X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chejop Kejak
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bejazeus View Post
    The Stormlight archive series by Brandon Sanderson. The second book is due out next month and the series has a very cool setting with civilisation fallen from the First Age equivelant and some characters who are pretty much Exalts coming into their powers.
    Sanderson's novel Warbreaker also has a very Exalted feel to it, with people being endowed with godlike power and having to sort out the moral implications themselves, while his Mistborn Trilogy deals with using supernatural means to fight an entrenched and very horrifying empire (I view it as ideal Deathlord inspiration) which is just too massive to attack head-on no matter how great your power, while also trying to piece together the mysteries of the past to understand how this happened.

I would, honestly, recommend either of those over the Stormlight Archive, since they are a standalone novel and a trilogy, respectively, and not the first two thousand-page-long entries in a series expected to span ten books coming out over the next thirteen years.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• AnubisXy
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Jen View Post
      A TCD of Oramus fighting a Solar ?

Man, I wish I have the ability to wack people I don't like with a Stop sign too,
      You can do that as an Air Aspect...

*EDIT*

I always want a 3D version of Perfect Cherry Blossom and now my wish has been granted~
      Well, that was probably the coolest Youtube video I've seen this year. Think I will watch the other ones he's made.

The problem with Tohou is that I have no clue how I would go about describing that stuff without coming off as kind of a tool.

"There's a Class 10 Hurricane coming at you. And all the rain is made out of butterflies, flower petals and DEATH. If even a drop of that touches you, you die. And that thing is flying at you in all it's rainbow colored glory."

"Alright, you dodge the wave of butterflies. Now there's a wave of giant fucking blue spheres each one twice the size of your body. There's like, I dunno. a hundred of them. They're not as fast, but they're still hard to dodge."

"Now the enemy starts shooting laser beams, giant pink laser... what? Hey, where are you going? Don't tell me that's bullshit. Get back here and dodge those laser beams of death."
      Last edited by AnubisXy; 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Kazorh
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Chejop Kejak View Post
        Sanderson's novel Warbreaker also has a very Exalted feel to it, with people being endowed with godlike power and having to sort out the moral implications themselves...
        The godlike power of the Returned isn't actually all that godlike (unless you're the God-King), not Exalted-level certainly, but it does explore a society with people who have what is considered divine authority.

Comment

• Winged Cat
          • Nov 2013

When I saw this thread title, for a moment I thought it was about media that had become Exalted - i.e., they started out mortal-grade then got a lot better.

Comment

• Jen
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
            Well, that was probably the coolest Youtube video I've seen this year. Think I will watch the other ones he's made.

The problem with Tohou is that I have no clue how I would go about describing that stuff without coming off as kind of a tool.

"There's a Class 10 Hurricane coming at you. And all the rain is made out of butterflies, flower petals and DEATH. If even a drop of that touches you, you die. And that thing is flying at you in all it's rainbow colored glory."

"Alright, you dodge the wave of butterflies. Now there's a wave of giant fucking blue spheres each one twice the size of your body. There's like, I dunno. a hundred of them. They're not as fast, but they're still hard to dodge."

"Now the enemy starts shooting laser beams, giant pink laser... what? Hey, where are you going? Don't tell me that's bullshit. Get back here and dodge those laser beams of death."
            You could just make the danmaku charm fluff something like Self as Cyclone Stance or Thousand Wounds Feinting, you can unleash a shit load of projects as stunning but mechanically your flurry still have a finity number of attack.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

• Chejop Kejak
              • Feb 2014

And, hey, if you're playing 2E, taking 2-8 insta kill attacks per turn is the standard order of business, anyway. Bring in something like Lightspeed Body Dynamics, and you've even already got rules for Grazing.

The aesthetics of the thing are a lot more laserey than I like my Exalted, but there's lots of people who roll that way. And an endless pattern of powerful, shifting spheres sure seems like a thing that SOME Exalted antagonists might use. Perhaps ones who reside within their own cognomen, or servitors of same.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

• Crumplepunch
                • Jan 2014

Here's how most mixed games will play out.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

• Dezeroth
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Ryumaru View Post
                  I have extolled the virtues (or would that be Virtues?) of a particular series repeatedly in a chat I'm a part of, mostly because it friggin' deserves it. My metaphorical throat is hoarse from shouting about how good this series is for Exalted inspiration, so I'm just going to tell everyone here: Go to Crunchryoll right now, and search for "Magi: Labyrinth of Magic". TELL ME THIS ISN'T FRIGGIN' EXALTED I DARE YOU
                  That is absolutely what I want when I build a manse

for those that haven't seen it here is a clip

Last edited by Dezeroth; 02-28-2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Dezeroth
                    • Nov 2013

this makes me think of massive wars in exalted with lots of artifacts

Last edited by Dezeroth; 02-28-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Jen
                      • Nov 2013

Abyssal (a Jiang-Shi AKA Chinese Zombie) vs Abyssal (a Half-Ghosted Gardener)

I love how the Jiang-Shi movement is both fluid and stiff at the same time. Hmmmm, never realized those "Allow you to deal and parry Lethal damage with your bare-hands" power in most MA Form look so awesome in motion.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

• The Perfect
                        • Mar 2014

The Fate series is very good for getting an image of Exalted combat, especially when it comes to artifacts and Evocations. Here's Solar Archery and a wicked flood Evocation vs Melee:

And here's some sort of awesomely overpowered Artifact 5 Evocation used to wipe out an army:

Comment

• Isator Levi
                          • Nov 2013

Abyssal (a Jiang-Shi AKA Chinese Zombie) vs Abyssal (a Half-Ghosted Gardener)
                          WHY CAN I ONLY LIKE THIS ONCE?!?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• finch181
                            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by The Perfect View Post
                            The Fate series is very good for getting an image of Exalted combat...
                            How the hell did I not know that fate/prototype had an OVA? (and why do none of the NPs in the final product look that radical?)

Comment

• The Perfect
                              • Mar 2014

It's not a full OVA, IIRC. It's only twelve or so minutes long. But yeah the designs are awesome. I like Proto!Gil more than the official one, aesthetically.

Comment

• semicasual
                                • Nov 2013

I remember suggesting this in the last thread, and I'll promote it again: Jade Empire. It's not Bioware's most polished game, but it's well written, the Wuxia aesthetics are great, and I haven't played any other game that did magical martial arts so well.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Working...