Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survival is Fury, the monster reborn (EX3)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survival is Fury, the monster reborn (EX3)

So… yeah, I made a thing. I know IMS is normally considered to be 2e’s Infernal Brawl of sorts, but I liked the style enough to turn it into a Martial Art, and with a few minor changes, I think you can totally make an Infernal Brawler out of this if you want to. This is my first thing that I made using 3e rules, and I, like most at the moment, am not completely familiar with them yet. So if I get something wrong, I am sorry.

With all that said, here goes:

Obligatory Soup Joke: An Infernal Monster eats his soup with his hands,burns his hand and suddenly remembers the many times before that soup has burnt him, and it makes him mad. When he gets out of his flashback, he is full, but his plate has been smashed to splinters. People seem to not be approving of his table-manners.

Infernal Monster Style
    Originally developed by a corrupted Solar called Thrice-Damned Gorol, Infernal Monster Style has since then become one the most practiced martial arts in Malfeas. Combining a pragmatic, savage fighting style with a mockery of the Solar Exalted and a philosophy of hatred, it was natural to become wanted in the streets of hell. The style has very little in terms of philosophy, and relies mostly on a teacher beating his students until one gets strong and angry enough to kill his teacher, and thus inherit the school. Most that walk the path of the Infernal Monster are slaves, silently hating their Sifu, unwilling to act upon their instincts. But beware of those that threw off these chains and acted for themselves.

Infernal Monster Weapons: The Infernal Monster Style can be used with weapons with the Brawl tag. They generally use their hands, either as fists, or as claws in a mockery of Tiger Style. Improvised objects, such as sand, rocks or enemy body parts are commonly incorporated into the style. Any unarmed attack enhanced by a Infernal Monster Charm can always be stunted to deal lethal damage.

Armor: Infernal Monster Style may be practiced in light armour, or in heavier types or armour if the armour is demonic in nature.

Completementary Abilities: Infernal Monster practicioners fight with nothing more than their instincts, and their immensely trained bodies, thus athletics is a good recommendation.

Retribution Will Follow
    Cost: 2m; Mins: Martial Arts 2, Essence 1
    Type: Reflexive
    Keywords: None
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: None
    While the Infernal Monster always fights with the fury of an animal, injuring her turns her into a near-mindless berserker, unhindered by her own wounds. Upon suffering at least one level of damage during combat, the martial artist may activate this charm. She is treated as having the Berserk Anger virtue flaw and being in Limit Break. The roll penalties she suffers from lost health levels are reduced by 1 as long as she is in this state. Unlike a normal Limit Break, She does not lose Limit when Retribution Will Follow ends.

If a battle was especially cathartic for the martial artist, she may lose up to one point of Limit at the end of the battle, if Retribution Will Follow was activated. This is done at the Storyteller's caution.

Raging Behemoth Charge
    Cost: 4m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 1
    Keywords: Mastery, Terrestrial
    Duration: Instant
    Prerequisite Charms: None
    Though many have tried, few are capable of escaping the Infernal Monster’s wrath.
    The martial artist gains doubles on every 8 and 9 she rolls on a rush action, or on roll when her opponent tries to disengage. If her opponent fails to disengage, she may reflexively perform a withering attack. This does not count as her combat action this turn. If the opponent is thrown or punched out of close range, the martial artist may reflexively activate this Charm to perform a Rush action to chase them down, this Rush action gains the benefits from Raging Behemoth Charge.

Mastery: If her opponent fails to disengage, the martial artist gains two points of initiative

Terrestrial: Only her 9's are doubled.

Infernal Monster Form
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Form, Terrestrial, Mastery
    Duration: One Scene
    Prerequisite Charms: Retribution Will Follow, Raging Behemoth Charge

Unholy strength surges through the martial artist’s body, transforming her body into a vessel of demonic power and bestial rage. Her visage becoming a mask of distilled, violent insanity. She gains +(Essence/2), rounded up dots in Strength for as long as she stays in this form. On a successful decisive attack, your opponent is always knocked down. She may parry lethal and ranged attacks barehanded.
    When this form is activated, the martial artist performs an Influence roll to instill an intimacy of fear for Infernal Monster Style towards anyone who is not an ally within short range that can observe the action. This effect does not work on people already familiar with Infernal Monster Style. It can only be performed once per scene.

Special Activation Rules: If the martial artist suffers one point of damage through a decisive blow and uses Retribution Will Follow, she may reflexively activate Infernal Monster Form.

Mastery: A (Strength+Martial Arts) roll can be used in place of the normal influence roll.

Terrestrial: The martial artist gains (Essence/2), rounded down instead.

God-Smashing Blow
    Cost: 5m (or 5m, 1 w); Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: Uniform, Mastery
    Prerequisite Charms: Infernal Monster Form
    The martial artist raises one of her limbs and drops it down upon her opponent, driving her victim into the ground.
    This technique can only be performed on an enemy that is prone.
    If the martial artist perform a withering attack, add (Essence or Three, whichever is higher) to the raw damage roll. If she performs a decisive attack, add (Essence or three, whichever is higher) to the initiative roll.
    The surface the character is laying on is dealt (raw damage+Essence) damage, often destroying structures and leaving craters wherever this technique is performed.
    If the martial artist is fighting a creature that can dematerialize, she may spend 1 willpower to force this spirit to dematerialize upon being hit. Splattering his body in a gory display of blood and viscera. Although it appears the spirit’s life has come to a messy end, he is no more injured than normal, outside of being immaterial in addition to being knocked prone. If a spirit does not have the motes to dematerialize, he lose the rest of his motes and one point of willpower, and dematerialize automatically.

Mastery: Upon performing this technique, all enemy within close range must roll (Agility + Athletics) versus the martial artist’s (Strength+Martial Arts), if they fail, they are knocked prone.

Fist Of The Old Ones
    Cost: 6m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2
    Type: Simple
    Keywords: Mastery, Terrestrial
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: God-Smashing Blow
    With a single strike, the martial artist sends her opponent flying, turning men from soldiers to ragdolls with a simple display of strength.
    This Charm is a decisive attack on an enemy, the martial artist flings her opponent backwards until he either collides with something, or until gravity lets him hit the ground. He can’t be flung further away than short range. Upon hitting a surface or a wall, he receives falling damage corresponding with the distance travelled, a short distance travelled equals the damage of a short fall. When this charm is used, the effect of God-Smashing blow is also applied on her opponent, even when he is standing. The Mastery effect of God-Smashing Blow is not applicable when the Charm is used on a standing target. This charm can not be enhanced by Charms that normally enhance decisive attacks.
    This charm is not allowed in a flurry, with the exception being Joyful Cessation of Restraint.

At Essence 5, This technique’s range is expanded to medium range.
    When the enemy hits a surface, it is dealt damage equal to (raw damage + Essence).

Mastery: If the decisive attack succeeds, the martial artist may target a second enemy within short range (medium at Essence 5) , then perform a thrown attack on that enemy, using her first victim as the projectile. She can substitute Thrown for Martial Arts and Dexterity for Strength when rolling for this attack.

Terrestrial: Her range is not expanded at Essence 5.

Gate-Crumbling Barrage
    Cost: 3m, 1w; Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 2
    Keywords: Withering-only, Terrestrial, Mastery
    Prerequisite Charm: Infernal Demon Form
    The martial artist's fists fall down upon her opponent like hail, slowly tearing his defenses apart.
    If the martial artist performs a withering attack, she may add her (Martial Arts/2), rounded up, to the onslaught penalty she inflicts. This onslaught penalty lasts until the end of the martial artist's next turn.

Terrestrial: She adds her(Martial Arts/2), rounded down, instead.

Mastery: The martial artist may apply the onslaught penalty before rolling against her opponent’s defence.

Joyful Cessation of Restraint
    Cost: 10m, 1w; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2
    Keywords: Perilous, Terrestrial
    Prerequisite Charms: Gate-Crumbling Barrage
    A fire ignires in the martial artist's eyes, her limbs becoming a blur of inescapable strikes. This Charm enhances a flurry, letting the user perform up to 3 actions as long as at least 2 of them are attacks. All these attacks have to be performed on one target. She can perform multiple attacks of the same type, the final attack must, however, be a decisive attack. She suffers no roll penalty for this flurry, but her defense is lowered by 3 instead of by 1. Her defense penalty lasts until the turn after her next turn. In addition, if a decisive attack in this flurry fails, the amount of initiative she loses from failing that decisive attack is doubled.

Terrestrial: She suffers the normal roll penalties for a flurry.

World-Breaker Grip
    Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2
    Keywords: Decisive-only, Mastery
    Duration: until end of Grapple
    Prerequisite Charms: Infernal Monster Style
    The martial artist holds an opponent in her iron grasp, using her victim as a nothing more than a tool to deliver more carnage.
    Upon performing a successful grapple, the martial artist may use the opponent as a weapon. The nature of this weapon is dependent on the creature she has grappled, but a normal human is considered to be an improvised heavy weapon with reach and smashing. Upon using World-Breaker Grip, the martial artist is considered to have restrained her opponent until the end of her turn. She does not suffer the usual penalties for being in a grapple, but her victim does. When she performs an attack with her new weapon, it deal damage to the person she is grappling as if he is being savaged. If she attacks more than once on a turn, her victim is treated as being saveged only once. If she misses her attacks with her victim, the victim does not take damage. If the martial artist is using World-Breaker Grip, she is able to use flurries, but not on the person she is wielding.
    When the target is thrown, the range of the throw is expanded to short range.
    If the martial artist also knows Fist Of The Old Ones, and she throws her target with World-Breaker Grip, she may use them as a thrown weapon towards another target, as described in the Mastery section for Fist Of The Old Ones.

Mastery: The person you wield is considered an artefact. You are not able to develop Evocations for them.

Screaming Meat Shield
    Cost: 5m, 3i; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3
    Keywords: Uniform, Terrestrial, Perilous
    Prerequisite Charms: World-Breaker Grip
    Attacking the Infernal Monster after she has grabbed a victim is a desperate situation, since you might hit your ally instead. Upon being attacked while grappling another person, the martial artist may defend against this attack by redirecting it to the person she is holding. For the purpose of defending, her victims initiative, soak and defence are used. This charm can only be activated once per scene until it is reset by grabbing a different victim.

Terrestrial: In addition to having an opponent grappled, the martial artist must have World-Breaker Grip activated.

Mastery: If the martial artist also has World-Breaker Grip activated, the person they are holding suffers minus 2 to their defense.

One Hand Fury
    Cost: - (2m per point, 1 w); Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3
    Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Mastery, Terrestrial, Uniform
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: Fist Of The Old Ones, Joyful Cessation Of Restraint, Screaming Meat Shield
    Those that have mastered the path of the Infernal Monster are blessed with a new, terrifying weapon. One of her hands mutates into a monstrous claw. This weapon is considered a Medium artefact weapon with Bashing, Brawl, Natural and Grappling and one of the following: Chopping, Disarming, Piercing, Shield or Smashing. This weapon is considered a form weapon for any style that uses unarmed strikes.
    This claw has +2 strength compared to the rest of the body.
    If the claw is severed or in some other way removed, it disintegrates, and a new one grows from the stump within 2 two weeks, though this may be sped up with Medicine Charms.
    By spending 1 willpower, the martial artist is capable of further increasing her unholy power, increasing the strength of her next attack for 2m per dot of strength. The maximum extra number of dots in Strength is equal to her Martial Arts rating. She may substitute her Dexterity for her Strength in the first step of an attack action when she activates this ability.

Terrestrial: She does not get to pick any of the extra tags.

Mastery: The martial artist may develop evocations for this artefact.

Again, I am only tinkering with the rules, I have no idea how balanced this is. I know it's mayor weaknesses are it's near lack of countering options, and no ability to soak. So get resistance when you try to use this style.
    Last edited by While My Guitar; 11-09-2015, 12:19 PM.

I made some Martial Arts for 3e, look at them here and here.

This is a valliant effort, but you didn't exactly pick a practice run there.

Retribution Will Follow is too good. I understand that the more-berserk-than-berserk aspect is a hefty drawback, but consider that the only other Charm that completely negates wound penalties in the game right now is already a berserk Charm, and while it does a bunch more it also costs a total of 15m, 1wp and two Simple actions to activate. A reflexive 2m is far, far too good. Wound penalties matter now.

Raging Behemoth Charge adds successes, which is generally a bad idea. Yes, there are success-adders in the system, but they're designed with certain quirks in mind. Consider replacing it with a different mechanic. The Charm is generally messily written and unclear exactly on what precisely its effects do and how they interact with the opponent's actions. I would rewrite it fully.

As written, Infernal Monster Form doesn't have a social influence roll, suggesting it automatically instills an Intimacy, which is crazy good; but the Mastery benefit makes it clear there's supposed to be a roll. I suggest editing for clarity.

God-Smashing Blow is too expensive for a Charm that adds a single die to damage, and far too cheap for a Charm that adds 5. This speaks to a problem with the Style as a whole: way too many of its effects key off Essence. A chargen user will suck even with Supernal Martial Arts, whereas an E5 user will be too overwhelmingly efficient.

As written, Fist of the Old Ones permanently enhance all your decisive attacks. Clarify. It also makes GSB straight up too powerful.

Pay Violence Unto Violence is just plain weird. "A decisive attack against the opponent's base Initiative" is not something that makes sense or needs to exist.

Joyful Cessation of Restraint is another "worthless at chargen, murder at E5" power.

I have no idea where World-Breaker Grip sits. Tentatively fine?

Screaming Meat Shield should break up the grapple and be 1/scene with a reset clause of grabbing another, different hapless victim. It's both more balanced and more fun.

Artifact hand has too many good tags. "Agility" isn't a trait and the sentence including it is highly confusing.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

As Omicron said, I think Retribution Will Follow is too powerful. The drawback is big, but I'd give it a willpower cost at the absolute least, and even then it might still be too good. Also, you probably want to clarify that the user has to take decisive damage, you just say damage so it could be read to trigger off the first withering attack you take.

Raging Behemoth Charge is a good idea and seems to fit the style. Comparing it with say Seconds Between Strife makes the automatic successes seem fairly balanced, 1 automatic success is neat but not OP. But the charm could use some general clarifications. There's also an incomplete sentence "This does not count-"

Infernal Monster Form: One extra dot of strength is neat, but nothing really powerful. The automatic knockdown is the real treat here, forcing your enemy to flurry standing up and making him vulnerable to a follow-up. The price is very low and the trigger fairly easy to get, but the somewhat small benefits of the Form seem to make up for it.

God-Smashing Blow: I'd just say it adds (Essence) to the raw damage of both withering and decisive attacks. What happens if the Spirit doesn't have the motes to dematerialise? Does the effect fail, does it lose all its motes and dematerialise, does the Solar pay the remaining motes?

Fist of the Old Ones: I'd just use "He" to refer to the enemy being hit instead of "They". This probably needs duration Permanent if type is Permanent. Also, wow this is powerful. Basically adding falling damage to every decisive attack you ever make at no cost is incredibly powerful. Give it a cost, a usage restriction or let the target roll something to avoid the effect. Also, the way this is written the attack doesn't even need to hit.

Pay Violence Unto Violence: As Omicron said, I don't really know what this is supposed to do either.

Joyful Cessation of Restraint: The Mastery effect is what makes this good, without that it's pretty worthless unless you have allies teaming up on an enemy or can make Onslaught stick around. Not a huge concern assuming you want to use this with Solars, but I thought it bears mentioning. The willpower cost means it's not spamable, which is good, I guess.

World-Breaker Grip : Does this apply the usual penalties for grappling to the user? I'd guess not, but might want to clarify. Also, does the damage to the enemy being wielded apply even if the attack with him misses?

Screaming Meat Shield: Should have the Perilious tag since it costs init, I believe. And some way for the target to get free or the attack to still hit you would probably be necessary.

One Hand Fury: Too many tags and Agility isn't a thing. Duration of Permanent charms is Permanent. Essence will almost never go over 5, I'd just save some wordcount and make the max your MA rating. Raising your strength on a decisive attack won't do anything.

Some of me humble homebrew for ex3:
      Artifacts for Crumple's DB homebrew
      Some Lintha QCs
      A Wyld Behemoth

Comment

Thank you very much for you criticism. I have adjust the various charms according to your suggestions.

RWF has been weakened severely, reducing your penalties from health-levels by 1 instead of removing them completely.

RBC has been altered completely, as suggested, it's a touch simple now, but it works. It makes the martial artist good at chasing people and punishes people for trying to run away.

Infernal Monster Form has been clarified.

God-Smashing Blow has been adjusted to be better at essence 2 and 3, and it has been increased in cost

Fist of the Old One has been clarified, and it's effect on none-prone targets has been halfed.

Pay Violence Onto Violence has been removed for now, I still need to figure out a way to make a charm for that.

Joyful Cessation has been changed.

Screaming Meat Shield has been adjusted.

One Hand Fury has been altered, and the secondary ability has been clarified.

Edit: adjusting based on TDS' observations right now. Thank you for your critical eye

Perilous means you can not use it if you are in Initiative Crash.

I was considering making the onslaught penalty of Joyful Cessation stick around until the end of the martial artist's next turn, so she at least gains a chance to capitalize on the penalty she herself inflicted. Which would be terrifying, but since it costs willpower, it can not be spammed.
        Last edited by While My Guitar; 10-24-2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Aand updated.

Most of the charms have been clarified for easier reading.

Retribution Will Follow has been severely nerfed.
          Raging Behemoth Charge still has it's 'hit people if they mess up' element, but now you get to make rerolls instead of gaining successes.
          Pay Violence onto Violence has been removed completely and replaced with Gate-Crumbling Barrage, which is the previous version of Joyful Cessation
          Joyful Cessation has become a flurry of attacks once again, however, it is quite a risky one, though, it still might be too good.
          Various charms have been clarified, and most have gotten a decent amount of balance, I think.
          One Hand Fury, while still having a lot of tags to choose from, only lets you pick one now, and terrestrials don't even get that.

I hope it's better now, if anything is unclear, I am sorry, English is not my first language, so I sometimes use sentence structure that doesn't exactly make sense in English.

Comment

I love the Style, in fact my Kimbery-worshipping Twilight character I am playing currently is using the Style and I am having immense fun with it.

I think it's extremely fun to play with, and allows for some wickedly fun Stunts.

But a thing that both me and my Storyteller thought would be fun, would be if Retribution Will Follow would allow one to reduce one's Limit by one if you win a battle against a certain amount of non-trivial opponents while having the Charm active due to the cathartic experience.
            Last edited by ManusDomine; 11-09-2015, 12:10 PM.

Darkframe - Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.

"The weeping in the world will not decrease if we do not weep together."

Comment

Originally posted by ManusDomine View Post
              I love the Style, in fact my Kimbery-worshipping Eclipse character I am playing currently is using the Style and I am having immense fun with it.

I think it's extremely fun to play with, and allows for some wickedly fun Stunts.

But a thing that both me and my Storyteller thought would be fun, would be if Retribution Will Follow would allow one to reduce one's Limit by one if you win a battle against a certain amount of non-trivial opponents while having the Charm active due to the cathartic experience.
              Well for one, I am glad that you enjoy using it.

But to answer your question... I had not considered that, I might implement that.
              Last edited by While My Guitar; 11-09-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by While My Guitar View Post
                Well for one, I am glad that you enjoy using it.

But to answer your question... I had not considered that, I might implement that.

It is absolutely hilarious to use when all the other players are adamant about having to protect me as their frail craftswoman and only ship captain (We are playing in the West), and when we get boarded by the Realm and the Dawn and Zenith start to take out their Daiklaves...

And then you join them in the fray with a look of demonic insanity on your face as you chant hymns to the Great Mother in the tongue of the Lintha and your first action is to jump-leap-charge to the other ship and start ripping it apart with your bare hands.

Darkframe - Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.

Comment

Originally posted by ManusDomine View Post

It is absolutely hilarious to use when all the other players are adamant about having to protect me as their frail craftswoman and only ship captain (We are playing in the West), and when we get boarded by the Realm and the Dawn and Zenith start to take out their Daiklaves...

And then you join them in the fray with a look of demonic insanity on your face as you chant hymns to the Great Mother in the tongue of the Lintha and your first action is to jump-leap-charge to the other ship and start ripping it apart with your bare hands.
                  I am so proud!

Also, the fact that you made your character a frail shipcaptain lady was actually one of the reasons I changed the flavor-text for Infernal Monster Form. Since not EVERYONE wants their violent, psychotic savage to be a huge, ripped figure.

Anyway, your suggestion has been added.

Comment

Originally posted by While My Guitar View Post
                    I am so proud!

Also, the fact that you made your character a frail shipcaptain lady was actually one of the reasons I changed the flavor-text for Infernal Monster Form. Since not EVERYONE wants their violent, psychotic savage to be a huge, ripped figure.

Anyway, your suggestion has been added.

Cool!

The style is fucking glorious, I stunted World-Breaker Grip, to literally rip the mast of an enemy ship and impale the fucking ship with it, then I grapped a mortal and swung him so fast that I turned him and the dude I hit to fucking gore.

I didn't realize how much I've missed this style.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X