No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleave everyone. That conversation wasn't interesting enough for an encore.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

Only kill the boss.

I don't particularly care about their lives, I just want to use a different weapon. Variety is the spice of life.

Comment

No, spare only the boss. He's the only one likely to know anything. Sunder his sword, and kill everyone else around you in the same motion. Lefty and Righty can be used to... persuade him to share his knowledge.

Comment

Eh... there's no real reason to spare their lives long term, but I want to have some more idea what shit Himitsu might try to pull on me. The question is whether Boss is the sort of guy who's more likely to tell me what I want to know after I kill his guys and prove I can kill him too, or if the only way to get anything out of him is to calm him down from being angry.

Probably just hack off his sword and kill a bunch of guys with Cleaver, then beat the Boss with Vortex, then threaten him with something pointy.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
          Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

Well, I like the Cleave option a little (ah, red. The color of blood), I did suggest Reaching Fist, ergo:

Only kill the boss. Some quick work with Reaching Fist will finish the bandit/scavenger/miner leader, and you can brandish his mutilated corpse at the others to make them kowtow.

Possibly you can make them enlarge the tunnel, by getting them the rope ladder, the food upstairs, and promising to let them go if they work a little harder. Why not? Himitsu wants them gone? Let go back to Himitsu! For their pay. And he'll pay all of us, if he wants his doodad. Otherwise it can go to the next bidder; if Himitsu can double-deal, we can, too.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
            An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

>Deliver a beating. Beating can kill with cracked skulls and pulled organs, after all. KO or kill everyone but the boss, disarm and disable him, find out more about your erstwhile employer, then lop off the snake's head and see what's behind Wall Number Two.

Oh and may as well leave someone alive to spread the tale of your legend.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
                Only kill the boss. Some quick work with Reaching Fist will finish the bandit/scavenger/miner leader, and you can brandish his mutilated corpse at the others to make them kowtow.

Possibly you can make them enlarge the tunnel, by getting them the rope ladder, the food upstairs, and promising to let them go if they work a little harder. Why not? Himitsu wants them gone? Let go back to Himitsu! For their pay. And he'll pay all of us, if he wants his doodad. Otherwise it can go to the next bidder; if Himitsu can double-deal, we can, too.
                Hm... well I can't get Himitsu his thing if they haven't found it yet. So I guess I can't kill them all until they do.

No rope ladder, though, then they can run away in terror. Bring food and alcohol by jumping. Throw firewood down.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.

Comment

First, you pull the satchel from your neck and toss it at the boss, buying yourself a few seconds while he instinctively knocks it aside. Next, you reach down to your leg and pull Vortex free. It expands into its normal form with a series of pops and snaps while you sweep your arm back, smacking Yan (or Jang, who cares?) in the jaw with the left rod. The boss takes a step forward and raises one sword, but steps back again as you twirl Vortex around behind and in front of you, sweeping its sections across his path.

You circle around until you’re in the middle of the hall – a calculated risk, giving you the most room to swing while also opening up more angles for attack. Around you, the brigands are getting to their feet, picking up whatever tools are already at hand or just raising their fists. None of them seem eager to run into the moving steel rods you have spinning around you, but that could change quickly…

You turn the momentum of your spin into a strike, lashing out with the right section at the boss. He blocks with his long sword, but the chain connecting the middle and right rods wraps around the blade briefly and you try to yank the weapon out of his hand. Instead of letting go, he steps forward, keeping pace with your pull while lunging at you with his other sword. You shift your grip and move to block with the left section - the edge of the short sword clatters off its side. You step back and twist the middle section around, pulling the first section loose and lightly hitting the boss’ arm as you get free.

Now you go on the offense, flailing left and right with Vortex to sweep the outer sections at the boss’ head. He deflects the first two or three attacks, but the next one comes in low and smashes into his left hand. He recoils, leaving that side defenseless. You move in and start clubbing his head with the right rod, beating him down.

Just when you think he’s about to fall, you sense movement behind you. You twist and sweep Vortex back, cracking the ribs of a bandit about to swing a hammer at you. He wheezes and clutches his side, but more start to close in. You swing low to your right, cracking another man’s kneecap, then high to your left, hitting a third man’s forearm. While they’re all staggering and cursing, you make a series of spinning strikes to their legs and skulls until they’re all on the floor, making pained noises or bleeding in silence.

You feel a pressure at your back, and suddenly you know without words that you are about to be stabbed in the back by the boss, who has recovered himself and is making one more desperate thrust. On instinct, you concentrate on your muscles. You feel a blade penetrate through the cloth and metal but stop against your skin. One more time, you turn around and it’s as if you’re floating in a dense liquid. You see the leader, bloody on the left side of his head, shock falling over his face as you take his attack unharmed. The short sword, still caught in your suit, passes out of his unresisting hand as you come about. You grip the second section of Vortex in both hands and swing the right section one with all your strength at his injured side. The blow knocks him right off his feet.

You swivel around, clutching the bloody staff, but the other brigands seem to be keeping their distance. Some of them flinch when you look their way. You start turn your attention to the chief, but find yourself distracted by a sharp scratching sensation in your back. You reach behind you, pull the chief’s short sword out, and toss it aside.

You glance down at the fallen leader. He is lying on his side, still holding his other sword, and trying to push himself up to rise again. You kick him over onto his back and stomp on his wrist, finally loosening his grip on the long blade while he yells out. You pick up his sword, take a step back, and take a slow, meaningful look at all of the men who are still standing. Then you snap the cheap iron over your knee and cast the pieces away.

“Talk,” you say, kicking the fallen leader again. “Did Himitsu pay you to find the Stone of Making?”

“Y-yes”, he groans. “Didn’t you know…?”

“I’m asking the questions. Where’s the stone?”

“I… I don’t know!” You put a boot to his hand and start applying pressure. “AAAAH! WE DON’T HAVE IT! WE THOUGHT IT WAS THROUGH HERE!”

You take your foot off his hand for a moment to look at the wall and the little gap in it. You’re starting to get a feeling you know where this is going. “How long have you been digging?”

“A month… maybe two months…”

“When did Himitsu’s last messenger show up?”

“Uh… a week and a half ago. She* wasn’t happy with how were working, said there’d be ‘consequences’…”

“Because you were slow, or because you were attacking traders?”

“OW! FUCK! She* didn’t say! I thought she was bluffing!”

“You thought wrong. What else do you know about Himitsu?”

“You work for him, don’t you AAAAH! Alright! Alright! He’s the man in charge of Eight Roads**! Works for Grand Magister Ayumu!*** Pays good money for old magic! I’ve never seen him! THAT’S ALL I KNOW I SWEAR!”
                  ”She?” Not an agent you’ve met then. You only know Li and Wei, both men as far as you know.

A regional trade hub, and your current base of operations. You’ve heard there are bigger places to the southwest, but you’re comfortable where you are. Eight Roads has the right balance of being connected enough that work is regular and isolated enough that you can get away from most things there. Funny, you thought the governor was named Souma… but then again, you don’t really care about politics if it’s not related to your work.

Kings and queens come and go, but Ayumu stays forever. He’s a sort of grand judge for the region. Rich people with problems sometimes go to him instead of going to war, which usually means less business for you. He’s been in power for as long as you’ve been paying attention, and as far as you know he stays there by being very careful about who he pisses off with his verdicts. Supposedly favors merchants above all others, which makes him very popular in Eight Roads.

You let up for a moment to give him time to breath and you time to think of more questions. The leader breaks the silence first: “He really did it,” he says, apparently talking to the wind even though he is looking right at you. “He sent a devil to make a point. Gods’ blood…”

….devil?

You suddenly realize that he is looking at your head, which feels very warm. Your heart sinks as you raise a hand in front of your face just above your eyes and see the Mark shining against your palm: a golden ring, as plain as day. It’s a beautiful light, the way it seems to pass through things and make them better…

You fucked up again. You got caught up in a fight and stopped holding the Mark back. Now everyone can see it.

What do you –
                  • You have to kill them all.
                  • They know about you. They know too much.
                  • Don’t let them live to talk.
                  • There is no other choice.

(Everyone voted for something mutually exclusive - I hope this and my next post makes for a passable compromise.)
                  Last edited by semicasual; 07-17-2015, 12:34 AM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

>You have to kill them all. The past few minutes, of information-gathering, of the aftermath, was, in hindsight, foolish, or at least indulgent - and now you're paying for the indulgence just as a fat sheriff pays with a bad case of gout after eating only sweetmeats for a year, off of extorted money. Now, even if you were inclined to let one run to spread the tale of your puissance, only ashes and blood would find their way back to you. You have to kill them all, and it brings absolutely no pleasure, but at this moment, it's them or you in a way that it hasn't been up to this point. It's just a simple fact. You have to kill them all.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Well they can't dig anymore now anyway. We'd better kill them.

Comment

Poor bastards. They probably haven't even realized that they're dead men yet. We could allow them a moment to realize that, but it might be more cruelty than kindness.

Might as well get to work.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

They know about you. They know too much.
                          Nuts! Labor is so tiring; now I will have to enlarge that hole and do the searching....

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                          An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

You drop Vortex on the floor and pull out Cleaver. When the bandit leader sees you draw it and raise it above your head, he begs you to wait and raises an arm in a feeble attempt to block. You cut right through his arm, neck, and a few inches of the floor.

The other men start to panic. Someone throws a rock and hits you in the stomach – you just ignore it. You chop through a pickaxe and the chest of the guy holding it. One man tries to crawl through the hole in the wall, and you run to catch him before he can escape. The others run past and away from you, fleeing towards the stairwell, while you pull him out by the legs. You stand on him to keep him still while you put the point of Cleaver through his head.

What you did before was fighting. What you’re doing now is murder.

The men in the stairwell have no way to escape. You have no difficulty cornering most of them and tearing them apart. One of them hurls something – the chief’s small sword, maybe? – at the pulley, and has the incredible luck to hit it in such a way that it drops its rope and net. He starts to climb the pulley rope while you’re awkwardly hitting the walls around another bandit who shows a great talent for dodging. Finally you manage to cut off a leg, which keeps him still long enough for you to finish him, and then turn your attention to the climber.

You set Cleaver down on the rocks while you pull Reaching Fist out. You grip the chain around the weighted end and start spinning around the sickle. When you think you’re up to speed, you let the sickle fly and it sinks into the small of the climber’s back. He screams when you pull on the chain and lets go of the rope, landing painfully on the rocks and driving the sickle further into himself. You approach and bash his skull in with the weighted end before turning him over, pulling out the sickle, and regathering the whole assembly. Then you go back and check over every body, decapitating anyone that looks like they’re still breathing.

Blood is everywhere again, and this time with no rain to wash it away. You make do by wiping off your weapons on the boss’ clothes.

With that sorry business over with, you make for the gap in the wall again. It’s a tight fit, but you’re able to go through after you’ve pushed some of your weapons and your satchel in ahead of you.

The air in here is very musty, but the hall is surprisingly clean. You could almost believe someone came through here and wiped down every surface every day for the past thousand years, or however long it was since this part of the castle got blocked off. A short distance away the hall feeds into a four-way intersection. At the center of the intersection is a great pillar covered in pictures, a multipart mural that goes around its entire circumference. The castle is featured in almost every image – it might be a pictorial history or something. Letters in the gods’ tongue are written around the base.

You can’t read the gods’ tongue, but you have a way around that. You dig through your satchel and pull out a small demon-faced mask* and a stick of charcoal. You lower the mask to the level of the text and move it slowly back and forth until it begins to speak aloud. You transcribe the words on the floor in your own language** as quickly as you can.

“You stand at the foundation of the fortress of One Thousand Horses, greatest of warriors and appointed guardian of the Great Steppes. Those who come to pay their respects are welcome – “ The mask stops speaking suddenly, and you circle around the pillar to point it at a different part of the writing. “- Those who would defile any part of this sanctuary will die at the hands of its guardians. Go forth and walk with Justice in the Light.”

You stop copying, disappointed, but while you’re looking at what you wrote you see some other markings on the floor. At a glance they look like more meaningless pictures, but on closer inspection they seem to be stylized directional arrows with more gods’ tongue writing beside them. You use the mask to read each one.

“West – Exit”
                            “North – Pools of Serenity”
                            “East – Resting Place”
                            “South – Alchemy“

You look east, and see that that hallway has collapsed, just like the western one did. You wonder if that was deliberate.

What next?
                            • Go North. You don’t know what a pool of serenity is, but maybe you can find a way around the blocked hallway in that direction.
                            • Go South. Maybe you can find some ancient alchemical stuff that would be useful.
                            • Something else?
                            Colorful, with long tusks sticking out of its mouth. It looks like the kind of thing a child might wear on the Dark Days to ward off evil. You bought it in a market about twelve years ago and you were skeptical of it at first, but it’s been very useful whenever you visit temples or old ruins like this one. The way it somehow speaks in your voice still unsettles you a bit, though.

Practicing your writing is important, even if no one else can read it.
                            Last edited by semicasual; 07-07-2015, 11:18 AM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Yep, this is a very different tone from the other two quests going on. Not a bad thing; Exalted definitely has its gritty side.

Go south; "Stone of Making" sounds sort of like alchemy.

Comment

Go north. Piss in the pool of serenity.

I write things.

Comment

Working...
                                X