Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
    Leave the building, but come after stashing the stolen goods back to observe the mob. Leave Nuo with Wei.
    This ten chars


    "Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

    "Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

    Comment


    • You hurry back along the roof to Nuo as quickly as you can without making any noise. You find her sitting beside Wei, scanning the area. She looks up at you expectantly as you approach.

      “We should go now,” you say softly before she can speak. “Angry peasants are gathering outside. They’re a good distraction, but if many more of them come then they’ll surround the walls or try to break in.”

      “Alright, but where are we going?” Nuo asks, sounding annoyed. She jostles Wei. “We won’t get far carrying him.”

      “My place?”

      “I know somewhere closer. The Shen trade-family has a retreat up the road that’s always empty this time of year. I took the liberty of making a spare key to their back gate.”


      The air is tense in the streets. The peaceful quiet from before has an edge to it now, and you find yourself straining your eyes and ears for signs of roaming gangers or hidden watchers. Wei is slung over your shoulder, occasionally grunting, groaning, or making other noises. Nuo leads the way, picking a path through the back alleys and side roads between the properties in the Jade district. You turn a corner and find a metal gate set in a stone wall, held shut with a padlock. Nuo pulls a ring of keys from another concealed pocket and cycles through a couple before she selects one and opens the lock.

      The Shen house is a wide, one story house with a small rock garden in the back. Nuo leads you into a large parlor full of furniture covered over with sheets. You let Wei roll off your shoulder - he lands with a hard thud and a yelp on the wooden floor.

      Nuo looks at you with disapproval. You answer with a shrug, then turn towards the exit.

      “Wait, where are you going?” asks Nuo. “We only just got here.”

      “Back to Himitsu’s,” you answer without slowing down. “You stay here and watch the stooge.”

      Nuo had been about sit down in one of the covered plush chairs. Now she has straightened up, bracing herself. When she speaks, her tone has equal parts rage and confusion. “You can’t leave me here!”

      “I can and I am.”

      It has begun drizzling again when you step back outside. You break into a jog and almost reach the gate before Nuo catches up to you, dashing in from behind you to take your arm in a surprisingly strong grip.

      You try and fail to shake her loose. “Let go!”

      “You’re not cutting me out of this!” Her foot sweeps your legs and suddenly you find yourself falling. Your muscles go slack in the instant before you hit the ground, so you are unhurt when your back impacts on mud and gravel. Still, you are surprised.

      Nuo is standing over you, rain running off her hat, fury in her eyes. “I thought I made myself clear,” she says with deliberate calm, “I will avenge Ayumu, and I won’t let you run off and do something stupid because you don’t concern yourself with the fates of others.”

      You make an awkward swing at her knees with your arm, but Nuo leaps back and you only catch air. She holds her defensive posture while you curl your legs, bend your back, and jump to your feet. Lefty and Righty are in your hands as you rise up, and for the second time you and the god-child face off.

      “Nuo,” you growl, “stay out of my way. I’ll do better alone.”

      “Like it or not, you aren’t alone,” she snaps back. “What do you think you’ll do if Himitsu is the quarry? Or if he isn’t?”

      “You don’t trust me to do right?”

      “No, I don’t.”

      The two of you glare at each other for a while, holding your stances, watching for slight changes in set that might reveal your intentions. You think about charging, or jumping over the wall to escape, or lowering your weapons to try to talk her down – but before you can act on any of these ideas, you hear a wooden rattling coming from inside the Shen house.

      Nuo hears the noise too. Her eyes look toward the house just for an instant.

      Now is your chance.
      • Attack. She’s distracted. Seize the advantage!
      • Escape. Run through the gate or hop over the wall, before she can stop you.
      • Talk Nuo down. She seems even madder than usual. Maybe you should try to figure out why.
      • Go see what that noise was. You distinctly remember being told the house would be empty. Only Wei should be in there now…
      • Something else?


      On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

      Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

      Comment


      • >See what the noise is. And, hey, Nuo may be misguided and annoying but you can understand where she's coming from. She has a much greater investment in the town than you.


        "Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

        "Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

        Comment


        • > What was that noise? Is Wei escaping?


          I write things.

          Comment


          • Go see what that noise was. You distinctly remember being told the house would be empty. Only Wei should be in there now…

            1) Looks like dealing with Wei is a now thing.
            2) Then let Nuo tag along, as long as she understands that we won't hold back and she is likely to get hurt. She wasn't rescued from the blob just to be in the way.

            And forget the earlier thought of dalliance. Nuo might make a good sparring partner, until we cut her to bits, but she doesn't suit for any other kind of partner.
            Last edited by L'het'esh; 08-21-2015, 07:35 PM.


            Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
            An Exalt is never unarmed.

            Comment


            • Go check out that noise.


              I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
              Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

              Comment


              • Attack (so that she doesn't attack you), then talk Nuo down.

                Comment


                • “Wei,” says Nuo.

                  “Shit, Wei,” you say almost simultaneously. An instant later, you hear a splintering crash from inside. You bolt into the house as if the fight were forgotten.

                  Wei is gone. On the floor where you dropped him are his shoes and one of the strips you used to tie him up. The far door hangs open. You run on through into a dark hallway, swiftly maneuvering around covered furnishings. Ahead of you on the left are the sorts of large, sliding double-doors you often see at the front of buildings like this one. The door has been smashed through – its remains hang crookedly in their frame around a large gap that rain and dim light pass through.

                  “Help!” shouts Wei’s voice on the other side. “Someone, HELP!”

                  You barge through the broken doors, shoving shattered wood out of your way. Outside, there is a little yard bordering the street. Wei is stumbling into the road, barefoot, hands still tied up. Your feet bend and skid on the wet ground as you sprint after him. His head turns, he sees you coming, and his desperate shuffling becomes a little faster. In moments, you’ve caught up to him. As you bear down on the fleeing clerk, you turn at the waist slightly and will an extra little burst of speed from your legs. Then your shoulder slams into his back, slowing you down as you bowl him over.

                  Wei gives a loud yelp as he falls face-first into the ground, followed by a pained gasp when your boot crushes into his spine.

                  “You should’ve stayed put,” you growl at him, removing your foot. You are about to stoop down to pick him up when you become aware of several flickering lights coming around the corner of a nearby building and running footsteps behind you. You settle into a defensive crouch, short swords in hand.

                  Seconds later, another small peasant mob appears. Torches illuminate the shapes of a mixed group of men and women, thirty strong, most of them carrying wood axes or farm tools. One of the men in the front has a sword. They are jogging towards you in a disorganized group, seemingly driven more by their own momentum than a will to charge. The front-runners come to an abrupt stop as the dim firelight uncovers you and Wei, standing and lying in the road, respectively.

                  You angle your head slightly, trying to look behind you without letting the mob out of your peripheral sight. Nuo is bringing up the rear, slowing from a run to a trot to a guarded walk as she approaches.

                  “HELP!!” screams Wei, giving one more try. His cry turns into a gurgle when you kick him in the ribs.

                  The front runners of the mob remain still for a moment. Then the one with a sword takes a cautious step forward.

                  What do you do?
                  • Attack, kill them all. Cleaver will teach these fools the last lesson of their lives.
                  • Attack, try to rout them. The sickle and weight of Reaching Fist can drop a few, and its swinging chain should frighten the rest into retreat.
                  • Intimidate them. Shout at them a bit, play up your “terrifying barbarian” persona1. If posturing doesn’t work, smash the swordsman’s face in with Vortex. That should dissuade them.
                  • Talk to them. Stay calm, keep hold of your swords, and try to find out who these people are.
                  • Grab Wei and run. The most important thing is whatever Himitsu’s stooge knows. Get yourself and him to safety first.
                  • Something else?
                  1
                  You were taught better manners than you usually show, but southerners seem to expect you to be both fearsome and rude. You’re not sure anymore how much of your act is just a ploy to play on their expectations and how much comes from your tired heart.
                  Last edited by semicasual; 08-29-2015, 03:17 PM.


                  On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                  Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                  Comment


                  • Intimidate them. "This idiot got into this mess himself and you all don't want to get involved." *point at crowd with sword*


                    I write things.

                    Comment


                    • >Who the fuck are these people? Talk to them. Maybe convince them you're trying to figure out what happened at the manor. If that doesn't work, intimidate them.


                      "Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

                      "Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

                      Comment


                      • >Who the fuck are these people? Talk to them. Maybe convince them you're trying to figure out what happened at the manor and punish the assholes responsible. Because if there are enough angry mobs who know Wei on sight and blame him for helping a "sorcerer," escape is a lot less safe for him.

                        If that doesn't work, intimidate them.
                        Last edited by Erinys; 08-25-2015, 06:30 PM.


                        I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                        Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

                        Comment


                        • Aye, talk and declare your desire for vengeance. If they do not seem useful intimidate them out of the way.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                            >Who the fuck are these people? Talk to them. Maybe convince them you're trying to figure out what happened at the manor and punish the assholes responsible. Because if there are enough angry mobs who know Wei on sight and blame him for helping a "sorcerer," escape is a lot less safe for him.

                            If that doesn't work, intimidate them.
                            I like this idea! Steer the mob towards Himitsu! Get some cannon fodder!

                            Comment


                            • Yeah, sure, steer them towards Himetsu. They arrived too quickly to be the neighborhood watch, let them have the fight they want with somebody else.

                              If they insist on a fight, well, Righty and Lefty are out already and worked fine on the bandits/miners. Changing weapons may take too long.


                              Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                              An Exalt is never unarmed.

                              Comment


                              • Talk to them.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X