From Out of a Dream [Quest]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stay on target."
    Accept the pact for the sake of the Sunblessed.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98
    An Exalt is never unarmed.

Comment

• Accept the pact and become Jesus

Are you in the market for some Martial Arts? Perhaps some custom Artifacts for your campaign?

Comment

• Breathe in. Breathe out.

You reach out to Death. She takes your hand in hers, smiles at you, and gives your fingers a comforting squeeze. "{It shall be done.}"

Death raises her sword, then gently pushes the flat of it against your forehead. Then her head snaps skyward. The faint purple light that always surrounded her suddenly becomes piercingly bright.

"{LET THE COSMOS BEAR WITNESS!}" Her voice echoes in your mind, as if she were shouting for the whole country to hear. "{BEHOLD, THE SACRIFICE OF BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT FOR THE FIFTH AND FINAL FATE.}"

You hear a faint ringing from the sword, feel a subtle vibration through your skin. A soft warmth spreads through you. Death takes her blade away and clutches your hand more tightly.

"{THE BODY, TO BEAR. THE MIND, TO KNOW. THE SPIRIT, TO UPHOLD.}"

Your mark reignites. Your aura flares up to the heavens alongside Death's. You and she are the centers of two columns of light, gold and violet, reaching for the stars. Death's declarations continue, but you cannot hear her over the roaring in your ears. Your heart races and you find yourself hyperventilating.

Some time passes - a few seconds, a few minutes? - before you regain your sense of self. The brilliant light is fading away from both of you. You feel drained, tired beyond belief.

"{...AND SO I CLAIM THIS LIFE FOR MY OWN, BOUND TO ME UNTIL DEATH OR THE END OF TIME.}"

You hear the words, but cannot focus on them. Your head feels too heavy. You find yourself falling forward, but a pair of strong arms catch you and wrap you in a warm embrace.

"{It is done. Thy children shall remember thee for all their days and all their descendants for all their days. Now, rest.}"

Rest. Your eyelids sink of their own accord.

"{Do not fear. To all things comes an end.}"

You breathe in and out. Your awareness of your surroundings fades away, except for a gentle voice in your ear.

"{And to every end... comes a beginning.}"
        ***fin***

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• (Aaaand that's a wrap! Thank you, everyone who participated. Please remember to comment, like, and subscribe.Your support is an important motivator for my work, along with my own boredom and fits of obsession.

I want to particularly thank Kat Brenowitz, for providing all of the artwork for this story. Kat, if you're reading this, you're awesome.

It's been an eventful year since I started this project. Sometimes I thought we'd never get here, and at first I didn't really know where "here" was. Initially I just planned to see where the story with the Stone spun off to, but I think we outgrew that. The Stone was only ever a macguffin anyway, and there's a limit to what kind of stories you can tell about an object that many people might want but few can use.

Sometimes you came up with better ideas for actions than I did. I appreciate that, truly - it's one of the best parts of collaborative storytelling.

There are more stories I could tell about Otgonbayar/Nergui, but I believe he's had enough for now. The whole of the story from the old castle to Saturn's grove makes for a complete character arc, I think. Besides, I've had another story idea burning in the back of my mind for a while now, and I'd like to kick it off. More on that later.

First, let's do a post-chapter, post-chronicle review!
          1. Languages, again. God's tongue was supposed to be be a super-formal language. Initially I just had it be full of bold declarations, not unlike modern translations of the bible, but I found it was a little too much like what I did for the steppe people's language? So... I went with more archaic english. I wonder if you found it easy enough to read, and if it was as compelling as what I had written for other dialogues?
          2. Tone shift. I look back at the first few chapters, and there are some marked differences in my writing style. There's a certain noirish-ness to the first two chapters that I think I used less and less of over time - it just felt less appropriate to the situations that the main character was in, I suppose. Do you prefer the style of the early chapters to the later ones, or vice versa?
          3. The Heavenly City and its inhabitants. I only skimmed the Celestial Compass book on Yu-Shan, mostly to confirm that yes, the Violet Bier is a real place and no, it's not the kind of bier you carry around at funerals. What did you think of how I presented the city and the gods?
          4. Spot the Sidereal! I included a total of 8 Sidereal characters in the whole story - 7 of them in the last chapter. Can you guess who they all were?
          5. Ask me a question! The story is over (for the moment), so the old restrictions are being eased. If there is anything about this or previous chapters you'd like me to tell you, ask away.
          6. Something else? Just tell me anything at all. Whatever observations you have about this project - let me know!

I'm going to start another quest this week, assuming no interference. Stay tuned for another legend of Creation, in "Back Alive or Maybe Dead"!)
          Last edited by semicasual; 01-09-2017, 11:54 AM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

• Was Silver Sky a Sidereal or a Lunar or something else?

((I post more about the quest later, when I have caught up on things))

I write things.

Comment

• Silk Butterfly for sid.
              I think change of tone in the story appropriate, as Nergui changed to Otgonbayar.
              The languages were sufficiently different for me.

Like my Avatar? Courtesy of Jen! : Anybody want their characters to be experimented on ? post 98

Comment

• (Silver Sky was one Sidereal. Silk Butterfly was another.)

Comment

• Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                  (Silver Sky was one Sidereal. Silk Butterfly was another.)

((Damn. I thought he was a Lunar. A Sidereal makes sense though in hindsight. What caste was he?)

I write things.

Comment

• Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                    (Damn. I thought he was a Lunar. A Sidereal makes sense though in hindsight. What caste was he?)
                    (Endings. And if the Gold Faction in its modern form existed at the time of this story, he might be inclined to join it.)

Comment

• I just want to chime in and say that during my droughts of Exalted interest, it was this story that kept me checking the forums daily, just in case of an update. It was really engaging and really fun. You're pretty good at writing combat as well, something I've struggled with myself. I loved your foreign language use, something I just tend to forget about entirely in my games and stories. You always managed to take what people would choose or come up with and roll it out as though that were the way it was meant to go all along. Well done, and you should be proud. I look forward to your next story/quest.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                      I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Did we ever find out what happened to the shaping stone? Last I recall is that we went to dig it up and it was just gone.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                        I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                          Did we ever find out what happened to the shaping stone? Last I recall is that we went to dig it up and it was just gone.
                          My guess - Sidereals took it.

I write things.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                            Did we ever find out what happened to the shaping stone? Last I recall is that we went to dig it up and it was just gone.
                            Actually, Red Songbird took it. I had a plot idea about chasing her to the literal edge of the world to get it back, but that never took off.

Comment

• So, the serpent that came out of the well, what was it saying?

Comment

• Originally posted by L'het'esh View Post
                                So, the serpent that came out of the well, what was it saying?
                                Paraphrasing for comedic effect:

"Yo, is there a dude named Nergui around? I got a package from Sugaka here. Nergui? Nergui! Good thing you're here, this thing really sticks in my craw, and I don't mean that metaphorically. *vomits.* Ah, that's better. Peace!"

Comment

Working...
                                X