interpret them, nor can I tell who is generating the likes.
    Last edited by semicasual; 06-24-2015, 09:20 PM.


    On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

    Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

    Comment


    • #17
      >Cleaver. Because size matters. You've also shaved with it. It's not exactly easy, but damn is it ever good for fine manipulation training.
      Last edited by Zelbinnean; 06-24-2015, 09:02 PM.


      "Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

      "Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by semicasual View Post
        A memo to all who "liked" Vortex - "likes" do not count as a vote because I am not certain how to interpret them, nor can I tell who is generating the likes.

        I liked the vortex because I thought it was a neat idea, not as a vote. I don't consider likes a vote.


        I write things.

        Comment


        • #19
          Hm... I would go with... the great big Cleaver!


          Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

          Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Caladon View Post
            Serpent Sting Staff "Vortex" It used to belong to a monk you were friends with, Naranbaatar. You called him Baa for short...he hated that. ....
            Hey!

            I suggest a kusarigama as a versatile weapon with reach. Most people watch out for the sickle, so you wind up beaning them with the ball-shaped counterweight, and have dubbed the weapon Reaching Fist. 'Fist' is large and oddly colored, probably a Hearthstone, but you don't know where the associated manse would be anyway. The orichalcum blade on the sickle has a small, difficult to read inscription. Or perhaps just decoration. Who cares?


            Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
            An Exalt is never unarmed.

            Comment


            • #21
              ((I like the bow and kusarigama best.))


              I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
              Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

              Comment


              • #22
                You blink the water out of your eyes, and it occurs to you that you might be more hungover than you thought. What are you saying? They’re all yours. Just as an engraver has many chisels, you have many weapons… but Cleaver is your favorite, the one you are most practiced with and prefer to use in most situations.

                While Li gets off the cart and starts digging around in the boxes, you do a few stretches to limber up and then start strapping weapons to yourself. Cleaver in its sheath across your shoulders, Paradox slung with its quiver behind your back (you remembered to bring both broadheads and bodkins today, good), Righty and Lefty in sheaths on your belt. Also a holdout knife in your boot, the changeable three-section staff Vortex (now collapsed down to the size of a baton) on one thigh, a brace of throwing knives across your chest, and your kusarigama, Reaching Fist, on the other thigh.


                The rain by now has penetrated your thick hair, but you don’t mind – Your headband keeps it out of your eyes, and anyway this is far from the worst weather you’ve ever been out in. You pride yourself on being able to shrug off discomforts from being outdoors. Look at Li, there, grumbling under his cloak – it doesn’t take a genius to guess he’d rather be in bed under a roof right now. Then again, he’s probably been driving all night, so maybe you can cut him some slack.

                Li has dug out some dried meat and hard bread out of one of the boxes. “You want to eat? Or do you usually kill on an empty stomach?” he says, holding it out to you. “Before you ask, all the wine’s gone. You lush.” You take the food without a word and start stuffing it in your mouth. You wish you had some hair of the dog now, but you can at least wash the dry food down by turning your face up and opening your mouth. Li eats too, but less than he gave you, and when he’s finished he watches you for a while with an unreadable expression.

                “Alright then. This is as close as I want to get, and I’m only this close because of the rain,” says Li, unprompted. “So… you can see the old place up there. You know the details already. I’ll just wait here, and if you’re not back by nightfall I’m headed back to tell Master Himitsu* you cocked it up and died.” He starts covering over the boxes in the cart with the canvas.

                You pull the leather satchel with the rest of your gear out of the cart and hang it around your neck. You don’t want to be wearing it while fighting, of course, but you figure you’ll need it later and there’s no sense leaving it here.

                “That’s fine,” you answer. “I don’t think this’ll take long.”

                *
                Himitsu, that was the name. You’ve never met the guy – one of those rich city folk who don’t like to get their hands dirty, probably. Some agent – Wei, you think he called himself - of Himitsu met you in town to give you the job and some money, with the promise of more “upon elimination of the criminal element and retrieval of the object” as he put it. It amazes you how hard people try to convince themselves or each other that they’re not paying you to go kill people and loot their stuff.


                You spend an hour or two walking through the wet, tall grass, taking an approach to the fortress that is slightly off the road. You’ve seen plenty of castles and ruins in your time, and this one is surprisingly intact. It’s an old stone fortress, you don’t know how old – funny thing about places like this is that the best ones don’t ever really seem to age. Of course, all the wood bits have rotted away, and as you come closer you can see that the roofs seem to have caved in on the towers. On the side facing the road, you can see that a huge section of the outer wall has been torn down along with the gates, and a large hole has been knocked into the side of the main keep. You can imagine some kind of enormous animal pulling the building apart, or maybe a crew of overworked masons on a tight schedule.

                There are no signs of life from the keep until you’ve already climbed up the embankment to the edge of the outer wall and looked in through the great gap. From there, you see cloth or canvas stretched over some of the smaller roofless outbuildings and a small fire burning just beyond the hole in the keep’s wall.

                You were told there were maybe twenty, maybe thirty men running an operation out of this place – enough to give even a well-guarded caravan trouble. You don’t have to kill all of them, or even most of them, but driving them away so that they don’t rob anyone else (at least for a little while) or get in your way while you search for Himitsu’s desired artifact is a must. The question is, how do you approach it?
                • Rush right in through the hole in the wall while you’ve still got surprise on your side. Hit ‘em hard, hit ‘em fast, hit ‘em a lot, and you can rout them before they have a chance to overwhelm you.
                • Stealthily take them out one at a time, starting with the poor saps in the outbuildings. If you’re careful, the heavy rain should provide plenty of cover. Some might even still be asleep – easy pickings. Of course, if they’re more alert than they look, you won’t be able to stay quiet for long.
                • Draw them out of the keep. You don’t see any real defensive measures out here, but that might not be true of the inside. Make some noise, lure them out, and you can fight them on ground that will probably favor you more than them. Then again, if they’re smart, they’ll all come at you at once, and then you’ll have to fight on the run.
                • Something Else? (You may freely guess what Nergüi’s capabilities are. If you have another idea, suggest it!)
                Last edited by semicasual; 07-04-2015, 01:36 PM.


                On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                Comment


                • #23
                  Stealthily take them out one at a time, starting with the poor saps in the outbuildings.

                  If Nergui can get on top of the wall, he can pick off any sentries with the bow, although wet weather may be bad for the string. Otherwise, creep from building to building until discovered. this doesn't seem the way to scare people off, but it does lessen the odds for eventual discovery by the rest.


                  Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                  An Exalt is never unarmed.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Stealthily take them out one at a time

                    ((I love that Nergui is a walking armory. I hope there is a scene where he has to disarm himself and freaks everyone out with the amount of weapons he has on his person. ))

                    ((I am also officially envious of all this art in people's quests! I love the ink washes, SemiCasual! ))
                    Last edited by wonderandawe; 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM.


                    I write things.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Start by stealthily take them out one at a time but keep an eye out for a good ambush point as we sneak around. Someplace where our victims can only come at us one or two at a time so we can't get surrounded. If we find a suitable spot then raise a ruckus to lure everyone to us and kill them as they arrive.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Another vote for stealthily take them out one at a time. If this becomes impractical, we can introduce the poor bastards who answer the alarm to Cleaver. With extreme prejudice.

                        Also walking armories rule, glad that Nergui went that route!


                        Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Draw them out of the keep.

                          ((I am most happy. I secretly wanted ALL THE WEAPONS but didn't think that was allowed. >:-D ))


                          I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                          Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Let's get our Batman on. Thin the herd with stealth, if caught draw them out into the open.


                            Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

                            Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              >Stealthily take them out one at a time until you are sure their forces have been thinned out. Then draw them out of the keep with a grisly display of rushing right in at the last one remaining in view.


                              "Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

                              "Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                You decide that this challenge requires a subtle approach.

                                First, you’ll need a good vantage point. You run your hands along the weathered stone of the wall as you look towards its apex. Probably, in this castle’s heyday, there used to be a ramp or stairs that led up to the top, but you don’t see anything like that now. No matter – it looks like it’s only about thirty feet high.

                                You take a couple steps back, make a few short practice hops, and then jump. You feel a tingling in your legs as you rise up over the wall’s edge and softly land in a crouch on the wet masonry. At once you sweep your head to the side, looking towards the keep for any sign of activity. There is none – if anyone saw you, they’re not responding.

                                You put your satchel down on top of the wall – this is as good a place as any to leave it – and pull Paradox off your back. You string the horn, give it an experimental “twang!”, and start looking for targets. Your eyes focus, and the sheets of rain coming down no longer impede your sight.

                                You see two men sitting by the fire you spotted before. They’re not looking out into the courtyard, like good guards should be – they’re looking into the fire. One of them occasionally pokes at it with a stick – they’re likely cooking something.

                                There are three others in the nearest shelter – you can see their silhouettes when they move around a lamp or something inside their improvised hut. There is at least one in an adjacent half-ruined storehouse who you see peeking his head out. None of these look promising.

                                Eventually, a target presents itself. A big man lurches out of one of the further-away outbuildings and starts walking towards the central courtyard. You pull an arrow from your quiver, draw back the bowstring, take a breath, and release a broadhead into his chest before he can take ten steps. He doesn’t scream – just falls over and writhes on the ground for a few minutes while rain mixes with his blood.

                                There are a few more targets of opportunity like that one – another man from the far building, maybe looking for his friend. One more leaving the wreckage of a tower to empty his bladder. Two more who emerge from the side of the keep, hauling bundles of some kind. You kill each one with a shot to the skull, neck, heart, or lungs, and the downpour covers your quiet carnage. Easy enough, so far. You haven’t felt anything on your forehead yet, which is definitely a good sign. You unconsciously raise a hand to adjust your headband, which by now is soaking wet just like everything else out here.

                                You sit and watch a while longer – you’re not sure how long – before you come to the conclusion that no one else is going to come out into the open, and there are too many bodies around to cause alarm if you wait any more. You put Paradox away, still strung, and hop off the wall, landing with a slight splash.

                                You make for the nearest shelter, contemplating how to kill three before any of them can shout. There definitely isn’t room for Cleaver in there, unless you want to try cutting the whole structure apart. You pull Righty and Lefty from your belt, slowing your walk slightly as you approach the doorway. You pause for an instant just outside, then charge in.

                                You see the three men in the flesh, sitting on what might have been an expensive rug and rolling dice by the light of a wood-and-paper lantern. Two facing the door, one facing away. Time seems to slow as you rush the one who is only just beginning to turn his head and push Righty into his throat. You pull your arm back and kick him away as the other two begin to rise. You move towards the one on the left, who raises his arms defensively around his head, and stab underneath his guard with Lefty, jabbing around his sternum three times before pushing him down and turning to look at the last one. The last is standing and has grabbed hold of a short spear – he is swinging the shaft around like a club, his face filled with horror and confusion. You stop the blow on your right forearm and push the shaft down, moving his arms away before you step in and shove Lefty into the side of his neck. Blood sprays everywhere as you pull free and hop back, watching three bodies sink to the floor. You are surprised and oddly pleased to note that no one knocked over the lantern.

                                “Godsblood!” comes an echo from the entryway. Your awareness of time returns to normal as you turn to see someone standing in the door, holding a bowl in one hand and a spoon in the other and looking ridiculous as he gawks at the scene. Oh, that’s right – there was someone in the next building over, wasn’t there? You hoped he wouldn’t notice. Maybe you should’ve nailed him first.

                                He drops what he’s holding and runs out of your sight almost immediately. You bolt out of shelter in time to spot him sprinting towards the keep. You let Righty and Lefty drop from your hands and kneel, pulling Paradox off your back.

                                The runner shouts “HELP! HELP! WE’RE UNDER ATTAAGH!” before an arrow catches him between the shoulder blades. He stumbles, but to his credit he keeps running with the arrow in his back and even makes as if to shout again before you put a second one through the back of his head.

                                You grab Righty and Lefty off the ground, wipe them off on the grass, and sheathe them before looking towards the keep. Sure enough, the not-very-alert guards around the fire are looking very alert now. One of them is looking right at you, and the other is fleeing deeper into the fortress.

                                It was good while it lasted and you can be pretty confident now that you won’t be outflanked, but you’ve been discovered. Now what?
                                • Charge! They might know you’re here, but they’re still in disarray. You can do more damage and maybe even break them entirely if you push ahead.
                                • Wait, prepare an ambush. You killed, what, eight or nine? If your sources are telling the truth, at least half of them are still inside. Better to fight them out in the open.
                                • Retreat and regroup. Not because you think you’re in real danger, but because you want to hold back. If you have to redouble your efforts now, your Blessing might start to show…
                                • Something Else?
                                Last edited by semicasual; 07-09-2015, 04:55 PM.


                                On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                                Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X