No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Who the fuck are you people?” you demand, taking a step forward to match the swordsman.

The apparent leader stiffens up. “We’re just ordinary people, out for a walk,” he answers with a sneer. “Are we interrupting something?”

“That depends,” you say, scanning the group. They are closing ranks, possibly out of fear and certainly for mutual support. “What-“

“His name is Wan,” says Nuo softly, closing the distance between you. She stops behind your right shoulder, hands clasped in front of her. “One of Aya’s bodyguards.”

“Wan, is it?” you say loudly, directing the question at the swordsman.

‘Wan’ grimaces. He tries to regain face, starting with a fresh sneer. “Who wants to know?”

“Somebody with no time for your shit,” you snarl back. But Wan is not listening to you – another man with a sword pushes from the back of crowd to his side and whispers something to him. Wan looks surprised and starts whispering back. With a small amount of focus, you are able to make out most of their conversation.

“… I think that’s Nergüi!”

“What? The butcher?”

“Gotta be. Look at all those weapons!”

“Shit. What’s he doing out here?”

“I don’t know, we didn’t hire him. Ask!”

“Agh…” Wan turns away from his associate and starts speaking up. “What do you want, merc?”

“Same thing as you, I’d guess,” you reply, following a hunch. “I want to punish whoever destroyed the Ryuunosuke house.”

Wan blinks, surprised. “What? Who are you- “. But before he can finish the question, his crony starts whispering to him again.

“Let’s point him at Himitsu.”

“Huh?”

“Tell him the Magus did it. If he’s on our side, we might not even need the rest!”

“Uhhh…”

“We can use him. Much better than fighting him.”

“Alright…” seeming unsure of himself, Wan leaves his little conference starts talking to you once more. “…well, let me help you along, merc. The man you’re looking for is Magus Himitsu. In fact,” he continues, gaining confidence, “me and this group of concerned citizens are on our way to talk with him about that very subject. Want to come?”

You allow yourself a slight smile1 and sheath your swords. The mob relaxes as well. A few of them even smile back, although most still seem preoccupied with the beaten clerk lying on the ground beside you. Wei is softly sobbing into the dirt. You turn to Nuo, thinking you’ll tell her to move Wei somewhere, but the look on her face tells you that she does not share your sense of triumph.

“Are you crazy?” she hisses at you. “If Himitsu really has that kind of power, what do you suppose he’ll do if you show up on his doorstep with an army? And if he doesn’t, do you think these people will care or show restraint?”

You pause, trying to think of what to say, but she presses on. “Even if you really don’t care who lives or dies…” then she stops, looking a little unsure for just an instant. Then she sets her jaw and steps close enough to you for you to feel her breath. “…You can’t use your ‘blessing’ at full strength with so many watching,” she whispers.

She looks towards Wan and the others, her expression grave. “We should stop them. They’ll get themselves killed, or worse…”

Looks like you have a decision to make.
    • Nuo is right. Joining Wan’s group won’t lead to a fight on your terms and… you don’t want anyone to die for you. Not again. Not when you have a choice. You’ll stop these idiots here, one way or another.
    • Nuo is half-right. Joining Wan’s group won’t lead to a fight on your terms, but if they want to march on the Magus, it’s on their heads. You’ll take Wei and step aside.
    • Nuo is wrong. This is a good plan, and you’re sticking to it. With Wan’s gang, those already at the Magus’ place, and whoever else comes along, you’ll sack the mansion and kill everyone inside. You’ll have your revenge, or at least a chance to work out some of your anger.
    • Something else?
    It’s always great when they do the work for you.
    Last edited by semicasual; 08-28-2015, 09:54 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Nuo is right. Plus, "tell him the Magus did it" sounds hella suspicious. They might be lying, and should be questioned.

Comment

• Nuo is half-right. This mob lives here. They have much of a right to go after the Magus as Nuo does and they are adults who can make their own decisions. They know what the Magus is capable of. Let them storm the Magus.

Edit: Don't lead them. They are their own people.
        Last edited by wonderandawe; 08-28-2015, 11:23 AM.

I write things.

Comment

• Nuo is half right.

And you won't lead these people. Not again. You won't be used by them either, for that matter.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• Agree the Magus and his faerie buddy did it. Remind them what he's capable of, and let them make their own decision. But don't lead them. Never that. Do point out that Wei is Himitsu's lackey and you were going to question him... they can stay to listen if they feel like it, and if he escapes again they're free to question and/or kill him themselves. (That'll teach him not to run away again.)

((Edit: When did Nuo learn about our Blessing? How does she know that? We didn't show her that I remember.))
            Last edited by Erinys; 08-28-2015, 04:46 PM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
            Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• Nuo is half-right.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
              An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                ((Edit: When did Nuo learn about our Blessing? How does she know that? We didn't show her that I remember.))
                We told her about it while walking out of the Chaos.

And agree with the half-right.

Comment

• She seems to suddenly know the Blessing is actually something visible that nobody should be allowed to see.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.

Comment

• ((Nuo is also not stupid, and probably knows something about the Exalted, from the parts of the backstory we've shared at least, if not from her position as a magistrate))

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• “No,” you answer Wan, projecting your voice over the crowd.

Wan appears dumbfounded. “No?”

“No. I’m not going.”

“Well, but…” Wan fumbles for words. “Why? If you want payback, why not –“

“I don’t believe you really know Himitsu did anything.”

“Well, it’s obvious, isn’t it? Who else in this town knows anything about magic?”

“No one you know. But that’s not saying much.” You dismiss Wan for the moment and bend over to grab Wei by the collar. The clerk groans as you haul him to his feet. “Come here, you… And even if you’re right, your plan to take him on is to march a bunch of fools you pulled out of bars and off the streets up to his front door?” You snort to emphasize the point. “You’re begging for death, and I’m not coming with you. I’ve got better things to do.”

Uneasy grumbling breaks out in the crowd. Many of them are looking at Wan or each other uncertainly. You glance between the sorry-looking group and Nuo, also watching in silence. Then you shrug and return to the business of retrieving your prisoner. While you steer Wei back towards the Shen house, you hear Wan calling from behind you.

“Wait, wait. Who’s that you’ve got there?”

“No one you care about,” you call back, but at that same moment Wei starts to jerk around again. At once, you stop walking and double your grip on Wei’s torn robes.

“I am his seneschal!!” yells the clerk while he futilely tries to free himself. He is looking back at Wan. “I work for Himitsu! Free me and I will help!”

You give Wei a quick shake - “Quiet, you.” – but the damage has already been done.

“Hey now, not so fast!” says Wan, beginning to close the gap between you. He is not moving too quickly, though – he is careful to stay within easy reach of his friends. “What’s your business with the magus’ man?”

“Wan, stay out of this,” you reply forcefully. “My business is none of yours.”

“I disagree,” answers Wan, dropping the pretense of friendliness. “Unlike you, I don’t turn down help. And even if he’s no help at all, he can still be a hostage.” Wan unsheathes his sword and points it at you. “Let him go.”

It looks like you are at the same crux as before, but this time without the edge of surprise.
                      • Attack, kill them all. Cleave them!
                      • Attack, try to rout them. Swing around Reaching Fist until no one with the courage to fight is still standing.
                      • Intimidate them. Pummel Wan with Vortex for a bit and threaten to break the legs of anyone who repeats his mistake.
                      • Something else?
                      Last edited by semicasual; 08-29-2015, 03:19 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Intimidate them. Beat the crap out of Wan (don't kill him, I guess) and threaten to break the legs of anyone who repeates his mistake. If they're so sure Himitsu is guilty then Wei is also their enemy. If they want to find out for sure then they'd better let me interrogate him.
                        Last edited by Erinys; 08-29-2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Attack, try to rout them. Swing around Reaching Fist until no one with the courage to fight is still standing.
                          The reach will be handy in case Wei tries to run again. Neither the weight (fist) nor the blade need be fatal.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                          An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• (Anyone else have input?)

Comment

• Intimidate. Shut Wei up somehow.

I write things.

Comment

• Intimidate them, but not with Vortex. Use Cleaver instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X