Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Retreat and regroup. No need to expose ourselves yet as supernatural yet.

    ((So we are already an exalt? With a caste sign! I think that charm was "There is no Wind", so Solar. ))

    What direction are we in and what is the year?
    Last edited by wonderandawe; 06-26-2015, 07:33 PM.


    I write things.

    Comment


    • #32
      Ambush!

      Fair fights are for suckers, and we're not being paid to fight fair.


      Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

      Comment


      • #33
        >Prepare an ambush. You could almost certainly take the rest of them with Cleaver, but you've invoked the Power enough with all this shooting through the rain and dark and wind, and now they know where you are based on the last corpse's squawking. It wouldn't do to perform a job so well and blow it all by glowing everywhere. Best to scale the structure and flank them, draw from the reserves, and then finish them in one big push.
        Last edited by Zelbinnean; 06-26-2015, 05:37 PM.


        "Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

        "Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

        Comment


        • #34
          Glowing is for when you're certain nobody will escape alive and you can afford to wait until it stops before you come back out.
          This may be such a circumstance. If so, no need to hold back.

          Otherwise, let them run around in panic. Set an ambush.


          I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
          Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

          Comment


          • #35
            I know I favored Stealth then Attack! earlier, but now is time to Charge! before they get organized. One good push and the rest will run away...if they are smart.
            Ah, red. the color of blood....


            Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
            An Exalt is never unarmed.

            Comment


            • #36
              We thinned out their numbers already, lets get this over with. Roar out a challenge to lure them out to us. Much easier than hunting for them through a whole keep, potentially full of traps

              Comment


              • #37
                Prepare an ambush. Wait for them to come out, then jump in with Cleaver.

                Comment


                • #38
                  You decide that the best plan for now is to wait for the enemy to come out in force, then ambush them.

                  You consider the layout of the courtyard in your head, considering and discarding options. Hiding inside one of the buildings is no good - you’d just be boxed in. You could return to the top of the wall where they would be unable to reach you, but if you went back to shooting them and they couldn’t attack back they’d just hide in the keep. That hole in the keep wall makes for a natural chokepoint, but you doubt it’s the only entrance to the keep, and anyway they’ll expect you to stand there. You need a place where you can be sure they’ll come within your reach, but out of their sight and with at least one good exit route…

                  Your eyes are drawn to the stone in the keep wall just above the hole, maybe fifteen feet off the ground. Paradox gets slung over your back again, and you slowly draw out Cleaver. Resting the massive sword on your shoulder, you start running towards the keep.

                  The remaining guard sees you coming, and makes himself scarce. Good – now you can get into position undetected. When you come close enough to the wall you make another of your practiced high jumps, swinging Cleaver around so its tip is pointed down and ahead of you.

                  There is a loud “CHING!” as your sword penetrates the stone wall a foot deep and sticks. You let your momentum carry you into the wall feet-first, and you cling there with your sword as an anchor. Your hands around the hilt support most of your weight, letting you brace your boots against the stone while you tilt your head to keep an eye on the ground below you. You take one hand off Cleaver for an instant to brush your braids out of the way for a clearer view.

                  You continue to hang there on the wall for several minutes, waiting. Eventually, you hear the sounds of tramping feet and muffled speech, and people start coming out of the keep. Six of them in all, armed with swords and spears and moving in a loose group. They’re looking around, searching for you in the dim morning light.

                  When the last one is outside the wall and almost directly beneath you, you kick off the wall and pull hard on Cleaver, jerking it up and out of the wall. You turn in the air to face the ground, spinning Cleaver about so its edge chops right through the bandit as you land. It’s not a clean cut – even with Cleaver, it’s damned near impossible to shear through a body’s spine lengthwise – but it buys you an instant to rise to your feet while the other five are gaping at the man you just cut in two.

                  You let out a wordless roar and rush at two fighters on your right, making a wide, rising sweep with the sword. One leaps out of the way, while the second tries to block – too slowly – and loses his left arm. You finish the swing and reverse it as you move forward, decapitating that second man and slicing open the guts of the first.

                  Terror – that’s the key. Any of the three men you have your back to now might kill you if they could fight past their shock and their fear of pain and death. Instead they hesitate, clutching their swords, hoping to find an opening where they can strike at you without risking themselves. That hesitation will cost them everything. To start with, it gives you time to turn about and charge again.

                  One of them tilts his blade at you to meet your charge. You twist and turn to one side, practically spinning around the point of his sword as you whirl Cleaver around and take off another head. Still turning, you fall to one knee and sweep out with your leg to trip over another brute trying to rush you. While he drops, you jump up, raising Cleaver to clash against a chop by the third bandit and pushing him back. You take a swing of your own at him and he blocks, but the force of the hit staggers him and breaks his guard. Your next swing crushes into his skull and knocks him to the ground. As you pull free, you turn around in time to kick the second bandit back into the mud as he tries to get up and sever his head with a downward slash.

                  The rain washes away some, but not all, of the blood that now covers you and everything else.

                  Your forehead is starting to itch a little. You raise your hand up to your face just above the level of your eyes but see no light on your palm. It appears that the headband is doing its job, for now…

                  With all the opposition outside gone, you retrieve your satchel and make your way into the keep. The mostly-unlit interior is no obstacle, with your eyes. It looks as though this ground-floor level is where most of the bandits have been living. Their debris is everywhere – improvised bedding, discarded weapons or tools, somewhat valuable trinkets, less-than-valuable trinkets, trash – but you find no other signs of life or Himitsu’s artifact*. Overall, you get the impression that most of the space in this castle has gone unused. Everywhere you look, there’s just bare stone. You wonder why no one has tried to occupy or rebuild this fortress before… or if they have, and you’re just looking at it after its latest turn of conquest and abandonment.

                  You go through empty room after empty room, getting a sense of the keep’s layout. There is a storeroom full of food and several barrels of wine, which you make a note of for later. You find the “real” entrance to the keep – a pair of massive iron doors that ten people could walk through side-by-side, kept shut by rust and a sizable pile of rock heaped against it. You also find another hole in the wall, slightly smaller than the one you came through, providing an exit out of a room that you think might once have been a kitchen. Piles of broken rock are heaped just outside. These piles are new – nothing is growing on or around them.

                  Soon enough, you find a sizable hallway full of stone debris and wooden sledges. At the end of this hallway, you find a great shaft that looks like it goes up to the top of the keep and a level or two down below it. Once, there were probably stairs here. If so, someone spent some time and effort collapsing them from top to bottom. A rope-ladder leading down to the bottom has been fastened to the edge of the shaft, right next to some kind of pulley-lift with a net. Looking down into the shaft, you see a great heap of stone right under the pulley, illuminated by several torches that fill the shaft with ominously flickering light. It seems there is another hall at the bottom of this pit, and the torches lead into it.

                  You can hear echoes coming from this lower hall - the cracking and clanging sounds of stone striking stone and metal striking stone, punctuated by shouts and grinding sounds. Evidently, the bandits are busy excavating something down there.

                  What do you do?
                  • Descend the ladder and investigate the lower hall. You won’t accomplish anything useful up here.
                  • Wait and observe some more. You’ve still got most of the day to finish your errand – no sense rushing things.
                  • Make some noise and draw the bandit workers out of their hole. Assuming you mean to kill them all, the ground level of the shaft is a good tactical position to start from. If nothing else, it’d be easy to drop rocks on people from here.
                  • Something Else?
                  *
                  It’s coming back to you now… the thing you came here to find is called the Stone of Making. It was described to you as a ‘head-sized piece of clear crystal, inside of which is an ever-shifting pattern of colors and shapes.’ Sounds easy enough to recognize. You don’t know what it’s for, or how the magus knew it would be here, or why he wants it.
                  Last edited by semicasual; 07-09-2015, 05:03 PM.


                  On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                  Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Make some noise and draw the bandit workers out of their hole. Our contract says to kill them all correct?


                    Bandits mining? I'm expecting a pirate ship at the end of this chapter!

                    /Old School World of Warcraft Reference


                    I write things.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                      Make some noise and draw the bandit workers out of their hole. Our contract says to kill them all correct?
                      Contract? It's barely a verbal agreement. "Elimination of the criminal element", as you figure it, just means "get rid of them." Nobody said how.

                      (Also: re - your previous questions... you might want to take a look at the first post again. That information isn't really relevant to your immediate problems.)


                      On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                      Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                        (Also: re - your previous questions... you might want to take a look at the first post again. That information isn't really relevant to your immediate problems.)
                        Ah! I guess my questions fall under this part:


                        I believe that the best stories are inferred more than they are told, so I am not going to give you any information out of character about our protagonist, the setting, mechanics, or anything else unless you tell me that you do not have enough information to make a decision… and even then, I will try to tell you only what you need to know using our protagonist’s idiosyncratic language. I also believe that not clearly defining what the protagonist knows or can do means I can change the scope of his abilities on the fly, which I think will be very useful for this semi-collaborative story between us.


                        Cool. I'll just shut up and do the job then.
                        Last edited by wonderandawe; 06-27-2015, 09:58 AM.


                        I write things.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Let's wait and observe some more. Might give the forehead itch time to die down a little bit.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            • Descend the ladder and investigate the lower hall. You won’t accomplish anything useful up here. What you want may be down there.


                            Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                            An Exalt is never unarmed.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Pull the rope ladder up. We don't want anyone to leave the lower levels for now. Use the rope and one of our weapons to make a grappling hook to get to the top of the keep. (We could make the jump, but we want this itch to go away. We have no reason to expose our Blessing) Take our time exploring the upper level while occasionally checking back to make sure nobody is trying to leave the lower levels. Give the "itch" plenty of time to fade. Then we go down below and finish the job.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                >Descend the ladder and investigate the lower hall. Up here seems to be empty and boring. Down there might be what you're looking for. And if you start glowing, at least you'll be in an confined area and can wait it out.


                                "Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

                                "Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X