• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erinys
    started a topic Random Name Generator

Random Name Generator

BEHOLD!
    For those cool "word-salad" names that Creationites love so much. Voidstate's name generator has been down for a while, but I found a name generator based on it, which was broken but had the script all laid out. I didn't copy it 100% exactly, I've made some changes and added more vocabulary.

For Dynast names I made this: http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/...php?i=AYsfB34A
    and I also found this: http://tobias.bindslet.dk/names/index.php

Phonetic names: http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/...php?i=K4rM3Z41
    Warning: it is not designed to produce familiar-looking European or East Asian names.

Old Realm names:
    Since Old Realm names and words are a mishmash of so many real-world languages, these generators are based on my own personal interpretation of Old Realm, which I started working out here with help from nitai.
    > Celestial, Terrestrial, and ancient Old Realm: http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/...php?i=FaifGb1M
    > Infernal Old Realm: http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/...php?i=EcFUJXMw

__________________________________________________ _________________________________
    Some (ok, a lot) of the results are strange or silly, but what can I do... they're random scripts.

Please share your comments and criticisms.
    Last edited by Erinys; 05-28-2016, 02:45 PM.

• hippokrene
    replied
    Happy bump. I've been using these generators in my current game and they remain very useful.

Leave a comment:

• VolatileSublime
    replied
    Omg, thank you for the random Dynast name generator! It's a lifesaver for brainstorming NPCs. <3

Leave a comment:

• Silent Witness
    replied
    Given that Old Realm had thousands of years to evolve linguistically, I recommend leaving in those canon names that had real-world inspiration. Old Realm's tenure as Creation's (likely) primary language offers plenty of room for phonetic variety.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    *thumbs up*

A question has come up for me about the whole idea of post-hoc construction of an Old Realm "language" or even "phonology" and rather than start a new thread, necro the old one, or hijack the New 3E Demons thread, I'll try to solicit opinions here since the newest random generators are the main output of my playing with Old Realm.

I originally assumed that some gods, elementals, First Age Exalted, and demon names, and First Age place names, were nonsense words. After disregarding names that I recognized as coming from real world languages, I figured I had some that I could use to construct an imaginary thing that I could point to and say "This is what Old Realm sounds like." That's what I wanted to be able to do.

Then Robert Vance pointed out Kate Monk's Onomasticon, where I discovered that more than half of the "lexicon" of supposed nonsense words I had used are also real-world people names. Which implies that the names I didn't find in that one website are probably all, or almost all, real-world names that I would find in other sources if I dug enough. Which leaves me feeling like my approach wasn't valid because there's no core of "genuine" Old Realm names to work with.

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    So... all that fun work I did constructing post-hoc phonology and random name generators for Old Realm was garbage? I mean I knew nobody ever sat down and made an actual language, but I hoped there was enough "lexicon" that had no real-world origin that I could construct something.

I know it's probably silly to care about verisimilitude for something like this, but I care! I like verisimilitude, and don't have a gaming group to spend my time with.

My question is, should I discard more than half of the canon names I used for my phonology exercise and Old Realm random generators, and tighten up the sounds based on just the ones that are left?

Or should I just say "screw it," assume that every name is ripped from the real world, and include the sounds of the names that I had discarded before because I recognized their real world sources?

Which approach produces a more useful set of sounds for names that can be used in games and fit with the setting? Probably the latter. But the question is also philosophical to me; the latter approach also means giving up on my suspension of disbelief, which I'm always loathe to do. Is the first approach viable?
    Last edited by Erinys; 05-15-2016, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Silent Witness
    replied
    This is excellent! Many of the results I'm getting are enough to inspire characters on name alone. Some of my favorites so far:
    Magnanimous Dormouse Daimyo
    Day Heart Executioner
    Mountain Crushing Scholar
    Mad Volcano
    Drunken Face Conquerer
    Savage Coati
    Honor and Hematite Warrior
    Violet Knight of The Sunset
    Last edited by Silent Witness; 05-15-2016, 10:32 AM. Reason: Spelling Error

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Thanks for the praise. (I live for praise sometimes).

Here is the one for demons: http://orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/...php?i=EcFUJXMw

Like the Old Realm one, this is my interpretation of the demonic dialect of Old Realm. Since the names for demons are from so many different languages, I had to pick the ones that fit most with Old Realm in general.
    Last edited by Erinys; 05-13-2016, 04:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Totentanz
    replied
    This is awesome. Thanks, Erinys!

Leave a comment:

• Korhal_IV
    replied
    Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    I hope it's not wrong to post again to this thread.

I have added another name generator, for Old Realm.

Enjoy!
    Sweet, thanks a bunch!

Leave a comment:

• Xanandithras
    replied
    As new episodes of Steven Universe aired earlier, I feel it's apropos to mention one of the names I got was Ally of Amethyst and Peridot.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    I hope it's not wrong to post again to this thread.

I have added another name generator, for Old Realm.
    Since Old Realm, spirits' names, and Primordial names are a mixture of real world and mythical names and words, plus random sounds kind of mashed together, and it often isn't clear whether a name or word is meant to be in Old Realm or some other language, it's been hard to come up with anything that looks like a coherent phonology. This generator is just based on my own personal interpretation of Old Realm, which I started working out here. It's far from perfect and specifically not geared for demonic names which have a distinct feel to them (even when you leave out the Greek, Hungarian, Japanese, etc. names).

Although I interpret Old Realm as having distinct long and short vowels, I didn't mark length in the random script for the sake of readability and resemblance to actual published names.

This and the other name generators will get updates/revisions after I get my hands on Ex3.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Erinys; 05-13-2016, 12:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hippokrene
    replied
    I'm using this generator for my fiction, so thank you.

Also, "Magnanimous Eucalyptus," made me chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    I figured you did. Glad it's useful!

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    I totally used this name generator to come with the name "Valiant Hummingbird" for a ship name. Well, I pulled that name from two different names the generator gave me, but it very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• ZealousChristian24
    replied
    Originally posted by Caladon View Post

Two Arms (so your name is...two arms...your parents are very literal and boring people aren't they)
    Or it means you grew up somewhere where such a thing is somehow exceptional.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X