Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overshee's charm card generator

Hi all,

Whipped up a tool to create charm cards from a google docs spreadsheet. It generates LaTeX code which compiles into fairly nice(?) charm cards. Here's a sample PDF.

Instructions:
    1. Create a google docs spreadsheet and paste charms straight from the book into individual cells like this
    2. Go to Tools > Script Editor and paste in this code
    3. Hit the 'Run' button in the toolbar
    4. This will generate a new Document in your root google drive folder called 'charm cards'
    5. Paste the generated code into an online LaTeX compiler. I use ShareLaTeX. Unfortunately I couldn't find one that didn't require an account (actually I did but it couldn't handle custom fonts and the standard doesn't have a great feel to it)
    6. Generate your PDF, save, and print
    Let me know what you think! Some caveats: non-standard charm formatting will cause errors. I've found at least one charm where there's a space missing between 'Type:' and 'Reflexive' which messes with the parsing. Additionally, it condenses all charm text into a single line meaning multi-paragraph charms will be condensed into a single paragraph, I don't think there's a way to avoid this.

All my code is open source or whatever. Feel free to do whatever you want to modify it (just let me know what you've changed). I am trying to learn load the script as a google docs app which would simplify loading the script. Let me know if you have questions or suggestions for output.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Overshee; 10-25-2015, 04:26 PM. Reason: clarification

I'm trying to run this and I am pulling an error on line 27 of the code "cannot call method "usbstring" of undefined"

Pronounced "Monkey Pie"

Find my actual play content here!

Comment

i have problems with ShareLatex but it's probably because i'm a total noob to programming

Comment

Originally posted by Monkipi View Post
        I'm trying to run this and I am pulling an error on line 27 of the code "cannot call method "usbstring" of undefined"
        Can you PM me with a link to your spreadsheet? I'll take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by legopaidi View Post
          i have problems with ShareLatex but it's probably because i'm a total noob to programming
          PM me the generated code from the script and I'll take a look. I've only tested the script on the 45 charms my players have picked (also this is my first time writing javascript), so it's quite possible that some don't play nice.

Comment

Working...
          X