Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WarDragon
    replied
    Seems like some of those could be combined. "Give him, and all of his belongings, to me." Then we turn him over to the merchants, along with a warning to not come so far North next time.

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    "I will have his head." He is one of them. Let the Wanderers take care of him.

Leave a comment:

• semicasual
    replied
    You look straight into Blue Jewel's eyes. "[I spared you from starvation. I rode to war on your behalf and drove the buck ogres away so that you could sleep soundly in your own lands. My people risked their own lives on behalf of yours, and I have asked nothing in return but aid in raising my own children's children.]" Now you turn to Grim Hammer, and the words come quick and loud, brooking no interruption. "[And while my warriors fought your war for you, Grim Hammer, you plotted against them. My son nearly died to save you! Out of greed and pride you would betray your own allies and provoke the Southerners for baubles, and in the doing you would bring my people and your own to ruin. What right have I to judge you? I have right to more than that, vermin.]"

"[Lies and treachery!]" shouts Grim Hammer. "[You only-]"

"[That is enough,]" declares Of Iron, before anyone can draw a weapon.

There is brief but intense silence. You take another breath to steady yourself and start again, still addressing Grim Hammer. "[I am a chief, and you are not. As a chief, I judge you by your actions, and how they affect others. That you have brought danger to the Wanderers is for your chiefs to consider; to act on or ignore, if they choose. That you have brought danger to the Sunblessed is for me to judge, and act on, as needed. Who are you to tell me otherwise?]"

"[I-]"

"[You have also tresspassed upon Sunblessed territory without permission, and that is for me to judge as well. It is my right and duty to protect the Sunblessed from all threats -- including the Wanderers, if you attempt to destroy the us. I will protect my clan in whatever way I need to -- with or without the cooperation of the Wanderer chiefs. Our two clans can continue to cooperate, with honor and honesty, as the Sunblessed have already kept our word to help you. But we will survive however we must.]"

You look at the chiefs without turning your head, emphasizing that last statement.

"[Enough, I say!]" says Of Iron, a little more forcefully this time.

"[Grim Hammer, do you have anything else to say?]" asks Vicious Dog, softly.

"[Do not listen to him.]" answers Grim Hammer, seething. "[He is arrogant, powerful, and an outsider. If you submit to him, he will take everything.]"

Blue Jewel rubs her forehead. "[I fear he is correct. Your actions have endangered us, Grim Hammer.]"

Vicious Dog sighs. "[The clan must come first. I do not trust Youngest Joy either, but once again it seems we have little choice.]"

Of Iron rests his hands on his knees and looks at the other chiefs without saying anything. Both of them nod, and Of Iron turns to you. "[What would you have us do, Chief Youngest Joy?]"

Grim Hammer pales.
    • "I will have his head." The Wanderers will punish their own, and you will watch. Perhaps afterwards you can take the corpse to show to the traders.
    • "Give him to me." You'll take custody of Grim Hammer and punish him how you see fit.
    • "Banish him." Grim Hammer will be scarred with the mark of a clanless one, and left to wander the steppes alone. Clanless are not people, and may be killed or taken as slaves by anyone who wishes to do so.
    • "Seize his property." Everything Grim Hammer has, including goods he stole and the clothes off his back, will be forfeit to you.
    • Something else?

(You all practically wrote that one for me. I'm ok with this.)

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
    Something else
    I am a chief, and you are not. As a chief, I judge you by your actions, and how they affect others. That you have brought danger to the Wanderers is for your chiefs to consider; to act upon or ignore, if they choose. That you have brought danger to the Sunblessed is for me to judge, and act upon, as needed.
    ((this, and add: ))

You have also tresspassed upon Sunblessed territory without permission, and that is for me to judge as well.
    It is my right and duty to protect the Sunblessed from all threats -- including the Wanderers, if you attempt to destroy the us. I will protect my clan in whatever way I need to -- with or without the cooperation of the Wanderer chiefs. Our two clans can continue to cooperate and help one another, with honor and honesty, as the Sunblessed have already kept our word to help you, shedding our blood in war on your behalf. But we will survive however we must.
    Last edited by Erinys; 02-06-2016, 06:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The MG
    replied
    Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
    Something else
    I am a chief, and you are not. As a chief, I judge you by your actions, and how they affect others. That you have brought danger to the Wanderers is for your chiefs to consider; to act upon or ignore, if they choose. That you have brought danger to the Sunblessed is for me to judge, and act upon, as needed. Who are you, vainglorious worm, to tell me otherwise?
    I, for one, am down with this.

Also:
    Originally posted by Ferryman View Post
    Grim Hammer is a continuing problem. Discredit him.
    Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
    This. If we play our cards right these fools will thank us for killing Grim Hammer.
    Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    Discredit Grim Hammer.
    Originally posted by WarDragon View Post
    I agree with discrediting Grim Hammer, as harshly and insultingly as possible.
    Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
    I'll throw my hat in with Discrediting Grim Hammer.

Leave a comment:

• L'het'esh
    replied
    Something else
    I am a chief, and you are not. As a chief, I judge you by your actions, and how they affect others. That you have brought danger to the Wanderers is for your chiefs to consider; to act upon or ignore, if they choose. That you have brought danger to the Sunblessed is for me to judge, and act upon, as needed. Who are you, vainglorious worm, to tell me otherwise?

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    "I spared you from starvation. I rode to war on your behalf and drove the buck ogres away so that you could sleep soundly in your own lands. My people risked their own lives on behalf of yours, and I have asked nothing in return but aid in raising my own children's children. And while my warriors fought your war for you, Grim Hammer, you plotted against them! Out of greed and pride you would betray your own allies and provoke the Southerners for baubles, and in the doing you would bring my people and your own to ruin. What right have I to judge you? I have right to more than that, you mewling cur!"

(best delivered while slowly rising to our feet over him and filling the tent with the threat of imminent violence)

This but mention that one of our children was injured during the hunt.

((I'll stop piggy backing off of other's people choices eventually. ))

Leave a comment:

• Ferryman
    replied
    "I spared you from starvation. I rode to war on your behalf and drove the buck ogres away so that you could sleep soundly in your own lands. My people risked their own lives on behalf of yours, and I have asked nothing in return but aid in raising my own children's children. And while my warriors fought your war for you, Grim Hammer, you plotted against them! Out of greed and pride you would betray your own allies and provoke the Southerners for baubles, and in the doing you would bring my people and your own to ruin. What right have I to judge you? I have right to more than that, you mewling cur!"

(best delivered while slowly rising to our feet over him and filling the tent with the threat of imminent violence)

Leave a comment:

• semicasual
    replied
    You take a deep breath and concentrate. What you say next has to sound believable despite the chiefs’ reservations. “[Forget not that Grim Hammer attacked me when I first came to you. You may know that his promised bride now lives among the Sunblessed. He hates me, and wishes to see me suffer.]”

Grim Hammer starts to spit a response when Vicious Dog puts a hand on his shoulder again. “[One might argue that he has good cause to hate you, Chief Youngest Joy,]” the dark chief drawls. “[But should we punish a man for his thoughts? His actions are the cause for this meeting.]”

You ignore Vicious Dog and focus on your real enemy. “[You struck the caravan on Sunblessed lands deliberately, Grim Hammer,]” you accuse. “[With your masks, the southerners would assume the obvious – that my people attacked them. And you left some alive to spread the word, to make sure.]” You lean forward. “[You mean for the southerners to destroy us as they destroyed all the clans, generations ago. Do you believe they would spare the women this time? Or that they would stop with me if they discovered another clan?]”

Grim Hammer exhales forcefully. “[You let them live, Youngest Joy,]” he objects, trying to match your tone of voice. “[If you feared them so, you would have killed them yourself. It is obvious that their… friendship… is worth more to you than ours.]”

You look at the other chiefs, particularly Blue Jewel. “[I spared them from mercy. But Grim Hammer puts us all in danger. Will you risk a war for a few carts and one man’s grudge against me?]”

The three chiefs look troubled, each in their own way. Of Iron rests his head on his steepled fingers. Blue Jewel crosses her arms and stares into an empty corner of the tent. Vicious Dog just frowns.

Eventually Grim Hammer bursts, breaking the tense silence. “[You cannot listen to him!]” he half-shouts, half-cries at the chiefs. “[I brought you victory and spoils, and asked for nothing except brotherhood! You would turn me out for this?]” Nobody answers. Perhaps they are shocked by the accusation or are searching for the right words. A single second seems to stretch out forever, before Grim Hammer turns to you again. “[You are not one of us!]” he barks. “[What right have you to judge me? To judge any of us!?]”

The question was rhetorical, but it provides an opening for you to give the chiefs a true answer.
    • “I am trying to save you.” Given your history, you feel some obligation to the Wanderers, even if they aren’t technically your people. Protecting them is your responsibility, if they will accept that.
    • “I spared you from starvation.” You did not help out of charity, but even so the Wanderers owe the Sunblessed – and you – their lives.
    • “My ‘right’ is a strong right arm.” You came here to get your due and you’ll take it by force if you have to.
    • “I need no ‘right.’ I have twenty hostages.” The cruelest threats are against people’s loves, not their lives. Crueler still are threats that follow broken promises.
    • Something else?

Leave a comment:

• The Unsung Hero
    replied
    I'll throw my hat in with Discrediting Grim Hammer. I would follow it up to appealing to Of Iron. We need more strength and he's our best ally here!

Leave a comment:

• semicasual
    replied
    (Error - disregard this post)

Leave a comment:

• WarDragon
    replied
    I agree with discrediting Grim Hammer, as harshly and insultingly as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Discredit Grim Hammer.
    Maybe also point out that by doing this, and allowing two Southerners to survive, the Wanderers have already almost guaranteed that the Southerners will send an army to attack everyone in the Steppes, and they might not leave any survivors this time. Make Grim Hammer's behavior out to be a dire threat to the survival of the Wanderers.

We may have to point out that Grim Hammer's band made the attack in Sunblessed territory, without our permission, to draw the southerners to attack the Sunblessed. It is quite clear that the Wanderers plan to eliminate all the Sunblessed (along with the Wanderer women) and steal our land. We may have to continue with the "Threaten Everyone" plan ((L'het'esh's plan)) to make it clear that Wanderer attempts to kill the Sunblessed, directly or indirectly, will attract massive, overwhelming retaliation. Or violent preventive measures, whichever we judge necessary. Make it very clear that if the Wanderers decide to become our enemies, they will lose.
    Last edited by Erinys; 02-05-2016, 01:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    Grim Hammer is a continuing problem. Discredit him. Doing so will cast doubt on the wisdom of his actions and weaken Vicious Dog in the eyes of the other two, since he has already cast himself in support of this worm.

As for Grim Hammer himself, he will no doubt take offense and do something foolish. We can kill him then without losing face. Let's be sure to watch him carefully if he doesn't do so right away, though - if he strikes against the Sunblessed instead of us, he could cause great harm before he dies.
    This. If we play our cards right these fools will thank us for killing Grim Hammer.

Leave a comment:

• Ferryman
    replied
    Grim Hammer is a continuing problem. Discredit him. Doing so will cast doubt on the wisdom of his actions and weaken Vicious Dog in the eyes of the other two, since he has already cast himself in support of this worm.

As for Grim Hammer himself, he will no doubt take offense and do something foolish. We can kill him then without losing face. Let's be sure to watch him carefully if he doesn't do so right away, though - if he strikes against the Sunblessed instead of us, he could cause great harm before he dies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X