Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[EX3] The little mechanics...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I gotta say Vance, You're promising some mighty tall orders on those investigation mechanics. I can't wait to check them out! I've always been fairly good at using existing mechanics to hack out odd circumstances into a decent resolution mechanic, so I see a lot of potential in a set of solid investigation mechanics.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Drecain View Post

      I hope stealth and infiltration will have a subsystem.

      As it is in 2e and many other RPGs, sneaking is resolved in a single roll, and extended roll or a contested roll depending on the situation and ST. In most of these cases a single failed check means you get spotted. I have an issue with sneaking having this high "lethality rate".

      I would love it if EX3 had a stealth/sneak subsystem that worked kind of like what we've been told about the combat system. As I understand the spoilers and discussions about the spoilers the norm seems to be that you need advantage before you can get a hit in.

      I like games like Assassins Creed and FarCry 3 that has sneak elements, but man-oh-man do I ever hate having to reload after being spotted in the middle of the enemy base. In Exalted that would suck even worse since you can't load up your quicksave.

      As the mechanics have been, sneaky infiltration is almost never a good plan. It's better to have to dawn solo the BBEG's mooks as a diversion than count on the night to fetch something from his guarded chambers.
      Isn't that just a case of GM being a dick though?

      I mean, If one of my players tried to sneak into a heavily guarded location, I wouldn't just declare that he's spotted and the whole operation is busted the moment he fails one of his stealth rolls. I'd say he drawed an attention of a particular guard, or maybe a group of guards if it was a fail by a huge margin or in a tight spot, and that they're going towards him, to check what cuased their suspition. It might have been a sudden creek of a wooden floor, or maybe an apple falling, or a shadow on the wall. Now he has the chance to escape detection through wit and knowledge of his surroundings. Maybe he can just silently take one of the guards out.Maybe he can fall back.

      Just because you failed a single stealth roll, doesn't mean you can now be clearly seen by everyone in the room. It's not that binary, at least not in Exalted.
      Last edited by Arrakiz; 11-12-2013, 05:02 AM.

      Comment


      • #33
        Funny I always keep at certain amount of success or failure the reach a threshold badly enough. That have always been the solution at my table at least.

        Comment


        • #34
          Trap rules. Are there any?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Brontes View Post
            Trap rules. Are there any?
            D&D never really got good trap rules and it has decades on Exalted.



            Masters of the Industrial Elements
            Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
            Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
            The Underworld (3rd Edition)
            ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post

              D&D never really got good trap rules and it has decades on Exalted.
              ​I...honestly feel like I read what I'm about to say somewhere, and don't want to take credit for others' thoughts, but I don't recall where. In any event, the problem with traps is that either they're dangerous enough to kill PCs outright, which would amount to a pretty unsatisfying end for most involved, or else they're basically a nuisance and little more. The theoretical sweet spot that falls between these extremes seems to be an excessively hard one to hit, and most designers, missing the mark, prefer the lesser evil of nuisance traps to anything more lethal.

              Comment


              • #37
                The little things work fine for me. The little things add up.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Yishten View Post

                  ​I...honestly feel like I read what I'm about to say somewhere, and don't want to take credit for others' thoughts, but I don't recall where. In any event, the problem with traps is that either they're dangerous enough to kill PCs outright, which would amount to a pretty unsatisfying end for most involved, or else they're basically a nuisance and little more. The theoretical sweet spot that falls between these extremes seems to be an excessively hard one to hit, and most designers, missing the mark, prefer the lesser evil of nuisance traps to anything more lethal.
                  Late 3.5 edition they introduced encounter traps, which were more like what you wanted to see, but they were still very clunky to use and usually hard to explain why they were there. The general idea - making traps more like what you see in a movie - is good, but executing it gets difficult even before you add in the complexity of divine powers.



                  Masters of the Industrial Elements
                  Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                  Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                  The Underworld (3rd Edition)
                  ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post
                    Late 3.5 edition they introduced encounter traps, which were more like what you wanted to see, but they were still very clunky to use and usually hard to explain why they were there. The general idea - making traps more like what you see in a movie - is good, but executing it gets difficult even before you add in the complexity of divine powers.
                    Like, a trap with enough complex moving bits to serve as an encounter on its own, or regular old traps that you add into an encounter with monsters. Because if the latter, eh, but if the former, that sounds kinda awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing Exalted do something like that.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Yishten View Post
                      Like, a trap with enough complex moving bits to serve as an encounter on its own, or regular old traps that you add into an encounter with monsters. Because if the latter, eh, but if the former, that sounds kinda awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing Exalted do something like that.
                      The idea was a trap with moving parts so that an encounter with the trap necessarily involved everyone. The idea was that the fighter could smash blades, hold back a crushing wall, or shield others in the party, the wizard could dispel magical components, and the rogue could be working at turning the whole thing off.

                      The execution, however, was somewhat lacking.



                      Masters of the Industrial Elements
                      Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
                      Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
                      The Underworld (3rd Edition)
                      ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                        One of my goals in writing the poison mechanics was to make them so intuitive that you would never need to flip back to the poison description after you'd read it the first time, as long as you have the stat line for the particular poison you have.
                        Having read the poison mechanics, I have to say: "Mission accomplished!"


                        Developer for Exalted.

                        Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                          Having read the poison mechanics, I have to say: "Mission accomplished!"
                          Hooray sir!


                          I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                            Having read the poison mechanics, I have to say: "Mission accomplished!"
                            *gigantic anime blush*


                            Developer for Exalted

                            Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                            Robert Vance's Patreon

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Hey! This is some good wholesome English speaking country here! Don't make us cut 31 episodes of content out of this thread.


                              I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                                Hey! This is some good wholesome English speaking country here! Don't make us cut 31 episodes of content out of this thread.
                                man we all know Exalted has like 25% anime DNA. If Lea wouldn't whup me up the backside of the head for doing it, I'd be using shikata ga nai as a mechanical keyword.


                                Developer for Exalted

                                Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

                                Robert Vance's Patreon

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X