From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
    The children that have been born (not created by the Stone of Making) thus far are toddler age or under. After spending a week with a two year old, the last thing you want at your first diplomatic talks is a two year old.
    Even better, we can bring an infant and use emergency diaper changing as an exuse to get out of any awkward conversation we find ourselves in.

LoL. Or not.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
    Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• “[I will go to the other people and speak with them,]” you announce, both for the benefit of First and Fire Heart and for anyone else who might be listening. “[First, Fire Heart – you will accompany me. So shall… Stone Will1 and Jewel Flower2,]” you continue, picking two children who you trust to keep level heads. “[Gather the others and rations for two days. We will leave as soon as all are ready.]”

Stone Will, your sixty-third child, rarely speaks – he takes orders without complaint, and praises with reservation. He isn’t slow in the head, you don’t think, but his stony silence makes him inscrutable.
      Jewel Flower, your twenty-fourth, doesn’t mingle with the other children as much. When she isn’t training or working, she likes to ride or walk alone around the plains beyond Cold Springs. She has reported seeing other people a few times before.

You bring all of your weapons, plus the Stone of Making in your saddlebag. Your children also bring bows and hunting knives. The five of you set out on horseback3 before noon. The early morning drizzle has stopped, and the light of the rising run sparkles on the grass. It promises to be a pleasant day, but you all travel in somber silence, contemplating what lies ahead.

To start with, you head northeast to the place where Fire Heart says that he broke contact with the other people. The site is a wide dip in the hills, made muddy by the recent rain. You are able to find the tracks of six horsemen right away, and then it is only a matter of following their trail back – watching for places where the grass has been disturbed or scrubs have been trampled. They evidently went north stayed in a loose group all the while, so the trail remains clear for several miles.

In time, you begin to discover other tracks – horses and people, coming and going. Your group’s pace slows as everyone takes to scanning the area, looking for signs of human presence. Soon, you spot a lookout on a faraway hill. The group turns in that direction and picks up the pace. The lookout naturally sees you coming and moves to the other side of the hill, out of sight.

“[Be wary of ambush]”, you order. “[If they attack with bows, scatter and go to ground. If they close the distance, let your horse carry you out of reach. Protect each other first – leave me to kill as many as I can.]”

As you approach the hill, the lookout reappears along with five other people. Curiously, they are not mounted, and they keep their arms out of sight. They watch in silence while your group trots to the base of the hill, and then one of them steps forward. You hold up a hand, signaling your band to halt.

The strangers are clearly of the steppe peoples – their facial features, hide and leather clothing, and general styling all make that clear – but they are not of a clan you remember. Their representative is a skinny man with sunken eyes and tousled short hair. He wears many amulets and charms about his person, haphazardly hanging them from his neck and arms. Some of these you recognize as talismans to ward off evil or bring good fortune. He could be a shaman, although most shamans you’ve known took more care with their appearance than this man.

The representative steps forward with his arms open in welcome, and begins a chant in the gods’s tongue. The words are a little different from what you are familiar with, but it sounds like a simple invocation for a spirit – generic praise of the spirit’s majesty and power, expression of a desire for friendship, and a plea for mercy all in one. You listen in silence while you study the representative’s fellows. They are all maintaining blank expressions, but you sense some tension – fear perhaps?

With his chant complete, the ‘shaman’ falls silent and looks at you, perhaps trying to sense your intentions. You look back without saying a word.

Before the awkward silence stretches out too long, the representative clears his throat. He resumes speaking in gods’ tongue, making broad gestures at himself, his companions, and the surrounding area. Then he gestures at you, and his voice rises in pitch and volume. He pulls a charm rattle from a pouch around his waist and brandishes it in your direction. You have no idea what he is saying.

Your children look to you, ready to follow your lead. What now?
      • Tell them you don’t speak gods’ tongue. No communication is going to happen while this idiot babbles at you in a language you don’t speak.
      • Make a display of Blessed power. Stoke the power within you and let your Mark blaze with glory. That should impress them.
      • Make a display of creative power. Use the stone to produce a fruit tree, or something. That should impress them.
      • Attack them. Their representative doesn’t seem friendly. Well, whoever strikes first usually strikes last…
      • Something else?
      Your clan’s small herd is mostly made, not born. You tried making perfect horses, at first, but eventually decided that you’d have better luck breeding them the natural way instead of crafting each one by hand. So now you have some thirty adults (mostly mares) and a few foals. With a few decades of work, you’ll have the best herd in the world, you’re sure. And in the meantime, you have plenty of mare’s milk. It’s strange to think of it, but you really missed mare’s milk. And kumis. Can’t remember the last time you had kumis…
      Last edited by semicasual; 11-03-2015, 10:16 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Tell them you don't speak gods' tongue. Communication is our goal here. Maybe he thinks I'm a god? That would be strange but not impossible.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• Tell him that his gods' tongue is terrible, and that you'll suffer no more of it. If the man thinks we're a god, let him think that for a bit longer.

Comment

• Tell them you don’t speak gods’ tongue.
            I agree with Ferryman. The 'shaman' and his bunch may have been here awhile, and afraid of the relatively sudden appearance of the Sunblessed.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
            An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
              Tell him that his gods' tongue is terrible, and that you'll suffer no more of it. If the man thinks we're a god, let him think that for a bit longer.
              I like the idea. Though, as a friendly alternative, I would be toll tell him that our compatriots don't speak gods' tongue. Who knows, maybe they do have friendly intentions.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                Tell him that his gods' tongue is terrible, and that you'll suffer no more of it. If the man thinks we're a god, let him think that for a bit longer.
                This. Try to speak in a language you know, but make it seem like you are doing the mortals a favor. Don't show ignorance to these people (or your tribe).
                Last edited by wonderandawe; 10-26-2015, 12:55 PM.

I write things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trag View Post
                  Though, as a friendly alternative, I would be toll tell him that our compatriots don't speak gods' tongue. Who knows, maybe they do have friendly intentions.
                  This is good. The shaman actually seems somewhat friendly, or at least not hostile.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trag View Post

Though, as a friendly alternative, I would be toll tell him that our compatriots don't speak gods' tongue. Who knows, maybe they do have friendly intentions.
                    I vote for this one. But don't reveal that you don't know what he's saying. Be friendly but play it close to the vest.

Hi, I'm Smiles With Fangs. I backed Exalted 3rd edition, but I can't make the image I have smaller so here's a kitten

I made some Liminal Charms here I made some Evocations for Wood Dragon's Claws here I'm working on a splat for the Moonsilver Warriors here

Comment

• “[You need not speak the gods’ tongue to me],” you say, butting in. If this fool wants to think you are a god, then let him, but you still need to understand what he says. “[Now, repeat what you said for the benefit of my children.]”

The shaman seems taken aback – whether at the interruption, at being spoken to in his own language, or at the request, you are not sure. He blinks, clears his throat, and then starts speaking again as though nothing had happened.

“[Mighty god of the plains, bringer of life, great creator – we approach you humbly, in awe of your power and grace. We have watched you from afar, seen how you have transformed the land, bringing plenty to a place where there was little. Your glory has blessed the very earth you walk upon. Truly, your magnificence is boundless, great spirit…]”

He goes on with the empty praises for some time. First gets a quizzical look on her face and opens her mouth as if to make an objection, but Jewel Flower grabs First’s arm. First remains quiet. For her part, Jewel Flower seems to be getting bored. Fire Heart shifts uncomfortably in his saddle. Stone Will is expressionless.

When the shaman pauses to take a breath, you interject. “[What is your name, shaman? What clan are you, and why are your people skulking around my land?]”

Once again, the shaman pauses, blinks, and clears his throat. “[I am called Eternal Peace, of the Wanderers clan1. We meant no offense, great spirit – it is merely that… uh…]” Some moments pass as Eternal Peace tries to find the right words. “[…we know nothing of you, not even your name. You do not answer to… traditional prayers or summons for gods of the earth. We, err… were unsure if the plain on which you dwell was sacred ground…]”

“[You feared to trespass because you knew not what I would do]” you say, interrupting for the third time. Your tone is somewhere between accusatory and exasperated.

Eternal peace deflates. “[…Yes, great spirit. It is as you say. Lacking in knowledge, we also lacked in courage. Please, forgive our weakness!]” A few of the Wanderers near him cringe.2 Fire Heart lets out a sigh.

You roll your eyes and consider what to say next. You feel you should introduce yourself and set the tone for further negotiation.
                      • “[I am called No Name.]”
                      • “[I am called Youngest Joy.]”
                      • “[I am called… Stone-Bearer, the Maker.]”
                      • Something else?
                      AND
                      • “[You are forgiven. If your intentions are peaceful, you may pass through my lands.]” These Wanderers seem harmless enough.
                      • “[My lands and my children are inviolate. Do not approach them again.]” These are not your people and you owe them nothing.
                      • “[I would know more of you. Take us to your clan leaders.]” A new tribe in the steppes is worth investigating further.
                      • Something else?
                      Never heard of them.

Mother always said that a good shaman should fear the gods, but not cower before them.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• “[I am called… Stone-Bearer, the Maker.]”

Let's not use any of the names we have been called in the past. Who knows what these people have heard about the tribes that lived here before.

[I would know more of you. Take us to your clan leaders.]

Take me to your Leader!

I write things.

Comment

• “[I am called No Name.]”
                          and
                          “[I would know more of you. Take us to your clan leaders.]”

Comment

• >I am called… the Stone-Bearer.

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                            Let's not use any of the names we have been called in the past. Who knows what these people have heard about the tribes that lived here before.
                            Let's also avoid giving a real name that might lead to being summoned. Hopefully summoning doesn't work on non-spirits, but some shamans have power over humans as well.

>I would know more of you. Take us to your clan leaders.

The Sunblessed don't have any need for trade, but they should learn about nearby peoples and how to interact with them -- how to judge who is or is not a threat, and how to treat with those who are not threats. Also, for the sake of them learning eventually to take more responsibility for caring for themselves, they might need to learn how to trade, in case trade ever becomes necessary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post

The Sunblessed don't have any need for trade, but they should learn about nearby peoples and how to interact with them -- how to judge who is or is not a threat, and how to treat with those who are not threats. Also, for the sake of them learning eventually to take more responsibility for caring for themselves, they might need to learn how to trade, in case trade ever becomes necessary.
                              There is more things to trade than physical items. Skills at Medicine or other trades could be useful. You can only create things with the Stone of Making that you can imagine.

I write things.

Comment

• “[I am called Youngest Joy.]” There is no point in using another name, because the Sunblessed will eventually use the name you chose when returning to the plain.

“[I would know more of you. Take us to your clan leaders.] A new tribe in the steppes is worth investigating further." See, I said there were others not at the battle.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                                An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

Working...
                                X