No announcement yet.

Your Headcanon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't quote me on this, as I'm away from my books, but I think the wrinkle is that ghosts can travel along the Traveler's Road… in Creation. Something in its construction causes it to not only lack an Underworld counterpart, but for there to be this non-space where its Underworld counterpart should be. Ghosts in the Underworld either have to find a way into Creation, or go the long way 'round.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Don't quote me on this, as I'm away from my books, but I think the wrinkle is that ghosts can travel along the Traveler's Road… in Creation. Something in its construction causes it to not only lack an Underworld counterpart, but for there to be this non-space where its Underworld counterpart should be. Ghosts in the Underworld either have to find a way into Creation, or go the long way 'round.
      Indeed, CoCD:Underworld established that the Scar was impassable in the Underworld . The issue is that CoCD:Underworld also asserted that the dead could not cross the Traveler's Road in Creation also, as an explaination of why the Bishop was having trouble extending his dominion East.
      Last edited by Greyman; 12-15-2018, 05:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post

Wait, it's that way on purpose? I assumed that whoever wrote that part of Traveler's Road in the Underworld book didn't check to see what The Core or the North had to say about it.
        I can't speak for writer intent, just that there's a pulp fantasy vs realpolitik situation going on there. Especially when you consider that a sizable number of the ghosts in that area are victims of a massive death camp and probably shouldn't be treated like they're orcs.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
        Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
          Are you thinking Gorgon as the weapon?
          I don't believe I had AotC at that point (or at least, hadn't read Gorgon in it yet), but I sure am now.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            Don't quote me on this, as I'm away from my books, but I think the wrinkle is that ghosts can travel along the Traveler's Road… in Creation. Something in its construction causes it to not only lack an Underworld counterpart, but for there to be this non-space where its Underworld counterpart should be. Ghosts in the Underworld either have to find a way into Creation, or go the long way 'round.
            So if a ghost steps onto the road where there is no Shadowland, all is fine. But for shadowlands like Marama's fell, it's an impenetrable barrier?

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
            I can't speak for writer intent, just that there's a pulp fantasy vs realpolitik situation going on there. Especially when you consider that a sizable number of the ghosts in that area are victims of a massive death camp and probably shouldn't be treated like they're orcs.
            So the road is more to keep them separate from the Bishop so they remain victims and the storytelling possibilities there rather than falling into his death cults?

Comment

• The Bull of the North suffers from either Red Rage of Compassion (or maybe Compassionate martyrdom). The reason Yurgen invaded Linowan was because while inspecting some ice walker tribes on the eastern front, they came upon on some suffering refugees who were escaping Linowan aggression which triggered his limit break. It helped that Yurgen was planning to mount an invasion, but he was contemplating striking at the Haslanti or another northern kingdom to grow his empire.

He immediately ordered his empire to strike out at the Haslanti, and by the time he came out of limit break it was too late to reverse course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uknown DarkLord View Post
                So the road is more to keep them separate from the Bishop so they remain victims and the storytelling possibilities there rather than falling into his death cults?
                I'm not sure what the original intent was because Scavenger Sons seemed to want Whitewall's existence being essentially dependent on the Pact and this was before Marama's Fell had an origin or the Deathlords were that powerful.

However.

Later in the book there's a sample Fair Folk noble called Venthara who rules over and protects a town called Snowguard that's located on the trade route on the way to Whitewall. She's pretty cool and a contender for most benevolent fae noble we've ever had (even if that is an extremely low bar).

So, I don't know.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• So, question for head-canoneers.

How do you present Calibration? Any particular features that show up? Any high/lowlights? Any particular tropes or complications?

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Darkstep View Post
                    So, question for head-canoneers.

How do you present Calibration? Any particular features that show up? Any high/lowlights? Any particular tropes or complications?
                    Two quasi-universal beliefs about Calibration in my Creation are : Never stay alone during Calibration and Never travel during Calibration.

Appart from this, celebrations and festivals are often a significant part of Calibration.

In the Twelve Thrones of the Isles, it is a time of feasting and dancing and games, and people spend most of their time in the streets, painted in garrish luminescent colours. Some adorn their bodies with prayers and wishes for the upcoming year.

For the Hasan, it is a time of gathering, and families come back together to tell stories of the past years, sing old epics and weave sacred tapestries. Spilling blood or eating meat during the Five Days is a terrible taboo.

On the Pearly Coast, the custom is to seek those who offended you during the previous year, to present your grievances in public and strike them. In the cities, a simple slap is seen as enough, but in some rural areas, a sound thrashing is given to some in order to settle the offense and go into the new year free of resentment toward others.

On the Island-city of Twin Excellencies, all contracts are voided during Calibration (most importantly marriage). People often use these moments to take lovers outside their marriage, and many adolescents have their first experiences during the festival.

Ultimate Jade-Screened Exalted Scholar, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar
                    THDR : Future Dragon-Blooded campaign, and other links.
                    If you like Ex3, you can support Holden on Patreon!

Comment

So, question for head-canoneers.

My Northern Game has a festival, where the households and nomads spend the five days inside a temprorary building. They light a fire and tell stores, placing statues outside to keep the creatures of the night away. This might chagne soon--the plague of fae that used to come every Calibration was recently ended.

Storyteller Vault Productions: The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol. 2 https://www.storytellersvault.com/m/product/273213 Patreon, with my own games, here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety My folklore research and horror writing blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

• Given half the posts I've seen about folks' ideas regarding Calibration in the past, I was half-expecting a deluge of posts reading, "basically it's if an apocalypse movie started taking place during The Purge." Glad to see your Calibrations are as sane as mine. >.>

Comment

• I actually have been moving towards not having really anything global to it save maybe where the Realm's cultural hegemony influences things. It's metaphysically strange (no moon, bad weather, more ghosts and fey, gods off duty), but how this is interpretted is going to be probably as wide as how in the Aztec Empire they sacrificed a boy to the god of darkness on the winter solstice while at the very same time folks were going to church for Chirstmas in Rome, and yet another spot folks were probably partying it up in Edo.

And stuff.
                          My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Thanks for the replies!

I went with five days of total darkness - no celestial objects at all. That wound up fitting with a couple of story elements I wanted to use: We've had some games in the past where an apocalyptic world-change was triggered by a single completely dark day, so having five of them every year seemed pretty... Exalted. It also let me play up a little foreshadowing of expecting the sun to return.

During that time, the people of Goldenseal partied it up, wearing their best, brightest robes. They had swirling dances down the lanes alongside the canals, and in their squares - a bit like a conga or a square dance, respectively. Lots of fireworks to drive away the darkness. A general party atmosphere. Some ancestors are able to appear as ghosts - mostly ones who are brought by offerings, but this far from the Realm there are instances of some who can appear and walk around on their own. Shadowlands, for what its worth, get especially dangerous, and capable of bridging either world.

Comment

• Creation is not perfectly flat. Rather than having some universal sea-level that's as flat as a table, it's slightly bowed. Just enough so, in fact, as to make height still an advantage for seeing farther, and for concepts like meridians and horizon to exist.

Also, Imperial sea captains seem universally fond of Jarl slouching when receiving guests in their private quarters.

Comment

Creation is not perfectly flat. Rather than having some universal sea-level that's as flat as a table, it's slightly bowed. Just enough so, in fact, as to make height still an advantage for seeing farther, and for concepts like meridians and horizon to exist.
                                Height would still let you see farther, and there would still be effective horizons, in a flat world.

Comment

Working...
                                X