Sorcerous Workings: Where We Make Judgments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    The character wasn't called Shitbreath, that's just what Beast calls him.
    It was a comedy session like 2 years ago.

Ah okay. Guess I'll do one.

If I'm a sorcerer with the Thautmurgy Exorcism (2 dot version), what level of working would modify it to:
    1) Let me direct what object the demon is exorcised into?
    2) bind said trapped demons to me with a Major intimacy?

(I haven't checked Solar and DB Occult charms if they can pull off this effect without as much effort).
    My guess is Celestial 2, but any thoughts?

The Book of Laughing Serpents, Vol 1,Vol. 2,,Vol 3; Vol 4; Vol 5
    Patreon, with my own games, horror stories, and folklore research here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here
    My free folklore research and horror writing blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

The character wasn't called Shitbreath, that's just what Beast calls him.
      It was a comedy session like 2 years ago.
      More like last Christmas and scarred me for life , maybe it was comedy for the ST but my character was deeply traumatised. Which is why he got the major intimacy against it and I don’t want him coming back this Christmas which is why I need to make the working to defend myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

Ah okay. Guess I'll do one.

If I'm a sorcerer with the Thautmurgy Exorcism (2 dot version), what level of working would modify it to:
        1) Let me direct what object the demon is exorcised into?
        2) bind said trapped demons to me with a Major intimacy?

(I haven't checked Solar and DB Occult charms if they can pull off this effect without as much effort).
        My guess is Celestial 2, but any thoughts?
        I'm pretty sure it does let you direct what object the demon is exorcised into. It just lists alternatives you could choose to put it into.

In terms of splat charms, most Dragonblood charms just let you expel a possessing demon and not put it anywhere particular, but the Earth charm Anathema-Sealing Term lets you seal a spirit you incapicatated in a cave, pillar, statue, under a mountain, etc.

Burning Exorcism Technique (a Solar charm) lets you absorb a possessing spirit, and Soul Projection lets you put it into people.

Lunars have charms that let you exorcise a possessing spirit and put it into an animal, or into an amulet you carry (which then lets you use its Eclipse-okay charms).

But these Solar and Lunar charms only work on possessing spirits like Fulope and Nemissaries. Not a rock-solid blood ape.

My characters:
        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

I'm pretty sure it does let you direct what object the demon is exorcised into. It just lists alternatives you could choose to put it into.

In terms of splat charms, most Dragonblood charms just let you expel a possessing demon and not put it anywhere particular, but the Earth charm Anathema-Sealing Term lets you seal a spirit you incapicatated in a cave, pillar, statue, under a mountain, etc.

Burning Exorcism Technique (a Solar charm) lets you absorb a possessing spirit, and Soul Projection lets you put it into people.

Lunars have charms that let you exorcise a possessing spirit and put it into an animal, or into an amulet you carry (which then lets you use its Eclipse-okay charms).

But these Solar and Lunar charms only work on possessing spirits like Fulope and Nemissaries. Not a rock-solid blood ape.
          It mentions being able to free them if you can find the object—which I took to mean a random object nearby. Any thoughts on the intimacy buff? I’m thinking of storing enemy demons in a brass vessel.

Patreon, with my own games, horror stories, and folklore research here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
          My free folklore research and horror writing blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

• So I have a few questions :

1) What's the difficulty of regrowing lost limbs, or in general to Flaws you may find yourself with after a crippling injury ? Because one of my players had a crippling injury of his arm, and it seems like a mutation to me (so Terrestrial 2) to have more arm with a mutation, and what was a cool wound he got in a terrific fight become 4 exp in 1 week, which I found kinda boring. I realized something might be off when I realised the Solar Charm to do the equivalent is Essence 3, which made me wonder if someone had a better insight on the question.

2) The theme of my campaign was the Grand Beasts, ancient creatures made by the Solar of this civilisation to watch upon their land. One theme is the relation of the descendant of those people with the Beasts, and the relation of the reborn Solars with those beasts. In particular, this begged the question : What's the difficulty for conceiving this kind of being ? I don't expect a single uniform answer, because all the Beasts are not equals ("All Great Beasts are equal but some or more equals than others" might be a good proverb for the people of these lands I guess ). Let's take an example : There is the Great Owl of the Forest, something that might be close to a Giant Wood Elemental, Legendary Size, capable of summoning armies of Wood Elemental to protect the giant forest he protects, travelling extremely fast accross it. I feel like this Owl would totally outmatch Octavian, the Living Tower, supposed to be the baseline combattant of second circle power of sorcerous workings (I guess). Plus the owl has many other qualities and interesting powers, further separating him from Octavian. Still I don't think this Owl should be compared to Third Circle Demons (since I only read the Splats books of Ex3 I sort of imagine these Demons being cosmic powerful, not just huge ass hp with summoning power of armies). What would that be ? Is it possible to create this Owl with sorcery ? What about the Giant Spider of Earth, the first new Grand Beast made by the players to help their people live in the chain of mountains they settled in, able to forage deep into the earth and reconfigure the tunnels that were left by their ancestors to find hidden secrets of the past and make the life of invaders more difficult ? I put it Celestial 3, because I wanted my players being able to do it (they talked of it for a long time, and it was an interesting idea to have them muster the power to finalize it), but I'm not sure it was in line with the rules as intended.

Comment

• 1) Well, I'd argue that it depends at least partly on the how of it. Adding an extra arm through a mutation would indeed be Terrestrial 2, but absent Finesse 5, as an ST I'd be inclined to make it different based on the circumstances of its origin. If Hogane loses an arm and Seamstress of Dissolution makes him a replacement from pieces she took off a shark-god, it'd function like an arm, but cosmetically it'd be very different, Terrestrial 2. If Gasp of the Drowning gets his legs torn off and has new ones forged out of steel and binds ghosts to animate them, they'd function like legs, but he'll be substantially heavier; if he also wants some sort of powers related to the ghosts inhabiting his legs, Celestial 2, otherwise, Terrestrial 2. If a vodonik comes to Admiral Misu with his arm ripped off, and Admiral Misu has his allies in the fae courts turn the severed limb into a tree that bears limb-fruits that the vodonik can have grafted back on, I'd also put that in Celestial range since now the vodonik can come back for a new arm every month if he wants.

Comment

• Yeah, I think what I missed was a bit of the "How you do your arm-regrowing stuff ?". I was actually so not prepared by his plan I lost my ability as an ST to make a cool situation of everything, thanks for your reply. Why do you think the equivalent Charm for Solar is so high in Essence though ?

Comment

• Like the long time it takes, I assume it's because in this edition you can avoid death by taking a crippling injury.

So if you could heal crippling injuries easily, being beaten to death would be something you could easily avoid, which'd make the fights lack danger.

My characters:
                  Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• Yeah but I believe having it be mostly a Terrestrial 2 Working defeat this purpose

Comment

• Being pretty obviously the guy who keeps going to sorcerers for limb replacements is something of a consequence in its own right.

Comment

• I think you can only do the crippling injury "trick" once per story anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                          Yeah but I believe having it be mostly a Terrestrial 2 Working defeat this purpose

I would say that, no matter what version the Terrestrial 2 version takes, it will always be a mutation - that is, it will be obviously unnatural in some way. Healing a crippling injury perfectly, in a way that isn't obvious that you've been warped by sorcery, would be Celestial 1, minimum. That puts it in line, essence-wise, with Wholeness-Restoring Meditation, the Solar Medicine charm that heals crippling injuries. Note also that every sorcerous working requires XP to be used, and a working requires, absolute bare minimum, a week of work from the sorcerer as well, whereas the charm requires only 4 hours of work (though the interval for the charm is longer, so it might take longer overall). I think all these factors make regenerating parts through sorcery reasonably balanced with Solar Medicine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                            I think you can only do the crippling injury "trick" once per story anyway.
                            This is true, but it's still an obvious and significant character-defining feature, not simply "1/story, don't die."

My characters:

Comment

• Considering that regrowing limbs and healing other crippling injuries is specifically what solar medicine does I dnt think it should be done with a sorcerous working considering even with supernal medicine and lots of successes it usually takes months to regrow lost limbs. Unless you want to replace an arm with a tentacle or something then by all means magic away.

Comment

• Regrowing a limb was the last Sorcerous Working done in my campaign :P

It was stablished from the start that the arm couldn´t be a "normal" arm, and the player ended with a shadowy arm which strenght was as real as the sorcerer´s will: as he lost Willpower, the arm would become more transparent, and if he had 0 WP the arm would completely disappear and be unusable until he regained at least one WP.

Comment

Working...
                                X