From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ditto to the above 3

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
    I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• You take in a breath and consider how to answer. You settle on striking a conciliatory tone. "{I took but one pill, not knowing what it was, because I was mad from hunger and fatigue and smelled the honey surrounding it. The fire was not of my doing, but of a curse put upon me by Ozdis. It has banished me from comfort and shelter, but I regret any strife I have caused.}"

Off to your side, Olefsdottr mutters under her breath in Riverspeak - "I'm sure Li Er would appreciate that."

You ignore her and continue on, carefully watching Yos' face. His expression has not changed. "{I wished to make amends at the time, but it was not in my power to do so. The curse worsened the fire as long as I remained. So I left, for it was all I could do.}"

Yos' face is still a blank. "{Krein}," he begins, without turning to look at them. Then he starts talking in some language you have never heard before, full of whistles and clicks. His eyes are still on you, perhaps looking for signs of recognition. He does not turn away until he finishes several sentences, moving his head just enough to see Krein at the corner of his eye. Krein raises their stylus.

"{Very well,}" says Yos, turning back to you. "{We shall speak more of this 'curse' later. For now -}"

You cross your arms and attempt to stare Yos down. "{I have come to your heavenly city on a mission which cannot be delayed}", you interject, cutting him off. "{Thou canst accompany me if that is thy wish, and we shall continue to speak, but I cannot remain here.}" You look down at Quartz, who looks back up at you impassively. "{So long as thou dost not try to hold me, I shall make no effort to escape thee.}"

Yos still shows no reaction. You cannot remember meeting anyone who was this hard to read. He starts speaking again in his whistle-click tongue, giving a few short phrases. This time, the other members of the crew respond. The Unbound Queen half-sings a brief answer, Quartz gives single noncommittal-sounding cluck, and Olefsdottr starts what could be a counterargument or accusation of some kind before stopping herself. Krein says nothing, only raises their stylus again.

"{Then let us go,}" Yos answers simply. He raises a hand in what you recognize as a silent command to form up. Quartz moves out of your way, and the rest of the crew take positions behind you and Yos.

You resume walking westward. One hundred forty one, one hundred forty two... The hovering ship looms over you. You consider walking around it, but decide that would mess up your count and settle for ducking underneath it. Once under the hull, you can hear a nearly silent hum from the vessel. Six more paces takes you to the other side. Yos and his crew follow you with varying levels of ease and grace Quartz and Krein barely need to duck. Yos bows down, walks through, and straightens up on the other side without a crack in his poise. Olefsdottr gives an indignant squawk when she sees what you are doing, and then again when her helmet scrapes the hull.

"{If I may continue,}" says Yos, as if nothing had happened, "{Thou didst leave a clear trail from the Sublime Abode to the site of some altercation. Who didst thou battle there, and why, and what was the outcome?}"
      • Deny everything. "{I fought no battle.}"
      • Tell the bare-bones truth. "{I fought Tal-of-the-Ways. He fled.}"
      • Explain fully. "{A man calling himself Tal-of-the-Ways attacked me. He claimed to know me, though I remembered him not, and believed I had stolen a magical shard from him. I defeated him, but he escaped by magic.}"
      • Attack
      • Flee
      • Something else?
      Last edited by semicasual; 10-08-2016, 11:04 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Explain fully. I don't see a reason to withold this particular information.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

• Sure, Explain. Tal did attack, but I would leave out the shard taken from Ozdis, it may justify the curse in their eyes. Tal thought I had something Tal wanted, but I did not.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
          An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Explain fully

I write things.

Comment

• Explain fully. But don't be specific about the Shard. It is enough to say that he wanted something that he thought we possessed, but didn't. If Yos asks, we can tell him that Tal wanted a Shard but that we do not know what this Shard is or why he wanted it. That's true enough.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• I see no need for obfuscation, explain fully. Continue to attempt to read Yos for reactions.

Comment

• Originally posted by KFinigan View Post
                  I see no need for obfuscation, explain fully. Continue to attempt to read Yos for reactions.
                  This sounds good to me

Comment

• Yos is not really a concern, just string him along until entering the garden.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98

Comment

• You watch Yos closely while you walk and talk. "{A man calling himself Tal-of-the-Ways attacked me. He claimed to know me, though I remembered him not, and believed I had stolen a magical shard from him. I defeated him, but he escaped by magic.}"

Yos watches you back, as perfectly blank as ever. "{Didst thou possess such a shard?}"

"{Yes,}" you answer simply.

Yos' face makes a tiny twitch. You are not sure what it means. "{Describe it to me.}"

You shrug your shoulders. "{The shard was the length of my thumb, made of gold-colored crystal...}" You trail off, briefly. Something moving in the background behind Yos has caught your attention. There is a large animal moving through the grass... a great cat, one of those golden lions you have seen around the city. It blends into its surroundings surprisingly well. Even so, you can see it stalking your group, keeping pace at a distance. You carry on talking, trying not to give your awareness away. "{...the crystal gave off some warmth and light. One edge of it was sharp.}"

Yos closes his eyes, waits one second, then opens them again. "{Dost thou possess the crystal now?}"

How many steps have you taken? Two hundred three, two hundred four, two hundred five...

"{No. I gave it unto Silk Butterfly, a woman who called herself a 'Servant of the Lute'}."

"What?!" exclaims Olefsdotr, indignant. "Krein!" she calls, then starts angrily whistling and clicking. Krein shrinks into themselves and begins furiously scratching on their tablet. Yos holds up a hand. Olefsdotr trails off into quiet fuming. You hear a huffing sound. It takes a moment for you to realize that Quartz is stifling a laugh. Yos, for his part, starts his own one-sided whistle-click conversation with Krein. He steps away from you so he can see over Krein's shoulder, studying their tablet.

You take advantage of the momentary distraction to look around. You find two more lions, more readily than you found the first. The three beasts prowl at your back and on either side, each of them about one hundred yards from your group. They are watching, waiting, and staying low in the grass.

The Unbound Queen spins into your line of sight. You try to ignore her, but her presence is distracting you. You find your eyes keep sliding back to her whenever you try to look elsewhere. Finally you grimace and turn away. Krein is holding up their tablet. Yos is glancing at it and and nodding.

Two hundred fifty. Two hundred fifty one...

"{Let us return to thy curse.}" Yos moves back towards you. "{Thou didst say it was put upon you by Ozdis, he whose great house burned earlier this week. Thy steps clearly led from there to where thou didst battle Tal-of-the-Ways. So, then, I ask thee - didst thou burn that house, and steal the shard from within?}"

"{I know not.}" you reply. You have been completely honest so far - no reason to change course now. "{I fell in with a parade led by Caasi Noid, and I hath no memory of what I did in that time.}"

Yos' face does not move, except to glance in Krein's direction. Krein wavers, then slowly raises their stylus.

"I can't believe this." says Olefsdotr softly. Her face has a look of dawning despair. "Took three years to get that far... and a drunk oaf just..."

"Astrida!" barks Yos, with just a hint of a frown. Then he says something else in that incomprehensible tongue. Olefsdotr throws up her hands and resumes silently glaring at you. Quartz seems to be struggling harder to hold back laughter - he is starting to double over.

Two hundred ninety-five. Two-hundred ninety-six. Two-hundred ninety-seven...

"{I have but one more question, if thou wouldst,}" says Yos, having regained his composure. "{Art thou of the Solar Exalted? One chosen by the Sun, and blessed with His Mark?}"
                      • Affirmative. "{Yes.}"
                      • Negative "{No.}"
                      • Feign Ignorance. "{What is a Solar?}"1
                      • Attack.
                      • Flee.
                      • Something Else?
                      Tal called you that. If that is what these people call being blessed...

Last edited by semicasual; 10-03-2016, 07:05 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Something else. "{Your questions to this point have been about things that happened, but now you ask me what I am. Before I answer this question, tell me why you ask it.}"

The fact that Yos asks at all means he already suspects it is true, but does not want to act on that suspicion without first confirming it. He is not interested in our nature for its own sake - he does not care. He only wishes to know if we are this thing. He should tell us why.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

• The above sounds good (although it is sorely tempting to ask if that was two questions, not one?)

Comment

• Let's go with Ferryman 's plan

I write things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ferryman View Post
                              Something else. "{Your questions to this point have been about things that happened, but now you ask me what I am. Before I answer this question, tell me why you ask it.}"

The fact that Yos asks at all means he already suspects it is true, but does not want to act on that suspicion without first confirming it. He is not interested in our nature for its own sake - he does not care. He only wishes to know if we are this thing. He should tell us why.
                              This, but with a snide comment about that being 2 questions.

Comment

• Welp, honesty has worked thus far, so show him the mark.

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

Working...
                                X