Elemental Devourers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elemental Devourers

Here is an idea for an "enemy of the north" that I was thinking of using. Its mostly in the Thought Experiment stage, so I don't have stats on it yet, though I would love someone that knows the system to help me with that.

Elemental Devourers - Scourges of Elemental Kind
    There are a few races of Elementals that are considered outside the Harmony of Nature and Creation. These elementals personify the devouring nature of each element and each can wreak havoc in their own way if left unchecked. By Thaumaturgs, sages and Sorcerers they are referred to as The Devouring Essence of an element. The Harpy is one such feared elemental along with the Emerald Locust, Devouring Wave, the Unquenchable Lion and the Stone Marauder. Thankfully the Devouring Essence feeds even on itself, making such Elementals unstable and such beings can only respire in high essence environments such as a Demesne. Without such protection they rarely survive a month.
    Unfortunately each of the 5 well known Scourges has a means of bypassing this weakness at least for a time: The Harpies perform mass ritual sacrifices; the Unquenchable Lion hunts devours enlightened mortals, exalted and spirits; the Emerald Locust devour their own life giving element leaving the land a barren wasteland; the Devouring Wave traps countless victims within its caustic foam; and the Stone Marauder devours hearth stones.

Harpy, the Aerial Devourer

Harpies are said to manifest when the Hunter’s moon coincides with the building of a rare arctic maelstrom. Harpies appear as old crones with great yellow eyes, an Owl’s wings instead of arms, and Owl legs/talons instead of legs. The Harpy as the Aerial Devourer, is the gathering storm which must be endured but it is also the Sagely Devourer; the most intelligent and cunning of its kind. Harpies survive the Hunger through their understand of thaumaturgy making them able to perform rites of sacrifice themselves in-order to stave off starvation. Thus they will attack towns and villages to sacrifice its inhabitants to themselves in order to regain essence. Harpies reproduce by taking over an Air Demesne and forcing the the Demesne’s essence into the “Mother Harpy” via geomantic constructions constructed of fled logs, shining rocks, etc... (It looks like a giant nest or nests from outside). The "Mother" then births the Flock. Each harpy is born from an egg that gestates 1 month, and the newborn reaches adulthood in another month. More powerful Demesnes can create more “Mothers” and build the Flock even faster.
    Generally, the Flock nests around their Demesne building up numbers, and enslaving tribal servitors. When the Flock becomes too large or the Nest is threatened, ½ the flock gathers in a great migration to find its next nest, it is in these movements that the Flock is at its most desperate and most dangerous. In the days of the Shogunate, The Wyld Hunt would to combat these elementals with a Ground Legion to destroy the existing nest, and an Air/Cavalry Unit to chase down the Flock.
    In combat the Harpy is a relatively challenging foe. They wield whatever they can take from the villages and caravans they have devoured/enslaved or simple Spears or their own talons. At a distance they can launch sprays of Ice Feathers but doing so uses essence so they rarely use them unless defending their Nest (and therefore being replenished by the Demesne). They can and do use many types of thaumaturgy and will use whatever minor tricks they can come up with to give them an edge against their opponent. Additionally the stronger amongst a Flock can actually use Sorcery and innately can cast specific Air themed spells. They rarely do so as it eats their essence away quickly.

Now, THIS is good! This is the sort of thing that makes me feel that maybe I'm TOO invested in the settings' rules/mechanics, and it prevents me from being truly creative and coming up with something like this!

Sorry I don't have anything more concrete to offer, but keep up the good work!

Comment

I like it

Elementals that represent the destructive side of creation...

I can imagine a plothook for sids (or player characters with a more creation-centered bent) having to help a god who lost control of a large number of elemental devourers... perhaps because some nasty abyssals wrested control of them? who knows

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Elementals already give a fair amount of representation to the destructive side of their element - look at thunderbirds, or wood-kings.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
          Elementals already give a fair amount of representation to the destructive side of their element - look at thunderbirds, or wood-kings.

Agreed but that shouldn't discourage further creativity. I think the thought that has gone into these are great I look forward to the others.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            I agree that the "Destructive" sides of element have been seen, but i don't think "Destructive" is the right way to look at these concepts. It is just way too broad of a category. I see the Thunderbird as Storm/Air "Warriors," and the Wood-King as "Domination".
            In this case I was exploring the "Devouring" concept through elemental lenses (specifically Air for the Harpies).

Personally I think since elementals are born from a conflagration/concentration of essence and the concepts around which that essence has formed, that there are innumerable possibilities for what types of elementals there are. That is why in my description of the Devouring Essence, I used the phrase "the 5 well known Scourges". I'm implying that there are many other Devouring Essence elementals, but they simply don't last long or at least aren't as well known.

@ Webkilla: For my current dragonblooded game, the PCs are part of House Ferem of Cherak, and have been tasked with protecting some of the far flung territory during the winter. The Harpies are part of a two part Adventure.

Part 1: The PCs will come across a local god whose demesne has been taken by a flock of Harpies. They will either need to take on the Nest themselves, fight off repeated attacks from the harpies until the snows thaw, or make their way to the Eye of the Pinnacle of the Hunt to bring down the Wyld Hunt on the Nest.

Part 2: The second part of the adventure is to discover the location of the Nest that birthed the flock. By investigating the objects the Flock had taken during their migration they can surmise a direction. When they report the nest the Wyld hunt will be brought in no matter what. They will be invited to go with the Wyld Hunt's trackers to find the Original Nest and after some sleuthing, bartering and essence expenditures, the PCs will discover that a Mercenary King is protecting the Nest and is controlling them in someway (haven't decided yet) trying to make a crisis that his Mercenary company can become the saviors for. This Mercenary King may or may not be an Anathema depending on what I think the players can handle, or fits the ongoing story (He will be exalted of some kind though). This time the PCs and their Wyld Huntsmen companions must stop the Mercenary King and his Harpy Queen before a new Flock is sent out.
            Last edited by Raemus; 10-17-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Yeah, this holds up. Although I'll admit, I'm a bit disappointed it didn't turn out to be some kind of creature that goes around eating elementals.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                Yeah, this holds up. Although I'll admit, I'm a bit disappointed it didn't turn out to be some kind of creature that goes around eating elementals.
                Yeah, some sets of twisted "Anti-Elementals" might be a cool idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                  Isn't that what Fairfolk were really good at in 1st Ed? I seem to remember fairfolk being elemental bane. Maybe that was just the stories my friend was running back then.

Comment

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post
                    Yeah, some sets of twisted "Anti-Elementals" might be a cool idea.
                    I wrote something like this as a small portion of a post I put up in the headcanon thread.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...455#post580455

Comment

Working...
                    X