(Ex3) Weapon Art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Ex3) Weapon Art

I don't know about anyone else, but I have been somewhat disappointed in a number of the art pieces in Exalted. The worst offender for me is in the equipment section as it gives example pictures of mundane and artifact weapons. They appear to be poorly designed, incredibly boring (or incredibly cheesy/cartoonish) examples.

I'm not trying to be a needless complainer here, but I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this?

The armor pieces are mostly good or at least OK. The daiklaves are very bland. Mortals weapons are OK too.

Comment

No, I agree with you. The weapons all look like bad 3D models pulled from freebie Unity libraries. The armour looks good, but the weapons look cheap.

I especially dislike that the Firewand is literally a Winchester Repeater.

Comment

Originally posted by CodeBreaker View Post
        No, I agree with you. The weapons all look like bad 3D models pulled from freebie Unity libraries. The armour looks good, but the weapons look cheap.

I especially dislike that the Firewand is literally a Winchester Repeater.
        Shining Ice Mirror and Spring Razor are... horrendously uninspiring.

Freedom's Cadence looks like it was done in MS Paint and is my most hated image in the entire book.

Comment

I am very disappointed in the artwork for the equipment section, especially in contrast to the previous edition.

I'm sorry devs, but this is just subpar.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Yes. Exalted 3e ranks third when it comes to weapon art by some margin. If you can't make great art for each weapon just do it like 1e did and only have art for some of the weapons. I'm especially disappointed with the art for the Daiklaive and Grimcleavers.

Comment

Yeah, the art for these things looks....wrong. Very....3D sculpty or something. It's a bit distracting.

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post

Shining Ice Mirror and Spring Razor are... horrendously uninspiring.

Freedom's Cadence looks like it was done in MS Paint and is my most hated image in the entire book.
                Shining Ice Mirror is the Yukianesa from BlazBlue and no one shall tell me otherwise. Not even the book. <,<

Freedom's Cadence does look bad if not terrible though.
                Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Is it again the rule for people to tell me what are the Artifact weapon's fluff-scriptions, maybe I can whip up some weapon doodles this weekend ^_^

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                    Is it again the rule for people to tell me what are the Artifact weapon's fluff-scriptions, maybe I can whip up some weapon doodles this weekend ^_^
                    ... Huh, I don't think that's against any of the rules. I'd post a sample one here, but the description for Best Sword Adorei is mostly about her history and less about her appearance.

Edit: Well, here's the writeup for the Green Jade Daiklave, Spring Razor. Of note: Most of her Evocations can only be unlocked by someone with Dex 4+ and App 4+ who lacks the Hideous flaw. Clearly Spring Razor doesn't like fuglies.

Long ago, in the remote jungles of the Silent Crescent, there once dwelt a hateful dragon named Vasshir. Its claws were cracking oak, its eyes two glittering emeralds, and its mane was a fragrant and beautiful wash of drifting petals. Its breath was sweet and heavy with poison, and in its wake it left towns filled with peacefully smiling corpses. A sworn brotherhood of Dragon-Blooded heroes slew Vasshir, and one of their number, Cynis Katen, carved out its most fragrant and poisonous fang and carried it home. Carefully calibrating the flames of her forge, she smelted down a fortune in green jade and the finest steel of the Blessed Isle, and set to make a weapon worthy of commemorating her brothers’ triumph. Month by month she labored, coaxing together wood and Essence and
                    molten jade, for it was her intent to never once scorch or scar the wood dragon’s tooth as she made it the core of
                    Spring Razor. Year by year she heated and cooled the steel and jade and chanted efficacious chants to safeguard the wood. Decade by decade she sought out or imported deadly saps and oils and worked these into the daiklave’s blade. At last, in Realm Year 632, the year Katen noticed the first grey streaks in her hair, Spring Razor was quenched in the sap of a tree planted on the same day its forging began, and deemed ready for battle.

Spring Razor is a double-edged daiklave with a slight curve to its blade, and is a deep and shining green from tip to hilt. Its guard is fashioned as a tangle of flowering brambles. The blade itself cherishes only elegance, beauty, and death, and unfolds its Essence to those who best embody those things. Cynis Katen insisted that Spring Razor is the most pure expression of a venomous artifact to have emerged from a forge during the reign of the Scarlet Empress, though the wielders of other weapons such as
                    the longfang Helltooth and the powerbow Green Death beg to differ.

Spring Razor boasts a two hearthstone sockets hidden within the brambles of its guard.
                    Last edited by Kyman201; 10-24-2015, 02:42 AM. Reason: Ah what the hell?

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

I pretty much agree here. I will however say I like the look of the artifact Reinforced Buff Jacket there, as I've always felt the standard look was a bit silly.

"Won't you believe in him? Even if there is no God, or Buddha...there is still Kamen Rider." —Taki Kazuya, Kamen Rider SPIRITS

Now...count up all your sins.

Comment

Grand Grimcleaver looks awesome.

It seems Daiklaives in general was on a Diet, they are very "thin" now

Though grimcleavers look like poleaxes

Comment

Originally posted by Ncolic View Post
                          Grand Grimcleaver looks awesome.

It seems Daiklaives in general was on a Diet, they are very "thin" now

Though grimcleavers look like poleaxes
                          Apparently one of the chakram pictures was blatantly taken from a video game, so I was wondering how many of those 'basic' artifact weapons were stolen from other games. Like, maybe the example Grimcleaver is from Diablo? I don't know.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

I wonder if it's a real possibility that a new round of artwork could be commissioned for Ex3 before it launches for real-real. From what I've been hearing, the quality of some of the art pieces does not at all speak to the nearly $700 000 that was raised for Ex3 through the Kickstarter.

Comment

Originally posted by wulf View Post
                              I wonder if it's a real possibility that a new round of artwork could be commissioned for Ex3 before it launches for real-real. From what I've been hearing, the quality of some of the art pieces does not at all speak to the nearly $700 000 that was raised for Ex3 through the Kickstarter.
                              The $700,000 was raised for the Deluxe Edition - it covered the costs of printing the metal cover, of shipping extraordinarily heavy books in mint condition to anywhere in the world, etcetera, etcetera.

IIRC, we were assured during the Kickstarter that Ex3 would be happening, and that the Deluxe Edition Kickstarter's success would not impinge heavily on Ex3 itself. Ergo, it's reasonable to assume that while Ex3 had a "new edition core" art budget, it did not have a $700,000 budget for making the book pretty.

Comment

Working...
                              X