No announcement yet.

Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, step one is finding or shaping a demesne on the spot you want. I'd say the process of reshaping an already-present demesne's aspect (say, from Fire to Wood) is a Craft (Geomancy) project about as difficult as a Celestial 2 Working. Then you use the Manse-raising rules on 243.

For this experiment you will require: a whole lot of bound spirits, When undertaking a massive construction project in a blasted wasteland, I strongly suggest recruiting workers that don't need to eat.

Get to work, Solomon.

Comment

• Hopping puppeteers.

See? Demons solve everything.

Comment

• An idea. A bell, that hangs in the town square. Rang every night and morning and noon.

Various possible uses:

1. Drives away creatures of darkness
        2. Breaks all unnatural influence effects or makes them obvious
        3. Drives away all pests and stuff.

Comment

• Lessee here...

Driving away creatures of darkness? Terrestrial 3 or so. Similar to, but greater than, Terrestrial 2's "ward a chamber against scrying, teleportation, or intrusion by a particular type of spirit." I'd have the bellringer roll the sorcerer's Intelligence+Occult pool with one automatic success to Instill fear or disgust in any creatures of darkness within earshot. They can still spend willpower,, or be driven on by a greater influence, but this'll keep your village on the edge of a shadowland from being incidentally wiped out by hungry ghosts.

For more stubborn boojums, you'll have to show up yourself and kick the ringleader in the teeth, like ya do.

Driving away all mundane pests? About a Terrestrial 2.

Breaking all unnatural influence (except those that explicitly cannot be broken)? My inclination is "that's a stationary Artifact 5 built into the local geomancy". But if I were to allow it as a working, Solar 2. with dire costs for both the bellringer and anyone set free.

Making all unnatural influence obvious, if it isn't already? Way easier, about a Celestial 1 or so, with the how and why depending on your Finesse.

Comment

• Huh. So.... unnatural mental influence is the deal breaker?

Comment

• Some mortal rings a magic bell and everybody within a few miles snaps out of any and all mindfuckery? Yeah, big deal. This completely borks:

Corrupted Words.

Nine out of ten things involving the Fair Folk.

Cheating Sigereth

Several Essence 3+ Dragonblooded charms that only work once per story, or only once on any given person.

Voice-Caging Caligraphy. Memory-Reweaving Discipline and so on.

Comment

• How about a small bell? Like, local level. Less than 50 meters. I like how the bells can be used as a symbol for 'waking up', letting people recover from unnatural mental influences or trances.

Comment

• Ooof. More ideas. Celestial Circle. Let's try out the Evil Eye.

1. Within one month, the target will die. It will be seemingly by accident. Whether a sudden heart attack, a clog in a brain vessel, slipping down the stairs, or a frozen turkey from a passing plane... he will die. The downside, is that it only works on mortals.

2. The target receives a botch, and the sorcerer can choose when this happens. Perhaps the next time the target fights an opponent, he slips and falls prone, and is slain. Perhaps a careless remark breaks his relationship with his wife. Or maybe so.

So?

Comment

• Sorcery's a lot of things, but I don't think "subtle" is one of them. That kind of thing is what Sidereals should get up to, if anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amayad View Post
                      Sorcery's a lot of things, but I don't think "subtle" is one of them. That kind of thing is what Sidereals should get up to, if anything.
                      Don't we have a poison touch and a dream attack?

Comment

• We do. Those are relatively subtle spells by Sorcery's standards. but Assassin's Fatal Touch can be diagnosed by supernatural investigation, and Silent Words of Dreams and Nightmares sends dreams and nightmares to people - who then know they're having oddly vivid dreams.

Cursing people such that the world plots to kill them via terminal misfortune? That's Sidereal Astrology.

Comment

• Originally posted by Amayad View Post
                          We do. Those are relatively subtle spells by Sorcery's standards. but Assassin's Fatal Touch can be diagnosed by supernatural investigation, and Silent Words of Dreams and Nightmares sends dreams and nightmares to people - who then know they're having oddly vivid dreams.

Cursing people such that the world plots to kill them via terminal misfortune? That's Sidereal Astrology.
                          Damn. What about this, then? Anyone with a hint of supernatural power, like sorcerers or god-blooded, can see the lingering doom on the person. The person himself feels a massive level of dread and fear as he tries to escape his impending death.

Comment

• Idea: zone of silence. A working cast on a person that makes it so that the person cannot be seen by scrying or remote tracking powers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                              Idea: zone of silence. A working cast on a person that makes it so that the person cannot be seen by scrying or remote tracking powers.
                              Every fashionable castle needs one!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_o...ce_(Get_Smart)

Check out Momentum Exalted!

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                                Idea: zone of silence. A working cast on a person that makes it so that the person cannot be seen by scrying or remote tracking powers.
                                Hm! I'd call that a good use of Celestial 2's "grant a supernatural power" option. Warding a chamber against scrying is Terrestrial 2, but making that effect follow a particular person is way more useful - because, y'know, they can still go about and live their lives without being spied on.

Comment

Working...
                                X