No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask if they have any useful skills. If not, then "Stay the night. Tomorrow we'll see you off."

Comment

• Originally posted by WarDragon View Post
      Ask if they have any useful skills. If not, then "Stay the night. Tomorrow we'll see you off."
      This. Except give them some silver to start over. We have had to start from scratch before and it isn't fun.

I write things.

Comment

• I should note, skills worth keeping them for would have to be something really special; something we can't get any other way, like if one of them is a thaumaturgist or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarDragon View Post
          I should note, skills worth keeping them for would have to be something really special; something we can't get any other way, like if one of them is a thaumaturgist or something.

I'm hoping one of the knows the God's Tongue. Getting sick of all these spirits showing up and not knowing what they want.

I write things.

Comment

• Do we want closer ties to the southerners?
            If so, how much is the debt they were discussing? Is there enough silver to start them over, for a share of the business?
            If no, they can stay the night, and leave in the morning. They are not the only ruined merchants in Creation.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
            An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
              Do we want closer ties to the southerners?
              (That's for you to decide.)
              Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
              If so, how much is the debt they were discussing? Is there enough silver to start them over, for a share of the business?
              Let's see... the debt probably covers a couple dozen hirelings, a yeddim, several pack animals, plus the value of all the goods they were carrying. Assuming they'll pay man-price for the dead... that's a lot. Maybe more than you have in just coin. But you do have more than just coin...

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                (That's for you to decide.)
                Despite being the red voice in another thread, peace and ties with neighbors is the path we/Youngest Joy chose when giving up being Nergui.

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                Let's see... the debt probably covers a couple dozen hirelings, a yeddim, several pack animals, plus the value of all the goods they were carrying. Assuming they'll pay man-price for the dead... that's a lot. Maybe more than you have in just coin. But you do have more than just coin...
                Yes, there is the giant unknown pearl. This being Exalted, it could be a Pearl of Great Power! So what, we buried the Stone.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to show the traders the pearl and describe it's arrival, leaving out the name Nergui. This is Exalted, there may be an obscure prophecy.
                EDIT: No, there should be.
                Last edited by L'het'esh; 02-20-2016, 01:46 PM.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98

Comment

• We may want to ask Silver Sky's opinion about that pearl and the water-spirit before giving it away. It may turn out to anger that spirit to give away the pearl.

Do we want closer ties to southerners? We don't want them bringing an army here to kill everyone, but we also don't especially need close ties.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                  Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

• (There seems to be some uncertainty on this one. I'll leave it for a few more days - meanwhile, I encourage you to talk it out.)

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• I'm going to stay they are welcome to stay or go, if they please. But if they stay, you are the chief of this village and they should recognize your authority.

I write things.

Comment

• I'll stick with earlier post, show the pearl to the traders (prior to sending them on their way).

Comment

• * 1 vote for "Ask if they have skills, if not help them leave.
                          * 1 vote for "Do not help, let them stay or go."
                          * 1 vote for "Show them the pearl."

Any other input?

Comment

• To make things easier, I'll go with "Ask if they have skills, if not help them leave." instead of "Do not help, let them stay or go."

((Sorry, John Steinbeck has made me wary of showing off rare pearls. ))

I write things.

Comment

• I agree with "Ask if they have skills, if not help them leave." But I also like showing them the pearl. We wanna know what this crap is!

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                              I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• You stuff the severed head back into its sack and set it down, buying yourself a few seconds to think. "Do you have any skills?" you ask, thinking aloud.

Ling frowns. "Skills?"

"Do either of you know any crafts, or special talents?"

"For a trade?" answers Kun, still looking into the fire. "I was a farrier, once. But I barely remember the last time I cast a hipposandal. Business and bureaucracy are my trades, these days."

"I can weave, but I was never more than serviceable at it," Ling joins in, looking at Kun. "Arithmetic pays better... until now," She sighs.

You feel like sighing along with her. "Maybe there's something else you can do for me. Wait here."

"Where else would we go?" asks Ling, dully.

You begin the walk back to your house. As you go, you are peripherally aware of Red Songbird coming over to the fire, taking the sack with Grim Hammer's head, and leaving in another direction.

An old man in in drab, mud-colored robes sits cross-legged outside your door. Silver Sky stays perfectly still, eyes shut, walking stick across his lap, until you are within a few steps of him. Then he rises with surprising speed, smoothly, almost unfolding into a standing position. His eyes meet yours, but he says nothing.

"[You have returned, shaman,]" you say, stating the obvious. "[Have you news?]"

"[Great chief, I have communed with the spirits, and they have told me of a doom upon all the Sunblessed.]" Silver Sky's face is grave. "[Know you the nature of death, and the wheel?]"

You raise an eyebrow at him, "[Yes?]"

Silver Sky waves a hand impatiently. "[Then recite your lesson, child.]"

"[When we die, we are sent before the gods to be judged,]" you recall, paraphrasing stories you were first told many decades ago. "[They assess our worth, and we are born into new bodies in accordance with their judgment. The worthiest may become spirits or gods themselves. The worst become vermin. What does this matter, now?]"

"[The gods record the fates of all our souls,]" answers Silver Sky, still stormy. "[All souls, save which that they did not create. Know you of what I speak now?]"

You stare at him blankly until the answer comes to you in a sudden shock. "[You speak of my children.]"

He nods. "[Yes. Your children who were made, not born, do not bear souls of this world. The gods will know them not, nor judge them. Their fate, then, is to be forgotten by all. When they die, if they are fortunate, their ghosts will linger on the earth forever. If not, they will crumble away to nothing.]"

You say nothing, choosing instead to pause for breath.1

Silver Sky continues when it seems you have no answer. "[Fear not - this doom may yet be avoided. You must go before the gods and plead on behalf of the Sunblessed.]"

"...[How?]" you finally ask, trying to break through your own confusion.

"[The gods who govern death dwell not on earth, but in their own sacred and secret domain. The spirits have told me that there are many gates across the world that open into the hidden realm of the gods. One lies in the great southern city called 'Nexus'. Thus you may enter their domain and speak with them face to face.]"

"[I know not the gods' tongue!]" you exclaim, latching onto a familiar problem.

"[If you would learn, then I shall teach you,]" answers Silver Sky, unfazed.

"[I...]" you hesitate, still not sure what to make of this news. In the end you can only defer the issue, refocusing on a more immediate and obvious problem. "[...We will speak of this later. Now I have another matter to attend to. Step aside.]"

Silver Sky tilts his head, clucks his tongue, and moves out of your way. You can feel his eyes on you as you step inside your house and rummage through your belongings for the pearl.

"[There will always be another matter to attend to, great chief,]" the shaman calls through the door. "[Another trouble, another problem, another task that demands your time...]" Silver Sky's gentle tone belies a sense of disappointment. You put these things out of your mind as you uncover the great chunk of nacre.

He continues on as you put the pearl under your arm and make your way out the door. "[Consider your son, Stone Will,]" he says, then stops abruptly. "[That is... the second-largest 'dream-pearl' I have ever seen.]"

You halt in your steps and turn to face him. "[You know of these?]"

Silver Sky bends down to peer at the stone, tugging on his beard. "[They are precious stones, found in the gullets of great sea-creatures in the farthest southern sea,]" he replies. "[How came you by it?]"

"[It was given to me today by an enormous 'eel' that came from one of our wells. The creature... called me by name, and spoke to me in the gods' tongue.]"

"[That 'eel' was surely some manner of spirit. Did the spirit speak any name you knew, other than your own?]"

You try to think back to that morning - it feels like a long time ago - and try to recall exactly what the eel said. This is easier said than done, since most of what you can recall is gibberish.

When you do not immediately answer, Silver Sky shrugs. "[Whoever sent meant it as a reward, or perhaps tribute - a sign of a god's favor. Such things rarely have power of their own, but bearing them may give you status in certain courts.]"

You look away from the shaman and consider your choices.
                                • Give the merchants the pearl. It's valuable - it has to be. Valuable enough, in fact, that you could have them in your debt for life.
                                • Keep the pearl for yourself. A god who owes you a favor is beyond price. You should hold onto this rock, at least until you have a chance to cash that favor in.
                                • Something else?
                                The afterlife is something you had not seriously considered in a long time. Really, you had taken it for granted - if you ever died, then you would walk the same path as everyone else. You would not just end. And you just assumed that was true for your children.

(Open player challenge! Can you guess who sent the dream-pearl?)

Comment

Working...
                                X