Your Headcanon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    This may be more houserule than headcanon - but Gatway can be played using different Abilities depending on the strategy one uses.

Traditional play was meant to emulate military tactics and uses War. All the most legendary players until Kes were House of Bells graduates often with well established military careers.

Kes’s innovation that turned the game on its head was applying pure mathematics (Lore) to the game instead. How successful this has been is seen by some traditionalists as invalidating the entire point of gateway.
    As Elfive pointed out on the devs thread, this works even better than I first realized. It means traditional players with an Excellency add dice, while Kes’s non-traditional method adds successes. He’s not utterly unbeatable by the MOST skilled traditional players, but his system is way more reliable.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-18-2018, 12:54 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Cloacina is a forbidden goddess that has dwelled in the sewers of Yu-Shan since the earliest days, as the custodian to the Primordials her role involved ridding the city of undesirable elements. Without the Primordials to command her to remove particular undesirable elements she now listens for prayers as an indication that a being has no place in the Celestial City and will drag those individuals into the depths of the city where they are never seen again.

Discreet in her duties, she has passed into legend among the gods becoming a rough equivalent to the Grim Reaper.

Her appearance is concealed beneath black robes that provide no indication of which way she is facing (or indeed if she is even humanoid to be constrained by such notions) she constantly appears to be wet and trails puddles of water as she goes. She never speaks a word but her victims praise her by name in their own tongues.

Comment

• Her victims, that are never seen again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
          Her victims, that are never seen again?
          Yes.

The logical explanation for how she is known of at all is because someone overheard one of her victims, its supposed to have an urban legend/X Files case quality to it rather than "this obviously very real threat lives in Yu-Shan picking gods off and nobody thinks its that important".

Comment

• As I decided applying to actual 3E mechanics to statting up the Empress...

The Scarlet Empress (known, but rarely used, name Rasha) is a Fire Aspect who heavily favors Air Charms.

Her Signatures include

Dodge: Unassailable Body of Fire, Safety Among Enemies
            Presence: Terrifying Fire-Dragon Roar, Spirit-Cultivating Leadership
            Socialize: Wildfire Scandal Revelation, Clear-Eyed Courtier's Scrutiny

Awareness: Eye of Blazing Truth, Dragon's Flaring Nostrils
            Bureaucracy: Seething Firebreak Technique, One Forest Many Trees
            Integrity: Flawless Diamond Heart
            Investigation: Shadow-Immolating Talon, Warrant of Divine Safety
            Lore: Ten Thousand Minds Ablaze, Fulminating Thunderhead Brilliance

Craft: Blazing Dragon-Smith Arete, Ephemeral Form Composition
            Linguistics: Wildfire Words Technique, Rewriting the Truth Technique
            Occult: Smoke Ascends to Heaven, Hundred Devils Whirlwind
            Performance: Immolating Passion Alleluia, Thundering Dragon Proclamation

The High Essence power she achieved at Essence 6 is an upgrade to Sense-Riding Technique that allows her to maintain the connection permanently with an unlimited number of subjects provided they've personally given her an oath to serve as her eyes (she spends rather than commits the motes). The All-Seeing Eye was quite literal, though its members didn't realize it.

Her Control Spells are Flight of the Brilliant Raptor and Travel Without Distance. The garda bird of Flight of the Brilliant Raptor resembles her iconic anima, and manifests as a special effect with many of her spells (for example it swoops around and above her, before she grabs a burning tail feather before vanishing in a flash of light with any companions when she casts Travel Without Distance - ala Dumbledore and Fawkes).

In the Shogunate, she was a Found-Egg who served as head of security/intelligence for a Gen (hence her Favored Abilities indicated above), that was in truth her father's family though he never publicly recognized her as his daughter. With all Contagion-surviving Dragon-Blooded being quickly swept into Legion field service in the face of the Balorian Crusade she was put in the position of a scout, and in that role she discovered the Sword of Creation.

Her Intimacies include...

Defining Principle: Only I can bear the burden of Creation
            Defining Principle: Conflict is eternal, "Peace" is merely conflict checked by conflict
            Defining Tie: Realm (Pride)
            Defining Tie: First Age Secrets (Covetous Desire)

Major Tie: Lookshy (Grudging Respect)
            Major Tie: Chejop Kejak (Wary Resentment)
            Major Tie: Anathema (Jealousy)
            Major Tie: V'neef & Mnemon (Impressed Curiosity)

Minor Tie: Found Eggs (Trust)
            Minor Tie: Ragara (Fear)
            Minor Tie: Oban (Amused Affection)
            Minor Tie: Berit (Disappointment)

Comment

• I haven't statted him up the degree I have the Scarlet Empress, but Chumyo Maheka Dazan is a Wood Aspect, who still heavily favors Earth Charms as befits his Gen. He is Essence 5, but not being 800 years old, he hasn't doubled up on Signature Charms remotely to the degree the Empress has/had.

Dazan is emphatically not a political animal - he's career-military through and through, all his greatest Abilities relate directly to the field and military strategy, not social engineering or commanding presence like the Empress. He's a mercenary traditionalist by political alignment more due to inertia than ideology; his only "agenda" being to do right by the soldiers in the field. Which is exactly why the Gunzota Conspirators like him so much as Chumyo. He has the abiding respect of the Legion soldiers themselves, earned through merit and willingness to sacrifice along side them - not through superhuman force of personality. He doesn't have to directly take part of the political games going on behind the General Staff to be a living barrier against the ambitions of Imperialist or Isolationist factions. Ironically the Gunzota Conspirators having staged one accident for a decapitation coup, make it that much harder for their rivals to do the same, since it will look all the more suspicious happening again. And the soldiers of the 7th Legion will never follow someone they see as the Dazan's usurper/murderer.
              Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-22-2018, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Mortal beings were not meant to live forever, and eventually tire of existence. Gold loses its luster, music becomes wearying instead of uplifting, and food that once tasted sublime grows too familiar. The living stoop under the weight of experience, seeing the same triumphs and mistakes repeated over and over, and beg for the release of Lethe.

This is not so drastic for beings that measure their lifespans in centuries or millennia, such as gods, elementals, or Exalted. For a god, the apple tastes as delicious the hundredth time as it did the first, and the chosen exult in wine, company and song for years at a time. When an Exalt takes the second breath and their being is suffused with essence, senses sharpen and become more vibrant, perception of time slows often, and the world seems wondrous and new. Life seems like one big adventure, as it often does in a mortal's youth.

Increased fulfillment has its own dangers. Spirits and Exalts can easily fall into hedonism, and many beings obtain a greater, rather than lesser, hunger for new experiences to add to their banquet of life. Many are the tales of powerful gods and mighty heroes fallen low and forsaking virtue in the pursuit of sensation.

This is not to say that one of the enduring cannot grow weary of something. Life has its tragedies, and overindulgence is all too easy. Still, an Exalt who seeks to remain positive and practices pleasure in moderation will not easily lose their zest for life before their final waning years.
                Last edited by Prometheus878; 05-23-2018, 03:39 PM.

Mouse monk riding a tiny pig avatar courtesy of the very talented forumite Jen!

Jen's original portrayal of Mouse Monk, featuring some human or other named Tybalt Farwander.

Comment

• Above creation is a vast dome-shaped ocean. This ocean serves a shield from the full glory of the celestial bodies, but over the years has accumulated a number of alien lifeforms--plants that grow in the brilliance of the sun or feed on the energies of the stars, escaped nightmares of the Silver Chair, and more. Being so close to the fate warping stars has resulted in rather single-minded and foucsed creatures that take on the attributes of the nearest star--with the exception of the Mask, who's destruction scarred the creatures that lived there with strange freedom. These alien realms are presided over by their own gods, and the inhabitants often resemble strange fish and cephelapods. City-spheres dating to the first age float here,and rumors of altars to the lost Devil Stars persist. This realm once hosted and communed with beings below frequrently--cultures worshiped them, sorcerers bound them, and their children ruled empires in the west. But the plagues, the fae assault from the heavens, and the strange mood of the stars has caused most to withdraw. For now.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Obviously this might change depending on how different the info in Heirs is and how much I like it...

The 6 members who form the General Staff of the 7th Legion along with the Chumyo are the Taimyos of the four field forces, the admiral of the naval force, and the admiral of the Sky Guard. The last of those is obviously institutional inertia, but thanks in large part of the now-minor Gens that controls the Sky Guard baring the name of Lookshy's foremost founder, reformers have been unable to swap out said Admiral's seat for a more relevant military leader.

The Taimyos of the Home Guard, the Reserve Legion, and the Manse Guard are all members of the Administrative Staff along with the Adjutant-General and the 6 Directors. The bylaws of the General Staff allow in case of a vacancy in a meeting due to Taimyos or Admirals being in the field, the Taimyos of the Home Guard, Reserve Legion, or Manse Guard may be called upon by the Chumyo to form the necessary quorum of a full seven member General Staff. On paper this option does not extend to the Directorate heads, but precedent has been set by past Chumyos in emergency situations to call upon them if they are still unable to form a 7 member General Staff meeting.

The most notable time this occurred was following the Gunzota Incident. The Admiral of the navy, Teresu Kolar, was the only non-present member of the General Staff, and assumed emergency duties as acting-Chumyo; appointing an emergency acting-General Staff from the Taimyos of the Reserve Legion and Manse Guard, as well as the Adjutant-General, and three of the other Directors. Kolar's (initial) term as Chumyo was brief, as he stepped down resuming his position as admiral and General Staff member as soon as the Field Forces and Sky Guard could promote new Taimyos from within and a permanent General Staff resumed, electing the (semi-retired) Taimyo of the Reserve Legion to the more permanent Chumyoship - a position she held for the next 37 years until her death by old age. After that point Kolar's peers would formally elect him Chumyo over his own nay vote. He served dutifully and dourly for the next century, until stepping aside in his old age in the wake of the Battle of Mishaka for the Taimyo of the Second Field Force who commanded the victory, Maheka Dazan (he's still alive living in retirement in a riverside villa deeper in the River Province, built by one of the Merchant Princes of his Gens; Dazan corresponds with him semi-regularly).

Electing or removing a Chumyo requires a four member vote of the General Staff. If there isn't currently a Chumyo, leaving only six members (this is the only situation in which an extra member is not called upon to make a quorum of seven: no Chumyo = six member quorum), there is no procedure for breaking a 3 to 3 tie - that is simply a "no" vote.
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-25-2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• Slight edit to the above to mesh the timeline with the Battle of Mishaka (so Dazan has "only" been Chumyo for 14 years - a relatively short amount of time by the standards of Dragon Blooded heads of government)

Comment

• Theion used to have musicians perform Perfect World for him, back when he was still in charge.

Comment

• Leaning against using "Imperator" as the head of a Gens, because the overt Latin feels out of place in Toyotomi-Sparta. I'm considering using Rōjū instead.

Same reason that while I'm including five representatives of the mortal citizenry on the Administrative Staff, I'm going to call them Ephors and not Tribunes.
                          Last edited by glamourweaver; 05-31-2018, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Leaning against using "Imperator" as the head of a Gens, because the overt Latin feels out of place in Toyotomi-Sparta. I'm considering using Rōjū instead.

Same reason that while I'm including five representatives of the mortal citizenry on the Administrative Staff, I'm going to call them Ephors and not Tribunes.
                            I'm not so against the hodgepodge there, since I think being too strict on the Japan-Greek thing misses some other bits, like their apparently ahving some Korean and Manchu clothing (cheongsams and hanbaks are mentioned) and Southeast Asian-style cooking (lots of peppers). Bit of Latin don't hurt here and there. Gens itself is Latin if I remember right, and many specific DBs have pretty Mandarin-soudning names like Karal Linwei.

It kind of is like how the Realm, while mostly Roman and Chinese, has some other things in there. Satrapy is a Persian idea, and thier navy draws a lot on Imperial British Navy customs.

And stuff.
                            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Craft Houserules

Comment

It just struck me how to divide the five Ephors up...

The Ephor of Sextes Jylis represents mortal farmers/farm-owners

The Ephor of Hesiesh represent mortals who work in and own heavy industry

The Ephor of Mela represents mortal savants and specialized craftsmen

The Ephor of Daana'd represents active duty navy sailors and mortal merchant interests

The Ephor of Pasiap represents active duty soldiers

Only applies to mortal citizens - Helots and Metics have no representation on the Administrative Staff by definition.

Comment

Leaning against using "Imperator" as the head of a Gens, because the overt Latin feels out of place in Toyotomi-Sparta. I'm considering using Rōjū instead.

I nominate kyrios/kyria, the Greek equivalent of the Latin-derived patriarch/matriarch.

A Clutch of Dragons: First Draft pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X