No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Sky didn't teach us how to read, did he? Just speak the god's tongue?

I write things.

Comment

• Interact with the Glyphs because even if we guess wrong, we'd probably have more fun sputching a guardian than trying to puzzle it all out. And less odds of actually wrecking the place.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
        Silver Sky didn't teach us how to read, did he? Just speak the god's tongue?
        No, but it doesn't really matter. If you have to read, you can use the mask. That won't help now, though - these sigils aren't written in gods' tongue.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Boldly push through. Haven't got all year.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
          An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• I guess try to interact w the glyphs. A mistake is probably the same as pressing forward so 2 choices for the price of 1!!

Comment

• Let's interact with the Glyphs. Nothing can go wrong! :P

I write things.

Comment

• You take a step forward and reach out for one of the sigils. When your hand is very close to one of the signs, it glows a little brighter and grows a little larger. You cannot feel that you have touched anything, but you find that when you move your hand, so does the sign. You experimentally drag the sign out of the dancer formation it began in to the edge of the wall. The sign stays there until you pull your hand back, at which point the sign drifts back to its original position.

On close inspection, the clusters of signs look like they form combinations. For example, all of the "passage" signs are in one group with a few "forbiddance" signs. The "warning" and "guardian" signs are always paired together. There are some "allowance" signs that drift apart from the others, not part of any group. That is as much as you can make out from the symbols you recognize.

You reach out with both hands, "grabbing" a forbiddance-sigil with one hand and warning-sigil with the other. Then you pull them together. Both signs turn an ugly purple color. When you let go, they fly away from each other and zip back into formation. Next you try pairing a forbiddance-sigil with a guardian-sigil. This time the signs turn green, and slowly spin around each other.

"Have you figured it out?'" asks Nuo, looking around your shoulder.
                • "...Maybe." (Open Player Challenge! What is the solution to this puzzle?)
                • "I think we can break it." You figure that destroying the wall is easier than bypassing it.
                • "Fuck it." You'll walk through and face whatever comes.
                • Something else?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Allowance and passage?

I write things.

Comment

• That sounds good, let's try that.

Comment

• Sounds good

Comment

• Agreed with above

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• EDIT:
                          ...all of the "passage" signs are in one group with a few "forbiddance" signs. The "warning" and "guardian" signs are always paired together. There are some "allowance" signs that drift apart from the others, not part of any group...
                          Didn't Nuo mention keys? There should be one allowance sigil per set of guardian warding and passage forbiddance glyphs. Drag one allowance over to each of the sets to unlock the barrier.

But Nuo is going to have to search the archives for information on the Gods of the Dead. She owes a lot and should start paying sometime soon.
                          Last edited by L'het'esh; 05-30-2016, 03:27 PM.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98

Comment

• "...Maybe," you answer, half to yourself. You pull a passage-sigil out of its cluster and pair it with a free-floating allowance-sigil. These, too, turn green and start to spin around each other. You repeat the process with another pair, then a third. As the forbiddance-passage cluster gets picked apart, an allowance-cluster forms in its place. The cluster grows with each set of signs you add, until it becomes the dominant feature on the wall. Finally, just as you use the last allowance-sigil, the wall turns to a translucent emerald green.

"...Huh," says Nuo, evidently at a loss for words. "Can we walk through it now?"

You take a breath, put a hand on Fire at your waist, and step through the wall. You feel a tingling on your skin, but no resistance. The chamber on the other side of the wall smells strongly of old paper and ink. The cabinets and shelves you observed before are arranged in many long aisles. Very long - it appears that this archive runs under the entirety of the mansion above it.

Nuo passes through the wall behind you with a faint hissing noise and a pop. "Ugh," She shudders. "That feels strange... well, hopefully that will be the last of it."

"This place is huge," you observe, taking a few steps forward. "How can we find anything in here?"

"Just look." Nuo comes to your side and points to some markings on the shelves. "These books will be arranged by subject and date. I just need-" There is a loud pop, and suddenly a looming figure appears several steps in front of you. "-Whoah!"

The creature before you resembles a human. It is about your size, but the high hat and voluminous it wears makes it appear bigger. The hat draws your attention first - it is tall, black, rectangular, hung with black tassels and gold braid, with a wide brim that has four burning candles placed around its edges. Below that is a dark blue mask that covers the creature's face, except for the right eye. Dark blue robes enshroud the rest of it, from a neck-covering collar down to a gold-trimmed hem that drags on the floor. Paper strips covered in sigils adorn its body, hanging around its neck or stitched onto its robes. Its long, robed hands are crossed in front of it, clutching a long broom with the sleeves.

"{LET NO WORD BE LOST,}" it intones, in gods' tongue. "{LET NO WORD BE TAKEN. LET NO WORD BE DESTROYED.}" It sounds like several people chanting in unison.

Nuo draws back one leg and raises her arms in a battle-ready stance. You draw Fire and Water and hold them at your sides. The creature does not move.

Several long, tense seconds pass. "{LET NO WORD BE LOST. LET NO WORD BE TAKEN,}" the creature says again.

"Why isn't it doing anything?!" hisses Nuo. She takes a cautious step back.

The creature drifts a step forward, gliding rather than walking.It sets the end of its broom on the floor. "{LET NO WORD BE DESTROYED.}"

You try to stay focused on it while your mind races to answer questions. Is this the guardian? Is it the only one? Did you do something to call it? What do you do now?
                            • Attack first. You're sure it'll turn hostile if it hasn't already. Better to strike now, before it has any momentum.
                            • Watch and wait. Bide your time, but don't drop your guard. You should know what you're dealing with.
                            • Try to talk to it. Maybe you can learn something.
                            • Ignore it. It can only speak three phrases, appear from nowhere... and sweep, you assume. It's strange and unnerving, but not a threat.
                            • Something else?
                            Last edited by semicasual; 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Something else?
                              It's a guardian, alright, to protect the archives. As long as no damage is done or anything taken, it will do nothing.
                              Try answering it with, "NO WORD WILL BE LOST. NO WORD WILL BE TAKEN. NO WORD WILL BE DESTROYED" and it should be appeased for a time.

Comment

• Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
                                Something else?
                                It's a guardian, alright, to protect the archives. As long as no damage is done or anything taken, it will do nothing.
                                Try answering it with, "NO WORD WILL BE LOST. NO WORD WILL BE TAKEN. NO WORD WILL BE DESTROYED" and it should be appeased for a time.
                                This sounds good actually.

Comment

Working...
                                X