• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstarter Update #79

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1293909

Text:

RichT here:
    We've just completed sending back notes to Maria on the 5th iteration of the layout proofs, and we are moving into the phase of layout where we're looking to fine-tune such things as, but not limited to, color and how the text is set within side-bar boxes, and whether that illustration would work better full bleed or set at the bottom of the page.
    It's more painstaking, and takes time, but we can at last show some example 2-page spreads so you can see where we're going with the layout. If you don't want anything spoiled until you get the backer PDF, don't look any further. (I'll put them at the bottom).
    The Devs are assembling the info needed for the character sheet, giving back comments on the proofs, and working on Arms of the Chosen, the Dragon Blooded book and the Realm book, and further projects. We need the character sheet created for the backer PDF, and we intend to include the backer credits with that as well, but we'll hold off on the Index until after we send you that PDF.
    Here then, are some examples of the pages direct from the PDF proof so they are in lower res than you'll see them in your Backer PDF and, as always, things can still change as we tweak the design:
    You can find the images by following the link. I'm going to squint real hard and see how much of the pages I can read and try and transcribe them.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Please do, I'm at work and can't read them on my phone at all.

Comment

Overall, nice arts! I especially like the parade ground with what appear to be warstriders.

Ahlat looks a little too human, not enough bull for me though.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

I don't know which page excites me more, the section on Religion or the Occult Charms.

I write things.

Comment

I can make out "The South", which leads me to conclude that one page is from the Setting chapter.

The illustrations stretching over two pages is very nice (I expect it'll look even better in print), and I like the inkwash pictures in the corners. Plus, there seems to be a different background for every chapter. If this is typical for the design of the whole book, I can say with yet more confidence that Ex3 will be the prettiest RPG book in my collection*.

*Leading competitors are Numenera and Shadowrun 5e, also very pretty books.
          Last edited by semicasual; 07-15-2015, 02:05 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

The first few pages appear to be from the same chapter (all with the same page background), probably Setting. I see The South, Lunar Dominions, and what looks like discussion of the Realm.

Devs and RichT, thank you for sharing these!

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
            Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

Shame 5e Shadowrun is a nightmare to reference in play.

Never had that problem with Numenera or Exalted thankfully.

As for the page splits, they are pretty amazing. I'm curious to see how it fits in print

Comment

Seems inspired by the layout work on Legend of the Five Rings, an excellent place to take ideas from if there ever was one!

The Warstriders I think are from the KS, though in full rather than cropped, the full spread pn 94-95 is fantastic. The woman on page 213 (with the golden surfsword) still make me cringe...

Please do not post full text or screen shots from books (and other licensed materials) on the forums. And please refrain from suggestions of plagiarism, even in praise of the final work.
                Last edited by PenDragon; 07-15-2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Hmm.

Speaking as someone will probably be primarily reading Ex3 in PDF format on a tablet, the two page spreads don't really do anything for me.

Have you ever read a Coik post before, man? lol
                  -Holden

Comment

Originally posted by Coik View Post
                    Hmm.

Speaking as someone will probably be primarily reading Ex3 in PDF format on a tablet, the two page spreads don't really do anything for me.
                    On a similar note (as I posted on the Kickstarter page), I wonder what the binding crease will do to the two page spreads.

If you want to play Thomas Edison, you'd better be up to the task of carrying all of civilization through the Renaissance and Industrial Revolution, while the Sidereals and Dragon-Blooded are shooting at you.

Comment

Originally posted by Scutarii View Post
                      The woman on page 213 (with the golden surfsword) still make me cringe...
                      I still hate the Final Fantasy Swords in Exalted. Make sense in Video Games, since you want new weapons to stand out, but in an table RPG? I rather have an elegant Katana, than a sword that is wider than my head.

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by Scutarii View Post
                        Seems inspired by the layout work on Legend of the Five Rings, an excellent place to take ideas from if there ever was one!

The Warstriders I think are from the KS, though in full rather than cropped, the full spread pn 94-95 is fantastic. The woman on page 213 (with the golden surfsword) still make me cringe...

Agreed, L5R and Nobilis are, IMO, the best looking RPGs out there right now, and it's looking like Exalted will be up there as well. Now I'm waiting for the drama of "SHE COPIED L5RS LAYOUT OMG WTF OHNOES" (she didn't, just predicting) to crop up, especially remembering the whole river dragon fiasco.

My only and single concern is that it looks great digital, but how will the page split affect it? I'm worried about missing the middle sliver of the picture >_<. That's just a minor gripe though, I'm overall super happy with it ^_^
                        Last edited by PenDragon; 07-15-2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I'm worried on how the PoD version will look. DriveThruRPG says that there is a white border around the edges. Does that include the binding side of the page?

Might have to troll eBay for a Deluxe Edition.

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladikn View Post

Agreed, L5R and Nobilis are, IMO, the best looking RPGs out there right now, and it's looking like Exalted will be up there as well. Now I'm waiting for the drama of "SHE COPIED L5RS LAYOUT OMG WTF OHNOES" (she didn't, just predicting) to crop up, especially remembering the whole river dragon fiasco.
                            That would be fairly ludicrous yes.

My only and single concern is that it looks great digital, but how will the page split affect it? I'm worried about missing the middle sliver of the picture >_<. That's just a minor gripe though, I'm overall super happy with it ^_^
                            Yeah, 94-95 could suffer as the heart of the action is in the center, where the arms and clashing blades are going to sink inwards to the binding.

Comment

Question about Uncanny shroud defense. "When struck with damage that would remove her last health level, the exalt may use this charm to stop the final level of damage." Later in the charm, "This charm cannot be used if the Exalt is currently on her last uninjured health level." Confusing, or maybe a missing NOT.

Possible meanings: this charm can & cannot be used to stop the last health level of damage.
                              This charm works unless you are already on your last health level (so a flaw of invulnerability analog)
                              This charm only works if you are about to lose your last -4 health box, and you can't trick the GM into using this when you are about to lose your last -0 box.
                              Is it one of those?

Uniform and Decisive-only as keywords. Interesting.

Looks like the 'little god for every blade of grass' is quite quite dead. Otherwise, Uncanny perception would be useless & really tick off Adorjan.

2 pages of Occult charms that are all essence 1. Quite a few always-on charms, but not anything that is "this charm gives the spirit-detecting glance charm more abilities) like Alchemical upgrades had. I'm seeing two akin-to-excellency charms (uncanny perception and spirit-slaying stance). One perfect defense, three charms into the tree, cost 6m. I'm curious whether the 'occult detective tree' continues on a later page, maybe as essence 2+.

Nephwrack looks scary. Pull you into grave with shadow hands, scare you until you can't do anything, and oh by the way it eats your soul.

Perilous, Psyche, Aggravated, Dual, and Clash are keywords.

And oh yeah, cool art.

Comment

Working...
                              X