No announcement yet.

Your Headcanon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JOureny to the West exists as a text in the Realm, of popular but disputed nature. The "demons" are all understood to be Lunar Anathema, the journey goes from the Realm to Parsaad back to the Realm(China->India-> China), and the various famous Immaculates play the role of the various Bodhistattvas, with the Dragons as the Buddha.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Who would be a Monkey King brave enough to piss on Pasiap's finger?

But sexually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
        JOureny to the West exists as a text in the Realm, of popular but disputed nature. The "demons" are all understood to be Lunar Anathema, the journey goes from the Realm to Parsaad back to the Realm(China->India-> China), and the various famous Immaculates play the role of the various Bodhistattvas, with the Dragons as the Buddha.

So in your version of the setting, is the Pure Way Immaculate teachings seen as closer to original scripture, and the Realm is the divergence over time, instead of the other way around?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

So in your version of the setting, is the Pure Way Immaculate teachings seen as closer to original scripture, and the Realm is the divergence over time, instead of the other way around?
          Those who enjoy the tale either believe the Pure Way is correct, or that the immaculate faith started in parsaad and was then corrupted over time into the pure way.

Comment

• UCS did not become addicted to the Games of Divinity, Luna and the Maidens convinced Him to ignore Creation and play instead. During the end of the First Age where Solar atrocities were at their most heinous, Sol felt Himself torn between his promise to leave Creation to the Exalted, and His desire to right wrongs. Seeing that he would either tear Himself apart, or Creation in a wrathful war against His own children, the other Incarnae came up with a plan. They convinced Sol to turn away from the world, and spend time unwinding with the Games. Knowing their addictive power, they kept Him from noticing the state of Creation, even through the Usurpation. The Maidens did not endorse the Great Prophecy, or the Usurpation, but could not risk reacting to them, lest Sol discover the miserable state of Creation. Now, though, He has finally torn His vision back to the world, and the Solars are returning. Only time will tell if they live to disappoint Him again.

Comment

• I tend to portray 'modern' Creation as a setting much like the real world Mediterranean circa AD700 or so, with the exception of it was the Eastern Roman Empire (Lookshy in the 'modern day', the River Province during the Shogunate) that collapsed, while the Western Roman Empire (The Realm in the 'modern day', the Shogunate during, well, the Shogunate) experienced a resurgence.

Comment

• Parad, The God of Inherited Might having purview of supernatural-blooded tends to sire godbloods rather occasionally in hope to help expand his purview. He doesn't go crazy with it and tries to carefully plan where and when to have children but tries still makes sure that they can be successful and start families.
                They are both children and experiments to him, attempts to expand his purview and his influence.
                When his god-blooded have children they have a higher chance of inheriting beneficial traits from either parent.

It's a slow process but it's a long game that allows his power to expand if ever so slightly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                  JOureny to the West exists as a text in the Realm, of popular but disputed nature. The "demons" are all understood to be Lunar Anathema, the journey goes from the Realm to Parsaad back to the Realm(China->India-> China), and the various famous Immaculates play the role of the various Bodhistattvas, with the Dragons as the Buddha.
                  Wait does this mean that Realm literary tradition has a Sun Wukong figure who either isn’t Lunar Anthema, or is a Lunar Anathema who was somehow enlightened to serve the Dragons?

I suppose the official interpretation would make the character a Beastman? Lowly of unholy origin but capable of righting his soul with the Dragons through service to the Dragon-Blooded (the Monk)?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Wait does this mean that Realm literary tradition has a Sun Wukong figure who either isn’t Lunar Anthema, or is a Lunar Anathema who was somehow enlightened to serve the Dragons?

I suppose the official interpretation would make the character a Beastman? Lowly of unholy origin but capable of righting his soul with the Dragons through service to the Dragon-Blooded (the Monk)?

I was envisioning straight anathema (he eats people, makes war on heaven, is arrogant and ill-tempered), who was redeemed because of extrenuating circumstances(bringing the Dragons scrolls). He's a demon, and has a restraint for a reason. The official interpertation (I imagine it mainly as a popular tale, so not considered more than a curiosity by the educated lore masters) has that the Monk was one of the Dragons, and you know, if more lunars would except pilgrimages with torture head bands, they'd learn restraint or something. Alterantively, he might be interpeted as another type of demon (academically, a 2nd or 3rd circle protogenitor to the Blood Apes).

It's kinda like how folk traditions have demons or vampires that are plenty nice, but if you asked a priest, that was a no-no. (Just read a balkans story, I think Bulgarian, were God asked to eat a kid).

Comment

• There is a Dark Body of Water hidden at the end of a perilous journey somewhere in every Direction. They all lead to the same great lake with a giant reflection of the Creation on it. It's lit by an eternally dark dim blue glow coming from the depths. Its waters a sheet of satin black, and are as troubled as a raging cold inferno, or as calm as a leaf caught still in elevation. This depends on the state of your soul because of the giant life or death personal struggle you just survived before finding yourself at its borders. You glimpse your reflection on it for a fleeting moment. If you can prove your mettle, cunning and wisdom by by making it this far, you are rewarded by a cold mercurial stone washing off to the shore. And it houses your Lunar Exaltation.

Comment

• There are many more Dragon-Blooded than is apparently typically portrayed, and they breed more prolifically.

(Posted here, as a better place than the Neomah fertility thread)

A small-to-middle sized Threshold nation, about the size of an average USA state, would have several hundred able-bodied adult Terrestrials. Coming up behind them would be several thousand children who have or will take the Second Breath.

Of the adults, a good half would be non-adventurous or semi-adventurous - not everybody has martial interest. Some would take up business or trade. Some would get caught up in the dramas of local gods. Some would stay with their family or clan as elders, shamans, healers, or small heroes or bullies uninterested in the world beyond their border.

Of the other half, many would be drawn to trouble. I imagine those with a dot of Destiny filling this role. They would define the reach of civilization - any place more than a day's ride from the nearest Terrestrial's stomping grounds would be exceedingly dangerous to settle or pass through.

Many of the rest would be drawn to cities, trade caravans, or the seas.

Some would decline to take up the path open to them and simply walk away - either taking up a new and quiet life elsewhere or going walkabout on a personal journey through the lands of gods.

The few remaining would form up Circles and combine their power to change the world.

[ My rationale here is inspiration from my own home state. We have over 150 counties, which were originally drawn up so that anyone could reach their county seat and return home with one day's horse ride. We weren't exactly frontier any more by then, but the reasoning remains - If a nation only has a dozen DBs, they'd almost never reach where they were needed in time, nor would they be able to keep up with all the needs of a dangerous frontier land. So, I have them filling the role of Count (from which County is derived) or Sheriff in an informal way. Also, a lot of people never pursue their potential. A person has to decide to answer a calling, or decide to ignore it. So there would be different answers to the question of what you'd do with an Exaltation. I'd tend to follow a Pareto or 80/20 rule for how many of any group embrace a Destiny. ]

Of the Exalted or to-be-Exalted children in this Threshold nation, about half would be expected to not survive their first, or first few, supernatural encounters. Without training and guidance, they would be winging it when they step into a battle. Having little knowledge of their own power or of whatever they'd be fighting, they'd be at a great disadvantage.

Some number of the rest would be killed, betrayed, or driven away by an older local DB. Why let competition grow up, when you can cut it down young?

Some number would be picked up by the agents of the Realm, or the Guild.

The rest would grow into adulthood and replenish the able-bodied adult DB population, more or less depending on the overall Destiny of the nation.

The DB population in the Realm is somewhat similar. As there isn't a frontier or hinterland, practically none would go their own way or go undetected.

The adult numbers would be worn down somewhat by constant deployment of the Legions, and by Immaculate mission work into dangerous territory.

Up until the disappearance of Her Redness, the survivors would still be deployed far and wide, keeping the density of able-bodied adult DBs relatively low - and their ability to conspire and network limited. With the recall of the Legions, the Blessed Isle would have seen a huge increase in the relative number of DBs - probably more than most people ever imagined existed.

Exalted or Exalted-to-be children in the Realm would be much more likely to benefit from training and mentoring, so their tendency to survive early encounters would be greatly improved.

They would suffer some extra casualties from fighting among Houses. Hot-headed Exalted teeners would have little trouble finding Montague and Capulet passions to stoke, or battles to fight. (Here, I imagine some Houses of the Realm would worry something was wrong with Exalted teens who didn't get into duels and brawls with their rivals...)

Some of them, naive and inexperienced, would face their first deployment under a DragonLord of a rival house. This could lead to tragic disappearances, impossible "tests" of their skill, or outright murder. The latter, moreso, after the disappearance of the Empress.

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• My favorite headcanon is that the Great Curse isn't actually a thing, it's just a narrative metaphor for the dangers of power wielded without wisdom. In that sense many of the major players in the setting suffer from it or suffered it previously, such as the Primordials, and if a Solar decides to burn down an orphanage it's entirely because of his own character flaws, not some magic spell forcing him to.

Comment

• You say that like it has to be one of those two things, instead of it being possible for the reason to be either, neither, or both. The Great Curse wouldn't do anything to a person who possesses no character flaws.

As for me, my headcanon is that there's a place in the River Province where a battle took place a couple of generations ago, and a horrible weapon was deployed that turned the entire river to stone, and all the creatures in it. A sorcerer is assembling work crews to mine the river for the stone fish as part of a working.
                            Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-12-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                              You say that like it has to be one of those two things, instead of it being possible for the reason to be either, neither, or both. The Great Curse wouldn't do anything to a person who possesses no character flaws.

As for me, my headcanon is that there's a place in the River Province where a battle took place a couple of generations ago, and a horrible weapon was deployed that turned the entire river to stone, and all the creatures in it. A sorcerer is assembling work crews to mine the river for the stone fish as part of a working.
                              Have you heard the good word of Iolithae Septimian?

But sexually.

Comment

• My headcanon is that it's perfectly easy to obtain immortality in Creation. I mean, its absurdly simple. Its just a mortal mutation. Just give yourself a mutation of immortality, and you'll live forever, excluding foul play or violence.

Here's the joke.

No exalted, from the beginning of the Second Breathe, has ever managed to give that mutation to them. The mutations fail. Their bodies simply will not change. Any mutation that extends their lives, whether god-granted or whether sorcerously, fails to work. Maybe its a product of exaltation. Maybe its a failsafe to prevent the Exalted from getting too powerful. But anyway, no Exalted can artifically extend their lifespan, save by charms.

I made this headcanon so that in Creation, there would be at least a few hundred year old sorcerers, which you can use as antagonists. Have them grab a few villages to sacrifice for successes/ power, and have your PCs beat them up.

Comment

Working...
                                X