Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Douse the lights, all that waiting was good for the spidey senses

    Comment


    • Wasn't the job to get as much out as possible? Without being identified?
      Something else: Go for the door Nuo wants to use, whacking guards one the way.


      Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
      An Exalt is never unarmed.

      Comment


      • You hop off of the man you just battered into unconsciousness and make a quick scan of the room, looking for light sources. The flickering you saw from above comes from several clay lanterns, strategically placed around the warehouse to illuminate major corridors and open areas. They hang off walls or sit atop high stacks of boxes, but none of them are out of your reach.

        You wrap Reaching Fist around your left arm and reach for a throwing knife with your right. You squint, pull pack, and throw the knife with as much force as you can muster. The knife spins end over end, smashes through fine ceramic, strikes the tiny flame inside and snuffs the light. Your section of the warehouse falls into deeper shadows.

        Voices start calling out alarm and confusion elsewhere in the building. You step away from the body in the dark, pushing between stacks of dry goods. You go where the voices are not, and as you go you look for any clear shot at another lantern. When you have an angle, you make your throw, and one after another the lights go out. Seconds that feel like minutes pass until the only illumination left comes from the dim, diffused moonlight from the hole in the roof and the open doors out front.

        You hear the voices expressing frustration. Someone, somewhere, smacks into a stack and nearly knocks it over. Curses, grunts, footsteps, clanking metal, the crunch of pottery underfoot, and your own breathing make a web of echoes over the entire warehouse. You concentrate, and the placement of everything becomes clear. You can walk, run, or jump as you please among the mountains of crates with hardly a sound. Everyone else stumbles and staggers around, making their positions clear as if they were shouting every step of the way – which some of them are.

        Now the remaining guards are easy pickings. One takes a blow to the back of the head from Reaching Fist’s flying weight. Another you snatch as he walks by your hiding place and choke him into silence. The last two make for the door, keeping their hands on the wall and talking to each other to keep calm. You come at them from the side and body-check one into the other. While they are reeling, you step back and give Reaching Fist a quick wind up. The one in front pulls herself up first, only to be floored when the Fist hits her forehead. Her partner catches her as she falls, then struggles to recover during the precious time she has while you jerk back the chain and wind up again. The guard hesitates, making tiny movements suggesting they might drop their burden or use her as a shield but ultimately doing nothing until it is too late. They too take a Fist to the face and fall. When both are on the floor, you lay into them with your normal, gloved fists to make sure they stay there.

        You take a moment to breathe and check your surroundings again. The warehouse is and quiet and still, except for you. You give a little smile1 as you make your way towards the back. Just like Nuo said, there is another set of doors here, just as in front, but these have a large, heavy wooden timber locking them closed. You set your hands underneath the timber and give a little grunt as you lift. The wood creaks as it rises and comes free of the clasps holding it to the door. You drop the timber to one side, exhale, and give the double doors a good push. They swing open with little resistance.

        “Well ‘ang me. ‘e did it,” says Stock, over the groaning of the doors. The big man is standing next to a wide wooden wagon that has no horses hitched to it, watching the doors with his arms crossed. Riche is standing with a lantern in front of the wagon, facing away from you. He nervously looks down the street ahead of him. This side of the warehouse is quiet, compared to the clamor from the front.

        “Izzit safe?” asks Riche, calling back over his shoulder.

        “I got everyone inside,” you answer. “It’s safe enough.”

        Stocke gives a grunt. “Let’s go then. ‘aven’t got all night.” He starts walking past you into the warehouse and pauses, peering into the dark. “Can’t ‘ardly see. Where’s all the lights?”

        You shrug. “I put them out. What of it?”

        “What, are we loading in the dark then?”

        Riche walks around the wagon and comes to Stocke’s side. “You fought all dem in de dark?”

        “Yeah,” you answer, annoyed. “We don’t have time for this. Come on!”

        Stocke hesitates, then appears to come to a decision. “Alright. We’ll start ‘ere at the back, and work our way in. Riche, bring the lamp.”

        You step aside to let the two of them get to work, but you are not content to just wait for them to finish.
        • Help them load. You can see better than they can and probably lift more. This will go faster if you move boxes too.
        • Go watch the front. You can’t tell how the riot is going from here or how long it will be before the rest of the guards get back… if they get back…
        • Clean up. Move the unconscious bodies into one place where you can keep an eye on them, find your knives, and keep the area tidy so the others can work. Maybe relight part of the warehouse if any of the lamps are intact enough.
        • Something else?
        1
        It’s been a while since you dominated in a fight. Feels good.



        On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

        Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

        Comment


        • Help them load. Speed is more important than anything else at this point. Faster loaded, faster away.

          EDIT: Let's bar the front door first, though. That shouldn't take long and will give us time if someone comes back before we're away.
          Last edited by Ferryman; 05-09-2016, 01:32 AM.


          Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

          Comment


          • Clean up. They will load faster with lights.


            I write things.

            Comment


            • Help Load. There should be plenty of warning in the form of voices, noises, and lights moving when the front guards step in.


              Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
              An Exalt is never unarmed.

              Comment


              • Bar door and help load.

                Comment


                • You leave Riche and Stock to their business without a word and make your way towards the front. Darkness encloses you as you walk down a corridor, carefully stepping around the body of the first man you attacked. Grey light and the sounds of violence spill into the warehouse from the entrance ahead of you.

                  You move to one side of the double doors and peek out at the street. Your first impression is of human waves crashing on a rock. The mercenary guards have formed a tight group in the middle of a sea of people, facing outwards against the tide of the mob. They rabble alternates between aggressively pushing in, brandishing makeshift clubs, and falling back from the guards' weapons. There are bodies on the ground and people limping away, but the mob seems to be about the same size as before.

                  If anyone is looking your way, they are too preoccupied to act. You bolt outside to pull one door shut, then the other. Another beam to hold them closed is leaning against the inside wall. Moments later, the world outdoors is walled off. You wait for a moment to see if anyone will start pounding on them, then walk back.

                  The others are making short work of one pile of crates, practically running to load them onto their wagon. You join in moving the heavy boxes from one stack to another.

                  Riche puts down his latest load with a sigh. "Hey Stock. How much can de barge take?"

                  Stock grunts as he sets down his own load and starts walking back for another. "About fourteen 'undred stone, I 'spose."

                  "And how much fits on de cart?"

                  "Two 'undred? Maybe three?"

                  "Shit. We be at dis all night."

                  "Then move faster!" You snarl at them as you race past and place a crate on the wagon. It looks nearly full...

                  You suddenly realize that things have gotten a little quieter. You can no longer make out the sounds of yelling and fighting around the ambient noise of hammering and other nighttime activity. Then, somewhere, there is a noise like someone beating on wood with a metal rod.

                  "That's it, this load's done," says Stock, having put one last crate in place. "Let's get it down the 'ill."

                  Riche sighs and moves to join him at the front of the wagon.
                  • Go with the cart. Wait, are they really planning to pull the wagon themselves? Better go along and help.
                  • Dash around to the front. If the guards are trying to get back in, there's no time to waste. They can't be allowed to call for reinforcements.
                  • Keep watch in the back. The mercs might try to come around to this side. You should be ready to ambush them if that happens.
                  • Something else?



                  On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                  Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                  Comment


                  • Keep watch in the back. Stay with the cargo.


                    I write things.

                    Comment


                    • Go with the cart. The goal was to get as much as possible without being seen. If somebody is trying to enter from the front, the distraction is over, the raid is over, and all that remains is to get away. One wagon load may be more than Nuo expected.


                      Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                      An Exalt is never unarmed.

                      Comment


                      • Bug out...

                        Comment


                        • Go with the cart. The goal here is to get away with the goods. Getting into a brawl isn't going to help with that, it'll just bring more heat down on us. Let's keep the job clean and get out.


                          Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

                          Comment


                          • You move to the rear of the cart, thinking at first that you will need to push it. But then, once others get the cart moving, it turns out your help was not needed. The way to the water a gentle slope, and the cart moves mostly on its own. Riche and Stock work to steer the vehicle down the winding road, jogging as they go. You jog along behind them, following the cart to a little quay on a broad harbor.

                            Nuo is already there, pacing back and forth by the water's edge. She stops and watches the three of you come in with anxiety clear on her face. Riche and Stock brake the cart just beside her, in front of what you presume is your barge - a wide, flat-bottomed boat with enough space to carry the cart and everything on it several times over.

                            "Our first load. Good," says Nuo, walking around the cart. She nods. "Did you have any trouble getting it?"

                            "Nope, nobody saw us," answers Riche.

                            Nuo gives a long exhale. "Very good. Alright. We'll just unload here. You three can go back and get another load while I start filling the barge."

                            You wrinkle your brow. "Go back?" you reply, turning over the words in your head. "We can't go back."

                            "Why not?" Riche.

                            "...we just got away," you answer, slowly. "The guards out front, dealing with the riot? They were coming back just as we left. By now they might've found the bodies. Then they'd call for reinforcements, for sure. It's too dicey to go back now."

                            As you speak, you can see the faces of the other three falling around you. Riche turns his head towards the boat, the cart, and back again while sucking his teeth. Stock digs his fingers into his forehead. Nuo's fists clench and her expression turns livid.

                            Stocke speaks up first. "Wasn't fighting the guards your job?"

                            "Yes!" spits Nuo, before you can answer. "Godsblood, Nergüi, what part of your instructions were unclear? You had one job! Keep the guards off us, and keep them from going for help!"

                            How do you respond?
                            • "Getting away clean was more important."
                            • "I just did what you said - I cleared out the inside of the warehouse."
                            • "It's their fault." You wave at Riche and Stock. "They were slow."
                            • Something else?


                            On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                            Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                            Comment


                            • "I just did what you said - I cleared out the inside of the warehouse." and "Getting away clean was more important."

                              We aren't an amateur. There was no hope of clearing out the whole warehouse. You take what you can get and get out quick.


                              I write things.

                              Comment


                              • "No, I didn't have just one job. You said there were other concerns, like body count and making sure we got away clean. You got this cartload for free. Anything more would have meant a massacre, which you said you didn't want. Have you changed your mind?"

                                EDIT: Seriously though, two guys and a wagon to clear out an entire warehouse is amateur hour. If this is how she's planning her revolution, it's going to meet a grisly end before it even gets off the ground.
                                Last edited by Ferryman; 05-16-2016, 07:35 PM.


                                Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X