Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
    Fair enough. In my case, it was the child of an Exalt endowed with magic powers, and the Exalt had to do a new working for new batches of powers.
    And fair on the Lintha, I meant more their demonblooded powers/potential.
    Given that Demon-Blooded aren't assumed to have Charms as the default anymore, and that even Demon-Blooded who do get the use of Charms from their magical heritage don't tend to be better at it than their demonic parent, I don't see reason to think a bog standard Lintha would pick up particularly more Charms than a bog standard demon.

(And of course, once we're into the territory of exceptions, well, that's kinda what I've been on about all along.)

​Now, for another sorcerous working question. Let's say I wanted to remake the flying carpet from Disney's Aladdin. Should it be a working, or an artifact, and which level of such?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      Given that Demon-Blooded aren't assumed to have Charms as the default anymore, and that even Demon-Blooded who do get the use of Charms from their magical heritage don't tend to be better at it than their demonic parent, I don't see reason to think a bog standard Lintha would pick up particularly more Charms than a bog standard demon.

(And of course, once we're into the territory of exceptions, well, that's kinda what I've been on about all along.)

​Now, for another sorcerous working question. Let's say I wanted to remake the flying carpet from Disney's Aladdin. Should it be a working, or an artifact, and which level of such?
      Hmmm. I'd say it's fine for a sorcerous working, as an intellegient flying carpet(I would allow a craft roll to, but this is a border case). I'd say celestial 1, since it's not building on the innate qualities of a rug to give it flight. Fits the "supernatural but minor" requirement.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        Let's say I wanted to remake the flying carpet from Disney's Aladdin. Should it be a working, or an artifact, and which level of such?
        I'm inclined to say "artifact" because, despite it being a sentient being, it still feels like a made thing to me. I realize there isn't any evidence for this (I suppose the cartoon might have gone into Carpet's backstory, but I don't recall that), but I believe that a) Carpet was crafted in a way that carpets generally are (i.e. woven), just with extra magic, and b) I don't really picture the process as involving first creating it, then enchanting it separately. Note that when Jafar destroys Carpet in the movie, he unravels it - I think that, if the creation of Carpet had involved weaving a mundane carpet then enchanting it, the process of destroying it would resemble classic D&D Dispel Magic - just point the staff, puff of magic pixie dust, and the carpet is now just an inanimate rug. Whereas the actual process reverses the creation process, which implies to me that the creation process was inherent to the magic.

Anyway, all that said, as an Artifact, I'd probably rate it at Artifact 5, and probably First Age Artifice. Compare it to Wings of the Raptor (Arms of the Chosen, p. 126) - at 4 dots, it's a mobility artifact, but only capable of carrying one person (the user) plus whatever weight they can lift, and it isn't capable of independent, intelligent thought.

If you were taking something like Carpet at character creation, though, I'd probably allow you to purchase it as Ally merit (probably 3-dot), rather than as an Artifact - Carpet is really an independent character, capable of being offended or choosing their own path, and doesn't quite have the level of total loyalty I'd expect from an artifact.

Comment

• I don't think that the carpet is such a powerful thing that it would be artifact 5 let alone FAA. I'd actually rate the carpet as a celestial 3 project. Similar to the creation of a notable god. Remember that flight is powerful but not game breaking. You can always summon an Agata and they'd be able to catch you and fly you around as well (though maybe not hit all the major landmarks across creation in one night).

As for Jafar destroying the carpet, remember first that artifacts cannot be destroyed in that manner. There is no 'dispel magic' in Exalted. However, a sorcerer could attempt a working to distort the working that created the carper. For instance rendering a thinking, carpet inert by unraveling it? Remember also that Jafar wished to become the world's most powerful "sorcerer"

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

• Necromantic, but same jist: I have a player who wants to unleash a horde of ghosts at his party, guised as a seance. The ghosts will reveal all the deepest and darkest secrets of guests in the room for all to hear. Since it's a one off use, I feel like this is more a working than a spell. Any ideas for what circle? Auto-reveal vs a roll against Resolve/Guile is still in the air

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
              The ghosts will reveal all the deepest and darkest secrets of guests in the room for all to hear. Since it's a one off use, I feel like this is more a working than a spell. Any ideas for what circle? Auto-reveal vs a roll against Resolve/Guile is still in the air
              If it's really all the secrets, I'd call it at least Celestial 3, if not Solar 1. That's pretty strong. If it's something a bit more limited, like "all the secrets that a reasonable Read Intentions pool could reveal", then that's a bit more limited, and I could see it as being low Celestial or even high Terrestrial, depending on how large an area was covered and how fast the ghosts could work.

Comment

• A working to cure a highly virulent, but non-magical (ie black plague, ebola, small pox, etc), disease over a 1) city, 2) continent, 3) whole world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fredo View Post
                  A working to cure a highly virulent, but non-magical (ie black plague, ebola, small pox, etc), disease over a 1) city, 2) continent, 3) whole world.

These are all going to be Solar Circle, just based on scale. Start at Solar 1 for the city, and go up one Ambition level for each step.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fredo View Post
                    A working to cure a highly virulent, but non-magical (ie black plague, ebola, small pox, etc), disease over a 1) city, 2) continent, 3) whole world.
                    Linking to this, how about a disease which causes you to gain resistance to Ebola? It's not deadly or even dangerous at all. But gives resistance.

Comment

• My Zenith Dreaming Pearl Courtesan Stylist's Kimono keeps getting destroyed, so she's going to imbue her next one with a sorcerous working.
                      Making a garment self-repair or not get torn/stained seems very low-end for a working, so what do you guys think could be tagged onto it while keeping it Ambition 1 Terrestrial (she is Essence 1)? Or do you think that's enough of a feature for the 2xp?
                      Bonus: what could you do with an ambition 2 Terrestrial working slapped onto a garment? Make the wearer immune to extreme heat or cold (as in not getting weary while travelling through tropical rainforests, or nordic blizzards, not being immune to being dropped into a volcano, or frozen by the wicked magics of the Fair Folk of the north)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Linking to this, how about a disease which causes you to gain resistance to Ebola? It's not deadly or even dangerous at all. But gives resistance.
                        Basically an infectious vaccination? Since many disease symptoms are really the results of viruses reproducing in the host and incidentally destroying a bunch of cells, I'd say that you effectively have to create a form of life with supernatural abilities here, the magical power to reproduce without harming the host. I'd peg this at Celestial 1, if "reproduces magically" was the only supernatural trait you gave it. If you wanted to add some safety factors like "will never mutate into a more-lethal variant", I'd bump it up to Celestial 2. And, note, it would spread like a normal disease too, so it might take a long time to immunize everyone in the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

Basically an infectious vaccination? Since many disease symptoms are really the results of viruses reproducing in the host and incidentally destroying a bunch of cells, I'd say that you effectively have to create a form of life with supernatural abilities here, the magical power to reproduce without harming the host. I'd peg this at Celestial 1, if "reproduces magically" was the only supernatural trait you gave it. If you wanted to add some safety factors like "will never mutate into a more-lethal variant", I'd bump it up to Celestial 2. And, note, it would spread like a normal disease too, so it might take a long time to immunize everyone in the world.
                          But.... this is creation.

I'm hoping to create a infectious bacteria with the same glycoprpotein as the one on the Ebola Virus's surface, so that the presence of the Ebola virus would provoke an immune response, and thus allow the body itself to fight it off. The presence of a protein on both the bacteria and the virus, means that once the body has gained immunity to the virus, it gains one to Ebola as well.

Also, this is, at most, Terrestrial 3. Adding in an extra protein on the bacterial surface is a mutation. Additional adaptations to ensure it is able to survive in a wide variety of environments is a mutation. And setting in extra structure to make sure that all DNA replication is done perfectly is also more mutations.

The terrestrial 3 is to make sure that no matter what, no one dies from this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                            My Zenith Dreaming Pearl Courtesan Stylist's Kimono keeps getting destroyed, so she's going to imbue her next one with a sorcerous working.
                            Making a garment self-repair or not get torn/stained seems very low-end for a working, so what do you guys think could be tagged onto it while keeping it Ambition 1 Terrestrial (she is Essence 1)? Or do you think that's enough of a feature for the 2xp?
                            Bonus: what could you do with an ambition 2 Terrestrial working slapped onto a garment? Make the wearer immune to extreme heat or cold (as in not getting weary while travelling through tropical rainforests, or nordic blizzards, not being immune to being dropped into a volcano, or frozen by the wicked magics of the Fair Folk of the north)?
                            Self-repair? Hah! Why a sorcerous working at all? Why not simply use the spell, elemental empowerment of wood?

Bonus: resistance against environmental effects, but not magical ones nor ones that are sent as attacks.

Comment

Also, this is, at most, Terrestrial 3.
                              Since you seem to know the answer you want already (it's always "Oh c'mon, it's Terrestrial at most"), why are you asking the questions? I'm no longer going to bother answering you.

Comment

But.... this is creation.

I'm hoping to create a infectious bacteria with the same glycoprpotein as the one on the Ebola Virus's surface, so that the presence of the Ebola virus would provoke an immune response, and thus allow the body itself to fight it off. The presence of a protein on both the bacteria and the virus, means that once the body has gained immunity to the virus, it gains one to Ebola as well.

Also, this is, at most, Terrestrial 3. Adding in an extra protein on the bacterial surface is a mutation. Additional adaptations to ensure it is able to survive in a wide variety of environments is a mutation. And setting in extra structure to make sure that all DNA replication is done perfectly is also more mutations.

The terrestrial 3 is to make sure that no matter what, no one dies from this.
                                I'd model this more as a working specifically to grant immunity to ebola to a region. Terrestrial 3 definitely, but the actual vector it takes would be a finesse thing. If you absolutely want to use a virus to help protect against a virus then that'd be finesse 5. All the stuff about modifying the bateria surface to have a specific protein? That's all how stuff works on Earth in the real world but as you say, this is creation

This sounds like something that a DB sorcerer should be able to do.

If you're talking a self-perpetuating thing that will eventually immunize the entirety of creation then that's simply out of the scope of a terrestrial working. That's high end solar working for sure. Otherwise the DB would have simply wiped out all disease forever already.

Check out my homebrew exalt: The Fabulists - Chosen of the Raksha here

Comment

Working...
                                X