No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's stay, briefly. The Southerners are enemies of all Steppe people, and they will rob and spy on the Sunblessed if they can. Furthermore, I must personally ensure the Wanderer women have what they need. The Sunblessed might somehow not know how to.

And while I'm away hunting, I should try to return home periodically.

Lastly, hunting ogres while I'm tired is a bad idea, so I have to wait a little bit anyway.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
    Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• Wait for the traders to return. They’re a more urgent concern for your clan and maybe for you, personally. You also should make sure the new clan mothers get adjusted right.

Wait 5-7 days to settle in the new mothers and their children. Work out any frictions. Intense combat training.

Also, pick who is to make decisions while you are gone. This is vital, the Wanderers may, purposely or otherwise, cause trouble or do/suggest something that requires a decision. The Sunblessed will need a leader, especially if the traders return. They are to be told the chief did not approve of their sharp trading and has forbidden any further trade. They are to leave and not return. It means leaving some that can fight as guards while being away hunting, the cause of the focus on combat. Some ten or so may be enough to scare them off.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
      An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Start the hunt at once. Fuck the traders.

L'het'esh is right, though: we need to appoint someone to make decisions while we are gone. Preferably, a small council.

Comment

• Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
          Also, pick who is to make decisions while you are gone. This is vital, the Wanderers may, purposely or otherwise, cause trouble or do/suggest something that requires a decision. The Sunblessed will need a leader, especially if the traders return. They are to be told the chief did not approve of their sharp trading and has forbidden any further trade. They are to leave and not return. It means leaving some that can fight as guards while being away hunting, the cause of the focus on combat. Some ten or so may be enough to scare them off.
          All very good.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
            Wait for the traders to return. They’re a more urgent concern for your clan and maybe for you, personally. You also should make sure the new clan mothers get adjusted right.

Wait 5-7 days to settle in the new mothers and their children. Work out any frictions. Intense combat training.

I'm going to go with this too, though we don't want to wait too long before fulfilling our agreement. Get settled and try to wait for the traders. If they take too long. then leave to fulfill your agreement.

Originally posted by L'het'esh;n778101
            Also, [I
            pick who is to make decisions while you are gone[/I]. This is vital, the Wanderers may, purposely or otherwise, cause trouble or do/suggest something that requires a decision. The Sunblessed will need a leader, especially if the traders return. They are to be told the chief did not approve of their sharp trading and has forbidden any further trade. They are to leave and not return. It means leaving some that can fight as guards while being away hunting, the cause of the focus on combat. Some ten or so may be enough to scare them off.
            Yes. We need to start delegating and encouraging independence in the Sunblessed. We obviously can't be at two places at once.

I write things.

Comment

• Wait, but not for too long. The buck-ogre problem does need to be addressed. We should wait a few days to rest, to make certain that the nurses settle and resolve any initial tensions. Then we need to begin the hunt.

During this time we should also delegate a small group of the Sunblessed to speak on our behalf. It would be best to devolve specific duties to individuals - one to make decisions regarding the nurses, another to lead our warriors, and perhaps two or three charged to deal with the traders if they return. They should be instructed that trading cannot occur until I have returned. To ban the merchants outright might not be for the best - they may have things that I cannot make, like books. Still, my children should know to be wary of southern traders.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• Track down the merchants yourself, and send them on their way, while sending a scout party to find the Buck Ogres, with orders not to engage until they come back and get us.

Comment

• (Almost everyone agrees that we need set up leadership to guide the Sunblessed in our absence. Before we can do that, though, we need to set our priorities for who is going to lead, and how.

Who should lead?
                  • A Chief. No confusion or argument about who gets to be in charge. One person, calling all the shots. (if you have someone specific in mind, you can name them)
                  • A Council. Three, five, or maybe as many as nine Sunblessed you select will make decisions as a group - the reasoning being that two heads are better than one, and a few more can't hurt.
                  • Everyone and No One. If anything big enough to affect the whole clan comes up, then they should settle it together. Otherwise, let them all manage their own business.
                  • Something else?
                  How should they handle things?
                  • Accepting. The Sunblessed should try to make nice with the Wanderers, southerners, or anyone else who doesn't show up looking for a fight.
                  • Defensive. The Sunblessed should only trust proven allies, which means nobody for now. Watch the Wanderers carefully and don't make deals with the traders.
                  • Aggressive. The Sunblessed should treat anyone not of the clan as a trespasser and do whatever they have to to protect their land.
                  • Something else?
                  We'll be staying for about a week, and if the traders aren't back by then we'll leave anyway. After that, someone else can be in charge.)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• A defensive council.

Comment

• A Defensive Council- We don't need to start pissing people off, but we don't want the Sunblessed to start making deals when they might not understand all that is involved.

I write things.

Comment

• Defensive Council.

The Wanderer mothers should be made to feel comfortable as much as possible, there's no reason not to. The traders, however, should be discouraged from setting foot anywhere on clan territory. It's bad enough that they want to pressure Sunblessed into exploitative trades, but if they learn who the chief is and connect the clan with the "evil monster" warrior of the old clans, they may very well decide to murder all of the Sunblessed while we are gone away hunting ogres. Southerners should all be assumed absolutely untrustworthy and potentially hostile to the Sunblessed. (Unless for some reason Nuo shows up alone.)

Comment

• A council. We took Sunblessed with different personalities with us to watch their growth and heed the differences, we should employ those differences in debate. In time the Sunblessed must learn to rule themselves, but none are capable of being a chief. As yet.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                          An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• You decide to wait a short while – it will take time to prepare for a proper hunt, in any case.

First, you need to organize the party. Almost all of the Sunblessed want to go with you and you spend much time agonizing over who should come and who should stay. You weed out anyone who is sick, anyone who is a parent1, or anyone you think has a more important role to play at home. That narrows it down to about half of all the Sunblessed.

The village becomes a frenzy of activity for the next several days and you are busier than anyone else. You direct your children in preparing travel food - preserving meat and baking hard biscuits. You instruct them in some simple drills for fighting buck-ogres. You conjure many long spears and arrows. You go over maps and every bit of travel hearsay Fire Heart collected from the Wanderers. You spend nights doing whatever you could not find time for during the day and sleep half as much.

On the third day, you gather everyone together for an announcement - Gold Spirit, First, and Steel Warrior2 will make decisions on the clan’s behalf in your absence. Some grumble about this, but none of your children would accuse you of playing favorites to your face. Privately, you tell your appointed counsel that they are to be cautious in their dealings with outsiders. No more deals are to be made with the southerners. If any more traders show up then they are to be politely told to leave.

You periodically take a walk through the great house you built to see how the Wanderers are getting along. At first, they seem mystified by their new surroundings and the infants the Sunblessed unceremoniously give over to them. Rose and Wisdom Ornament adjust to the new routine fastest and help the others catch up. They all get accustomed to their new place soon enough, although many still act reserved around you. The Wanderers’ own children are raised alongside the Sunblessed’s for the sake of convenience, and they appear to get along as well as any group of young children do.

The traders never show up, and your scouts do not see them. At the end of the week, you decide you cannot wait anymore and set out with your hunting party.

Even with the new mothers, it’s a bad idea to encourage your children to run off on adventures and leave their own behind without a thought.
                            Your 14th.

You travel northeast with fifty Sunblessed. Most go on foot – only you and your advance scouts ride. The other horses you bring along carry baggage or nothing so you can cycle them out and avoid overtaxing them. The main group keeps a brisk space while the scouts range outward, looking for any sign of buck-ogres. You have a lot of ground to cover, and although you know you could theoretically keep on the move forever with the Stone to support you, you hope to be done with this hunt quickly. Leaving your home unattended grates on you, and you think about what you might be missing every day.

Fire Heart is the first to find the distinctive tracks of a buck-ogre – large hooves alongside even larger fist prints – midway through the second week. He and the other scouts cautiously follow the tracks ahead. The main group stays behind and gets into a defensive formation to wait. Later the same day the scouts come back and report the buck-ogres have set up a crude camp within striking range. About twelve of the beasts are there now, taking their ease. You and the scouts briefly talk over tactics before deciding to attack immediately, while there is still daylight.

Following what you remember of ogre-hunting tactics, the party splits up into smaller groups. Ten (including your scouts) mount up and ready their horse bows. They will start the attack by riding at the buck-ogre camp and shooting at any ogres in the open, hoping to draw the whole group away from the camp. Thirty spear-wielding warriors, split into two smaller groups of fifteen, form main attack group which will catch the ogres in a pincer attack as they chase the horse archers. The remaining ten hunters will wait in reserve to reinforce the main group if it looks like the buck-ogres are about to break out on any side.

This is not an ideal plan3, but you have seen it work before. If it is executed perfectly, you should be able to kill every ogre without losing anyone. But where should you be in this fight?
                            • With the archer skirmishers. They’ve got the most dangerous job – goading buck-ogres that can outrun a horse over short distances and outlast them over long ones. Any beast you can drop with Archer’s Paradox is one less your children have to fight.
                            • With the main attack group. Their part is the most important, as they’ll do most of the killing. You can take up a spear4 and do your part where you’ll have the most impact.
                            • With the reserve. It’s easier to see how things are going from a distance. You trust that your children can handle themselves and you can step in if you need to.
                            • Forget conventional tactics. Here’s another plan – you attack first, alone, while the Sunblessed surround the camp. The buck-ogres will try to crush you; you’ll cut them to bits. Then your hunters can rush in and overwhelm whatever is left.
                            • Something else?

Ideally, you’d have twice as many people and three times as many horses. Archers would try to kill as many ogres as possible and spearmen would only come in to fight the survivors. Still, you’ve got to work with what you have.

Your other weapons are no good for formation fighting, more’s the pity.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• I will join the archers, to start. However, after the spear warriors engage at medium range, it's no longer safe for [non-master] archers to shoot into the melee. At that point the archers have to drop back like the reserves and prepare to shoot any ogre that breaks out of the melee, while I wade in with a spear.

And I'll bring all my other weapons, so if things start to go wrong I can call everyone off and just go solo.

Obviously I won't bother to hide my Blessing.
                              Last edited by Erinys; 12-06-2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

• In the main attack group, taking the greatest share of the danger. And yeah, don't hold back.

Comment

Working...
                                X