Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PlotVitalNPC View Post

No, no.
    Like, in your original post you said "the thaumaturgy in question" which made me think you were assuming they would all be born with a particular ritual.
    Not giving them a ritual would lower the ambition if anything.

I was just saying "I doubt any sorcerer thinking matters through would spring for 5 dots of finesse and then dictate a particular ritual for the line to carry if they were thinking in practical terms, because if the line produces a variety of rituals like natural thaumaturges do, that means there's an opportunity to pick and choose the best ones to pass down via training".

You /might/ go finesse 5 just to define what happens if the lineage is severed by the childless death of a firstborn child, but even then I imagine you'd neglect to specify a particular thaumaturgy to be inherited. Plus, you'd have to be very confident in your odds of success.

Ooooh. See, I'd make it a lower ambition(maybe?) if like. It was explicity exorcists or talisman makers. I assumed it was a specific ritual line.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Extracting a willing soul into a new vessel is Solar 1, so… Solar 2?
      This was a few pages back, but is that not how it worked for Alchemicals and everyone in Autocthonia.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
        This was a few pages back, but is that not how it worked for Alchemicals and everyone in Autocthonia.
        That's a very different thing, that just has some superficial similarities.

When Autochthonian Alice dies, and her soulgem is pried loose and its contents emptied into the Radiant Amphora, and the soul finds its way into a new gem to be implanted into a newborn… it's not Alice anymore, it's Bob.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 04-29-2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

When Autochthonian Alice dies, and her soulgem is pried loose and its contents emptied into the Radiant Amphora, and the soul finds its way into a new gem to be implanted into a newborn… it's not Alice anymore, it's Bob.
          True, but it gives us the baseline. Retaining memories is a step up.
          Mind you the Forest Witches had an Artifact in first edition that did something similar. I'd need to read Outcasts again to get the details, but there does seem to be historical support for this kind of working.

Comment

• Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
            True, but it gives us the baseline. Retaining memories is a step up.
            Mind you the Forest Witches had an Artifact in first edition that did something similar. I'd need to read Outcasts again to get the details, but there does seem to be historical support for this kind of working.
            I didn't say it was impossible; I said it would be of the Solar circle.

Comment

I didn't say it was impossible; I said it would be of the Solar circle.
              I'm not even saying that is inaccurate; just that further down the line, we will have more resources to check on identifing the level of Ambition + the Circle.

Comment

That's not how Autochthonian soul gem works at all.

When a person with a soulgem dies the soul is trapped in the soul gem, yes, but it leaves a mark on the soul that's identifiable in the next incarnation. Then whenever a baby is born (the normal way with a normal soul), the Luminors check the mark and look up the soul's record to see which of the Autochthonian castes they should belong to.

Only after this is the soulgem of the appropriate shape implanted in the newborn's head.

It has no control over the actual cycle of reincarnation other than to push pause at the time of death. The only time a soul is implanted into a body in the manner you suggest is during the creation of an Alchemical exalt. Though it's worth pointing out that the Alchemical somehow remembers a lot from their past lives despite purges between lives and yet they're still completely different people when reborn as an alchemical. IE, even with all the memories of Alice, it's still not gonna be Alice who comes out of the vat.

Edit: Bolded the text I was specifically refuting for clarity
                Last edited by armyofwhispers; 04-30-2018, 11:14 AM.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• ah. Can I post links from other threads of sorcerous workings. They all have very interesting ideas.

Comment

• Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
                    That's not how Autochthonian soul gem works at all.
                    My apologies for forgetting to include the word "Alchemical" after "newborn." Yes, a soul going into a newborn mortal does not need to be implanted into a soulgem first; my larger point still stands, which is that regardless of whether it's a mortal or an Alchemical, the continuity-of-personhood is not maintained in the default setup of Autochthonia, making them drastically different from the suggested Working.

Also, even back in previous editions, the creation of soulgems was a significant mystical undertaking, hence why they used Artifact dots then.

Comment

My apologies for forgetting to include the word "Alchemical" after "newborn." Yes, a soul going into a newborn mortal does not need to be implanted into a soulgem first; my larger point still stands, which is that regardless of whether it's a mortal or an Alchemical, the continuity-of-personhood is not maintained in the default setup of Autochthonia, making them drastically different from the suggested Working.

Also, even back in previous editions, the creation of soulgems was a significant mystical undertaking, hence why they used Artifact dots then.
                      I do wonder how soul gems will be created this edition.

I think I'd actually do it by creating an artifact that with the appropriate reagents added, it can create new soulgems/recycle old ones. Otherwise I think they make more sense as workings than artifacts this time around since most artifacts are supposed to be singular wonders. Though if anywhere has the facilities for mass producing copies of low-dot artifacts it'd be Autochthon. Tough call.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• I don't see why it can't just be a Craft (or possibly Occult) roll. Duplicating a soulgem's functionality in Creation would be an incredible feat, but in Autochthon, it's perfectly natural. I assume that Authochthon expressly designed his metaphysical infrastructure to support it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                          Ah. thank you.

But it's only a terrestrial circle working. What are the upper limits of the evocations?
                          I would most likely cap it at 5. Now if as a player you came up with a really great idea on how to increase the power of the crown or asked if there was a way to make it able to get more evocations or powers I would work that out with you. a lot of it would depend on what the crown could already do and what you were wanting it to do that was new or upgraded to an existing power it has. I would definitely work with you on it though to make a narratively flavorful and useful item that was meaningful in use and accomplishment.

For example in increasing the crowns power to be able to hold or unlock more evocations. Maybe having several powerful gods each bless that crown with a powerful blessing. Finding a reclusive sage that has a craft skill or knowledge that they work upon the crown to increase its power things like that. I wont ever try to stifle a players enthusiasm for an item but I would make it suitably challenging as it means it is the equivalent to doing a working outside the power of the workings level. Another idea would be to do a working on the king or ruler to let them develop the thaumaturgy merit and maybe open up some creative space in that realm as the crown becomes Thaumaturgically linked to the bloodline?

Comment

• so was going to pitch this to my ST but I thought why not ask all you wonderful peoples here first instead.

Background: I have a Twilight Solar who is mentored by and believes in a god of Lightning and Storms. I was allowed to purchase a variant of the burning name and my char can shoot lightning bolts instead of flames. so currently it is the damage of a light mortal thrown weapon to short range. what I am wanting to do is up the ability a bit. Details below.

Upgrade the Burning Name Variant to do the following.
                            Use Artifact Light Weapon Stats for damage
                            Range extends to Medium
                            Possibly spend motes to use it to Long range.

I was looking over everything in the book and I was tending to peg this as Celestial 3 Finesse 5 for the first two items. not sure if this would allow the range extension though. Could I get some thoughts on what everyone thinks of this to help make sure this is balanced and not OP but can still get the little bit more oomph i was looking for?

Comment

• Originally posted by drakor View Post

Upgrade the Burning Name Variant to do the following.
                              Use Artifact Light Weapon Stats for damage
                              Range extends to Medium
                              Possibly spend motes to use it to Long range.
                              I think I'd put this at Celestial 2. It seems comparable to "Grant a supernatural power to oneself", particularly if you've already paid merit dots for the base effect. Finesse shouldn't change the stats, in my opinion - the working's ambition should be evaluated based on what you want, and Finesse would then adjust how that's accomplished. Everything you're asking for qualifies for Ambition 2, so you'd get it whether you had Finesse 1 or 5.

What Finesse might affect is other elements, like what you have to do to maintain the working (with lower Finesse, perhaps you have to stand out in a lightning storm at least once a month to build up a charge) or whether it can be potentially be taken from you (maybe it's tied to that rod of amber with rabbit-fur trimming you have to wear, and if someone grabbed it, you'd lose it), or whether using the power attracted significant attention (at Finesse 1, the lightning bolt might always come down from the sky, through you, and then strike your target, incidentally making you really obvious every time you used it).

Comment

• Originally posted by drakor View Post

For multiple abilities on the crown ideas i mentioned I would happily work it out with you. I would allow additional workings to the crown to add abilities. Maybe when you first made it it had ability x and after you added more runes of rulership and a gem representing each of the elemental poles it gains an additional power or two. It may be broken up into several different level workings for certain effects depending on what you wanted.
                                Oh oh oh. New ideas.

How about this

Bountiful nation:

This working means that whomever wears this crown, his group, his organization, or his nation state will gain the most in whatever resources they produce. The country's primary export is food? The fields are fertile. The plants are well grown and verdant. The country is primarily mining? The mines are literally dripping with gold and silver. The end effect is not supernatural. There are no magical materials. No artifact plants. No sudden bursts of sorcerers amongst you. What it does, is that it takes what makes your nation strong, and crank it up several notches.

Keen eye for talent:

I got this idea while reading Iris Zero. And a homebrewed demon called Vicero, the wasteland Khan. Iris Zero: Sasamori, a girl, has the power to literally think of a job, and use signs above a person's head to determine if this person is the best suited for the job or no, denoted by a cross or a tick. Vicero has a talent for picking the best servants and those with talent.

So let's say that the crown lets the king make a roll. Maybe Bureaucracy, social, or perception, or awareness. But he rolls. He botches? He gets wrong information. Maybe a alcoholic gets appointed to protect the wine cellar. He rolls ok? He manages to pick out, amongst a gathering of people, the best person for, say, leading his army. He rolls really well? He says a name, along with immediate family and appearance and circumstances, of a person that either is in his country or works under him by any means no matter how small, and that person is literally the best guy for the job.

Comment

Working...
                                X