Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "How much money have we got?" you ask.

    "Not enough," answers Stock with a snort.

    Nuo fixes Stock with a glare. "What do you have in mind, Otgonbayar?" she asks without turning around.

    "I think we can pay some people to start some trouble, draw the guards off. Grab whatever we can while they're busy."

    Riche frowns and shakes his head. "Dat's no good," he says in a high, nasal voice. "Dey're pros. You'll never get dem all ta leave unless dey's ordered ta leave."

    You bend down, easily lift Cleaver from the floor, and rest it on one shoulder. "I can handle anyone who stays," you reply defensively.

    Stocke looks unimpressed. "If ye're so 'ard, why don'tcha just kill them?"

    "No, this way is better. More flexible," Nuo cuts in. "We avoid more bloodshed and don't have to do anything complicated - like stealing a mercenary captain's signet ring." Riche's expression sours further.

    Stocke lets out an aggrieved sigh. "Ah 'spose I should get the boat, then."

    Nuo nods and stands up. "Do that. I'll see if I can't find some rabble to rouse. Riche, you come with me."

    You give the door a sidelong glance. "What about me?"

    Nuo turns to you and tilts her hat down. "You stay here. We don't want anyone to see you. That could be... inconvenient. We'll all meet back here tonight for a status report."

    A host of objections rises in your mind - you are hungry, you will be bored, there is nowhere to defecate in here - but somehow you figure Nuo will not listen. So instead you grit your teeth, nod, and watch as Nuo and her cohort walks out and shuts the door behind them.

    You run a hand over your braids and wordlessly grumble to yourself. Then you set down Cleaver and pick through your satchel. It looks like Nuo or someone crammed all your smaller weapons into the bag, along with your shirt. You pull out the garment and pull it on, wondering what to do next.
    • Wait. You're not a child - you have enough self-discipline not to wander off when you've been told to stay put. Just need to find a way to pass the time.
    • Leave. You're not a child, and Nuo is not your mother. You can walk unnoticed through the streets if you're careful, and there's a lot you could do out there.
    • Something else?
    Last edited by semicasual; 04-28-2016, 06:24 PM.


    On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

    Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

    Comment


    • Wait. It's frustrating and boring, but Nuo isn't exactly wrong. There's no point in putting the plan at risk by being sloppy.


      Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

      Comment


      • Wait, I say take a nap

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jairain View Post
          Wait, I say take a nap
          Yes. Let's rest from our surgery.


          I write things.

          Comment


          • Wait It is Nuo's show, and she is familiar with Nexus. Once she is obliged to help find the gate to the Dead Gods, the shoe will be on the other foot. Or her throat, if she makes it necessary. Probably not, Nuo provided the medic so she will probably come through.

            Something else
            1. Pray? To whom?
            2. Think. Think over options, or what to say to the Dead Gods? Eh.
            3. A little light exercise after checking the bandages, lets see just how the healing is going. No point in meeting the Dead Gods by being dead....


            Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
            An Exalt is never unarmed.

            Comment


            • Despite your misgivings you wait, and wait, and wait, for three days.

              It is not a comfortable wait by any measure. Nuo brings you a bucket on the first night. Twice a day thereafter, she visits with food, water, and a report on how things are coming together. You give bitter thanks for her reassurances, unable to shake the feeling that you have been made a prisoner. Despite how your own choices brought you here, you want to blame someone for the sorry situation you are in now.

              Sometimes you wonder if this was the right path to take. In hindsight, the causes and effects that drove you this way seem almost arbitrary. You wonder if you could have done better by choosing differently, but every decision you recall made sense at the time you made it… you think.1 In some ways, it feels like you did not really have a choice at all. Unless you consciously chose to do something you thought was stupid or wrong, there was only ever one option you could take. This kind of navel-gazing kills some of the hours between dawn and dusk.

              You spend the remaining time resting or, once you feel like you can move without tearing something, exercising. Drilling in the dark makes for an interesting workout. Without tapping into your Blessing for improved vision, you feel even more aware of the way empty spaces hang between the ceiling and floor, walls and stacked goods in the storage room. You teach yourself a trick for learning the layout of a space with nothing more than a moment of focus and hearing the changes in the silence. Once you have it memorized, you can practically dance blindfolded around the bags and crates, never touching a thing you do not mean to touch.

              Finally, on the night of the last day, Nuo comes back again. The door whacks into a stack of boxes and you hear her cursing. “What the… Otgonbayar, would you stop moving things around? I understand that you’re bored, but really, why?”

              “It’s no good to learn the room if the room is always the same,” you call back. You are sitting cross-legged on the floor in the center, sniffing the air. “Nothing to eat tonight?”

              Nuo grunts and pushes the boxes out of her way as the door comes fully open. “Ugh… Sorry, but no. It’s time to go. We’ve got an appointment with a barge and a lot hungry people. Are you ready?”

              You stand up, roll your shoulders and neck. “Ready to get out, sure.”

              1
              Even when what you did obviously made things worse for you somehow, it seemed like a good idea at the time. That’s the problem with looking back.



              In some ways, it seems like the nights are darker in Nexus. The deep shadows cast by buildings and walls darken the streets well before the sun is fully set, and the rising moon only does so much. Nuo leads you through a series of shadowed alleyways, staying clear of the main roads. Other than the odd sleeping beggar, you encounter almost no people. You avoid district checkpoints entirely by climbing walls and crossing over rooftops between districts.

              “Where are the other two?” you ask, after traveling some time alone together.

              Nuo glances up at the sky. “By now, they should have moored the barge, and they’ll be getting the cart up. We should hurry.”

              The smells of saltwater, ash, and fish gets stronger as you head further east. You enter a district of workshops, factories, low-rent housing, and storage. Nighthammer turns out to be aptly named, as the sound of clanging from the forges soon gets to be the loudest and most persistent noise in the area. In some places, you think a murder would go completely unheard in all the racket.

              Soon, Nuo brings you to a street corner and holds up a hand for a halt. “That’s it,” she says, pointing to a wide, low, one-and-a-half story building down the way. It resembles nothing so much as an enormous barn – a great wooden box with a slightly pointed roof, with huge wooden doors on the front you could probably drive two carts through, side by side. The doors are open, and a pair of men in polished bronze armor stand at attention on either side of them.

              “There’s another set of doors in the back, but they’re shut. Likely chained or barred from the inside,” says Nuo, almost in a whisper. “Riche and Stocke will be waiting there. You’ll need to deal with whoever is inside, open those doors to let them in, and then load up the cart. They’ll take everything to our boat down that way,” she gestures at a road turning to the southeast. “In a perfect world, we could make as many trips as we wanted to load up, but the most important thing is that none of us be seen.” Nuo gives you a grim smile. “Well, I suppose it doesn’t matter as much if they see you, but I have a reputation to uphold.”

              “So what are you doing?” you ask, sizing up the guards and checking the distance from the street to the roof.

              “I’m going to pass out bribes. Wait until you see a fight break out, and I’ll see you at the dock.” Nuo tips her hat down and walks down the street, hanging to the side opposite the guards – just another worker on some late errand.

              The moon climbs a little higher - a waning crescent, light muddled by clouds of chimney smoke. A large group of men – sailors and laborers, by the look of them – starts coming down the far end of the street. The rabble rambles along, loudly cursing about work, their bosses and thorns2. As they come closer to the warehouse, you can see the waiting guards tense up. Then someone in the mob shouts something about shit and throws a bottle. It is a long throw with a high arc, but true – the guard it was aimed at has just enough time to intercept the projectile with his shield. When ceramic shatters on bronze, something seems to break in everyone there.

              The mob immediately becomes louder, more aggressive. They do not move any closer, but there’s a lot of waving of fists or impromptu clubs. The guard who had a bottle thrown at him holds up his shield and barks and order at his partner. The other guard runs inside, and moments later four more follow her out. All six get into a line formation across the street and begin to advance slowly on the rioters.

              It is time to move.
              • Run in the front. Dash inside while they’re looking the other way, stealthily take out anyone who might still be watching the door. If you’re lucky, you might be able to shut and bar the door behind the guards outside, delaying them if they try to come back in.
              • Sprint to the back. With Cleaver, it’ll be the work of moments to get through what bars, chains, or locks are holding it shut. You can then work your way through the warehouse from the back without keeping Nuo’s people waiting.
              • Come in through the roof. No one ever expects you to come through the roof.
              • Something else?
              2
              You’re sure you didn’t mishear, because they say that word a lot - “thorns.” You’ve hardly seen any plants in Nexus, so you’d guess thorns is a name for something else.




              On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

              Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

              Comment


              • Originally posted by semicasual View Post

                Sometimes you wonder if this was the right path to take. In hindsight, the causes and effects that drove you this way seem almost arbitrary. You wonder if you could have done better by choosing differently, but every decision you recall made sense at the time you made it… you think.1 In some ways, it feels like you did not really have a choice at all. Unless you consciously chose to do something you thought was stupid or wrong, there was only ever one option you could take. This kind of navel-gazing kills some of the hours between dawn and dusk.
                What? What are you talking about? Our choices are awesome! :P


                Come in though the roof. No one ever looks up until it is too late.


                I write things.

                Comment


                • Dash in the front. Cutting the roof or going around back would take up too much time.


                  Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                  An Exalt is never unarmed.

                  Comment


                  • Come in through the roof. It's true, nobody ever looks up.


                    Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

                    Comment


                    • (Any other votes? I sometimes wonder if you all have the habit of checking this thread for updates, or if you only notice it if it's near the top of the forums thread list.)


                      On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                      Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                      Comment


                      • As a subscriber, I get a little number telling me when I have messages, like the messages that say somebody has posted on a subscription. Or quoted or liked a post of mine.


                        Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                        An Exalt is never unarmed.

                        Comment


                        • I had both forgotten to subscribe to it, and haven't been on the forum for a couple days.

                          Let's do the roof. Element of surprise, and if we can pull it off, it'll look awesome.

                          Comment


                          • You bolt across the street. The riot in progress falls out of sight as you come around the side of the warehouse, hugging the worn wooden wall. A quick scan of the area reveals no one. Satisfied that there will be no witnesses, you step away from the wall and leap. Your boots come down on the roof, falling into a crouch. You quietly pad over painted wooden boards towards the peak of the warehouse, careful to keep out of sight from the people below.

                            Getting inside is not difficult. First, you draw out Reaching Fist and drive the sickle-end into a section of roof with solid thunk. The weighted end fastens on your belt. Next. you carefully draw Cleaver and make a series of quick, focused chops into the roof around Reaching Fist. The great sword shears through the wood like paper, making surprisingly little noise. When the cut roof-section is about to fall you grab hold of Reaching Fist's chain and haul it up, leaving a sizable hole in the warehouse ceiling.

                            Reaching Fist is freed from the wooden chunk, which you then set aside. Cleaver slides back into its sheath. You look over the edge into the large room below.

                            Scores, maybe hundreds of boxes are neatly stacked in tall rows on the floor beneath you. If every one of those boxes holds rice or some other grain, you would have enough food to feed an army for months. Flickering lights cast deep shadows between the stacks, indicating the presence of fires strategically lighting the warehouse.

                            A shadow cast on a floor precedes a tall man in the same uniform as the other guards'. He walks underneath the hole in the ceiling and pauses. He looks up, squints, and opens his mouth to call or say something an instant before you crash down on top of him. His body crumples under yours and slams into the floor. Before he can move again, you swing Reaching Fist around and down. The weight hits the side of his head with an audible clang, leaving a slight dent in his helmet. The guard's eyes flutter and close.

                            That's one. Now what?
                            • Douse all the lights. You'll have the advantage fighting in the dark.
                            • Go for the door. Locking the others outside should come first.
                            • Hide, ambush, and repeat. Use the shadows to your advantage and take out the remaining guards one at a time.
                            • Forget maneuvers, just get them. You've got surprise on your side. Pair that with speed and viciousness and this fight is yours.
                            • Something else?


                            On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                            Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                            Comment


                            • Douse the lights. Even if the others come back in from the Riot, we will still have the advantage.... at least until our blessing* starts to show.

                              *Don't Nights have some weird stealth effect with their anima? I don't remember.
                              Last edited by wonderandawe; 05-03-2016, 06:10 PM.


                              I write things.

                              Comment


                              • Douse the lights. Let's keep in mind that we're short of time too, however. If it starts taking too long, go for the door to lock the others out and then take the remaining guards out quickly. We still have crates to move tonight, and that riot won't last forever.

                                Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                                *Don't Nights have some weird stealth effect with their anima? I don't remember.
                                We can suppress our blessing, but it's draining to do so (costs us extra motes to prevent anima display). If it flares up it will conceal our identity, but not our presence. Discretion is still our best tool here.


                                Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X