Exalted Media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jen View Post
    Abyssal (a Jiang-Shi AKA Chinese Zombie) vs Abyssal (a Half-Ghosted Gardener)

I love how the Jiang-Shi movement is both fluid and stiff at the same time. Hmmmm, never realized those "Allow you to deal and parry Lethal damage with your bare-hands" power in most MA Form look so awesome in motion.

There was a PHENOMENAL new Jiang-Shi movie that came out last year called Rigor Mortis (Even stars a bunch of the actors from Spooky Encounters and Mr Vampire!).
    It trades the usual physical comedy with a horror touch of the genre for a much more cloying, oppressive, pure horror tone, but does it AMAZINGLY.

And then for just for other great Exalted media, one I shared in a different thread, is the new Monkey King that came out just a few weeks ago in China.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

RWBY - May as well be a First Age Training Camp... Or Exalted Modernish.

Comment

Originally posted by The Perfect View Post
        The Fate series is very good for getting an image of Exalted combat, especially when it comes to artifacts and Evocations.
        For some reason, your embeds are not working for me. I had to dig the urls out via the quote function to see more than the thumbnail image.

If you want to play Thomas Edison, you'd better be up to the task of carrying all of civilization through the Renaissance and Industrial Revolution, while the Sidereals and Dragon-Blooded are shooting at you.

Comment

Weird. I am not sure how to fix that!

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
            I remember suggesting this in the last thread, and I'll promote it again: Jade Empire. It's not Bioware's most polished game, but it's well written, the Wuxia aesthetics are great, and I haven't played any other game that did magical martial arts so well.
            The one and only reason I would disagree with using Jade Empire as inspiration is because the story vests absolute moral rightness in heaven and going against heaven's will is automatically evil to the point where you can't be Closed Fist without being a crazy-stupid-evil ancient Chinese Sith Lord. That might work for ancient China, but it doesn't work so well for Exalted. In general though I would absolutely recommend it.
            Last edited by HK-87; 03-04-2014, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Shadow of the Colossus

I just beat the HD version and once again I am reminded how glorious this game is, and how its one of the finest examples of a story that could take place in Creation. Wanderer seems like a good fit for Solar at first, but probably would work even better as an Abyssal as he uses a Title rather then a name, seems damned, and starts to develop enhanced vitality due to Abyssal powers. The game is actually the finest example a Soul hierarchy, their connection to a Primordial, and their abstraction from the Primordial as they become Hekatonhires. At first I was thinking Dormin would be a Neverborn, but just now I think maybe it would work as a situation where a Primordial perhaps rendered of all its souls and kept in that limbo state due to ritualistically fettering its souls as Hekatonhires.

Its a fine example of the moral ambiguity of Exalted's setting, and the wonders of ambiguous legendary story telling. And in 3rd ed you could really experiment with the system such as making Wanderer or Mono unique beings, using the Exigent rules. I always wanted to make Exalted Characters that were Primordial's reincarnated into human flesh.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                I remember suggesting this in the last thread, and I'll promote it again: Jade Empire. It's not Bioware's most polished game, but it's well written, the Wuxia aesthetics are great, and I haven't played any other game that did magical martial arts so well.
                Other than the usual complaints about it being too short, I felt that Jade Empire wasn't much fun to play. There is a serious problem when Dynasty Warriors has richer gameplay, not to mention that Jade Empire doesn't have the flashiness to match the gut-based appeal of power-bombing absolutely everyone as Ding Feng.

I also felt that it wasn't wuxia enough, but that's a personal opinion.

Originally posted by HK-87 View Post
                The one and only reason I would disagree with using Jade Empire as inspiration is because the story vests absolute moral rightness in heaven and going against heaven's will is automatically evil to the point where you can't be Closed Fist without being a crazy-stupid-evil ancient Chinese Sith Lord. That might work for ancient China, but it doesn't work so well for Exalted. In general though I would absolutely recommend it.
                Chinese cynicism with the divine is kind of a thing.

There is a sense that Heaven's will is for the better, but there's no promise of sunshine and rainbows for all individuals out there. You can fill literal libraries with stories about the people who end up suffering because of their opposition to something that can be construed as Heaven's will. Furthermore, consider the example of the Four Classics. Journey to the West is stuffed with corrupt bureaucrats from start to finish, while Romance of the Three Kingdoms shows that Heaven's will is inevitable, no matter how hard humans might strive against it.

That said, I'm not a fan of the Open Palm/Closed Fist split.

Comment

Originally posted by Creticus View Post
                  Chinese cynicism with the divine is kind of a thing.
                  It is a thing, but that doesn't make it good Exalted inspiration. When a god turns up his nose at you and says that human suffering in case XYZ is necessary and he's a god who knows better than you, you puny mortal, he might be right but it's much more likely that he's just protecting his cozy spot in the bureaucracy and the appropriate response is Heaven Thunder Hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by HK-87 View Post
                    It is a thing, but that doesn't make it good Exalted inspiration. When a god turns up his nose at you and says that human suffering in case XYZ is necessary and he's a god who knows better than you, you puny mortal, he might be right but it's much more likely that he's just protecting his cozy spot in the bureaucracy and the appropriate response is Heaven Thunder Hammer.
                    You misread me - the Chinese do not believe the members of their pantheon to be incorruptible pillars of perfection. It is telling that a number of said deities are appeased using much the same methods used to appease officials in charge of the appeaser.

Comment

The Second book of the Stormlight Archive came out today. This is Brandon Sanderson's Epic Fantasy series and it is full of people inheriting the powers of ancient knights, societies full of intrigue and conflict, magic powered armor, a war fought on the tops of cracked plateaus over the hearts of giant monsters, mystic swords which can cut through anything (including the soul) and can be summoned to the hand of their owner, hurricanes that sweep over the entire continent around once a week, and lots lots more.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Comment

The Boondocks for those people who like their fighting scene a little more ground in reality rather than "Taste my RAINBOW Storm of Death Laser!!!!". And I definitely gonna name my Sidereal Killer Kung-fu Wolf Bitch.

Last edited by Jen; 03-05-2014, 11:15 AM.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

Solar Brawl in action against a bunch of Infernals, in a....less-than-serious, shall we say, campaign.

("Finally! A boss fight!")
                          Last edited by Elemental; 03-05-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

Throne is Exalted as fuck. Very, very Infernal. Throne is basically Exalted Hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Solar View Post

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

Throne is Exalted as fuck. Very, very Infernal. Throne is basically Exalted Hell.
                              Thank you for this! This looks quite promising!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Started watching Fairy Tail because of a thread on this forum from awhile ago. It's generally good Exalted inspiration, though it has its moments of 'I am embarrassed to be watching this.'

Comment

Working...
                                X