Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Something else?
    Watch a bit and see what the masked creature does. Why did it guide to a map? What is it doing now? They may be related, and may affect the Quest.
    Otherwise, stay out of the god-feud. Mind own business. Stay on target.


    Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
    An Exalt is never unarmed.

    Comment


    • I suspect that the masked creature barely survived the fall or is dying. Else it wouldn't need aid.

      That said I suppose... we should probably run to aid the black-clad one. I mean we started pulling this little thread, might as well unravel the whole tapestry, right?


      I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

      Comment


      • Let's help the black clad creature.


        I write things.

        Comment


        • You take a few steps back and leap over the hedgerow. Unconcerned with stealth, you land with a audible clatter before you sprint across the courtyard.
          The servants, as well as the clerk in blue and the red-skinned giant, take note of you. Many people call out in alarm or bewilderment as you rush past. Most of these you ignore, except for a lone boy in your path carrying a bucket in both hands. You tear the vessel from his grasp before you close the distance to the black-clad one.

          You tip the bucket and pour water over the body, quickly dousing the flames. Steam rises from the heap as you kneel down to check for injuries. A quick glance tells you little - the fire has done no obvious damage to the creature's exterior, but you're not sure what burn marks on this kind of being would look like. Their mask is not discolored, and their limbs are all pointed at regular angles.

          You lay hands on the creature's side, meaning to turn him over, and suddenly you feel an icy shock run through you.




          Your vision blurs, then abruptly clears. You are standing in the middle of a wide stone chamber with walls and ceiling concealed by shadow. A bright light from above illuminates you , the floor on which you stand, and a high table at which three large, shadowy figures are seated.

          "[Your journey was for nothing, Youngest Joy,]" says the one in the middle.

          "[We reject your plea! We care not for your children's souls. Let them rot!]" screams the one on the left.

          "[Abominations born of stolen power? We should kill you for your impudence,]" growls the one on the left, sounding more like a beast than any human.

          Your vision blurs, then clears again. You are back in the Sunblessed village, beneath a steely gray sky. It is oddly quiet for this time of day. You call out, but no one answers. You walk from house to house, but find no one. Finally, you come to the great house you build for the Wanderers' women and children, and there you find them - all of them - sprawled about on the floor in the early stages of decay. It seems a plague killed them - dark, oozing purple growths sprout from their skins, and the stench of rotting flesh mingles with the smells of human waste and vomit.

          For a third time, your vision blurs and clears. You are on the plain of Cold Springs again - as it was before you reshaped it, as it is in your nightmares. The bodies of your family and your old clan are intermingled with every one of your Sunblessed children, and several others. Of Iron's head, and only his head, lies on the ground next to Nuo. Nuo, in her divine form, is pinned to the ground with a spear through each limb and her stomach. Silver Sky is face down in the mud nearby, arms and legs broken. All you can do is stare.




          You feel a hand, which had been grasping your forearm, release its grip. Your vision blurs and clears one final time, and you are once again kneeling in front of a burning palace. Your breathing comes fast and heavy. Although you sense the heat of the flames, you feel very cold.

          The black-clad creature is rising their feet, seeming none the worse for wear. They look down at you with a predictably unreadable expression.

          You shake your head, take a breath, try to regain control of your thoughts.

          "{Villain! Fiend!}" comes a roar from behind you. You quickly rise to your feet and turn around to find the crimson giant looming above you. He points a large, accusing finger at you. "{Thou art the one who set my manor ablaze! I will have thy head, and set a thousand curses upon thy descendants!}"

          "{Hold, Ozdis! Lest thy actions bring thee further grief!}" The woman in blue walks around the red god's side. Her voice is still much quieter than his, but carries surprisingly well.

          "{I shall not hold! Look upon him!}" Ozdis turns his head to her while he gestures at you. "{A filthy vagrant, reeking of wine! And see, a Doom walks with him! If not he, then I challenge that thou showest me one more worthy of punishment!}"

          The woman deliberately steps in between you and Ozdis. She rests a hand on her lips and looks over your shoulder at the black-clad creature behind them. "{I have sworn an oath to make no assumptions,}" she declares, "{but thy presence here demands explanation. I see you are no native to Heaven - who art thou? And how hast thou come here tonight?}"

          • "{I am called Otgonbayar...}
          • "{I am called Nergui...}
          • "{I am called... Bai...}
          • *Refuse to answer*
          • Something else?
          AND

          • {...and I have come to visit the court of the gods of death.}" A true answer that doesn't directly address her question.
          • {...and I was lost in Caasi Noid's parade for a time. I have no memory of how I came here.}" As bad as it looks, she might be more sympathetic if you come clean.
          • {...and I was but passing by when I saw this... spirit... aflame and stopped to give aid.}" You'll deny any involvement.
          • *Flee the scene.* This was mistake. You need to escape, now.
          • Something else?



          On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

          Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

          Comment


          • I am called Otgonbayar...and I was lost in Caasi Noid's parade for a time.
            I have no memory of how I came here.
            I saw this... spirit... aflame and stopped to give aid.

            Say, did you call it a Doom? What do you mean by that?



            Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
            An Exalt is never unarmed.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
              I am called Otgonbayar...and I was lost in Caasi Noid's parade for a time.
              I have no memory of how I came here.
              I saw this... spirit... aflame and stopped to give aid.

              Say, did you call it a Doom? What do you mean by that?

              Let's go with this.


              I write things.

              Comment


              • You cross your arms and stare the woman down. "{I am called Otgonbayar...}"

                "{A most strange name. And what manner of accent is that?}" mutters Ozdis.

                You ignore him and continue, trying to moderate your tone. "{...and I was lost in Caasi Noid's parade for a time. I have no memory of how I came here.}"

                "{Hah! See, he cannot even devise some excuse for himself!}" proclaims the red-skinned god. "{Doubtless he torched my manor in a drunken stupor, and feigns being feebleminded to escape justice!}"

                "{Perhaps, but I make no assumptions,}" she answers without breaking from your gaze. "{It is known the god of revels' rain has a powerful effect on mortals...}" She squints at you and gives a little sniff. "{...mortals with a strong urge to drink, whose past is winestained, before all others.}" Despite yourself, you wince.

                The woman looks away from you, shuffles her papers, and begins scratching on one of them with her stylus.

                "{Who art thou, and why dost thou question me?}" you demand, trying to reassert some control over the discussion.

                "{My name is Silk Butterfly. I serve the Lute}," she answers without looking up. "{Mine is the duty of chronicling the excesses of Caasi Noid. The burning of Ozdis' home may be among these. By your own admission, you were part of Caasi Noid's train, and thus your guilt or innocence in this act must be proven.}" She stops writing for a moment and looks back to you, tapping on her sheet. "{I think thy conduct strange, if thou art an arsonist. Why wouldst thou run towards the fire?}"

                You shrug. "{I saw this... spirit...}" you glance over your shoulder to look at the 'Doom', and see they have not moved, nor changed their stance. "{...aflame, and I stopped to give aid.}"

                Silk Butterfly tucks a hair behind her ear. "{So we have seen. A righteous act, though perhaps a futile one. Dooms cannot die by fire, nor sword, nor any earthly force.}"

                "{What dost thou mean by 'Doom'?}" you ask, still looking at the creature.

                "{They are minor servants of the Bier, bound by their Lady to witness the endings of those who are fated for extraordinary demise-}"

                "{-like a mortal condemned by a celestial court!}" Ozdiz booms an interruption.

                Silk Butterfly's impassive manner finally shows a crack. She forcefully raises a hand and looks back at Ozdis with a disapproving glare. The god subsides and goes back to fuming.

                Silk Butterfly takes a breath, and her face relaxes. Then she continues as if she had not been interrupted. "{...extraordinary demise, or great impact upon the world. Theirs is dominion over fear and dread, and the strongest decrees of Heaven protect them.}" She glances back and forth between you and the Doom, then returns her hand to her lips. "{I think it strange, too, that thou canst see this Doom, or that we can. By custom, they remain hidden from all sight.}"

                "{Is it not obvious? The Doom is his!}" grumbles Ozdis. "{He shows himself because the end is nigh, and there is no need left to hide.}"

                "{Thy reason is flawed,}" answers Silk Butterfly, "{but thy pronouncement may be easily disproven. Dread-spirit, I command thee!}" A glowing blue mark appears on her forehead. "{In the name of the Second Maiden, answer - art thou bound to this man?}"

                There is a long pause, then the Doom nods his head. You get a sinking feeling.

                "{...That is most strange,}" says Silk Butterfly after another long pause. "{...but I fear I may ask no further questions. Thou mayest leave.}"

                "{WHAT?!}" exlaims Ozdis, outraged. "{This is a mockery of justice! You have seen that all I have said is true, and you dismiss this transgressor with no punishment?!}"

                Silk Butterfly shakes her head, frowning deeply. "{Mine is not to decide. If Otgonbayar merits Doom, then he may hath some purpose yet to fulfill.}" She sighs. "{I must consult my colleagues from the Bier. They may know what fate holds for him. Until I know, I may neither harm him nor hinder his passing.}"

                Ozdis clenches his fists. A gout of smoke and fire shoots from his nostrils. "{I shall not suffer this insult! Every bureau will hear of this failure! And you!}" He points at you. "{I will see you burn for your misdeeds!}"

                "{Ozdis! Stay yourself at once!}" commands Silk, but the burning god does not listen.

                "{Otgonbayar!}" his voice echoes through the courtyard, "{I curse thee to die in fire! May every house that shelters thee turn to ash, may thy skin ever be smeared with soot, and may thine every step glow with hot coals! So I proclaim, so shall it be done!}"

                Ozdis claps his hands, and the sound is so loud you feel your bones shake. You feel a sensation of pressure, like an immensely heavy weight was set on your shoulders. That feeling soon passes, replaced with an itch that covers your entire body. You reach up a hand to rub your nose and your gloved fingers come away blackened. Alarmed, you tear off your glove and find your hand underneath similarly covered with dark grit.

                Silk Butterfly looks back and forth between you and Ozdis. "{Thou shalt regret that, housefire god,}" she states, cold as ice. "{No court tolerates those who take the law into their own hands.}"

                Ozdis huffs and puts his hands on his hips. "{Both of you, begone! Thy presence offends me.}"

                Silk Butterfly opens her mouth and then shuts it, clenching her teeth. Then she turns on her heel and walks away, crossing the courtyard towards the streets. You glower at Ozdis before following her. The Doom trails behind you, once again mimicking your gait. After several steps, the Doom vanishes in a puff of smoke as before.

                You notice a faint hissing noise under your feet as you walk. Looking down, you see little bursts of smoke each time a boot touches the ground, although you feel no heat. Looking back, you see a trail of ashen burn marks on the stone showing exactly where you have been.

                Outside the courtyard, Silk Butterfly pauses to look up at the sky. She grimaces, then marches eastward at double her old pace without saying a word to you.

                You slide your glove back on and consider your next move. Now that you have a moment to think, you are starting to feel very hungry and somewhat tired.
                • Follow Silk Butterfly. You have more questions you need answered. (Players, feel free to submit specific questions)
                • Continue west. You have a mission to accomplish.
                • Find food and a place to sleep. The last meal you had was with Nukson. How long ago was that? Many exhausting hours, for sure.
                • Double back and force Ozdis to revoke his curse. You won't tolerate a magical blight for any amount of time.
                • Something else?
                Last edited by semicasual; 07-18-2016, 05:24 PM.


                On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                Comment


                • Follow Silk Butterfly. Ask about the curse, the Doom, and the Court of the Dead.


                  I write things.

                  Comment


                  • Well crap, this is super bad. Hmmmmm. I guess follow for answers, and if she disappears I guess force the issue with the god. We can't function with this curse and better to assault a god in heaven than bring peril to anyone who shelters us.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                      My inclination is to Investigate the burning building, even though I'm certain it's a terrible idea (or possibly even because it's a terrible idea). If the box is easy enough to open, however, it might yield something more interesting or urgent.
                      Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                      Otgonbayar!" his voice echoes through the courtyard, "I curse thee to die in fire! May every house that shelters thee turn to ash, may thy skin ever be smeared with soot, and may thine every step glow with hot coals! So I proclaim, so shall it be done!"
                      SO called it.

                      Food and sleep make sense priority-wise, but we're obviously hella cursed.
                      Forcing Ozdis to reverse the curse sounds fun, but likely to put us in poor form for our goals in Heaven.
                      So I guess I agree with wonderandawe:
                      Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                      Follow Silk Butterfly. Ask about the curse, the Doom, and the Court of the Dead.


                      I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

                      Comment


                      • " Something else?
                        Watch a bit and see what the masked creature does. Why did it guide to a map? What is it doing now? They may be related, and may affect the Quest.
                        Otherwise, stay out of the god-feud. Mind own business. Stay on target."

                        I also said skip this, but what is life without drama?

                        Enough drama for now. Continue West. Opportunity for food and rest will present themselves.


                        Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                        An Exalt is never unarmed.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
                          " Something else?
                          Watch a bit and see what the masked creature does. Why did it guide to a map? What is it doing now? They may be related, and may affect the Quest.
                          Otherwise, stay out of the god-feud. Mind own business. Stay on target."
                          It vanished again. It's either teleported somewhere else, or it's very good at hiding.



                          On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                          Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                          Comment


                          • With only a brief hesitation, you set off after Silk Butterfly. Your stride is longer than hers, so you catch up in a few moments despite the pace she is keeping.
                            "{Wait,}" you call to her.

                            She turns to look back at you with a grimace and continues walking, albeit slower. "{What dost thou wish of me?}" she asks in tone that suggests the best answer would be "Nothing."

                            "{There are many things I do not understand. I would have you tell me of them.}"

                            Silk Butterfly glances around the empty street. "{Very well - for I cannot forbid it. Tell me what you would know.}"

                            You rub at your face, scraping more soot onto your gloves. "{What of this curse? Will I bear it for life? How might it be lifted?}"

                            Silk Butterfly shakes her head. "{I have never known a god to give a curse lightly,}" she answers sourly. "{No doubt he means for thee to bear it until the end of your days. Ozdis himself could lift it with a word, but he will never do so. Another sorcerer, wise in the ways of curses, might remove it from thee for a price. For now, I fear thou must resign thyself to sleeping beneath the sky and watching thy step.}"

                            Silk Butterfly begins walking faster again, but you keep pace. "{What of the Doom that follows me? Canst thou tell me more of it?}" You look back to see if the creature has reappeared again - it has not.

                            "{I have told thee as much as I may,}" she answers without looking at you. "{Thy Doom shall witness whatever fate awaits thee. I have seen them present at the deaths of emperors, the scourging of martyrs, and the fall of great powers. Why it has revealed itself to thee, I cannot say.}"

                            "{Cannot, or wilt not?"}" you growl, frustrated.

                            "{Cannot, for I know not,}" comes her curt reply. Then she gets a pained expression and speaks more softly. "{Thou hast my grief for whatever end comes unto thee. But it is not for me to say what thine end would be or prevent it if I knew. I can but ask that thou wouldst accept and bear thy fate with grace.}"

                            "{We shall see}," you mutter. Then you continue, louder and more insistent. "{I would know of the court of the dead. I know where they might be found, but nothing of the gods themselves.}"

                            Silk Butterfly comes to an abrupt stop. You just manage to catch yourself before you outstrip her. A range of emotions - confusion, alarm, and disgust passes over her face. Finally, she says "{None go before the gods of death unless great need compels them.}" She pauses, then continues slowly, carefully picking her words. "{Why dost thou seek them? Do you wish to be immortal? For the return of a loved one?}"
                            • Tell the whole truth. "{I am Blessed by the Sun - by my power and will, I created many children who must now be recognized by the court of the dead for their souls to join the Wheel.}"
                            • Just the essentials. "{I have living kin whose fates are in question. I would have the court of the dead see to their souls.}"
                            • Lie. "{...I wish to be immortal, as all people do.}"
                            • Refuse to answer.
                            • Something else?
                            Last edited by semicasual; 07-18-2016, 05:23 PM.


                            On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                            Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                            Comment


                            • Just the essentials. We don't go around telling strangers about our blessing. I doubt we will start doing so in the Heavenly City.


                              I write things.

                              Comment


                              • Yeah, essentials.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X