No announcement yet.

From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep on the path so we don't lose the opportunity to see the Lady.

Comment

• You turn you back on the ship and start to run. What step were you on? Eighty? You growl and put on an extra burst of speed. The landscape blurs around you - this is more than a run, more than a sprint. You cross the fields with leaps and bounds.

One hundred eleven, one hundred twelve, one hundred thirteen...

At two hundred paces,you to wonder if the length of your stride makes any difference. You choose not to think about it and focus on running. At two hundred fifty, you take a backward glance. By now you have left the airship far behind you.

Three hundred! Three hundred one, three hundred two...

You glance back again. The airship has not changed its speed or direction.

Three hundred eighty-nine, three hundred ninety.... You slow just enough to make a hard turn at four hundred steps. Now to go north, two hundred paces...

You look back at the airship one more time. It is still one its westward course, not turning to chase you. Perhaps it had nothing to do with you after all... Still, you keep on running.

You go north, then east, then south, then west again like Jacnudei said. And then you realize your mistake. While you were making your loop, the airship got ahead of you. Now it is dropping to the ground, right on your path.

You slow down to a jog, then to a walk. Forty four, forty five, forty six... Should you go around? How much can you deviate from the path? What if you stay the course, but leap over the ship?

Fifty six, fifty seven, fifty nine... You squint against the sunlight at the silhouette of the barge. It has "landed" - it floats a few feet off the ground, held in place by an anchor that someone tossed over the side. You see movement on the deck - figures are disembarking. You squint harder to focus on the details. There are five of them...

The first to jump off is a squat, dusky, muscular man - the most muscular man you have ever seen. Four and a half feet tall, nearly as wide, with a head that looks small on his broad shoulders and thick neck. His head is shaved, save for a thick line of curly hair along the top of his head. He wears metal-capped boots, tight brown trousers, and no shirt. Two belts cross his chest, securing two silvery hand axes that are much like the man himself - short, thick, and heavy.

He helps down the second person - a girl, possibly, although you cannot tell for sure what their sex is in the thick robes they are wearing. They are around five feet tall, skinny, and wrapped in dense, loose, purple robes that cover their entire body save for their pale hands and eyes. They carry a chunk of slate and a stylus.

The third person swings herself down, turns to face you, then quickly jogs off to one side - a flanking position, if you choose to come near the ship. She is clad in black chain mail with a long, split skirt, and a pointed, open-faced helmet. She continues to watch you, keeping her left hand always near - but not on - a short sword hanging at her side.

The fourth person is a lean, tanned man with the kind of rounded face and haircut you usually see on traveling imperials. He is dressed like an imperial too - red armor that looks more fashionable than practical, plated in a way to enable mobility at the expense of protection and covered in gold trim. Unlike the first three, he takes the time to dismount from a short ladder on the side of the ship rather than hopping over the side. He carries no visible weapons.

The fifth and last is a woman dressed like some kind of dancer. Her skin is pale blue, or painted, and most of it is exposed - bare shoulders, bare legs and feet. A collection of streamers hangs around her waist like a skirt made of green ribbons. Another set hangs from her neck, just below her long, loose red hair. Her face is covered by some kind of woven straw mask. She tiptoes down the anchor rope on the heels of the other crew, openly carrying a pair of khatars.

Together, the five form a loose group in front of the ship. They are all looking in your direction, evidently waiting for you.Your fist clenches involuntarily.
      • Rush and attack. You've had enough of running. You're going to make these people regret getting in your way.
      • Approach slowly and talk. Better not do anything rash, at least not before you know what they're about.
      • Resume running, move to evade. One extraordinary leap could carry you over all their heads.
      • Drop down and hide. It won't be easy, but you could conceal yourself in the long grass and perhaps go around them.
      • Something else?
      Last edited by semicasual; 09-24-2016, 07:17 AM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Approach slowly and talk.
        Close, talk while approaching.
        Maybe they want to see the lady, too.
        Maybe they are her guards (they knew where to land), and will let you pass on some condition.
        It may be possible to get close and then speed through them.

Talking while approaching buys time....

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
        An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Lets try talking first.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

• Start talking and slowly advance. Do not lose track of our steps and stay on the assigned path. If we can't talk past this encounter prepare to leap over the airship and keep on the path.

Comment

• Originally posted by KFinigan View Post
              Start talking and slowly advance. Do not lose track of our steps and stay on the assigned path. If we can't talk past this encounter prepare to leap over the airship and keep on the path.
              I agree with this.

I write things.

Comment

Start talking and slowly advance. Do not lose track of our steps and stay on the assigned path. If we can't talk past this encounter prepare to leap over the airship and keep on the path.
                I also agree with this

Comment

Agree with this. We are too close to our goal. If they can be reassured that we have no business with them, all the better. If not, they cannot be allowed to distract us or turn us from our destination.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• You walk closer, continuously scanning the five members of the ship crew as you approach. One hundred eleven, one hundred twelve, one hundred thirteen... When you reckon you are within shouting distance, you call out: "{Name thyselves!}"

The man in red armor steps forward and shouts back - "{I am Mnemon Yos. My companions are Black Quartz...}" The short, heavyset man raises a thick arm. "{...Krein...}" The robed short person inclines their head, hiding what little you could see of them. "{...Astrida Olefsdotr...}" The woman in black armor nods once, without taking her eyes off you. "{...and The Unbound Queen of Endless Skies.}" The blue-skinned woman makes an elaborate bow. "{We know thee, Otgonbayar. Thou hast surely made thy mark upon our heavenly city. We have much to discuss.}"

As you approach, your pace slows down more and more. One hundred thirty-one... one hundred thirty-two... You are nearly in the middle of them, now. "{What dost thou want of me?}"

Yos looks around at his companions and then directly into your eyes. "{Thou mayest not believe me, but my only wish is to help thee.}"

"{Thou, and thy armed friends?}" you retort, turning to glare at at Olefsdotr. "{What help dost thou believe I need?}"

Yos' face remains blank. His hands remain at his sides. "{Otgonbayar, thou art the cause of much strife. If thou wouldst avoid retribution, thou shouldst answer my questions fully and truthfully.}"

One hundred and forty steps. A few more, and you will walk straight into Quartz. You stop to glance around. All five of the crew are standing in place, waiting. You focus in on Yos. "{Ask thy questions.}"

Yos is scanning you. "{To begin, thou wert seen coming and going from The Sublime Abode of the Orichalcum Alembic. Its master, Li Er, hath told us you stole Pills of Immortality and started a fire in that place. Is this so?}"
                    • Deny everything. "{I know not of what you speak.}"
                    • Bluntly admit guilt. "{Yes.}"
                    • Blame your circumstances. "{I took a single pill because I was mad from hunger and fatigue, and smelled the honey surrounding the pill. The fire was not of my doing, but of a curse put upon me by Ozdis.}"
                    • Ask for more information. "{Pills of Immortality!?}"
                    • Attack. (Players, please specify which of the crew would be your first target)
                    • Escape. Leap over the ship and sprint for freedom.
                    • Something else?

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Blame your circumstances. "{I took a single pill because I was mad from hunger and fatigue, and smelled the honey surrounding the pill. The fire was not of my doing, but of a curse put upon me by Ozdis.}"

and then Escape!

I write things.

Comment

• "I know none of the names you mention, but there is a curse of fire and ashes placed upon me by an Ozdis. Come, walk with me, and we can go into detail."
                        in hopes Quartz will move aside to fall in to place beside you. Then progress can be made towards the goal.

This is less confrontational than asking, "Is this trifle more important than the fate of hundreds?" which was my original thought.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
                        An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• These seem to be individuals of some note, and armed for war. Perhaps words will serve better than steel in this case.

Insist on continuing to walk. "{I have come to your heavenly city on an errand of great import, which cannot be delayed. You may accompany me if you wish, and we will continue to speak, but I cannot remain here. So long as you do not intent to impede me, I shall make no effort to elude you.}"

Then blame your circumstances and apologize. "{I took a single pill, not knowing what it was, because I was mad from hunger and fatigue and smelled the honey surrounding it. The fire was not of my doing, but of a curse put upon me by Ozdis. It has banished me from comfort and shelter, but I regret any strife I have caused. I wished to make amends at the time, but it was not in my power to do. The curse was such that remaining would only have caused more harm, and harm was never my intent. So I left, for it was all I could do.}"

We are close. If we can speak with them long enough while still walking the path, we may reach our destination before we have to reckon with them at all.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferryman View Post
                            These seem to be individuals of some note, and armed for war. Perhaps words will serve better than steel in this case.

Insist on continuing to walk. "{I have come to your heavenly city on an errand of great import, which cannot be delayed. You may accompany me if you wish, and we will continue to speak, but I cannot remain here. So long as you do not intent to impede me, I shall make no effort to elude you.}"

Then blame your circumstances and apologize. "{I took a single pill, not knowing what it was, because I was mad from hunger and fatigue and smelled the honey surrounding it. The fire was not of my doing, but of a curse put upon me by Ozdis. It has banished me from comfort and shelter, but I regret any strife I have caused. I wished to make amends at the time, but it was not in my power to do. The curse was such that remaining would only have caused more harm, and harm was never my intent. So I left, for it was all I could do.}"

We are close. If we can speak with them long enough while still walking the path, we may reach our destination before we have to reckon with them at all.
                            I agree with this course of action.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

These seem to be individuals of some note, and armed for war. Perhaps words will serve better than steel in this case.

Very much this.

Comment

Solid plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X