Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's hold a trial for the one responsible for the Usurpation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's hold a trial for the one responsible for the Usurpation.

Now, I know what you're thinking: The loathsome traitor responsible for the Usurpation has escaped justice for far too long. Some people might say that he is necessary for Creation's survival, that he is too important to bring to justice. Some people might say that there is no evidence. I disagree; I believe there's enough that Heaven can easily conclude who the mastermind of the Usurpation truly was. I intend to make that argument, here and now, before the assembled legal bodies of Heaven, so that he can be brought to justice at last.

It's obvious, when you think about it. It would have to be someone with great wisdom about the Solar Exalted, someone who has advised and taught them for long hours, someone who has constantly had an eye on their fate.

I am speaking, of course, about this guy:

He was the one in charge of the Solar Exaltations, which 'mysteriously' failed to reincarnate after the Solars' deaths. Furthermore, he kept detailed notes about all the Solar Exaltations, making it simple for him to plan the Usurpation and guide his Dragon-Blooded catspaws to do the deed. During the five days of the Usurpation itself, no one saw him in public; this can only be because he was behind the scenes, masterminding and participating in the murder of the Solar Exalted. Why would he do such a thing? Who can tell for sure? Perhaps it was simple madness. Perhaps it was jealousy, which built up over long years of attending to them. Perhaps -- as some people have whispered -- he had some insane theory that they were "cursed" and thought that this was the only solution; perhaps he quite rightly feared punishment if his knowledge of their curse could come to light, since he was the god in charge of watching over their Exaltations.

But for whatever reason, he did it. Lytek killed the Solar Exalted. And I have more than just this logic; I have an eyewitness. Now, his name is sometimes hard to remember, but his credentials are beyond reproach; he is one of the highest-ranking servants of the Bureau of Destiny. For nearly the last five-thousand years, he served first the Deliberative and later (after Lytek's shocking, tragic betrayal) its successors with a humility, wisdom, and care that we can all aspire to. And he says that he witnessed Lytek personally killing every single one of the 300 Solars, as well as many other Celestial Exalted (deaths Lytek later arranged to be blamed on the Solars in a crude attempt to escape culpability for his crime.) Until now, he has remained silent; but his life is almost over, and he feels that the truth needs to come out before his death.

Really, a trial is a mere formality. He hid his tracks well, but everyone knows who the real mastermind of the Usurpation was; it is time for Lytek to pay for his crimes.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 06-26-2015, 12:51 AM.

OBJECTION!!!

Lyteks proposed motives are pure speculation, and this curse idea is complete none sense. We all know the Solars brought creation into a literal golden age, if they had been so cursed, how would their madness have allowed this? Secondly I have evidence here that will prove that he was locked forcibly inside his office. As you can see from this picture, the door was barred, by something leaving behind star metal residue, and his panicked claw marks from the other side.

Comment

Why Lytek would believe something so strange, I have no idea; but that does seem to be what he believes -- he was very frantic about explaining it when we took him into custody, as if it was some dark secret he had long desired to confess. He has not, as yet, confessed to the rest of the crime, but we have more than enough evidence to convict him. Now, I'm not sure what you're talking about with the starmetal residue; our investigators found no trace of starmetal anywhere, nor any evidence that anyone has ever used that material for anything significant. But despite its comparative uselessness as a magical material with no associated Exalt type, I'm sure my witness can explain how you might have found some starmetal residue that everyone else missed; useless or not, he happens to be an expert on that material.

Witness statement: Lytek's Madness

"Yes... yes, that's right. Once we realized the madness that had overtaken him, we tried to stop him by locking him in his office; but it accomplished nothing! He was too powerful for us. We desperately tried to bar the door with the useless starmetal we happened to have on-hand, but he easily freed himself with his powerful magic and made his way to Creation, where he murdered the dear sweet precious Solars without remorse."
      Last edited by Aquillion; 06-26-2015, 02:05 AM.

Comment

How can we be certain that the witness even is Chejop? Isn't it possible that this could simply be a Fair Folk doppleganger in disguise? Before we continue, I would like to see some proof that this man is whom he claims to be.

Comment

A useless metal indeed, starmetal! And yet, we have here a literal mountain of reports regarding your departments' unceasing, millennia long requisition of all starmetal resources available to the Bureaus of Heaven, and the equally numerous reports of artifacts forged of that material, or an alloy of that material! Come now sir, do you expect to fool a child with that sort of nonsense?

Who here has not heard of the properties of the wondrous five magical materials, hm? Your honor, I protest the prosecution's insistence on the dismissal of starmetal as irrevelant due to its lacking in value under the grounds of the Common Knowledge Laws, article 3, paragraph C, and call the prosecution's investigation suspect under the Perjury Laws, article 75, paragraph G!

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

How can we be certain that the witness even is Chejop? Isn't it possible that this could simply be a Fair Folk doppleganger in disguise? Before we continue, I would like to see some proof that this man is whom he claims to be.
            It could also be Luna she's done stranger things.

Comment

Best. Frame job. Ever.

Comment

Who? I don't recall anyone by the name of "Chejop." Judge, do you recall anyone of that name?

"Hrm... I can't say that I do, no."

Please confine your queries to people who actually exist! Now, if you are inquiring as to the identity of this functionary from the Bureau of Destiny -- whose name quite escapes me at the moment -- I think we can easily establish his identity by asking this other person here, who is Very Clearly Definitely a member of the Bureau of Destiny. Sir, do you recall the other witness?

Witness Statement: The Mysterious Witness

"Si, esé. That hombre is a well-known member of the Bureau of Destiny, as I clearly am, and has worked there for nearly five-thousand years, just as you said!"

Well, there you have-- oh, the second witness is gone. And I can't recall his name. Oh well, at least the first witness is here with us again. We can ask him for his opinion, at least. Sir, do you work for the Bureau of Destiny?

Witness statement: The Mysterious Witness, pt 2

"No, I am not a member of the Bureau of Destiny; I am a Fair Folk imposter. You can tell from my tentacles, which all Fair Folk impostors have."

"Hilarious! But obviously untrue; I think we can all see that you're a member of the Bureau of Destiny. Please, stick with the truth in the future."

...now, if we are through badgering this witness, can we please get back to the subject of what this witness saw on the night the Solars were murdered? He clearly witnessed Lytek personally killing all 300 Solars, which, I think, settles the case right here and now.
                Last edited by Aquillion; 06-26-2015, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
                  A useless metal indeed, starmetal! And yet, we have here a literal mountain of reports regarding your departments' unceasing, millennia long requisition of all starmetal resources available to the Bureaus of Heaven, and the equally numerous reports of artifacts forged of that material, or an alloy of that material! Come now sir, do you expect to fool a child with that sort of nonsense?

Who here has not heard of the properties of the wondrous five magical materials, hm? Your honor, I protest the prosecution's insistence on the dismissal of starmetal as irrevelant due to its lacking in value under the grounds of the Common Knowledge Laws, article 3, paragraph C, and call the prosecution's investigation suspect under the Perjury Laws, article 75, paragraph G!
                  Indeed, Starmetal is not completely useless; it has some minor connections with Fate, enough that the Bureau of Destiny is the logical place to send if nowhere else can be found. And, yes, nowhere else can be found, because the fact remains that no one can recall any type of Exalted that favors the metal, making it at least comparatively useless when weighed against, for example, Jade. The Bureau of Destiny, who has some small uses for the metal, has therefore taken it upon itself to do a service to the rest of Yu-Shan and Creation by removing the stuff from circulation and relying nearly entirely on it for equipping field agents.

Comment

Very well. We'll accept that the witness, is in fact, a member of the Bureau of Destiny.

HOWEVER!

You claim to have witnessed Lytek personally murdering all 300 of the Solar Exalted. We know that while many of the Solars were at the Calibration Banquet, many of them were scattered across Creation. So, how did you personally see him kill all of those people in so many different locations? If you were, in fact, on hand at the scene of the crime of every murder of the Solar Exalted, then isn't it possible that YOU were the one who actually killed them?
                    Last edited by AnubisXy; 06-26-2015, 04:17 AM.

Comment

You claim to have witnessed Lytek personally murdering all 300 of the Solar Exalted. We know that while many of the Solars were at the Calibration Banquet, many of them were scattered across Creation. So, how did you personally see him kill all of those people in so many different locations? If you were, in fact, on hand at the scene of the crime of every murder of the Solar Exalted, then isn't it possible that YOU were the one who actually killed them?

Naturally, they didn't all die at once. Did anyone say that they did?

Witness statement: The Mysterious Witness, pt 2

"Yes, it's true. They were scattered all across Creation... but Lytek was relentless. With most of the Solars dead, he was freed from the majority of his duties... freed to stalk those who escaped and kill them, one by one. I am a busy man at the Bureau of Destiny -- unlike Lytek, the aspects of Creation under my charge have not died -- and therefore I was not able to follow him around for all of these; but, horrified by his actions, I kept an eye on him and witnessed his crimes through the Loom of Fate itself, which does not lie."

Needless to say, the fact that the witness was so heavily occupied with his duties means he couldn't possibly have murdered the Solar Exalted himself. Lytek, unfortunately, had fewer duties to distract him after he murdered the Solar Exalted, and therefore had far more opportunities to slip away... we are fortunate that someone with the resources of the Bureau of Destiny was keeping an eye on him. Please, restrain yourself from making such wild accusations in the future unless you have some sort of decisive evidence to back it up.
                      Last edited by Aquillion; 06-26-2015, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Totentanz View Post
                        Best. Frame job. Ever.
                        This is amateur hour shit.

He's not even providing evidence. I can literally recreate this testimony with a crate of wine and some local bums. Even for this franchise, this is not how court works.
                        Last edited by The Revenge of TV Head; 06-26-2015, 06:05 AM.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The Revenge of TV Head View Post
                          This is amateur hour shit.

He's not even providing evidence. I can literally recreate this testimony with a crate of wine and some local bums. Even for this franchise, this is not how court works.
                          An eyewitness account from a high-ranking official in the Bureau of Destiny is evidence; if you feel that my witness is no more credible than a local bum, you should give a reason for that.

But there's more evidence than that. We've dusted all of the Solar Exaltations we could find for prints, and the only prints we found on any of them (aside from a few lingering prints from the Unconquered Sun himself) belonged to Lytek. Since someone has to have stolen them to keep them from circulating, this clearly incriminates him.

(Solar Exaltations entered into the court record.)

Lytek also possesses the cabinet into which all Solar Exaltations go after death. Again, we dusted it for prints, and no fingerprints except Lytek's were found. The cabinet is clearly the most likely place where the Solar Exaltations were taken from when they ceased circulating; the lack of fingerprints other than his own incriminates him again.

(Lytek's cabinet entered into the court record.)

There is no evidence that any of the fingerprints on these objects have been tampered with; no smudges, no signs of washing or cleaning. Surely you wouldn't suggest that someone could have simultaneously erased all their fingerprints, leaving no hint of their actions? It's far more logical to conclude that Lytek is the culprit. He is the only one known to have the means and motive to commit this crime.

Of course, even beyond that, Lytek is one of the few deities known to be capable of manipulating Exaltations to any degree, and the others are Celestial Incarnae. The criminal somehow managed to prevent all 300 Solar Exaltations from circulating for nearly 1500 years. Who else could we possibly suspect?

Lytek believed the Solar Exalted were cursed; fearing the consequences of this, and terrified that this "fact" would be discovered, he panicked and decided to kill them all, then used his position as God of Exaltation to prevent them from reincarnating. That's what the evidence says.
                          Last edited by Aquillion; 06-26-2015, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
                            An eyewitness account from a high-ranking official in the Bureau of Destiny is evidence; if you feel that my witness is no more credible than a local bum, you should give a reason for that.
                            Local Bums don't profit from gods dying, for one. They also could be convinced to introduce themselves and not use mind whammy charms on the presiding judge, unless they happen to be an Exalted bum, but I doubt Havesh is around.

But there's more evidence than that. We've dusted all of the Solar Exaltations we could find for prints, and the only prints we found on any of them (aside from a few lingering prints from the Unconquered Sun himself) belonged to Lytek.
                            Who's job is to handle them, of course they're going to have his fingerprints on them.

Lytek also possesses the cabinet into which all Solar Exaltations go after death. Again, we dusted it for prints, and no fingerprints except Lytek's were found.
                            Congratulations, you have conclusively proven that Lytek was in his own workplace, at some point. Really solid detective work. He practically lives in his office, according to testimony from Parad, Ryzala and a few dozen other co-workers in the Bureau.

I mean, unless the prosecution would like to suggest he bludgeoned the Solars to death using the Cabinet, whether it has its fingerprints on it or not is entirely irrelevant.

Of course, even beyond that, Lytek is one of the few deities known to be capable of manipulating Exaltations to any degree, and the others are Celestial Incarnae.
                            Any deity with his tools could manipulate said Exaltations to that about that degree, which by the way is not enough to effect when they go, where they move and who they choose as a host. This was a matter of some controversy sometime prior to the Usurpation, when a number of Golden Children were Exalted and attempted a coup against their former masters.

The criminal somehow managed to prevent all 300 Solar Exaltations from circulating for nearly 1500 years. Who else could we possibly suspect?
                            Suspicion is not grounds for trial. Try again.

But, there is one thing to think of here. Exaltations, when they leave the cabinet are all but impossible to detect, is it really so hard to believe, that for the last few thousand years, they've found no one host they consider worthy of uplifting?
                            Last edited by The Revenge of TV Head; 06-26-2015, 07:28 AM.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

Suspicion is not grounds for trial. Try again.
                              As a licensed attorney who has done criminal defense work, all I have to say to this is "lol."

Even outside the context of heavenly kangaroo court, "lol" is the only proper response.

But, there is one thing to think of here. Exaltations, when they leave the cabinet are all but impossible to detect, is it really so hard to believe, that for the last few thousand years, they've found no one host they consider worthy of uplifting?
                              Data mining the Loom of Fate could pretty easily disprove this assertion.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Working...
                              X