No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is something these elders are hiding about the formation of their tribe. I'm not sure if now is the best time to push that. It is better to investigate on our own.

And I am pretty sure that the Elders know that we are not a god. I'm going to hold my vote to see what everyone else things.

I write things.

Comment

• Ask further questions. The Wanderers came to us, and now they tell us of their need, and say their only concern is with the future. It does not matter if this is what they had planned to do, it has happened. So: do they intend to ask a boon of us? If so, they should ask it. If not, then they should cease their mewling.

Let them think me a god, or not. It makes no difference, and I will not educate them. It is their responsibility to offer wisdom and guidance to their people, not mine.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• Did they or did they not greet Youngest Joy with at least the respect due another chief? If no, that will make our tone more negative. (This should have been addressed at the time)
        The three emblems show the three fragments that merged, probably for self-protection, as none were large enough to keep going it alone. These elders don't want to talk? Maybe it doesn't matter, YJ doesn't want to give away a whole lot.

It does seem to indicate that these Wanderers were spying on YJ while he was making things, meaning YJ wasn't vigilant enough.
        • Ask further questions. Like why they decided to start crowding the Sunblessed. they could have done it some time ago, or put if off for later. Why now? This is important, there may be more problems than the buck-ogres...
        • Make an offer. Somewhat dependent on the answers given. It seems like they could use help, what do they want? What will they trade? The generosity will depend on the respect they have shown, which doesn't seem to be much.
        And these buck-ogres will have to be taken care of eventually. Is it time to teach/test the fighting skills of the Sunblessed?

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
        An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
          Did they or did they not greet Youngest Joy with at least the respect due another chief? If no, that will make our tone more negative. (This should have been addressed at the time)
          The three emblems show the three fragments that merged, probably for self-protection, as none were large enough to keep going it alone. These elders don't want to talk? Maybe it doesn't matter, YJ doesn't want to give away a whole lot.

It does seem to indicate that these Wanderers were spying on YJ while he was making things, meaning YJ wasn't vigilant enough.
          • Ask further questions. Like why they decided to start crowding the Sunblessed. they could have done it some time ago, or put if off for later. Why now?
          This. Considering that they skulked around instead of approaching honestly, forcing me to go to them, they aren't giving a good impression.
          Originally posted by Ferryman View Post
          Ask further questions. The Wanderers came to us, and now they tell us of their need, and say their only concern is with the future. It does not matter if this is what they had planned to do, it has happened. So: do they intend to ask a boon of us? If so, they should ask it.
          And this. And if they do ask, what are they prepared to offer in trade?

Not that this is the time to actually haggle over trade, only to try to find out more to think about later.
          Last edited by Erinys; 11-11-2015, 01:28 AM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
          Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• (So, broadly speaking, you want to ask:

* What do the wanderers want?
            * What can we get for it?

Anything else?)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Why there were skulking around spying on me and my people instead of approaching openly. (Not necessarly something to ask bluntly, but I should try to find out.)

I wonder about those people with the bag-hats. No clan I knew wore those. I wonder if the survivors merged with some outside people? (That's not something to ask at all, I don't think.)
              Last edited by Erinys; 11-11-2015, 11:47 AM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.

Comment

• Why have they abandoned the traditions of the clans?

I write things.

Comment

• ^^ That too, though it isn't necessary to say it directly, for diplomacy's sake. Particularly if they did treat me with the respect due a chief.
                  Last edited by Erinys; 11-11-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                    ^^ That too, though it isn't necessary to say it directly, for diplomacy's sake. Particularly if they did treat me with the respect due a chief.
                    An invitation to feast with the clan leaders is normal for a meeting with a respected equal - a chief, usually, although sometimes other travelers get the honor.

The chief coming personally to welcome you is normal for a meeting with someone not your equal - another chief who you're afraid might kill you, for example.

The chief, several shamans, and as many people as can be rounded up on short notice for a ceremony is normal for meeting with a god - not that gods tend to walk into camps, much, but they need to be made welcome if it happens.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• ((Thanks. So what was the tradition that they abandoned that Otgonbayar wanted to ask about, but held his tongue? He tells his children not to treat him like a god, but he expects strangers to treat him like one?))

Comment

• (( I reread the past few posts and am going to change my question.))

What of the other traditions of the clans? Do you keep those as well?

I write things.

Comment

• “[Your people are encroaching on my land.]” You speak plainly, without accusation. “[What do you seek? Food? Fresh water? Animals?]”

Eternal Peace is sweating, and probably not from the heat. The three chiefs look at each other, exchanging unspoken thoughts again. Of Iron breaks the silence first. “[It was not our wish to disturb you, Stone-Bearer, but need drives us to this.]” The thin chief steeples his fingers. “[Our clan faces many hardships, each of which might be bearable on its own, but together they crush us. We lack for food. We lack for safe land in which to forage and graze animals. And we lack for means to move the clan further west to greener pastures.]”

“[You did not try to invoke me for aid, Wanderer. Your scouts skulked about, scrounging at the edges of my domain. Only now, when my gaze has turned to you, do you ask for favors.]” Your voice gets harder as you go along. Something about the over-cautious, opportunistic nature of these people offends you.

“[Please forgive us, mighty one!]” Eternal Peace almost wails. “[We are weak before your awesome power! Our mortal frailty-]”

“[SILENCE!]” You bark at the whining shaman. Your stormy gaze sweeps over the four Wanderers. “[You are weak because you have chosen to be weak. You suffer because you have not fought to improve your lives. Worst of all, you have wilfully forgotten the names of your birth-clans. Without strength, courage, or history, what is there in you that is worth preserving!?]”

The silence that follows your outburst in some ways feels louder than shouting. You clench your fists in your lap as you try to stare down all four of them. Your children look at you and each other, but do not say anything. The fire crackles as bits of fat from the cooking meat drop into it – the smell feels very out of place with the atmosphere in the tent.

Eventually Blue Jewel speaks up. “[Eternal Peace… you may go. We will summon you if you are needed.]” She keeps her voice tightly under control.

Eternal Peace, pale-faced and shaking, nods, stands up, and walks out of the tent. He nearly bumps into the two serving girls on the way out, who have brought in a jug and a stack of nine small bowls. They set the dishes down between the braziers. They begin to leave after the shaman, but one of them grimaces, doubles back, grabs one of the bowls and takes it with her when she goes.

“[We did not invite you here to justify ourselves to you, Stone-Bearer],” says Vicious Dog, seeming unshaken. Again, you have a sense that something is being left unsaid. “[Despite what you may think, there is much we can offer you. And if you find us wanting, you are under no obligation to help us.]”

Of Iron, who had been taking measured breaths for a while, now rejoins the talks. “[We have little to trade in goods, but if there is any service we can perform for you, we will do it.]”

First reaches out again for a skewer – by now the meat is ready, the vegetables are at least ready enough, and the dough has been baked into bread. Fire Heart, then Stone Will, then finally Jewel Flower each take sticks and portions for themselves, pulling chunks off with their teeth or hands. You let out a small sigh and take a skewer for your own. The chiefs serve themselves as well. Discussion subsides for the moment while everyone eats. The meat comes from a young goat, and it is fresh. While you chew, you consider the needs of the Sunblessed clan.

To begin with, the day’s events have shown you that you have spent too long in the Sunblessed bubble you made. Your knowledge of the steppes is largely out of date now. You have not taken the time to explore properly, nor did you send any of your children out to explore in your stead. Even knowing this, the thought of sending some of your people, of whom there are few, out to roam the land without any hope of support makes you wince.

You also lack knowledge of certain crafts. Up to this point, it was never a problem to periodically conjure up clothing, weapons, or farming tools with the Stone. Still, the fact remains that the Sunblessed have no weavers, no forge, no tannery, and the farms you have made seem crude to you in comparison with the high-yield croplands further south.

Then there is your clan’s spiritual welfare to consider. You taught them the words to every prayer you knew, but you do not know what the words mean. It discomforts you to lead them in rituals when you barely know what god you invoking or why. The children follow you without question, which somehow makes it worse. To date, it is not apparent that any gods have answered their prayers, and you are not sure whether this is a good sign or a bad one.

Finally, there are problems with the Sunblessed themselves. Last month, a baby died of exposure while his mother, Morning Star1, was out working in the fields. It was a terrible shock to Morning Star, confusing and alarming for the rest of the clan, and a great consternation to you. To you, it seemed obvious that leaving a child alone and underdressed outside would kill it, but the Sunblessed were curiously unaware of this. Only then did it become clear to you that your children, having been made as adults, had no knowledge of what it was like to be “young” or how to be parents. You shared what knowledge you had, which was little – being the youngest in your family, you knew more about being cared for than about caring. Privately, you worry what else you have yet to learn about your created clan.
                          Your thirty-ninth child. She gravitated to your fortieth, Strong Elm, the day he was born. They were inseparable, at least until the baby died. They hadn’t named him – maybe they expected you to do it, but they didn’t ask.

You swallow the last bit of meat from your stick. It was hardly extravagant, as feasts go, but everyone seems satisfied with the meal. The act of eating did wonders to ease the tension in the room, as well. The time feels right to make a proposal.

What will you offer?
                          • Hunt the buck-ogres. It could be fun, and if the Wanderers aren’t too scared to go east anymore that should solve a few of their problems. Maybe bring the children with you, for practice.
                          • Let the Wanderers onto your land. The Plain of Cold Springs can support many more people than your clan – you’re sure of it.
                          • Make this part of the steppes a paradise. A time-consuming land-shaping project now could win you allies for life… or, at least, for their lives.
                          • Conjure food. Instead of arranging for the Wanderers to get their own food supply, you could have them eating from the palm of your hand – maybe literally. As long as you stand between them and starvation, you’ll have a lot of power over them.
                          • Nothing. You will not give payment.
                          • Something else?
                          AND
                          What will you demand?
                          • Scouting. Everything the Wanderers know of the steppes today, you want to know too. Maybe record it all on one of Fire Heart’s maps.
                          • Craftsmen. You will take several of the Wanderers’ artisans and experts to serve the Sunblessed – not for life, probably, but at least for the next year or two until they can teach the Sunblessed to work for themselves.
                          • A Shaman. Someone other than you to go between the Sunblessed and the gods… or at least, someone who can teach you to do it right. You’re getting very tired of not knowing gods’ tongue. This person will probably be with you for life, so make sure they don’t give you Eternal Peace.
                          • Mothers. You think… twenty or so should be enough for the foreseeable future. People whose job it is to nurse and tend to the infants the Sunblessed are having now. Getting the Sunblessed themselves to do it might be a lost cause.
                          • Nothing. You will make no demands.
                          • Something else?

Comment

• There are different potential trades, and some things that would definitely be bad ideas, at least for now.

Not wanting to:
                            Let the Wanderers onto your land.
                            That could work fine, but the risk to the Sunblessed is probably too great. I have no way to know if these Wanderers are trustworthy, especially since they have given up some of the old ways and I can't predict how they'll behave. Also, at that point there would be little left to offer them in exchange for what I need.

So what can I do?

Trade horses, food, and stuff for the services of crafters and/or nurses. This would be temporary, so if they don't like how their people are treated or decide my food and horses are unnatural they can end the arrangement. It immediately starts making both clans more able to support themselves. I can see what their people are like, if they can be trusted, maybe try to learn more about their history. It does mean that those Wanderers will eventually learn that I told the Sunblessed I'm not a god.

Kill Buck Ogres, after asking for scouting information. This gives the Sunblessed two things that they need (info and not having Buck Ogres around), and takes some pressure off of the Wanderers. On the other hand, they'd have to take my word that I will give them my part, and I'd have to leave the Sunblessed to defend themselves ... better make sure the Wanderers really don't want to offend me (more) before doing that.

Make this part of the steppes very fertile, in exchange for a shaman. This is something that, unfortunately, will have to wait a while. I would want first to see what their people are like, how honest they are, what traditions they do respect, and what they do once they see more about what my Blessing really is. They're also more likely to agree to send someone permanently after some people who come temporarily are treated decently. I'd also have to tell a shaman rather explicitly I'm not a god and worry that they have stories about the Blessed one who abandoned the clans to die, is not how I want to start anything. And Eternal Peace is not a promising sample. Who trained him?
                            Last edited by Erinys; 11-13-2015, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• (Anyone else have trading preferences to share?)

Comment

• Trade stuff for skills. Don't make them permanently dependent on us, but we can help them through a rough patch.

Kill the Buck-Ogres in exchange for news of what's been going on in the steppes since we left.

Comment

Working...
                                X