Brainstorming Isidoros and Szoreny Charmsets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming Isidoros and Szoreny Charmsets

I've got a new game coming up in a couple weeks (once our current non-Exalted game reaches its impending conclusion), and I find myself in need of Isidoros and Szoreny Charms for it.I know there are a few sets out there for both at the moment, but I'm considering writing up my own sets for these two with a focus on unique synergy in the interaction of the two sets when used by two different people.

If anyone would like to help me get the ball rolling on this though, I'm open for Charm suggestions and any citations for particularly interesting tidbits of lore about these two (just in case something slipped my notice somewhere). Thanks for the help!

Something I always I liked was the implication that Isidoros operated solely on instinct, acting in the present, while relying on Szoreny for longer-level planning and thought, while Szoreny relied on Isidoros for immediate action. Thus, maybe if the Isidoran GSPs would gain benefits from Szoreny's mental charms and Szoreny's chosen would gain benefits from Isidoros' athletics and attack charms, then, akin to teamwork effects?

Another thing I thought was neat that certain charmsets did was give Isidoros movement-based special attacks, such as charging charms that gave bigger benefits the more distance you moved before attacking in that tick.

Just my thoughts, I hope that helps.

Comment

Revlid had a complete Isidoros charmset on the old forums. Let me see if I can dig it up... Here. This isn't all of them (the Shintai is missing for instance) but it's the best starting point I can think of.

Comment

Welcome back, RO! Please accept these humble offerings.

HALP I'M UPSIDE DOWN PRANA
        The Silver Forest is fucking upside down. This fucking sucks. The Infernal turns permanently upside down, and may not revert to upright position by any means. However, she gains the ability to walk on her hands (if she could not already), and wield objects with her feet... somehow.

COVERED IN SLASHFICS META-EXISTENCE
        The Black Boar that Twists the Skies is probably not really a brooding loner who just needs a nice, silvery, same-sex heart to help him open up about his feelings... but everyone sure seems to think so! The Infernal's name becomes permanently associated with the yaoi. Anyone who hears his name (even if they're female) automatically assumes them to be in a loving homosexual relationship with the nearest man, tree or shiny object, and gains a positive Intimacy toward this relationship. It's all pretty confusing.

(Yeah, I'm still not sure Szoridoros is canon, though it sure is popular)

I might help more, but I don't know that much on either of these, tbh.

"They" is an excellent gender neutral pronoun.
        Avatar adapted from art by Cordell Felix http://cordellfelix.com/

Comment

I have one Szoreny Charm. It is not much, but I like it.

Loch Ness monsters. On vacation. On a pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis View Post
            I've got a new game coming up in a couple weeks (once our current non-Exalted game reaches its impending conclusion), and I find myself in need of Isidoros and Szoreny Charms for it.I know there are a few sets out there for both at the moment, but I'm considering writing up my own sets for these two with a focus on unique synergy in the interaction of the two sets when used by two different people.

If anyone would like to help me get the ball rolling on this though, I'm open for Charm suggestions and any citations for particularly interesting tidbits of lore about these two (just in case something slipped my notice somewhere). Thanks for the help!

Hm....

Off the top of my head, I've got this idea for a Szoreny Charm that let's you redirect incoming attacks(Physical or Social) towards any other valid target in a certain area and an Isidoros counterattack charm that you can charge up(more counterattacks or more damage or something) so long as no one attacks you. Have the Szoreny guy deflecting attacks, let the Isiodoros guy charge up and then he's done charging, the Szoreny guy deflects an attack onto the Isidoros guy who let's off a giant counter at some luckless bastard.

Alternately, a Isidoros Charm that gives them a charge attack that can do serious damage(possibly the Isidoros equivalent of Green Sun Nimbus Flare) with a number of upgrade Charms, but while Charging, the Infernal can only go in a(to them) straight line(possibly giving enemies a bonus to their DDV?). Then there's a Szonery Charm that pulls a mirror/space distortion thingy over the battlefield that lets them change something else's directions(possibly stemming off of the Charm to redirect attacks) and use that to direct the Isidoros Infernal and move them in whatever direction you need them to go to smash what needs to be smashed.

Comment

Isidoros needs to favour Hardened Devil Body. It's dull, but appropriate. Beyond that...
              • Only Szoreny can bear the reflection of Isidoros. From this we get a Charm that blinds people (by destroying the reflection of him in the eye of the beholder), as well as Stealth Charms (burning away his reflection in the memory of the beholder).
              • Conversely, when not hiding, Isidoros should be very, very noticeable, his vast charisma making him the center of any gathering and disrupting their proper order. In his wake, markets become riots and court functions become orgies. Some who partake in the chaos are caught in the slipstream of the Boar, and follow him to the ends of the earth. They seek either vengeance, or more wonderful chaos.
              • The Boar thrives on opposition. The sound of someone cursing his name is as sweet as prayer, and the hatred and envy of others is his wine. He favours lust over love, except that of Szoreny.
              • I imagine a tendency for his offensive Charms to destroy mundane weapons. Aside from being a cool visual, it encourages Isidorite warlock to go unarmed, but does not actually forbid it.
              • All Yozis are peerless musicians and dancers, and Isidoros is no different. His music ought to be pretty destructive, though, and should carry far, like horns and talking drums.

Comment

I did a Szoreny Charm set back in the day.

Masters of the Industrial Elements
                Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                The Underworld (3rd Edition)
                ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

Szoreny is kinda hard to get a handle on because ED has already taken alot of the possible mimicry charms, my take on szoreny is that he actually admires the talents he sees and copies, and when you no longer fit his perfect image of you? he destroys you.

Comment

I'd like to see an Isidoros social charm that causes groups of people to go raving 'mad' and tear others apart. Something like the maenads of Greek mythology - losing themselves in ecstatic trances and going wild. Perhaps he can cause limit break in the non-Abyssal Exalted.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

I think before you start writing a charmset it'd be useful to take a look at the conceptual ground Isidoros and Szoreny share with other Yozi and ask yourself how they do things differently. How does Szoreny's mimicry differ from the Ebon Dragon's? How does Szoreny's intelligence differ from SWLIHN's? How does Isidoros' strength and will differ from Malfeas'? How does Isidoros' antagonism differ from the Ebon Dragon's, or even Szoreny's?

I also think Riklurt's charmset was incredible and it's such a shame I can't find it anywhere! The only Charms I can remember are Stolen Beauty Mask and Cracked Mind Insight - Stolen Beauty Mask basically made you as pretty as the prettiest person in the room +1 and Cracked Mind Insight allowed you to have multiple minds struggling to out-think each other. As far as I've read, Szoreny is all about rivalry. Where Isidoros' rivalry is about defying all odds and coming out on top through sheer force of will, Szoreny's rivalry is about challenging your rivals to outdo you and then coming out on top because Everything You Can Do I Can Do Better. Szoreny can't help but bring out the best in people - he does this so he can know he's outdone their best efforts.

Where Malfeas punishes opponents who defy his orders, as if their submission were owed to him, Isidoros defies his opponents and asserts his impossible will and self-mastery - where Malfeas is authoritarian, Isidoros is distinctly anti-authoritarian. Where the Ebon Dragon thrives on antagonism, Isidoros is complete in himself. This is just a beginning, but I think you can learn a lot by comparing the Yozi with each other.

Comment

I think it'd be cool for Szoreny to do something taking off of the Socratic Method, but instead of asking questions, he puts up crystal-clear reflections of what he/the person in question doesn't like about them, making them want to change it. Or teaching by reflecting the worst aspects of what the teaching is trying to overcome. In general, he just seems ripe for Trickster Archetype stuff.

Glorious Echeladder Ascension Technique - Forum Topic

"Look, sometimes you just are in the mood to play the divinely empowered champion of the God of Farts. Mechanically optimized play is not the only way to enjoy playing your character." -Wise Old Guru

Comment

I was thinking of an Isidoros reroll charm that can be used on other people. You flip the table over and gather the dice from wherever they are on the floor, and whatever face they show is their new value. If you can't find some of the dice, they count as simple failures.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lidless Eye That Sees View Post
                            Szoreny is kinda hard to get a handle on because ED has already taken alot of the possible mimicry charms, my take on szoreny is that he actually admires the talents he sees and copies, and when you no longer fit his perfect image of you? he destroys you.
                            Originally posted by spigot View Post
                            I think before you start writing a charmset it'd be useful to take a look at the conceptual ground Isidoros and Szoreny share with other Yozi and ask yourself how they do things differently. How does Szoreny's mimicry differ from the Ebon Dragon's? How does Szoreny's intelligence differ from SWLIHN's? How does Isidoros' strength and will differ from Malfeas'? How does Isidoros' antagonism differ from the Ebon Dragon's, or even Szoreny's?
                            Of Szoreny
                            Once, in a silver forest of Zen-mu, a boar met his shadow. "I have torn this country apart to find one like myself, but I am everywhere unequaled. If you think your meager imitation makes you worthy of my image, then let us test your strength!"

The cowardly shadowed coiled around a tree and hissed, "If we fight, you'll lose. There is nothing you can achieve that I cannot ruin."

The forest considered the two opponents. Their advantages were apparent, but so were their flaws. What a waste, the forest thought. I could do so much more with such talents. But it was too prudent to voice its opinion aloud. Turning its mirrored leaves toward the rivals, it showed each a reflection of itself - not a perfect reflection, but a
                            perfected one. The shadow quailed, recognizing a glory that a hollow creature like itself could never achieve. It slithered away, dreams of tarnishing the mirror already forming in its mind. The boar danced with joy, for the mirror showed everything he already believed himself to be. Here, at last, was one truly worthy to challenge him.

Here are the two excellencies I had stored away for these two.

Isidoros
                            The Black Boar the Twists the Sky is boisterous, stubborn and competitive. He accepts no imitation. Given to impulsive and foolhardy acts of bravado, he always seeks out the greatest challenge to best prove his strength. Even if he loses, he holds no grudges, for each reckless failure only serves to make his inevitable victory more impressive.

The very embodiment of the unstoppable force, he tramples all opposition and crashes through obstacles with ease. He is unwavering in his pursuit of happiness. Destroying what holds him back and breaking down barriers, he is a revolutionary entity who makes progress for the sake of progressing and cares little for the senseless destruction and anarchy that follows in his wake. This Charm aids in any act of flagrant insubordination to any authority which seeks to constrain the character’s behavior and any act which assists the character in satisfying his primal desires, such as eating or having sex. It cannot be used to aid any authority unless the will of that authority aligns favorably with the character’s Motivation or Urge or bribes the character an agreeable reward. While he may be a rebel, Isidoros is also narcissistic enough to put aside those tendencies so long as the regime keeps him satisfied.

Szoreny
                            The Silver Forest is long-suffering, selflessly considerate, and patient. He understands others and knows them better than they know themselves. He idealizes and idolizes everyone who gazes into his mirrors. At first, he seeks to be whatever they want him to be and telling them what they want to hear. He flatters them, reflecting every desire, and keeping them coming back for more. In time, he exactly duplicates the object of his obsession and seeks to subtly replace them. Finally, after careful consideration, he sees hidden flaws and exaggerates every failing, poisoning the relationship. He then seeks to beat them at their own game. He does exactly what they would have done and is always one step ahead.

Szoreny challenges others and teaches by example. He thrives on such rivalries and cycles of role reversals. This Excellency may be used to deflect unwanted attention elsewhere as well as to exploit the vanity of others. Ultimately reactionary, this Charm cannot be used to assist or oppose another being unless the character has first succeeded on a Read Motivation action against that being, except in self-defense. Read Motivation actions may always benefit from this Charm.

Comment

So two infernals that favor isidoros and szoreny, respectively would be like the unstoppable force vs the immovable object if they fought?

Comment

Working...
                              X