No announcement yet.

[Ex3] In which we brainstorm Sorcerous Initiations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hymns are Power (***) – With two dots in this merit, a sorcerer may substitute her Performance for her Occult when using shape sorcery actions.
    I'm considering something like this for an Orpheus based Sorcerer, but I'm guessing that it needs a rules caveat that you can't apply any Performance dice-tricks that don't have Occult equivalent Charms.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
      I'm considering something like this for an Orpheus based Sorcerer, but I'm guessing that it needs a rules caveat that you can't apply any Performance dice-tricks that don't have Occult equivalent Charms.
      A simpler option would be to allow the spellcaster to use Charisma instead of Intelligence for shaping rolls, or granting (Performance) doubled 9s on appropriate spells.

Comment

• The Force of Principle

This Shaping Ritual is an ancient one, but sees little practice in the modern day. First, it requires an individual to uphold a broad principle, such as valor, compassion, temperance or similar at a defining level. Next, the aspiring Sorcerer must find either someone who already knows this ritual and is attuned to the same principle, a temple dedicated to a divine entity that embodies this principle. If the principle in question is otherworldly, or foul, such as Hatred or Nihilism, this may require questing into the Wyld, or Hell, or the forgotten corners of the world. Once she has found such a temple, the aspirant meditates and prays, finally receiving enlightenment after three days and nights of continued prayer. During this time she may not act in any way contrary to the principle she seeks to embody, as judged by the God. If she instead finds a human teacher, the process is much the same, though she will be judged by a human rather than a God.

Once she has passed this first trial, the god or teacher demands of her twelve services, each of which embodies a different aspect of the principle. For those expression valor, this often involves battles against mighty foes, questing to the most horrifying places of Creation and similar quests, while one charged for compassion might find himself doing long years of service in the most destitute and disease-ridden boroughs of the world. Each quest brings further and greater enlightenment, though completing the first suffices to initiate the Aspirant into Sorcery. However, if she deliberately fails to complete the following quests, she finds herself cast out of society entirely as she is cursed with an intangible mark that causes men and beasts to shy away from her, and causes her to be regarded with disgust even by the Fae and the denizens of Hell.

A famous example of these twelve quests, and one of the major reasons this Shaping Ritual sees few practitioners in the modern day, are the quests imparted by a Nephwrack to a mortal who came to be known simply as the Shogun of the End. His first quest was to desecrate a pristine valley, sacred to Gaia. He burnt the forest within to the ground and salted the earth. His next quest was to poison all the water in a certain area in the South. To do this, he slew a great behemoth and watered the desert with its poisonous blood. His third quest and fourth quests are unknown, but tales abound of massive pyres of corpses, or some say still-living humans, of kingdoms toppled and castles shattered, but no scholar can confirm such rumours. His fifth quest is well known - Sink an inhabited island into the Underworld, so that the dead may feast on the flesh and blood of the living. The Shogun of the End raised a new island from the waters of the West, richly laden with gold and Jade. Atop the island, he planted a spear of Moonsilver whose siren song brought the Anathema from the edge of Creation. But the island was cursed so that all who saw it would desire it for themselves. War followed as the Anathema clashed with each other and with pirates, while armies were brought to bear against each other, and terrible sorceries twisted the world and shattered the ocean floor. Finally, the Shogun stepped forward, a staff of burning black stone in his hand and with him came a thousand thousand of the living dead, sailing on ships of bone. Three Lunars died that day, as did several pirate kings, their armies left stranded on the island as the weight of death and greed dragged it beneath the waves and below the world. Not only had the Shogun completed his fifth quest, but by slaying the Lunars he had accomplished his sixth as well. The quests continued in that vain, spreading death and destruction across the South and West, until they eventually threatened the Blessed Isle itself. Unfortunately for the Shogun, the Balorian Crusade put an end to his scheming and questing, and he and his armies perished before the eye of Balor long before he could fulfill his quest. His ghost, however, lingers on in the Underworld, where he still works towards the completion of his final quest, a steady adherent to the will of the Neverborn, the whims of the Nephwracks and the commands of the Deathlords.

Not all quests are as demanding as those of the Shogun of the End, but he is one of the most legendary adherents of this Ritual.

Shaping Rituals

Successful completion of a quest immediately garners the Sorcerer 20sm that she may use any time within the next three days.

The Sorcerer may stunt how a spell reinforces her Principle, and gains (3+Stunt rating)sm once per scene.

The Sorcerer may violate her Principle by paying up to 3 points of willpower. For every point so spent, she reduces the intensity of her Principle by one and gains 5sm in addition to any she gains from a Shape Sorcery action. However, she may only do this in a scene where her principle starts at a defining level, and should she ever reduce her principle to nothing, she loses access to this shaping ritual and any related until she atones by retaking her vigil, and questing once more until her Principle is once more at Defining. None have ever been granted another chance after reducing their Principle to nothing a second time, and indeed are cursed like those who intentionally failed to complete their quests.

Merits

The Fires of Passion(2-dot Merit): The Sorcerer may unleash blasts of force appropriate to her principle. Those who follow Valor often hurl blasts of cold, harsh light, or call lightning from the sky to strike their foes, while those follow Temperance often call up gray mists that turn the flesh of their foes to stone or marble. Those who follow Compassion, while their weapons do deal lethal damage just like all others, need never fear the infection of wounds or death falling upon their foes if they do not wish it. Mechanically, the merit is otherwise identical to The Burning Name. No training time is needed to learn this power in the days following the completion of the 2nd or subsequent quests.

Visions of a Perfect World(4-dot Merit): The Sorcerer gains an additional means to any Working that aids her Principle. If the Working would embody her Principle instead of merely aiding it, she also reduces its difficulty by 1. No training time is required to learn this power in the days following the completion of the 5th or subsequent quests.

Enlightenment of (Principle) (5-dot Merit): The Sorcerer gains +1 dice to all actions that embody her principle, and reduces any difficulties of such actions by 1. Furthermore, her body now acts as a perfect channel of essence for such Principle. Design a Greater Hearthstone that represents the Principle. This grows out of the Sorcerers body at some point appropriate to the Principle. Compassion might produce a Stone of Innocents Protection, for example. No training time is necessary to develop this power following the completion of the 8th or subsequent quests.

Embodying the Force of Principle(5-dot Merit): The Sorcerer gains the use of a charm identical to Glorious Solar Sabre, save that the cost of the charm may be paid in sorcerous motes left over after she casts a spell. She may develop evocations for this artifact as normal. This merit requires no training time after the Twelfth Quest is completed.

The Eternal Quest(3-dot Merit): So long as she holds the Principle at a defining level, any time the sorcerer upholds her Principle and this brings her hardship that could have been avoided by violating the Principle, treat it as the completion of a Quest. This merit may only be purchased after completing the Twelfth Quest.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

That seems a reasonable assumption, yeah. I was writing it at a time before I really grasped how many dice tricks there were in the Solar charmset, so it didn't occur to me to do that. Generally, I think I wrote it with the assumption that it would change the excellency, possibly the dice pool, and very little else, though I might do it differently if I had the time to rewrite it in a significant way at this point in time.

All that I write but don't cite is simply my perspective, colored by my experiences and beliefs. I extrapolate a lot, too, so don't take it too seriously. :P

Comment

• Has anyone converted the Salinan, Silurian, or Devonian schools to 3rd ed as initiations with shaping rituals and merits yet?

EDIT:

Just found Salinian by LadyLens
            Comment #108 in this thread
            Last edited by Major; 08-12-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• I'm sure that coming.

Or SHOULD be. Get on it writers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Major View Post
                Has anyone converted the Salinan, Silurian, or Devonian schools to 3rd ed as initiations with shaping rituals and merits yet?
                I could swear I've seen a homebrew of the Salinan initiation, but I can't find it for the life of me. If I did, it was over a year ago at least.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

• (PEACH)
                  Hello all, this Sorcerous Initiation came to me while a player and I were working out a initiation similar to Mara's, but in this case the player asked for something from Orabilis so I used the Roll of Glorious Divinity write up for him, and had a little flash of inspiration crossing him with Hemaeus Mora from Skyrim in my head, and the awful stuff that happened to Pablo on Ash vs. Evil Dead. My biggest concerns are the balance of the evocations with the shaping rituals.

Secrets of Orabilis
                  This sorcerous initiation draws upon the ancient secrets that Orabilis has tried to conceal, taking his knowledge within yourself is the easy part, however surviving the experience and learning to shift his curses upon others is the difficult part.

Shaping Rituals:
                  Power from Black Secrets
                  Like Orabilis you draw power from forbidden knowledge, however unlike him your power grows the more his attention is diverted by others learning these dark secrets. Whenever you take a shape sorcery action while within medium range of a character who knows any of the dark secrets of Orabilis you gain additional sorcerous motes equal to the depth of their knowledge. This is calculated through their Lore skill on a 1 for 1 basis, however if they are afflicted by the Dark Secrets evocation this increases by 3, and by 5 if they have been exposed to the Blasphemous Secrets evocation. The sorcerer can not draw more than 10 motes from this shaping ritual per scene.

Punish the Seeker
                  When the sorcerer teaches a willing mortal, the dark secrets of Orabilis she may choose to immediately feed their soul to Orabilis by directing his attention to them. In return he provides further power of sorcery to this seeker. The extracted soul visibly burns in chains forged of your anima, as you see the ultimate punishment for those who seek forbidden knowledge without the wisdom to protect themselves. As a miscellaneous action, the sorcerer may roll (Essence + Willpower) and gaining that many sorcerous motes. She retains these motes until the end of the scene, and may spend them towards any spells she casts. Additionally, a bound soul may be reflexively expended in place of a point of Willpower when paying the cost of the sorcerer’s control spell. She cannot have more than (Essence + Occult) souls bound to her at one time.

The Black Book

The sorcerer draws power from ancient knowledge drawing it's power directly into him or her. Whenever she begins a scene near books she has yet to read, she gains 3 sorcerous motes, which last until the end of the scene and can be spent towards any spells he or she casts. Additionally, whenever she takes a shape sorcery action to shape a spell while within a library, she gains an additional sorcerous mote as long as the spell affects the sorcerer.

Merits:

Infernal Nobility (Merit •): Demons recognize the sorcerer as one who has avoided the wrath of Orabilis. First Circle demons are treated as having a Minor Tie of terrified awe towards her, while Second and Third Circle demons have a positive Minor Tie of respect, or some variation suited to their nature.

Demonic Tutor (Merit ••): One of the Black Tutors of this path appears in the sorcerer’s dreams, feeding her with fragments of the incinerated souls that Orabilis has punished. Once per story, the sorcerer’s player may declare that she is visited by a Tutor in a dream while sleeping. She does not recover Willpower from that sleep, but receives some significant benefit determined by the Storyteller such as tutelage in a new spell in a single night, double 9s on all shape sorcery spells for the next day, the service of a First Circle demon as an enslaved spirit, or something similar. She also wakes with a Minor Principle of “I take pleasure in sharing cursed knowledge,” or strengthens that Intimacy if she already possesses it.

D
                  emonic Script Tattoos (Merit •••): The Black Tutors have marked the sorcerer, taking one or more of the destroyed souls and rendering it down into a midnight-black tattoo that contains the forbidden knowledge of Orabilis. The sorcerer may unlock the following Evocations from these tattoos, or manipulate or empower summoned demons, such as by turning them into the seekers of old.
                  Evocations:
                  Black Secrets
                  Cost: 3m; Mins: Essence 1
                  Type: Simple
                  Keywords: Decisive-only, Black Secrets
                  Duration: Scene
                  Prerequisites: None, (Free with purchase of the Demonic Script Tattoos)

This evocation is the first of those provided by the Demonic Script Tattoos, it allows you to target an enemy within the range of your voice, and pass onto them the blackest of secrets this spreads across across the ground like a black shadow before crawling up their skin revealing lines of text, it then sweeps over their eyes blinding them as these dark things demand to be read.

This works in one of two ways either as a Decisive Gambit, that ignores cover and uses an artifact thrown attack with the dice pool being Manipulation + Linguistics roll at up to medium range to curse your foe, or as a normal Decisive Attack at up to medium range. As a Gambit, if you hit or miss you spend 4 initiative, but do not reset your initiative as normal for a gambit.

Blinding Words (Difficulty 3): If you get 3 successes on the decisive damage roll your target is blind for the scene. This applies a -3 penalty to all actions requiring sight for the scene. This penalty will also draw the attention of any of Orabilis Seekers that are in the area, likely causing more harm to the unfortunate soul so cursed.
                  Words of the Damned: Instead of blinding someone with these secrets you may instead scar and burn their flesh with these secrets as they try to burrow within this new vessel.

Blasphemous Secrets
                  Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 2
                  Type: Simple
                  Keywords: Blasphemous Secrets
                  Duration: Scene
                  Prerequisites: Black Secrets

This evocation is even more powerful than Dark Secrets allowing withering attacks and adding ½ of the speakers willpower to their decisive damage roll, and ignores hardness. If this attack kills a target the soul is immediately torn from their body and cast to the space between the shells of Malfeas where it will be burnt to ash providing the caster sorcery motes equal to their current initiative or the health levels they took in the attack whichever is higher.

Comment

• Hey!
                    For some reason, metric ton of tags in your post Citadel97501
                    So I'm going to comment here, instead of working through quotes.

The shaping rituals seem...niche. The first two bascially requires an evocation to be generally useful (As the secrets of Orabilis aren't something most mortals know anyway), although the second one is basically a pedagogical version of Mara. Something with general knowledge or secrets might be more appropiate. The third one seems fine.

Demonic Script Tatoos need to note that only Essence Users have their evocations.
                    I'm a tad confused as to what the gambit does (Is it just a blinding gambit instead of damage? Is Words of the Damned just the name for the decisive attack?). It does give me this image of a sorcerer in a library tower, hording knowledge and surrounded by poor sods he's inflicted secrets on, so they can no longer see.

Does blasphemous secrets help the gambit?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                      Hey!
                      For some reason, metric ton of tags in your post Citadel97501
                      So I'm going to comment here, instead of working through quotes.

The shaping rituals seem...niche. The first two bascially requires an evocation to be generally useful (As the secrets of Orabilis aren't something most mortals know anyway), although the second one is basically a pedagogical version of Mara. Something with general knowledge or secrets might be more appropiate. The third one seems fine.

Demonic Script Tatoos need to note that only Essence Users have their evocations.
                      I'm a tad confused as to what the gambit does (Is it just a blinding gambit instead of damage? Is Words of the Damned just the name for the decisive attack?). It does give me this image of a sorcerer in a library tower, hording knowledge and surrounded by poor sods he's inflicted secrets on, so they can no longer see.

Does blasphemous secrets help the gambit?
                      Sorry about the tags, the shaping rituals were heavily built off of Mara's initiation. Power from Black Secrets, my intent was its more that any points of lore provide the bonus as it's more the caster is using his own knowledge of the secrets & guile to blame his target which gets him the extra points of sorcery motes. The Blindness gambit does just blind them but as they were struck by the evocation it's keyword should add more motes to be drained with Power from Black Secrets. Words of the Damned is just a cool name for the decisive attack I thought a thematic name was a good idea. Blasphemous Secrets would make the damage higher allowing the gambit to work more often, and it would make the withering or decisive damage attacks much higher by adding 1/2 of willpower to the damage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Citadel97501 View Post

Sorry about the tags,
                        The tags are a result of copy-pasting into the forum text window. You can;t see them when you copy paste because the formatting tags are hidden from you. They are not hidden when someone goes to quote you. You can remove the formatting by either going to edit your post, open the text formatting toolbar (The big 'A' in the top right of the text window) and click the remove format button (looks like: "TX" second from the left in the formatting toolbar OR by using the paste as plain text button in the toolbar (clipboard with a T in a box in the bottom right) and just replacing your old entry..

Comment

Working...
                        X