How Dangerous is the Wyld Hunt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ersatz View Post
    I'd say that the Wyld Hunt should only ever be dangerous to lone, inexperianced, Celestial Exalted
    Doesn't this amount to "a group of dedicated and decently equipped Terrestrial Exalted should only ever be dangerous to lone, inexperienced Celestials"?

I think the Wyld Hunt should be dangerous enough to make for antagonists who can last at least the length of a story, whether that take the form of several sessions of cat and mouse ending in them cornering you and a big fight, or maneuvering you into a battlefield that favours them (possibly one that they've outright laid traps in), or utilising a measure of hit and run tactics (and actually capable of battle enough that it usually seems like a good idea to attempt escape or countermanuever, even if the story ends with a fight and you win that fight).

Like, Wyld Hunters from the Realm are dedicated to the point of fanaticism, and might, if circumstances dictate, be willing to take risks that could annihilate enemies if they pay off, but I'd say that most of the time they'll opt for a more cautious, careful approach where they attempt to stack the odds in their favour first, reducing the risks in the actual attack, but extending the hunt according to terms that a clever, resourceful, desperate or lucky Exalt can use to outmaneuver or slip away from them.

Even when there are Realm Wyld Hunters who are super juiced to give their life in killing you, I'd say that it's possible for a Solar to recognise that and lead such Terrestrials into thinking a high risk high reward tactic that won't work will be effective, meaning that they leave themselves really open (and then die) for nothing, and that can break the (non-system) momentum of a Wyld Hunt for a bit.
    Last edited by Isator Levi; 02-08-2014, 06:52 AM.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Of course it varies, especially in 3e where "Wyld Hunt" doesn't necessarily mean Realm shikari, but the default answer should be "very". Even if they're not monks, Wyld Hunt members will be skilled and experienced warriors -anything else is suicide. And I think a circle of skilled, experienced Dragonblooded should be capable of standing up to any non-Elder Celestial -so if you're alone, your best options are to run or hide. A powerful Celestial might still win, but it'd be uncertain at best -and if the Wyld Hunt is gunning for you, you're probably not that powerful yet.

A circle of Celestials has better odds, of course, but if Lookshy or the Realm knows that there are multiple Celestials in one place, they'll up the overkill commensurately. They probably won't know your exact numbers and capabilities, though, and then they will tend to err on the side of conserving their resources, taking it into the realm of "tough, but winnable"-although five young Solars against ten Dragonblooded is still no picnic, unless the Solars are all Lyta.

I'm leaving mortal soldiers out of the equation, because they will vary so much in quality and quantity that they could be anything from decisive to a nonfactor.
      Sidereals, as I see it, don't go along with Wyld Hunts anymore unless they have business in the area anyway or the object of the Hunt is a priority target of the Bronze Faction for some reason. There are simply too few Sidereals, and the risk/reward doesn't add up for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Schleiermacher View Post
        Of course it varies, especially in 3e where "Wyld Hunt" doesn't necessarily mean Realm shikari.
        This, by the way. A few people in the thread seem to be forgetting that as of now a "Wyld Hunt" could just be a group of upstart DB outcastes and some hired mortal legbreakers whose critical business deals your Solar PCs might have been stepping on the toes of. Such Hunts should still be a threat, but they're not as likely to bring to bear the well-drilled armies of men and highly skilled Immaculate martial artists that a fully roused Realm or Lookshyan Hunt is capable of deploying.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

I really want to do a Wyld Hunt based on the Ginyu Force complete with absurd sentai style poses, incredibility flamboyant power levels and at least one of them having an artifact based on a scouter.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
          Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Really, even a disorganised group of Outcastes still constitutes a threat, because they're Exalted, and it has been outright said that no Solar ever becomes so powerful that a group of Terrestrial Exalted aren't a threat.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
              Really, even a disorganised group of Outcastes still constitutes a threat, because they're Exalted, and it has been outright said that no Solar ever becomes so powerful that a group of Terrestrial Exalted aren't a threat.
              Yup. And not all groups of outcastes are exactly disorganized, either. I do remember someone pointedly wondering what a Forest Witches Wyld Hunt might consist of.

Originally posted by Lioness
              I really want to do a Wyld Hunt based on the Ginyu Force complete with absurd sentai style poses, incredibility flamboyant power levels and at least one of them having an artifact based on a scouter.
              Damn, I can only like the post once.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                Same here. One of the best parts about that Wyld Hunt writeup in the update was it feels easier to imagine members of the Wyld Hunt as good guys or even the PCs in a DB-centric game, rather than the well-intentioned extremists they've always felt like. The image that most readily came to mind for that was a Sworn Brotherhood styled after Super Sentai, with the Saturday morning (technically Sunday morning in Japan) gaudiness toned down. Or not.

So yeah, that's how threatening the Wyld Hunt could be. Enough to be the PCs if you so desired.

Comment

A Wyld Hunt is composed of Exalted who will probably have better martial training than a Solar, who will definitely have access to more resources than a Solar can muster, and who will outnumber the Solar. And I will repeat that it is composed of Exalted, because I feel like sometimes people forget that the Dragon-Blooded are Exalted and deserving of the respect one affords an Exalt.

If a Solar who does not do something clever to change at least one of those circumstances is not under genuine peril of death from a Wyld Hunt, then both the Realm and the Dragon-Blooded in general are a farce; a walking example of the Worf Effect.

Comment

In the UDON Exalted comic, a Wyld Hunt comes after a full (perfect, I think) circle of Solars. The engagement ends with casualties and survivors on both sides. I think it's about the best depiction of a "typical" Wyld Hunt/Solar Circle engagement in modern Creation that we have in the fiction.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

And sometimes, the DBs are too busy to come after you and someone up the chain says "oh just send Imminent Thunder" and then you cry and beg as your ST laughs mercilessly.

(Imminent Thunder is sad when he has to OHK Solars from ambush, he prefers to face them in single combat while the rest of the Hunt just watches. But he will OHK them all the same)

Comment

You know what Exalted needs? It needs an Imminent Thunder/Sad Ivory team-up for "Wyld Hunt buddy cop movie" shenanigans.

He is the ultimate astrology-enhanced supernatural martial artist. She is the only woman to have ever fought Lilith and lived. Together, They Fight The Anathema!

Comment

As a general rule I think it's best for the Wyld Hunt's threat level to be adjustable. Having a constant threat of instant death from hypertrained death machines is going to be unfun for many games, and the books absolutely should not leave STs with the feeling that they must regularly confront players with the absolute cream of the Realm's martial elite.

In setting terms, the Wyld Hunt's effectiveness varies wildly, especially in the default setting (where it is spread much more thinly and has much less official support than it did at its height -- many of the stronger DBs and much of the financing that once made it so scary is now devoted to the Realm Civil War, and even at its height, it was always designed to fight 300 Lunars and around 12 Solars, not 300 Lunars, 150 Solars, plus Abyssals, Infernals, etc.) The modern Wyld Hunt is an institution on the verge of breaking under the weight of countless pressures, so it's not going to always (or even usually) be able to operate at full strength.

The Wyld Hunt is still capable of presenting overwhelming strength, but it can't do so as a matter of course in response to every single report of an Anathema the way it once could. This is important because it justifies the adjustable threat level I mentioned above -- it should be completely reasonable for the Wyld Hunt to send in a horrific killmurder squad if the PCs do something that shows they require it, but it should also be reasonable for the Wyld Hunt to send in no response at all, or for them to send in a force of (relatively) lightly-equipped nobles with no experience fighting Celestials. Which it is will depend on the needs of your game.

Comment

Originally posted by Omicron View Post
                            You know what Exalted needs? It needs an Imminent Thunder/Sad Ivory team-up for "Wyld Hunt buddy cop movie" shenanigans.

He is the ultimate astrology-enhanced supernatural martial artist. She is the only woman to have ever fought Lilith and lived. Together, They Fight The Anathema!
                            I would watch that show so much you have no idea.

Currently writing for Heirs to the Shogunate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                              What about the food theme-naming? Would they still be named after dairy products or anagrams of dairy products?

TOKUSENTAI!

Comment

wait, so now things like exalting next to a group of dragonblood, defeating them and then running the hell out of there is going to be improbable??

Comment

Working...
                                X