No announcement yet.

Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At bare minimum, I'd require that it cost a point of Willpower per Resources dot you'd need to be able to purchase it outright, and I wouldn't let it make magic or artifacts, living things, or anything more massive than a person.

I'd also require a roll if it needed to be made to certain specifications - Larceny or Craft, for instance, to make a key that fits a specific lock, Bureaucracy for convincing paperwork, Linguistics to have something in someone else's handwriting/style, Medicine for getting the dosage right on a serum to treat someone, Martial Arts in the given style for the technique scroll mentioned earlier, et cetera.

Probably also just a general "no shenanigans" clause.

If all that was in there, then maybe, maybe, Celestial 2.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-14-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Oh god finally. A computer.

That... wasn't what I meant. Do you remember glorious solar saber and glorious solar plate? That, except that there's no artifact crafting. No, you can't make stuff out of thin air.... but you can craft yourself a good sword when you're surprised in your bed. You can craft a laptop with a internet connection or a satellite phone when you're dropped into the wilderness from a falling airship.

That's... kinda it. Like... if there's info, its info you can find in a local library. If you want a book on how to mechanical clocks work, you can get it. Books on how to defeat the Yozis? On that new martial art? No.

The part about survival, craft, and fair folk are a thing, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        No, you can't make stuff out of thin air.... but you can craft yourself a good sword when you're surprised in your bed.
        Okay, unless you happen to have an ingot of iron by your bedside, ready to be forged, how is your scenario not "[making] stuff out of thin air?"

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
        The part about survival, craft, and fair folk are a thing, though.
        Thing is, even without the capacity to wish for artifacts or conjure something that possesses knowledge you don't have, this power is straight-up better than Magpie’s Nest Resourcefulness, the Lunar Charm we were given a preview of in July.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 12-15-2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• An idea. Willpower is precious in 3e, right?

Why not being able to mass summon demons, and spend extra willpower to do it?

Comment

An idea. Willpower is precious in 3e, right?

Why not being able to mass summon demons, and spend extra willpower to do it?
            Willpower is precious but gained in my experience easily. Having a mass summons that requires devoting nightly willpower over a month, culminating in the ritual gate opening on a new moon could work maybe?

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
              Willpower is precious but gained in my experience easily. Having a mass summons that requires devoting nightly willpower over a month, culminating in the ritual gate opening on a new moon could work maybe?
              Goddamnit. I think my vision of sorcery is much different from yours

Comment

I think your vision of the entire Exalted setting, much less Sorcery, is very much different from ours.

Comment

Well, if we are talking about a working instead of a spell, it would need to be more an object or place then a 'spell'. The problem with a spell is that Exalted tries to avoid making spells redundant--and a mass summon spell would make the other summon spells redundant.

I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

Comment

• After several years of careful cultivation by the mighty sorcerer, a small tree finally grows. Once during each month, the tree bears a single fruit; whoever eats the fruit becomes one year physically younger.

It's not quite the peaches of immortality, but it'll do.

(I was thinking Solar Ambition 3, but I'm actually not sure if the effects are too little or too much. It doesn't sound nearly as impressive as making modifications to the entire cosmos, but I assume that if restoring someone to the prime of youth is Solar Ambition 1, something that continually spits out age-reducing fruits without requiring another working is even better than that.

As far as immortality having a catch: someone could steal the fruit or even the tree, and there are probably millions of people in Creation who would commit any number of murders to get this thing in their possession.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                      After several years of careful cultivation by the mighty sorcerer, a small tree finally grows. Once during each month, the tree bears a single fruit; whoever eats the fruit becomes one year physically younger.

It's not quite the peaches of immortality, but it'll do.

(I was thinking Solar Ambition 3, but I'm actually not sure if the effects are too little or too much. It doesn't sound nearly as impressive as making modifications to the entire cosmos, but I assume that if restoring someone to the prime of youth is Solar Ambition 1, something that continually spits out age-reducing fruits without requiring another working is even better than that.

As far as immortality having a catch: someone could steal the fruit or even the tree, and there are probably millions of people in Creation who would commit any number of murders to get this thing in their possession.)
                      I like it. Could work either as artifice (craft with gardening specialty) or working. I would say solar 2. Solar 1 is restoring a person to its prime, this let you sell, spread out and repeat to a smaller extent but more in the long run. Consider questions such as; does the fruit spoil? Can you eat yourself into non-existance? Is it addictive? What if you split the fruit? What happens to bugs who have a nibble, if they do at all.
                      Last edited by Carrot Crusader; 01-15-2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                        After several years of careful cultivation by the mighty sorcerer, a small tree finally grows. Once during each month, the tree bears a single fruit; whoever eats the fruit becomes one year physically younger.

Personally, I'd peg it as Solar 1. Yes, it can spread out the youth a bit more than just restoring one person, but it also takes much longer to restore any one person, and as you noted yourself, it's much more vulnerable to theft. If you want to ensure it's Solar 1, maybe put a cap on the number of fruits a person can eat in a given time, either a hard cap ("no more than three fruits in a year"), or a softer one ("Each fruit eaten in a year after the first requires a (Stamina + Resistance) roll, with failure creating a permanent flaw").

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrot Crusader View Post
                          I like it. Could work either as artifice (craft with gardening specialty) or working. I would say solar 2. Solar 1 is restoring a person to its prime, this let you sell, spread out and repeat to a smaller extent but more in the long run. Consider questions such as; does the fruit spoil? Can you eat yourself into non-existance? Is it addictive? What if you split the fruit? What happens to bugs who have a nibble, if they do at all.
                          I'd say:
                          - The fruit spoils eventually, but it lasts a good while -- certainly long enough to transport and sell the fruits, if you've a mind to. (Of course, given that standard age-staving cordial costs Resources 5 in 3e, something that actually makes you younger would be hard to put a price tag on. Probably the kind of thing you trade for favors instead of money.) After two Calibrations have passed, the fruit has an uncertain effect when eaten -- the eater only gets (d10)*10% younger. After the third Calibration, the fruit is spoiled. A skilled winemaker could turn a sufficient quantity of spoiled fruits into a unique and remarkable beverage, but it won't make you any younger.
                          - I was originally thinking that it wouldn't push someone below the prime of youth, since these are meant to be a discount version of the peaches of immortality. I'd prefer to stick with this interpretation, mainly because the idea of someone eating youth-fruit until they ended up too young to survive is really pointlessly gruesome.
                          - It's not addictive. It doesn't really need to be. People would be desperate to get some of these fruits even before they'd ever tasted one.
                          - Splitting the fruit probably works fine. Eat half the fruit, you get half a year younger.
                          - I'm really not sure about the bugs. I guess if a bug nibbles 1% of a fruit, it gets a few days younger. Whoever eats the fruit probably won't notice that they only got 99% of a year younger. Practically speaking, I would expect a sorcerer who spends this much time on agriculture to have his garden protected from common pests somehow, but you never know.

If that would be merely Solar 1, do you think Solar Ambition 3 would be enough for a tree that grows an actual peach of immortality (or something functionally indistinguishable) once per year? I was thinking this was too much because Gnomon's Eternity-Reaping Renewal only produces one per decade; on the other hand, it's a lot easier for Gnomon's wielder to keep his staff safe than it is to protect a tree that can't easily be moved. (I wonder if the gods would be offended if some asshole sorcerer managed to reproduce their precious peaches.)

Comment

• How about a plant that gives out fruits, that can, with a medicine roll, transform into organs. Eyes, kidneys, livers, blood, skin... you can't create limbs from it, though, and it doesn't give you any bonuses for surgery. Just a cool way to give out supplies for your hospital.

Or appease beastmen. Or sacrifice hearts to the unconquered sun.

Comment

Working...
                            X