No announcement yet.

Irked Reads Ex3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, I think I've compiled all the unclear things mentioned in the thread and submitted them. In under the wire!

(I have to admit that I'm hoping, first, that everything that needs to be fixed is fixed, and second, that there's some sort of change log of the results - because heck if I want to do this again.)

Homebrew: Lunar Charms for 3e

Solar Charm Rewrite (Complete) (Now with Charm cards!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shinjo View Post
      This notion is what brought us the 3E PDF in it's current state, that people who could see this mess coming are entitled. It's uncharitable to those that knew an open-playtest would improve the new edition of Exalted and were willing to volunteer their time and effort.
      I agree, and I think that point of view has been vindicated by just how quickly most of the mistakes / vague rules / gamebreakers / lifted art have been spotted here by a relative handful of people looking on it with fresh eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irked View Post
        Okay, I think I've compiled all the unclear things mentioned in the thread and submitted them. In under the wire!

(I have to admit that I'm hoping, first, that everything that needs to be fixed is fixed, and second, that there's some sort of change log of the results - because heck if I want to do this again.)
        Oh Brave new world, where tabletop RPGs have patch notes. :lol:

Comment

• Heh... actually, that reminds me of the Warhammer 8th edition FAQs... which did, indeed, have a change log of updates. Seriously, patch notes are applicable to tabletop games.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperG View Post
            Heh... actually, that reminds me of the Warhammer 8th edition FAQs... which did, indeed, have a change log of updates. Seriously, patch notes are applicable to tabletop games.

There was a time not long ago that Exalted itself had a rather large errata PDF...

Comment

• Originally posted by Totentanz View Post

There was a time not long ago that Exalted itself had a rather large errata PDF...
              <shudder>

Actually it's quite easy to compare two pdfs, we could make our own patch notes for E3 prefix and postfix?

Comment

• Originally posted by Irked View Post
                (This charm is half the reason I’m sad that the Second Apocalypse books don’t make the recommended reading list – in the first two books, Kellhus lives and breathes Solar Socialize, and there’s at least one scene that’s a beautiful illustration of WECM. The books in general parse very well as the story of a newborn Solar – and given that the first trilogy is The Prince of Nothing and the second is The Aspect-Emperor, well.)
                I'm late to the party on this, but YES. Kellhus is basically the only Exalt in a world of mortals, including mortal sorcerers (at least in the first trilogy). I mean, other Dunyain could do the same things he does, but they don't have the motivation or reason to.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• Originally posted by Zelbinnean View Post
                  I'm late to the party on this, but YES. Kellhus is basically the only Exalt in a world of mortals, including mortal sorcerers (at least in the first trilogy). I mean, other Dunyain could do the same things he does, but they don't have the motivation or reason to.
                  I think those books shape my view of what Creation should be more than anything else, at this point: the technology, the society gradually recovering from an apocalypse, the weird lands where death bleeds through (or where you might grow an eye in the middle of your heart), the nihilistic threat that the gods can't see because it's outside fate... it all just works. I can't say I manage to capture that in a game very well - and I'm not entirely sorry for that, because Earwa is not a fun place to hang out - but in my head, that's more like Creation than anything else I've read.

The reaction basically everyone has to Kellhus when they've only heard about him ("C'mon, it's just one guy; how bad could he be?") is exactly the vibe I'd want to have for newborn Solars. For one tiny, almost-invisible window of time, it's almost true - and then oops, he accidentally an entire religion.

Comment

• Yeah, the big difference being that Kellhus basically singlehandedly shaped a huge portion of the relevant world after leaving Ishual. In some ways this is bigger than the scope of Creation, because there are really no other active powers on the same "power level" as Kellhus acting in Earwa, and nothing that could effectively counter him. Compare this to creation with hundreds of other Solars and Lunars, and probably 20,000 DBs. Which, I'm not saying that Kellhus didn't achieve huge things, just that it'd be different if there were a couple hundred other Dunyain acting toward their own individual goals in the world.

Fundamentally, Kellhus is more of a plot device than a character, because whenever he struggles, he's set up the narrative of that struggle in advance to produce a desired effect in those who witness the struggle. I don't think that kind of thing really works in Creation; while Solars are badasses, they don't have the same absolute control of the field, simply because there are other big dogs out there.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

• Originally posted by Zelbinnean View Post
                      Yeah, the big difference being that Kellhus basically singlehandedly shaped a huge portion of the relevant world after leaving Ishual. In some ways this is bigger than the scope of Creation, because there are really no other active powers on the same "power level" as Kellhus acting in Earwa, and nothing that could effectively counter him. Compare this to creation with hundreds of other Solars and Lunars, and probably 20,000 DBs. Which, I'm not saying that Kellhus didn't achieve huge things, just that it'd be different if there were a couple hundred other Dunyain acting toward their own individual goals in the world.

Fundamentally, Kellhus is more of a plot device than a character, because whenever he struggles, he's set up the narrative of that struggle in advance to produce a desired effect in those who witness the struggle. I don't think that kind of thing really works in Creation; while Solars are badasses, they don't have the same absolute control of the field, simply because there are other big dogs out there.
                      Oh, yeah, definitely. Solars can pull the same kind of thing off until they bump into someone else's fiefdom - but it's much more a "What if there was exactly one Solar in the world and no other Exalts?" story.

(Although, The White-Luck Warrior suggests there's at least one Sidereal...)

Comment

• It seems a bit odd that after so long, I am still not able to find answers to some of the questions raised in this thread (which was so popular back then)

Here is an example:

Originally posted by Irked View Post
                        Crane
                        Okay, what is “her enemy’s Initiative” for the purposes of Wisdom of the Celestial Crane (#1)? Is it the enemy’s pre-attack Initiative, or if they hit, is this their reset-to-base 3i? The latter seems like the natural reading, but that’s a pretty expensive Charm.
                        I mean, I can find the Unofficial Ex3 Dev Rulings Compilation https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...IhVM_PQEc/edit

Read here http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/1069023-ask-the-devs?p=1069596#post1069596 that

"Crane's counterattacks use the same timing as Solar Counterattack (after attack, but before damage is rolled)."

go to page 317 and read

"The Exalt draws focus from her foe’s temerity. To strike
                        her is to invite death. The Exalt may use this Charm in
                        response to any attack she attempts to parry, creating a
                        Melee counterattack that occurs after the opponent’s
                        attack result, but before damage has been rolled. This
                        attack functions as a regular decisive attack. Solar Counterattack
                        does not count as the Exalt’s combat action and
                        cannot be used in response to another counterattack."

and then to page 191

"Step One: Roll (Dexterity + [relevant combat Ability] +
                        any modifiers) against a difficulty of the target’s Defense.
                        You do not add your weapon’s accuracy to this roll. If the
                        roll fails, and your current Initiative is 1-10, your character
                        loses 2 Initiative. If it’s 11+ and the attack fails, your
                        character loses 3 Initiative.

Step Two: If attack is successful, roll your current Initiative
                        value as a dice pool. The Double 10s rule (p. 183)
                        does not apply to this roll. If your target has Hardness
                        (p. 195) equal to or greater than your damage pool in this
                        step, you inflict no damage but your attack is still considered
                        a success; proceed to Step Four.

Step Three: Count up the successes on the Initiative roll.
                        Apply that many levels of damage to the target’s Health
                        Track. This damage will be bashing or lethal, as determined
                        by the weapon used (see p. 195).

Step Four: If the attack was successful, reset your character’s
                        Initiative value to 3 (also known as “Resetting to
                        base value.”)"

And then I am still not really sure. If they hit then it must be their initative as it was when they hit the crane stylist. But if they don't hit, is before or after they loose the 2/3 initiative?

I mean the last uncertainty is not as bad as the fact that I had to search online to find a fan collection and read an answer in a forum thread and read a specific charm and compare that with the rules to figure out how another totally unrelated charm works.

Does anyone know if they plan to publish an official errata? (or already have)

(and yes, I did go away for quite some time in the hope that some of these things would be fixed if I just gave it a couple of years. It just makes me a bit sad to find that it seems they are not)
                        Last edited by TrueMonk; 04-30-2019, 05:52 PM.

Also, look at the exalted fan collection that we are making.

Comment

• There's a thread right up there for asking Robert Vance questions.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Working...
                          X