Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by BadassOverlord View Post
    We managed to slip into the other god's office on the back of someone going out WHILE said god was sitting at the table. This should be a piece of cake.
    Agreed, this should be easy.

    Comment


    • Sneak out. A non violent exit seems prudent

      Comment


      • Originally posted by KFinigan View Post
        Sneak out. A non violent exit seems prudent
        Yes. Time for sneaky sneaky.


        I write things.

        Comment


        • You step to one side of the door, flatten yourself against the wall, and take in a breath. A moment later, the door opens. A figure comes through - male, shorter than you, bald. He jingles as he walks from many tiny medallions that are strung all over his body. He wears black robes that look and smell a little singed. As he comes through the doorway, he tilts his head down to make space for his headgear - a long copper rod , wrapped around his head like a circlet at one end and stretching straight up several feet.

          That is all you have the time to process before you neatly step behind him and out the door. One more quick step takes you into the hall, and one more after that draws you up against the outside wall.

          You wait, expecting that the man now in the room will continue on and shut the door behind him. But instead, you hear him turn in place and shuffle around. A piercing tenor calls out: "{Hiding is of no use, whoever thou art. Surprises are my domain, and those who mean me harm shall ever be known to me.} "

          You hold your breath. More shuffling noises come from inside the room. "{I shall find thee...}" The copper rod pokes out of the doorway like the horn of some strange beast.

          It is lucky for you that Jecaidun, if that is who this is, has that strange headgear. As he comes back out into the hall, he has to spend a few precious fractions of a second facing the floor. That is just enough for you to get behind him again.

          Jecaidun takes a few steps out into the hall, looking left and right. Then he stops and cocks his head, as if listening to something. "{Thou art swift. But surely...}" He pauses mid-sentence. He rapidly turns around. You circle around him even more rapidly, always staying behind his head. You waste no more energy on staying silent - speed and reaction time are all that matter now. He spins this way and that to try to get a glimpse of you. You keep one step ahead and out of sight.

          After several moments of tense, quiet maneuvering, Jecaidun stops again and sighs. "{I see thee not, I but I know thou art here. End this farce and show thyself, or else...}" his high voice drops and takes a more ominous tone. "{Thou shalt know the most surprising death a mortal can suffer.}"

          You ready yourself.
          • Strike from behind. He might know it's coming, but if he's not fast enough to catch you it won't matter. Grab him, throw him into his office, and shut the door behind him so you can make your escape.
          • Show yourself. Hiding can't last forever. But maybe, if you face him, you can make your deception even more complete by claiming to be Jucandie Death-by-Treachery's agent.
          • |DOOM|: *appear*
          • Something else?



          On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

          Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

          Comment


          • Strike from behind. He might know it's coming, but if he's not fast enough to catch you it won't matter.
            This is the god of surprise deaths? It might be fitting to give him one....but that would ruin the plot.



            Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
            An Exalt is never unarmed.

            Comment


            • Surprise attack. Grab him, toss him into his office and run for it.

              Comment


              • DOOM! DOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!


                Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

                Comment


                • Absolutely do not try to attack him from behind. Death by surprise is his THING, MAN. Don't hand him his best gun and then try to punch him.

                  I vote for the DOOM because hilarity. As long as our intention is to get away and not kill him from Surprise, his domain should not grant him any further advantage over us.


                  I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                  I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

                  Comment


                  • Because it is appropriate...




                    I'm voting for DOOM.


                    I write things.

                    Comment


                    • You ready yourself, but before you can do anything your Doom appears. He pops into the hallway in just front of Jecaidun, as if he had always been there.

                      Jecaidun gives a start. "{What!... Thou art... Thou canst not have come for me!}"

                      The Doom, of course, says nothing.

                      Jecaidun focuses on the Doom in silence. They stare at each other for some time. Finally, the god speaks: "{I understand.}" And with that, he turns with deliberate slowness to face the door. You continue on staying out of his line of sight, but he pays you no more mind. Instead, he quietly walks into his office and closes the door behind him.

                      You give the Doom a long look. The Doom looks back. Just when you start to feel impatient, the Doom vanishes again. You sigh, shake your head, and wander back to Jacnudei's office, wondering what that exchange was about the whole time.

                      You take the bundle of scrolls from your satchel and toss it onto the table. Jacnudei fumbles with the twine, pulls it off, and unrolls one of the scrolls. He scans the text and looks up at you. "{Thou hast brought me what I wished. Were you seen by my brothers, or any other being?}"

                      You cross your arms. "{I was nearly seen by thy brother Jecaidun. Thou couldst have warned me that he would know of my coming.}"

                      The wasting god stares at you for a long time. "{Very well. Come closer and sit.}"

                      You step up to the table and kneel down, resting on your knees. Jacnudei draws himself up so he is almost level with you. "{Listen well, for I shall tell thee this but once,}" he rasps, looking you straight in the eye. "{When our Lady is not taking her turn at the Games, or attending to her godly duties, she bides her time in a secret, sacred grove. At this moment, the grove is...}" He pauses, closes his eyes, then opens them again a moment later. "{...west four hundred paces, then north two hundred paces, east one hundred paces, south fifty paces, then finally west again, five hundred fifty-five paces.}"

                      You stare back at Jacnudei, confused. "{The path thou dost speak of... is like unto a circle,}" you reply, confused. "{Could I not simply... go west, then north to reach the grove?}"

                      "{No,}" answers Jacnudei with visible impatience. Then he coughs violently before speaking again. "{Walk the path exactly as I have described it, and thou shalt see.}"

                      You cross your arms. "{Is there more? What of when I reach the grove?}"

                      Jacnudei shrugs. "{When thou dost come unto our Lady's grove, thou shalt be granted entry and allowed to speak. What happens then is not for me to know. Now, our pact is complete. Thou mayest go.}"

                      You stand and turn partway towards the door. "{If I do not find your Mistress, I will return here,}" you growl, partly threatening.

                      The wasting god nods. "{Fear not, thou shalt find thy way.}" If he is impressed by your claim, he shows no sign of it. And so you leave feeling unsatisfied, even though it seems like your goal is within reach.


                      The sun is starting to set as you finally exit the Bier. You follow it, counting your steps as you go. At thirty steps, it quickly becomes apparent that going west in a straight line will take you off the road and over the hills. You look dubiously down at the grass ahead of you and set one foot forward. Much to your relief, it does not ignite - although the pitons do sink into the earth a bit. A moderate breeze blows against you as to carry on, wading through waves of yellowing stalks.

                      At eighty steps, a soft "whumf!" sound heralds the arrival of your Doom. You stop, startled, when the black-clad creature suddenly appears a few feet ahead of you. He stands as still as a statue for several moments, giving you an unreadable look through his mask. Then he extends one arm, one hand, and one finger to point up and behind you.

                      "{What art thou...}" you start to say, before thinking the better of it. You turn around and look up into the twilight sky. One of those flying ships is flying close by. In fact, it is traveling in your direction - descending westward. It looks like a small sailing vessel with no sails or oars. You cannot see anyone aboard it from this angle.

                      You turn back to see if the Doom has anything else to show you, but it has already gone again. You grumble and return your attention to the incoming vessel. Estimating its speed, you guess it will land very near you in a few minutes.
                      • Run. The ship might be crewed by friends of Tal, or any number of other beings you've upset since you came to Yu-Shan. Best not to engage them.
                      • Wait. See what this is about.
                      • Attack. You still have Archer's paradox, and plenty of arrows. In fact, you could make serviceable fire arrows with the supplies you have on you in short order...
                      • Something else?
                      Last edited by semicasual; 09-22-2016, 05:31 PM.


                      On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

                      Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

                      Comment


                      • Run, but keep counting our steps lest we lose our way.


                        Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

                        Comment


                        • Run It doesn't matter who is on the ship, because, "she bides her time in a secret, sacred grove. At this moment, the grove is...". The grove moves about, or, at least, the entrance does. If the air vessel causes a delay, the directions may become useless and another task would be required to get a new set. The goal is at hand, hurry along the prescribed route.


                          Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                          An Exalt is never unarmed.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
                            Run It doesn't matter who is on the ship, because, "she bides her time in a secret, sacred grove. At this moment, the grove is...". The grove moves about, or, at least, the entrance does. If the air vessel causes a delay, the directions may become useless and another task would be required to get a new set. The goal is at hand, hurry along the prescribed route.

                            Yes. Stick to the Goal.


                            I write things.

                            Comment


                            • Agreed, stick to the goal, we can steal a flying ship later.

                              Comment


                              • Oooh! Like-y!


                                Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                                An Exalt is never unarmed.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X