[Ex3]Chapter Fiction!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ex3]Chapter Fiction!

Hey so for the first time in forever we have exalted chapter fiction! Lets look at it! For the purpose of this initial review and in the spirit of happiness that it's out in backer form I will be keeping all my comments in this first post positive.

Opening Fiction(Page 2): Awesome, just awesome. I love the banter, I love the fight scenes. It had 3 of the 4 common and popular exalt types in it. Wu-Jian seems like an even cooler place to run a game now after reading that fiction. It’s a good intro to the kinds of things exalted can do if anybody hasn’t played it yet. I wish I had more to say but all that comes out is “AAGHHH SO SWEET!”

Night Caste Fiction(Page 18): Also great. The imagery here is superb and really captures what I think the iconic night caste should feel like. Like a shadow, hiding in plain sight or behind a cloak of smoke and darkness. Novia seems pretty damn cool too, smooth and cool. This fiction makes me want to play a night caste.

Zenith Cast Fiction(Page 32): Now that’s a badass fucking way to exalt. I knew before that she exalted by punching a UCS statue, but it’s still amazing. A pretty decent intro into the Zenith caste and a good setting piece for the area. Perfect Soul sounds like a total baller who doesn’t afraid of anyone, which is a great concept for the righteous priests of the Sun. This fiction makes me want to play a zenith caste.

Lunar Fiction(Page 56): We’ve seen this one before but it’s worth mentioning again how good it is. I’m so glad Lunars are having awesome stuff to do in this edition and are now a big part of the setting. Lunars doing Lunar things with other Lunars and internal Lunar politics. Makes them feel like they’re much more than just an add-on to somebody else’s game. Also I don’t know why but I just love those ape-men in the picture. They look like they just don’t give a fuck about anything. This fiction makes me want to play a Lunar.

Liminal Fiction(Page 118): Freakin A! I’m not sure much about what liminals are, but apparently they’re ass kickers. I can’t say how much I love the imagery and implications of a lone hero in the depths of a cold and empty night. The solemnness and the sense of duty, the will and ability to push on through the cold and keep your little light burning defiant against the infinite night. Add on top of that the slaying of horrible creatures from the Underworld? Done. Sign me up. This fiction makes me want to play a Liminal.

Eclipse Fiction(Page 132): Great as well! I like the use of the foreign powers that eclipses have access to, letting them do things few other Solars can. (Can Solars walk on water this edition? I don’t really know. It seems like something they could do anyway.) Sanctifying an oath is classic and iconic. Prince Diamond seems like a cool guy, I like how he’s clever and manipulative, but not malicious. This fiction makes me want to play an eclipse.

Dragonblooded Fiction(Page 180): Finally! In the past exalted has always made a distinction between what you have as your cast and what you choose for your attributes. You could be a Twilight with physical primary, or a Zenith who took mental primary or whatever. They never really showed much of that happening though, and much like in other media like film and television show-don’t-tell is a good rule to follow. In this case it’s pretty clearly a Dawn who’s all about that social and it’s great. Charismatic and apparently super hot, while still retaining the very Dawn like ability to kick soooo much ass. I also liked how the older woman isn’t shown to be a celibate asexual being as many fictions stereotype women over 30 to be for some reason. This fiction makes me want to play a Dawn.

Dawn Fiction(Page 248): Man…Volfer is kind of a douchebag. It’s still a good fiction though, maybe not quite as good as the others, but solid. It’s interesting to see a dawn actually display some fear when he’s going 20 vs 1 against mortals and a DB when unarmed and unarmored. Previous editions of exalted would lead me to believe that was a forgone conclusion the second the word Dawn was brought up. This fiction doesn’t really make me want to play a Dawn.

Twilight Fiction(Page 424): Shen is great, just great. He might be my favourite of the new sigs just for the fact that he took a disease demon and give it its own horrible sickness in retribution. I really like his characterization here and how he seems to mix a lot of cool twilight concepts together. Again I wish I had more to say about the whole thing but there’s only so many ways I can say I like it a lot. This fiction makes me want to play a Twilight.

Abyssal Fiction(Page 492): This one has awesome atmosphere. I could almost smell it, in a good way of course. Also god damn, hundreds of spine chains? Hundreds? Jesus Christ! Normally I hate the whole “magical becoming mundane” thing that this seems to draw on a bit, but I don’t know it just kind of works here. His ruminations about his boss, however, that’s just gold. This one didn’t make me want to play an abyssal at first, but it’s kind of growing on me.

Sidereal Fiction(Page 576): Well well well, popping right into papa Kejak? Damn. This one was kind of sobering actually. That guy’s been through a lot, you really feel his pain here, the weight of the whole world turning on him, a world he feels responsible for. Also a good quick shot about what’s going on in the world. I almost want to play a bronzie just to help this poor guy out, he really needs it. Don’t worry boss, I’m on it! This fiction actually does make me want to play a Sidereal.

Exigent fiction(Page 630): This is another one we’ve all seen before, but it’s still great. The magic, the mystery, the desperate need of a hero where none exists. Then the spark of exigence focused through the lens of a fading god as one last stand against chaos, for this town anyway. This fiction makes me want to play an Exigent

Well there we go! I think I got all of them! What did you guys think?

Wait, is the one Dynast in the first fiction named Toad Rat? That guys gotta be an outcaste, no way he made it through dynasty school with a name like that.

I also wonder if the new sits are all in a circle following their exaltations, it seems like they could be? Looking forward to seeing more of them if they are.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
      Wait, is the one Dynast in the first fiction named Toad Rat? That guys gotta be an outcaste, no way he made it through dynasty school with a name like that.

I also wonder if the new sits are all in a circle following their exaltations, it seems like they could be? Looking forward to seeing more of them if they are.

Toad Rat could be a Dynast's rather unfortunate nickname that they've been unable to shake.

And there's mention in one of the small fiction bits of Shen being attacked by a demon just after Perfect Soul and the rest of the Circle leave. Then Volfer kicks down the door.

Comment

Is Toad Rat an Immaculate? They get new names as part of their training, so he wouldn't have had to endure teasing as a child. Although it's still a pretty weird name for anyone to choose to adopt later in life.

My homebrew: Abyssals, Infernals, Dragon Kings, martial arts.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

They are. The mini-fiction in the Abilities section has a few interactions.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            They are. The mini-fiction in the Abilities section has a few interactions.
            Sweet, are there any plans to do more with them together in the future? I'm always happy to see Solar circles in fiction because it waaay more accurately resembles what I see at the table as opposed to a lone hero on a singular adventure.

Comment

Working...
            X