Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forms of Magic other then Sorcery and Necromancy

So just like that.

1) Considering that there are already two distinct systems of magic at the very least, why couldn't there be more?
    *well, also there is Grace Magic, but it is very different and charismatic thing in and of itself*

2) What would be the consequences of taking up those studies of essence manipulation? Same as with canonical ones - directly cutting off ways to develop other magics, following common trope of "not been able to learn incompatible martial arts"; or probably hindering subsequent progress of magic practice - adding additional XP cost of learning new spells based on the number of Magic Systems unlocked by user; or something else completely - not even troubling perhaps?

3) Also, all spoilers on new edition's sorcery with gathering external world essence just cry to me of "Onepower" from "Wheel of Time" and Warhammer's "Winds of magic". So I won't be surprised at all to see some kind of variation of Angreals and Sa'angreals - I probably would be amazed to not see any. And it drives me to this thought: "what kind of thing should describe character's aptitude and mastery of manipulating essence for such ends?" Cause, I don't think that Occult ability covers it like that and other obvious alternative - Essence trait - defines inner workings of being and its potential. Maybe there is a need for some specific synthetic skill of "essence manipulation" unlocking only after getting access to Sorcery and working with such magics only? Or some other way?

And as I am the one to start this topic, I should present a few takes on it of my own.

Elemental Mastery

Yeah, just like in Avatar or FMA - extend your essence outside and take a hold of physical elements of Creation. I can totally see Dragon-Bloods developing this kind of discipline in response to Solars discovering Sorcery or after ending of the Usurpation, when it was their golden time. Perhaps there might be at least two Circles for this practice - first giving access to main five elements; second allowing manipulation of derivative and composed elements, like metal, glass, ice, etc; and third... should be something like that all BIG and luminous Avatar-mode or operation of elements on abstract level as metaphors? System should be based around "Element initiation" charms, representing access to particular elements and spells working as distinct ways to manipulate them, probably.

Runic magic

Well, you know, those fancy concepts of letters and words being so full of senses and meanings that they weight too heavy on the world and warp the reality itself. Seems pretty well aligned with Exalted stuff.

Battle Magic

Not just aggressive spells for fight, but form of simplified essence weaving with limited number of effects solely for combat use, like shielding, damaging, suppressing, etc. In compensation it should be truly fast. Something along the lines of Kido from Bleach. It seems pretty reasonable for mortal essence users from current exalted editions.

Wyld magic

Yeah, I think there must be magic of operation chaos energies from "Creation perspective", not just some charms.

That is kind of what I'm hoping this (http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...lers-sometimes) is about.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

The problem with this, as I see it, is how you make it all thematically distinct. I mean, Sorcery is vague enough as it is.

Avatar-style bending? Use only elemental spells, follow the Salinan school of philosophy - most spells are created by studying and embracing nature.

Runic Magic? Also completely possible - that's what Silurian Symbology is all about; deciphering the graphic representations of the concepts that make up reality, thus enabling (relatively) quick and easy substitution leading to things like Death of Golden Butterflies or Lightning Kraken.

Battle Magic... Sounds a lot more like a esoteric-yet-straightforward Martial Art to me. Quick Summary; Sorcery (AKA "True Magic") is direct reshaping of Reality to your will, using Transcendent understanding of the nature of Reality and Self. It was given to the Exalted by the Yozis, in one of their first plans to escape - it should come as no surprise that the Ebon Dragon was behind it. Supernatural Martial Arts, on the other hand, involves mastering your essence, training with it until you can use it in unnatural ways. It grew out of mundane martial arts, the Exalted practitioners realising that they could control, train and master their Animas as well as their bodies.

Wyld Magic? That's... Pretty much what Sorcery is. There's literally no reason why you couldn't make a spell that would let you pull off "Wyld-Shaping" inside Creation proper - the tricky bit is to set the scope and cost to reasonable levels, so as to not be too blatant a rip-off of the Solar Charm. Which I still maintain should have been a spell in the first place.

You even missed one; Devonian Sorcery is all about SCIENCE! It's behind all the nifty magitech they had in the First Age, such as essence cannons, skyships, power armour and cache eggs... Which are really just one stunt and a mind control charm away from being pokeballs. Think of the possibilities!
      Last edited by Lord Sia; 02-17-2014, 02:18 PM.

Aretii: "As one of the players described it, 'After initiation, it was actually a relief seeing who had eyepatches or bandaged hands - you know what they sacrificed, instead of wondering what bits people cut out of their own souls to gain power.'"

Comment

SEIZON SENRYAKU!

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Vancomancy!

Comment

MissMaddy, how could you forget about the VANCIAN magic system?

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how that video relates to this topic AT ALL. I mean, I'm not even sure what it IS, beyond some sort of Anime opening/henshin sequence?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylverdyne View Post
                I'm still trying to figure out how that video relates to this topic AT ALL. I mean, I'm not even sure what it IS, beyond some sort of Anime opening/henshin sequence?

I give it 4/10 odds that Vance is referencing something about 3e Sorcery with that video that would be hilarious with context.

Comment

Originally posted by Nervaqus987 View Post
                  I give it 4/10 odds that Vance is referencing something about 3e Sorcery with that video that would be hilarious with context.
                  He has learned much from Holden in the Art of the Troll.

*suspects he will soon learn if this is an extant Art of the Dress parody, should a knowledgeable brony pass by*

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
                  Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
                  The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
                  Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaius View Post
                    He has learned much from Holden in the Art of the Troll.

*suspects he will soon learn if this is an extant Art of the Dress parody, should a knowledgeable brony pass by*
                    No, this is from Mawaru Penguindrum.

After consulting a friend who has watched it regarding the scene, my best guess is as follows:

"Uh... maybe... Liminals...? ...Maybe?"

Once, there was a maiden... who spent all her time on the internet.
                    "Someone out there is WRONG," she said.
                    So she tossed a noose made of golden light... and strangled her opponent.
                    Both of them died alone.
                    "Love is for football players and cheerleaders," her obituary said.

Comment

Originally posted by notthepenguins View Post
                      No, this is from Mawaru Penguindrum.

After consulting a friend who has watched it regarding the scene, my best guess is as follows:

"Uh... maybe... Liminals...? ...Maybe?"
                      Ah. I'd actually meant in an off-topic fashion whether "Art of the Troll" was an extant "Art of the Dress" parody. ^_^o

Still! Thank you. Glad to have the series named and a supposition of the scene's contextual meaning from someone with better knowledge of the show than me.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
                      Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
                      The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
                      Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

That video feels like a Raksha to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                          "Listen up, you low-lifes who will never amount to anything."

Comment

Originally posted by Gaius View Post
                            Still! Thank you. Glad to have the series named and a supposition of the scene's contextual meaning from someone with better knowledge of the show than me.
                            Don't get me wrong, this was with about two minutes of discussion with a friend who has actually seen it (I have not), and me answering a handful of his questions about Exalted. As guesses go, it's... not very useful.

Once, there was a maiden... who spent all her time on the internet.
                            "Someone out there is WRONG," she said.
                            So she tossed a noose made of golden light... and strangled her opponent.
                            Both of them died alone.
                            "Love is for football players and cheerleaders," her obituary said.

Comment

In another thread, TDO* was involved in a short discussion about Magical Girl Transformation (or a "Pulp Sorceress" equivalent for a not-particularly-silly Exalted game) as a paradigm for the use of sorcery, and commented about how he figured out how to implement it in EX3. He also said it was not something likely to show up in the Core Book, but that he was holding onto the idea.

I'm also pretty sure he referred to it as Magical Girl Transformation/Seizon Senryaku, linking to the same clip as he linked above.

EDIT: Also, this fantastic quote:

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                              Mawaru Penguindrum is a show that reels you in with the bait of "haha what the fuck this is so weird" to set you up for a soul-breaking sucker punch to the genitalia of your heart. I highly recommend it!

*I should probably stop with that. Especially once EX3 is finally here, calling him that will be quite confusing for the newly arrived fans, now that he goes by his actual name...

Last edited by danelsan; 02-03-2014, 07:34 AM.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Working...
                              X