Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by armyofwhispers View Post
    So essentially infinite soak and infinite hardness?

    Yeah... no... not even at Solar level.

    It's worth mentioning that the only thing that even came close to this was the Yozi in 2E as of Return of the Scarlet Empress where they could choose to be material or immaterial based on whatever was most favorable, but stuff that could hit both still hit them. Even infernals couldn't pick up that charm until essence 10 iirc. and i think they needed to take the I AM (Yozi) charm first, so they literally weren't human enough for their exaltation to stick around at that point.
    Oh. Sure thing then. If you empower your attacks to hit spirits, then you can hit him. Its just that mundane attacks not backed by spirit cutting charms would just go through or bounce off.

    Comment


    • Idea.

      The elevating flame

      A flickering, green white flame bound to a plate that releases harmless heat. The elevating fire cannot harm living creatures. Sometimes, it is used as a danger less, cheap source of heat. That is not its main function.

      The elevating flame burns away at the essence of imperfection, impurity, and deficiency present in all things.

      All inanimate objects that pass through the fire are first repaired from any damage, whether by accident or age, then enhanced to near impossible levels. Peasant clothing becomes imperial raiment. Useless quartz is transformed into gemstones the size of a fist. Base metals are transformed into solid silver. Rusted swords are transformed into gleaming steel. The transformation is decided by the creator of the item and the person putting it into the fire. Both for the items function and what is considered to be precious a sword is a sword. And always will be so. But depending on the person using it, it is transformed into a ceremonial piece covered in gemstones and embossed with gold, or a cold piece of steel capable of cutting through armour plating.

      The Elevating Flame cannot alter living creatures, or otherwise harm them.

      Comment


      • An idea. A sorcerous working linked to a fire or earth demense. It outpours massive amounts of lava, that cool and solidify into solid steel. Used as a cheap source of raw materials for projects.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
          Idea.

          The elevating flame

          A flickering, green white flame bound to a plate that releases harmless heat. The elevating fire cannot harm living creatures. Sometimes, it is used as a danger less, cheap source of heat. That is not its main function.

          The elevating flame burns away at the essence of imperfection, impurity, and deficiency present in all things.

          All inanimate objects that pass through the fire are first repaired from any damage, whether by accident or age, then enhanced to near impossible levels. Peasant clothing becomes imperial raiment. Useless quartz is transformed into gemstones the size of a fist. Base metals are transformed into solid silver. Rusted swords are transformed into gleaming steel. The transformation is decided by the creator of the item and the person putting it into the fire. Both for the items function and what is considered to be precious a sword is a sword. And always will be so. But depending on the person using it, it is transformed into a ceremonial piece covered in gemstones and embossed with gold, or a cold piece of steel capable of cutting through armour plating.

          The Elevating Flame cannot alter living creatures, or otherwise harm them.
          This is a cool idea, but...it not only turns garbage into infinite wealth, but also upgrades the function of items in whatever way the person who created or who's using it would find precious? And it even does all the craftsmanship for you? (Making a ceremonial sword covered in gemstones would be quite a project, even if gold and gems were readily available.)

          I don't think I'd allow a single working to do all of this stuff. Even assuming it can't create or modify artifacts, it's infinite resources (of many kinds) with no effort. And just imagine the creative ways in which players would abuse it.

          The lava-steel thing is pretty reasonable, though. I'd probably call that Celestial Ambition 3. Infinite steel is a hell of a resource, but valuable as it is, it doesn't really feel quite big enough to be a Solar working.

          Comment


          • Celestial ambition 3? I'll put it as... Well, ambition 2. With the caveat that it produces enough steel for an entire civilization.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jefepato View Post

              This is a cool idea, but...it not only turns garbage into infinite wealth, but also upgrades the function of items in whatever way the person who created or who's using it would find precious? And it even does all the craftsmanship for you? (Making a ceremonial sword covered in gemstones would be quite a project, even if gold and gems were readily available.)

              I don't think I'd allow a single working to do all of this stuff. Even assuming it can't create or modify artifacts, it's infinite resources (of many kinds) with no effort. And just imagine the creative ways in which players would abuse it.
              Woah.

              ..... maybe its just me, but infinite resources kinda felt 'meh' to me. I mean, there's already a mercury ant which can transmute gold and silver, and you can hire earth elementals to dig up gold and jewellery. Someone already homebrewed demons that produce gemstones and act as living iron smelters.

              Maybe its 2 workings?

              One is a working that makes any thing that goes through it 'better'. Rusty swords goes in, pristine steel comes out. Chipped pot goes in, fine china comes out.

              Another is a working that transmutes materials. Pour in rock, and out comes gemstones and silver.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                ... maybe its just me, but infinite resources kinda felt 'meh' to me.
                It shouldn't.

                Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                I mean, there's already a mercury ant which can transmute gold and silver, and you can hire earth elementals to dig up gold and jewellery.
                These have their limits; the mercury ant is limited by its mote pool, the materials you give it, and the demands of its quicksilver queen; the other earth elementals by having to actually find and go get the metals you ask for, assuming there even is any that no existing elementals have claimed. Neither is spinning infinite money out of nowhere.

                Comment


                • Well, in that case, I propose a working that binds a certain back ground to you, that takes dedicated effort by supernatural means to deprive you of it.

                  Like... you will always have resources five. No matter what. Things just go well for you, and you get rich. Stuck in North, with only your clothes on your back? In a week or so, you're eating meat beside a roaring fire, sleeping on furs. In 3 weeks, you're being fed meat from the South, with several serving girls right beside you on the king sized mattress made from the coat of whatever.

                  You cannot be deprived of resources. Not permanently. But the only way for you to be stuck in a position you can't buy, bribe, gift, or otherwise your way out is to punt you into a deserted island.

                  Same for, say, Allies or Contacts.

                  Comment


                  • Sorcerous working: ?

                    Ambition: ?

                    The Great Laborer of Lagadoom

                    The town of Lagadoom once found an immense bounty. Metallic ore, in great quantity and purity. An immense find, enough to make a profit and wealth that would make a merchant prince envious. There was, of course, one problem. Transport. The town of Lagadoom, and its surrounding area, was filled with mountains. Worst of all, there was a distinct lack of trees, coal, or fuel. Lagadoom could barely process any of the ores themselves. And thus the ores and refined metals in Lagadoom stood there, useless, with the merchants only picking up the rare and easy to carry gemstones.

                    Less than 20 miles away was a city with working refineries, one that could easily process the ore and transform it into finished goods to sell to the trade network it was connected to. Lagadoom could be transformed from sleepy mining town into a massive mining hub. If only they could transport the ores off these damnable mountains.

                    And transport was developed by a sorcerer, native to the town, granted power by a wandering elemental of flame. Deciding to devote himself to the betterment of his home city, he called in favours from dozens of spirits, took dangerous quests to obtain rare materials such as red jade and orichalcum, and even once stole blood from a volcano god, all to complete his project. The days turned from weeks to months to seasons to years. After 2 decades of work, the Great Labourer was born.

                    Shaped like a massive carriage, covered in red jade that glowed with the sigils symbolizing hard work, labour, non-stop diligence, and tireless perseverence, the Labourer is an automaton that frightens and awes any who look upon it. Steam and smoke hiss from a grill in its mouth, while behind it, trail the numerous carriages and containers that it uses to transport the goods and services up the mountain. With its help, the town of Lagadoom has transformed into small, sleepy town into a thriving city of tens of thousands, all with the prosperity of the mines.

                    The sorcerer's name is lost to time, though. His corpse missing, gone to somewhere unknown. But if one were to somehow find the hatchway to the cabin of the Labourer, one would find the sorcerer's mummified corpse within, his hands clenching the steering wheel, his name etched upon the dashboard.

                    Attributes: Strength 15, Stamina N/A, Dexterity 10, Intelligence 2, Wits 3, Perception 4
                    Abilities: Athletics 8 (unsteady ground +3), Resistance 4 (+3 to dangerous environment)

                    Merits:

                    Steady movement: The Labourer's cargo is always in safety. No matter whether in the midst of an earthquake or moving upside down, it will always chug along, with no disruption inside. Not a drop of water will be spilled, and a pyramid of cards will not collapse. No disruption to the cargo under ordinary circumstances, save for direct attack or destruction of the labourer

                    Anywhere goes: The Labourer can go anywhere. This is literal. It can drive over water as if dry land, move across sheer cliffs as if it was on flat ground, and ride on the tops of buildings and treetops as if it was on a flat terrain. Ignore all penalties due to terrain.

                    Optimized procedure: The cargo must be kept well. This is a fact. Meat will not spoil. Passengers will be fed and watered. Pottery and fine China will not shatter. Ice will not melt. Anything stored in the laborer's cars and transported, will not decay or otherwise be damaged.

                    Charms:

                    Creation of transport (10m)
                    The Laborer can transport any amount of things... as long as it has the power to do so. Spending 10m allows it to produce one passenger car, one railroad car, or anything needed for transport.

                    Host of spirits:
                    Produces golems composed out of clockworks and steam to load and unload cargo, or to cook and serve food to passengers, or fight off intruders

                    Travelling the air (2m)
                    Upon meeting a gap where it does not wish to cross, whether because it is a bottomless chasm or to move above a hoard of zombies, the Laborer can produce a ghostly road from beneath its wheels, that lasts long enough for the cars behind it to travel over. Every activation of this charm allows it to travel 100 meters

                    Shapechange
                    The Laborer shifts and shrinks and changes beyond what should be physically possible. It can make 45 degree turns, although such a thing should snap its passenger cars in half, and it can squeeze through gaps half a meter wide.

                    Complications:

                    The sorcerer was of the terrestrial circle, and so despite his attempts, some part of his working had unintended consequences. It is these consequences that there is a furnace within the Laborer, and the first car is always full of coal. The furnace powers the laborer. Were the flame were to go out, then it would slowly grind to a shuddering halt. Were anything hotter than glowing coal to be shovelled within it, then it would gain motive power and move again. The greater the fire, the hotter. Red-hot coals would make it move at normal speed. A flame akin to that of a campfire would double its normal speed. A bonfire capable of making the foremen sweat and and is burning white, make it go thrice as fast. And a great blaze capable of melting a steel sword stuck into it quadraples the Laborer's speed.

                    Note: Not sure whether this is high terrestrial, or low celestial.

                    Comment


                    • I just realized something. You can grant merits through sorcery. Unusual Hide, Mighty Thews...

                      Can you also grant story merits, like ally, or Resources?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                        I just realized something. You can grant merits through sorcery. Unusual Hide, Mighty Thews...

                        Can you also grant story merits, like ally, or Resources?
                        I mean, you can make the battle groups command would give you, or the creature ally would give you (or use sorcery to enchant someone into being your ally) so yeah.


                        I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

                          I mean, you can make the battle groups command would give you, or the creature ally would give you (or use sorcery to enchant someone into being your ally) so yeah.
                          I meant give someone resources 5.

                          Maybe there's a miscommunication here

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

                            I meant give someone resources 5.

                            Maybe there's a miscommunication here
                            I was just grabbing story merits. Can you make the wealth of a small nation with a working? Yeah probably.


                            I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

                            Comment


                            • But Sorcerous Workings don´t grant merits. They grant something, that is represented as a merit.

                              They give you a skin of flexible marble, also known as Unusual Hide 4 or 5. They turn your hands in shadowy, giant claws when the power word is pronounced, that is,Claws 3 with the Subtetly upgrade.

                              As such, they can´t give you Resources 5. They can give you an inexhaustible fountain of liquid gold, which will allow you to live as a king (represented as... Resources 5, maybe). Or an army made of silent, self-repairing paper-soldiers (Command, with some Might). But never the raw Merit, because the raw Merit doesn´t exist.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post
                                But Sorcerous Workings don´t grant merits. They grant something, that is represented as a merit.

                                They give you a skin of flexible marble, also known as Unusual Hide 4 or 5. They turn your hands in shadowy, giant claws when the power word is pronounced, that is,Claws 3 with the Subtetly upgrade.

                                As such, they can´t give you Resources 5. They can give you an inexhaustible fountain of liquid gold, which will allow you to live as a king (represented as... Resources 5, maybe). Or an army made of silent, self-repairing paper-soldiers (Command, with some Might). But never the raw Merit, because the raw Merit doesn´t exist.
                                Also this, yes. I was being laconic, but the result of a working can be a story merit.


                                I did a lot of homebrew over here. PEACH.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X