From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
    Demand a meeting while subtly goading Grim Hammer. Let him invite death with the first blow.

Either way, we're going to kill him in the end.

Let's do this.

I write things.

Comment

• Er, did the Sunblessed already receive the goods bargained for?
      If yes, this was a mistake, the Wanderers have stolen the excess.

If no, were the tools paid for?
      If the Sunblessed did not receive the tools they have paid for, there is a grievance to be settled.
      If the Sunblessed did not pay yet, it is a matter of getting some and aggression is, again, a mistake.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
      An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
        Either way, we're going to kill him in the end.
        (I thought you might vote that way. :P)

Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
        Er, did the Sunblessed already receive the goods bargained for?
        If yes, this was a mistake, the Wanderers have stolen the excess.

If no, were the tools paid for?
        If the Sunblessed did not receive the tools they have paid for, there is a grievance to be settled.
        If the Sunblessed did not pay yet, it is a matter of getting some and aggression is, again, a mistake.
        (The goods were not received or paid for. This was, presumably, a new caravan with new stuff Kun and Ling wanted to trade with the inexplicably rich Sunblessed tribespeople.)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• You look down at the old woman. "[Chief Blue Jewel, I demand a conference,]" you announce, no longer shouting but still loud enough that Grim Hammer and others can hear. "[We need to talk about controlling your... subordinate.]"

Grim Hammer's eyes flash as he stands up. "[We do not answer to you!]", he shouts.

"[Grim Hammer, calm yourself]", says Blue Jewel, turning to face him. She does not sound happy either.

"[I will not be calmed! This man,]" Grim Hammer points to you, in case there was any doubt who he was talking about, "[acts like he is our chief! He comes to us uninvited to make demands, takes what he wants and then demands more. Why should we obey him!?]" The crowd rumbles with discontent. Loud declarations of agreement come from some of the masked people.

"[Enough, Grim Hammer! He is not our chief, but he has done enough to command respect,]" Of Iron calls over the rumbling. "[We will have conference - the four of us, and you. Come.]"

Grim Hammer snarls and hops off the cart. The five of you form a line to push through the crowd. Vicious Dog and Of Iron go in front, then Grim Hammer, then Blue Jewel, and finally you in the back. You noticed the Blue Jewel deliberately interposed herself between you and Grim Hammer. The Wanderers continue to mutter amongst themselves as you pass them by.

Soon, you find yourself back in the chiefs' tent, this time with no support. The three chiefs sit across from you once again. Grim Hammer is seated at Vicious Dog's side. As soon as everyone is in their places, Blue Jewel speaks in a firm voice. "[Chief Youngest Joy, what is your grievance with Grim Hammer?]"

"[The caravan he looted, that is even now being parceled out to your people, belonged to my trading partners,]" you respond, tight-lipped. "[They were attacked on the Sunblessed Plain, not at all far from our settlement. He is a thief, and his actions may mean war with the southerners.]"

"[A raid on southerners makes me a thief?]" retorts Grim Hammer. "[What business do you have with our sworn enemies?]"

"[We barter. What of it?]"

Grim Hammer's lip curls. "[We do not need barter, and we do not need you.]"

"[That is enough]," Vicious Dog interjects. "[Youngest Joy, had you already given these traders anything?]"

"[No.]"

"[Were you expecting any agreed-upon payment from them?]"

"[...No.]"

Vicious Dog shrugs. "[Then so far as I am concerned, Grim Hammer has done nothing wrong. His actions have not done you injury, however inconvenient they might have been.]" He gives you an unfriendly smile. "[If you want what the southerners had so badly, you might buy it from us.]"

Blue Jewel frowns. "[Wait. What threat of war is there?]"

You glare at Grim Hammer. "[You failed to kill all of them. Two survived, and they demanded 'restitution' from me. If they bring their story back south, I expect mercenaries to come for revenge.]"1

Grim Hammer snorts. "[So here you are, like an obedient dog, to claim their 'restitution'.]"

"[Stop]," commands Of Iron. "[We will not have fighting here.]"

"[If the threat is real, we can simply move... but the Sunblessed cannot do so easily...]" Blue Jewel muses aloud.

"[Do not forget, I have twenty of your people housed with my children,]" you remind her. She winces.

"[If the threat is real]," adds Vicious Dog. "[We have no proof of these traders' willingness or ability to strike back.If they had the power, they might have protected themselves better to begin with.]"

You growl back at the chiefs, gesturing at Grim Hammer. "[There would be no question, if this worm had not chosen to kick a hornets nest to spite me.]"

Grim Hammer raises his hands and shifts his weight as if he means to leap across the room and strangle you. Then Vicious Dog grabs his shoulder and Grim Hammer settles back down, letting out a long breath. "[You have no right,]" he mutters. "[We are not your slaves....]"

Of Iron surveys the room, and you in particular, taking in everyone's words and feelings without showing much of his own. "[...Have you anything more to add, Chief Youngest Joy?]" he asks, steepling his fingers.

You take a second to steady yourself and think before answering. This situation is delicate - what you say or do now could have an enormous impact on the future of the steppe peoples.
          • Call out Grim Hammer. You're going to kill him, now. You don't care about damaging the alliance, if you can just get rid of this thorn in your side.
          • Discredit Grim Hammer. The chiefs don't seem to be inclined to let you touch him. Better do something to change that.
          • Challenge Vicious Dog. He's been suspicious of you from the beginning. If you can shut him up, you'll have lot more control over this negotiation.
          • Try to steer Blue Jewel. She seems to be on the fence. Playing on her fear of war might get you somewhere.
          • Appeal to Of Iron. He might be your best ally here, if you can just get him to commit himself.
          • Threaten them all. You are a Blessed warrior, unstoppable in battle. They should fear you...
          • Do nothing. They probably won't decide for you - so be it. Respecting their' autonomy is the price you pay for friendship.
          • Something else?
          And for looting, probably, if Kun and Ling decide to spread the word that you have silver to burn.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Threaten them all.
            Remind them that it was the Wanderers who started with war parties, when they could not even kill the buck ogres. If this is how they want to behave, they should move far, far away. Far enough that the Sunblessed need not form a war party against the Wanderers, to prevent the Wanderers from raiding the Sunblessed. After all, raids on other tribes were just as common in the old days as raids south.

The Sunblessed and their chief, Youngest Joy, would have peace. What the Wanderers decide now will determine if the Sunblessed have peace with both the southerners and the Wanderers. If the Wanderers don't want a quarrel with the Sunblessed, do something now about the raid OR move.

(I said, above, it was a mistake to claim a hurt when no deal had been struck. The matter would have fallen out the same, but through diplomacy, without Grim Hammer present.)

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98

Comment

• Grim Hammer is a continuing problem. Discredit him. Doing so will cast doubt on the wisdom of his actions and weaken Vicious Dog in the eyes of the other two, since he has already cast himself in support of this worm.

As for Grim Hammer himself, he will no doubt take offense and do something foolish. We can kill him then without losing face. Let's be sure to watch him carefully if he doesn't do so right away, though - if he strikes against the Sunblessed instead of us, he could cause great harm before he dies.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferryman View Post
                Grim Hammer is a continuing problem. Discredit him. Doing so will cast doubt on the wisdom of his actions and weaken Vicious Dog in the eyes of the other two, since he has already cast himself in support of this worm.

As for Grim Hammer himself, he will no doubt take offense and do something foolish. We can kill him then without losing face. Let's be sure to watch him carefully if he doesn't do so right away, though - if he strikes against the Sunblessed instead of us, he could cause great harm before he dies.
                This. If we play our cards right these fools will thank us for killing Grim Hammer.

I write things.

Comment

• Discredit Grim Hammer.
                  Maybe also point out that by doing this, and allowing two Southerners to survive, the Wanderers have already almost guaranteed that the Southerners will send an army to attack everyone in the Steppes, and they might not leave any survivors this time. Make Grim Hammer's behavior out to be a dire threat to the survival of the Wanderers.

We may have to point out that Grim Hammer's band made the attack in Sunblessed territory, without our permission, to draw the southerners to attack the Sunblessed. It is quite clear that the Wanderers plan to eliminate all the Sunblessed (along with the Wanderer women) and steal our land. We may have to continue with the "Threaten Everyone" plan ((L'het'esh's plan)) to make it clear that Wanderer attempts to kill the Sunblessed, directly or indirectly, will attract massive, overwhelming retaliation. Or violent preventive measures, whichever we judge necessary. Make it very clear that if the Wanderers decide to become our enemies, they will lose.
                  Last edited by Erinys; 02-05-2016, 01:05 AM.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                  Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• I agree with discrediting Grim Hammer, as harshly and insultingly as possible.

Comment

• (Error - disregard this post)

Comment

• I'll throw my hat in with Discrediting Grim Hammer. I would follow it up to appealing to Of Iron. We need more strength and he's our best ally here!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• You take a deep breath and concentrate. What you say next has to sound believable despite the chiefs’ reservations. “[Forget not that Grim Hammer attacked me when I first came to you. You may know that his promised bride now lives among the Sunblessed. He hates me, and wishes to see me suffer.]”

Grim Hammer starts to spit a response when Vicious Dog puts a hand on his shoulder again. “[One might argue that he has good cause to hate you, Chief Youngest Joy,]” the dark chief drawls. “[But should we punish a man for his thoughts? His actions are the cause for this meeting.]”

You ignore Vicious Dog and focus on your real enemy. “[You struck the caravan on Sunblessed lands deliberately, Grim Hammer,]” you accuse. “[With your masks, the southerners would assume the obvious – that my people attacked them. And you left some alive to spread the word, to make sure.]” You lean forward. “[You mean for the southerners to destroy us as they destroyed all the clans, generations ago. Do you believe they would spare the women this time? Or that they would stop with me if they discovered another clan?]”

Grim Hammer exhales forcefully. “[You let them live, Youngest Joy,]” he objects, trying to match your tone of voice. “[If you feared them so, you would have killed them yourself. It is obvious that their… friendship… is worth more to you than ours.]”

You look at the other chiefs, particularly Blue Jewel. “[I spared them from mercy. But Grim Hammer puts us all in danger. Will you risk a war for a few carts and one man’s grudge against me?]”

The three chiefs look troubled, each in their own way. Of Iron rests his head on his steepled fingers. Blue Jewel crosses her arms and stares into an empty corner of the tent. Vicious Dog just frowns.

Eventually Grim Hammer bursts, breaking the tense silence. “[You cannot listen to him!]” he half-shouts, half-cries at the chiefs. “[I brought you victory and spoils, and asked for nothing except brotherhood! You would turn me out for this?]” Nobody answers. Perhaps they are shocked by the accusation or are searching for the right words. A single second seems to stretch out forever, before Grim Hammer turns to you again. “[You are not one of us!]” he barks. “[What right have you to judge me? To judge any of us!?]”

The question was rhetorical, but it provides an opening for you to give the chiefs a true answer.
                          • “I am trying to save you.” Given your history, you feel some obligation to the Wanderers, even if they aren’t technically your people. Protecting them is your responsibility, if they will accept that.
                          • “I spared you from starvation.” You did not help out of charity, but even so the Wanderers owe the Sunblessed – and you – their lives.
                          • “My ‘right’ is a strong right arm.” You came here to get your due and you’ll take it by force if you have to.
                          • “I need no ‘right.’ I have twenty hostages.” The cruelest threats are against people’s loves, not their lives. Crueler still are threats that follow broken promises.
                          • Something else?

Comment

• "I spared you from starvation. I rode to war on your behalf and drove the buck ogres away so that you could sleep soundly in your own lands. My people risked their own lives on behalf of yours, and I have asked nothing in return but aid in raising my own children's children. And while my warriors fought your war for you, Grim Hammer, you plotted against them! Out of greed and pride you would betray your own allies and provoke the Southerners for baubles, and in the doing you would bring my people and your own to ruin. What right have I to judge you? I have right to more than that, you mewling cur!"

(best delivered while slowly rising to our feet over him and filling the tent with the threat of imminent violence)

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferryman View Post
                              "I spared you from starvation. I rode to war on your behalf and drove the buck ogres away so that you could sleep soundly in your own lands. My people risked their own lives on behalf of yours, and I have asked nothing in return but aid in raising my own children's children. And while my warriors fought your war for you, Grim Hammer, you plotted against them! Out of greed and pride you would betray your own allies and provoke the Southerners for baubles, and in the doing you would bring my people and your own to ruin. What right have I to judge you? I have right to more than that, you mewling cur!"

(best delivered while slowly rising to our feet over him and filling the tent with the threat of imminent violence)

This but mention that one of our children was injured during the hunt.

((I'll stop piggy backing off of other's people choices eventually. ))

I write things.

Comment

• Something else
                                I am a chief, and you are not. As a chief, I judge you by your actions, and how they affect others. That you have brought danger to the Wanderers is for your chiefs to consider; to act upon or ignore, if they choose. That you have brought danger to the Sunblessed is for me to judge, and act upon, as needed. Who are you, vainglorious worm, to tell me otherwise?

Comment

Working...
                                X